Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160968 - 01/23/12 03:45 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Jim,

based on the cone I have I would need the larger sized Ziploc container. The one in your picture looks like a medium. So far I haven't found a large container made by Ziploc

#160972 - 01/23/12 05:07 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Ewker]
Hikin Jim Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA, USA
How tall is your cone?

HJ

#161008 - 01/24/12 08:42 AM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
Ewker Offline

I don't have it with me but it sticks out of the Medium size ziploc container (like the one in your picture) by 1/2" to 1"

#161023 - 01/24/12 10:53 AM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Ewker]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By Ewker
I don't have it with me but it sticks out of the Medium size ziploc container (like the one in your picture) by 1/2" to 1"
That sounds normal. Mine sticks out 5/8". I then fit the lid of the Ziploc over the rim of the cone. It's sufficient protection.

My Caldera Cone in a Ziploc container:

I examine the various options in What "Color" is your Caldera? if you're interested.

HJ

#161029 - 01/24/12 11:39 AM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
Ewker Offline

I hadn't noticed that picture showing your cone sticks out of the container. That looks about how far mine is sticking out. I will have to double check once I get home to see if it fits inside the top like you show.

I do like the Ziploc container more than the one that comes with the cone. If my foster pot set will fit in that one I will swap it out

#161119 - 01/25/12 04:18 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Ewker]
Hikin Jim Offline

It works pretty well even though it sticks out. The Ziploc is a better fit in my opinion for a rolled cone, the Ziploc is easier to clean, and of course the Ziploc is cheap. smile

HJ

#161454 - 01/30/12 09:06 AM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
Ewker Offline

Lat night I finally got around to try out the cone and stove with my pot. I noticed that the pot is a little hard placing it in the cone. I had to put the pot in the cone then sit it all over the stove. Does this get easier the more you use it?

The pot we use is a 1650ml which is for 2 of us. I put 3 cups of cold water (from the fridge) in the pot. I read the direction which calls for 15 to 20ml of fuel for 2 cups of water. I put 30ml of fuel in the stove and fired it up. I place the cone/pot over the stove and waited. The water never got to a boil. It got hot but not boiling. I wanted to try it again with 40ml of fuel but we had the grandkids dropped off so I had to stop. Hopefully I can get out there tonight to see if the 40ml of fuel will work.

#161487 - 01/30/12 10:35 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Ewker]
Hikin Jim Offline

Lat night I finally got around to try out the cone and stove with my pot. I noticed that the pot is a little hard placing it in the cone. I had to put the pot in the cone then sit it all over the stove. Does this get easier the more you use it?

The pot we use is a 1650ml which is for 2 of us. I put 3 cups of cold water (from the fridge) in the pot. I read the direction which calls for 15 to 20ml of fuel for 2 cups of water. I put 30ml of fuel in the stove and fired it up. I place the cone/pot over the stove and waited. The water never got to a boil. It got hot but not boiling. I wanted to try it again with 40ml of fuel but we had the grandkids dropped off so I had to stop. Hopefully I can get out there tonight to see if the 40ml of fuel will work.
It's a little bit fiddly to get the pot into the cone, but you get used to it. In some ways it's nice since I can pick up my pot and cone as a unit by just grabbing the handles on the pot. I can move it over as a unit and use my Sierra cup to snuff the flames out.

I usually figure about 25ml of HEET for 500ml of water. Usually less works, particularly if I'm using a higher ethanol content fuel, but 25ml always gets two cups to boil. 35ml will probably work for you, and 40ml should definitely do it.

HJ

#161879 - 02/09/12 01:11 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: ringtail]
QiWiz Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
I'm a big fan of the Caldera Cone. Have migrated to the Ti-Tri versions so that I can use a twig fire as backup if I run out of alcohol or Esbit, or if I am melting snow in the winter. I have two, one that fits my larger 1.3L Evernew and one that fits my Stanco aluminum greasepot (and also fits a 900ml Evernew BTW).

#161924 - 02/09/12 10:28 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: QiWiz]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By Rob Kelly
I'm a big fan of the Caldera Cone. Have migrated to the Ti-Tri versions so that I can use a twig fire as backup if I run out of alcohol or Esbit, or if I am melting snow in the winter. I have two, one that fits my larger 1.3L Evernew and one that fits my Stanco aluminum greasepot (and also fits a 900ml Evernew BTW).
Hi, Rob,

I tried out a Ti version for the first time a few weeks ago. It was really nice to be able to use wood.

The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone

HJ

#164782 - 04/09/12 10:43 AM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Ewker]
Ewker Offline

after using the Caldera Cone this weekend I am not impressed with it. It took 70ml of fuel to boil 40 ounces of water. That is not effective IMO. I will be cooking for two people so I am beginning to think a canister stove is going to be the best option for us.

#164810 - 04/09/12 08:15 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Ewker]
Hikin Jim Offline

after using the Caldera Cone this weekend I am not impressed with it. It took 70ml of fuel to boil 40 ounces of water. That is not effective IMO. I will be cooking for two people so I am beginning to think a canister stove is going to be the best option for us.
That's odd. That seems unusually high for a Caldera Cone.

I use a Caldera Cone with a 850ml MSR Titan kettle with a tight lid. I can easily boil 16 fl oz of water with 18ml of green denatured alcohol or 24ml of HEET. Proportionally, it should only take about 45ml - 60ml to boil 40 fl oz of water, depending on what kind of fuel you're using. Your fuel usage sounds a little high.

What kind of fuel are you using? Do you have any photos of your set up in use?

You're boiling 5 cups at a time (1.25 qt) it sounds like. That is a bit more than the average alcohol stove user. Usually, when I boil that much at once I take a stove that uses a petroleum based fuel.

HJ

#164843 - 04/10/12 10:23 AM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
Ewker Offline

Originally Posted By Hikin Jim
That's odd. That seems unusually high for a Caldera Cone.

I use a Caldera Cone with a 850ml MSR Titan kettle with a tight lid. I can easily boil 16 fl oz of water with 18ml of green denatured alcohol or 24ml of HEET. Proportionally, it should only take about 45ml - 60ml to boil 40 fl oz of water, depending on what kind of fuel you're using. Your fuel usage sounds a little high.

What kind of fuel are you using? Do you have any photos of your set up in use?

You're boiling 5 cups at a time (1.25 qt) it sounds like. That is a bit more than the average alcohol stove user. Usually, when I boil that much at once I take a stove that uses a petroleum based fuel.

HJ

I am using denatued alcohol and the pot I use is a Titanium 1650ml pot. This pot is larger than what most people use but I am cooking/boiling water for 2 people.

#164845 - 04/10/12 11:18 AM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Ewker]
Hikin Jim Offline

Is it a tall, narrow pot?

HJ

#164850 - 04/10/12 12:41 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
Ewker Offline

Is it a tall, narrow pot?

HJ

http://www.backcountry.com/backcountry-titanium-cookset-1650ml

Pot Dimensions:14.5 x 8 cm
Fry Pan Dimensions:14 x 3 cm

#164855 - 04/10/12 01:23 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Ewker]
Hikin Jim Offline

OK, obviously not a tall, narrow pot. Worth asking, though, since a narrow pot can have wasted flames going up, around the sides.

Not sure why you're having to use so much alcohol. Like I say, if I'm going to be regularly boiling more than a liter or so, I'll typically switch to a fuel other than alcohol (wood, white gas, or canister gas usually).

HJ

#164860 - 04/10/12 03:40 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
Ewker Offline

OK, obviously not a tall, narrow pot. Worth asking, though, since a narrow pot can have wasted flames going up, around the sides.

Not sure why you're having to use so much alcohol. Like I say, if I'm going to be regularly boiling more than a liter or so, I'll typically switch to a fuel other than alcohol (wood, white gas, or canister gas usually).

HJ

I am thinking about trying a different alcohol stove (old whitebox) and seeing how it works compared to the one supplied with the cone. I have nothing to lose by it. I may send an email to traildesigns and tell him how it is working and see if he has any ideas.

Edited by Ewker (04/10/12 04:45 PM)

#164862 - 04/10/12 04:32 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Ewker]
Hikin Jim Offline

A Whitebox stove is typically faster but also usually requires more fuel.

HJ

#164864 - 04/10/12 04:46 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
Ewker Offline

can't be any worse that now...just sayin

#164865 - 04/10/12 04:57 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Ewker]
Hikin Jim Offline

lol. Well, I'll be curious to hear how it goes.

HJ

#164894 - 04/11/12 12:33 AM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
Hikin Jim Offline

And you might indeed want to talk to the guys at Trail Designs. Rand is usually really helpful.

HJ

#164896 - 04/11/12 09:18 AM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
Ewker Offline

And you might indeed want to talk to the guys at Trail Designs. Rand is usually really helpful.

HJ

I sent him one this morning

#164902 - 04/11/12 12:39 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
Ewker Offline

I got a reply back from Rand.

"That isn't an unreasonable amount of fuel for 5 cups. Alcohol doesn't have as high a heat content as petroleum fuels.....and while the Caldera Cone maximizes the use of the available heat and minimizes wind effect.....so is the best alcohol solution out there.....in the end, it is still limited by the amount of heat available in the source alcohol."

#164920 - 04/11/12 10:45 PM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: Ewker]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
I assume you're using the stove made for the cone, but at that much water you may be past the point of diminishing returns.

What brand denatured are you using and is it fresh? You might try some Yellow HEET just to be sure.

I assume you're using the frypan lid?

The titanium also doesn't help in this case since it doesn't transfer heat as well as AL.

If you still can't get it to work, I'd remove your drink water from it and boil just your food water first and then boil your drink water while letting your food hydrate. 2 smaller boils are usually more efficient on fuel (if you don't have to prime any) than one bigger one, regardless of stove type. I've had a Windpro that couldn't boil 3 quarts when I was testing some worst case stuff.

#164923 - 04/12/12 09:14 AM Re: The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone [Re: topshot]
Ewker Offline

topshot,

Yes i am using the stove that came with the cone. I do cover the pot with the frying pan lid so it keeps the heat in.

I use either Crown or S-L-X denatured alcohol. Can't remember which brand I have now. I have thought about going back to the Yellow bottle of Heet. I think it is better to use.

Your idea of boiling the water for meals then drinks is a good idea. Guess I just want to get it over with at one time. We are going out again so i will give that a try and see how that works out.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum