Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165786 - 05/10/12 07:02 AM Call before you hike
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
One habit I got into last year was calling the Forest Service before going out on a hike. One trail I was planning to hike was closed due to a plane crash at the trailhead which triggered a forest fire.

In Nov, there was a major windstorm in Colorado. Many trails on a line about 50 miles south of Salida to 20 miles north are closed this year due to MANY fallen trees. Parts of the trail to Mt. Shavano are covered with 10 feet of trees according to a trail report I read.

#165787 - 05/10/12 08:18 AM Re: Call before you hike [Re: Gershon]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I usually do this, too. Earlier this year, I found out that a side trail had been closed, and the main trail re-routed, because a section of the forest was being logged. (This is in Ohio, and the forest is managed as a pulpwood-producing forest, so it's not like they were destroying old-growth woods.) I've also, in the past, learned that streams I intended to rely on were dry, or that other local conditions were changed since my last visit.

It's a good idea.

#165801 - 05/10/12 02:45 PM Re: Call before you hike [Re: Gershon]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Unfortunately my experience has been that information from the "office staff" is too often wrong or out-dated. They tend to be overly cautious assuming the lowest common denominator of hiker, so will often say "too much snow" when there really are only a few patches. The young college interns often want to please (answer your questions) so much that they will just pass on rumors instead of verifying accuracy. So except for the very obvious, I do not find a call very useful.

#165804 - 05/10/12 03:30 PM Re: Call before you hike [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Offline

I suspect it varies from region to region. Around here, dealing with Ohio Dept of Natural Resources and NFS offices usually yields good, reliable advice. Perhaps it's because our trail systems aren't as long or numerous, or as subject to sudden and severe weather impact - it's probably easier for them to stay current when there's not as much data to deal with. I've also found they're very forthcoming about saying "I don't know" when they don't know, and that they'll then try to connect you with someone who does (or arrange to relay information once they find out.)

#165806 - 05/10/12 04:10 PM Re: Call before you hike [Re: Glenn]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You never know what kind of information you will get. I remember the time I was supposed to lead a dayhike in early May. The ranger station said, "Oh, the valley is still completely covered with snow." Sure enough, the place was almost solid white--not with snow, but with blooming trilliums! The other people on the hike agreed it was one of the most beautiful wildflower hikes they'd ever been on.

Then there is the Wallowa Mountains Visitor Center in Enterprise, OR. I have called several times only to receive outdated information and nothing that hadn't been on their website months before. I know some people who have gotten not just outdated but completely erroneous information from them. They also apparently refuse to accept reports from hikers who have just returned from the field, which amazes me--most USFS ranger stations are happy to have hiker reports. I've found out since that the Wallowa Lake Lodge is a much better source of trail condition information in that area.

Admittedly, with continuing severe budget cuts, the Forest Service folks can't get out into the field as much as they used to, so it's no surprise that their information is often out of date. Keep in mind, also, that you'll probably be talking to a clerical employee in a woefully understaffed office!

The best information I've ever gotten from the US Forest Service was at the Shoshone NF ranger station in Lander, WY. The lady there printed me out a weather report, gave me lots of current info about the west side of the Wind Rivers even though it's in another national forest (she even offered to call the Pinedale Ranger Station for me), and gave me directions to several places in town where I could buy topographic maps, since they were out of the one map I most needed.

I can only say: yes, call the land management agency (ranger station), but do check other information sources as well! If there's a hiker's forum or two for the area you're in, keep tabs on their trip reports. If not, google to see if there are any nearby hiking or climbing clubs (another good info source) or recent trip reports in that area. Locally owned outdoor stores often have recent information for their area or know where to find it. And don't dismiss commercial outfitters as a source of information.

#165808 - 05/10/12 04:29 PM Re: Call before you hike [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

That's a good point: don't rely on a single source of information. Land management agencies are one source, but you list a number of excellent other sources.

#165810 - 05/10/12 05:20 PM Re: Call before you hike [Re: Glenn]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Sometimes, especially early in the season, you may be the first person out there. Be prepared to be a pioneer! You may have to turn around if it gets too bad. And do notify the land manager! Even if there's no trail maintenance budget (which there probably isn't), the land managers may be able to send volunteer groups that way. Also, if there's a hiking forum for that area, post a report there. If the trail is free and clear, a lot of folks will be happy to know!

#165819 - 05/10/12 11:17 PM Re: Call before you hike [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Sometimes, especially early in the season, you may be the first person out there. Be prepared to be a pioneer! You may have to turn around if it gets too bad. And do notify the land manager! Even if there's no trail maintenance budget (which there probably isn't), the land managers may be able to send volunteer groups that way.

Absolutely! We do this on many of our hikes--we are the first, or among the first, to go into the area. The rangers may not have much info...so when we get out, we always stop and give them a quick report. Most of them are quite astonished at this...but generally grateful for the information.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 167 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum