Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164439 - 03/26/12 05:11 PM Camera Harness
El Kabong Offline

Loc: New Jersey
My wife an I are going to be hiking in Peru this summer. She will insist on bringing an SLR, which she will want to have at the ready. She will also be using trekking poles, so she won't be holding the camera while hiking.

Has anyone had experience with a camera harness, like the one here . . .

Harness on Amazon

We're hoping for easy acccess to the camera, with jostle-free hiking. Can you recommend one that works well, or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks, El Kabong

#164442 - 03/26/12 06:05 PM Re: Camera Harness [Re: El Kabong]
swammie Offline

Loc: ca
I have experience using that rig. It's originally designed for binoculars, but works well for a camera too. Not a jostle-free setup tho. And having to wear the sling was very annoying on a long, hot, hard hike. I won't do it again.

I found Cotton Carrier Strap Shot a few days ago, looks interesting. Strap running to the top of the pack moves the weight to there and in turn to your hips. Makes sense to me.

#164451 - 03/26/12 09:31 PM Re: Camera Harness [Re: swammie]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Depends if carrying packs I recomend the Keyhole device. Google it.

#164460 - 03/27/12 02:19 PM Re: Camera Harness [Re: Kent W]
squark Offline

Loc: SF bay area, CA
I have the Keyhole harness, and found I couldn't tighten it enough to keep my DSLR from sagging and bouncing. Could be an issue with my pack, but I suspect my shoulders are just narrower than the intended user.

#164517 - 03/29/12 12:21 AM Re: Camera Harness [Re: squark]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Squark:

I've got the keyhole harness on two packs (a GoLite Jam and a GoLite Pinnacle) and I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to tighten it enuf.

Keyhole harness on a GoLite Jam -- put the shirt in so the keyhole wouldn't fade into the black back pad -- but Hook 'Em, Horns, anyway.

I talked Debbie (my wife) into sewing the straps onto my shoulder straps, instead of using those clips that kept coming undone (and I'll be the only one to ever use the two packs with those keyholes attached, so they were placed to fit me.) I can still adjust the tightness of the keyhole plate, though, with the straps that go to it that are on the hiker's left side of the plate in the photo.

This might solve your problem, or do you mean by "couldn't tighten it" that you couldn't get the red knob that goes into the tripod thread on the camera to tighten enough? Mine fits fine and the harness is tight on my chest -- I've done a somersault on the trail and still had the camera in place when I came to my senses. blush blush blush

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#164558 - 03/29/12 07:53 PM Re: Camera Harness [Re: kevonionia]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Just curious, how do you keep from dripping sweat on your camera? Is it stowed when you're not shooting?

Cheers,

#164750 - 04/08/12 10:01 PM Re: Camera Harness [Re: El Kabong]
mtmiller Offline

I have the Cotton Carrier and am happy with it. I have the vest system, but may pick up the holster as well.

#164774 - 04/09/12 12:45 AM Re: Camera Harness [Re: Rick_D]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Rick:

I've never had a problem dripping sweat on the camera while it's resting in the keyhole while hiking in CO, probably due to the low humidity here. Years ago I had a Nikon -- I think it was an N70 before I had the keyhole and I would hold it in my hand while hiking. In the North Cascades, in much higher humidity, I had sweat drip down my arm, hand, then shutter finger and go into the gap between the camera and the button and 'bzzzt.' It shorted and quit. I took it to the Nikon repair guy in Miami (who fixed the Miami Herald's photographers' stuff) and he said throw it away -- and I did.

mt miller:

Did you get the "unnamed" item similar to the keyhole harness or the whole outfit? Looks like the keyhole-looking thing is about $79 -- more than the keyhole harness, but that "locking feature" in the video is a pretty cool thing, since gravity is (all) that keeps the camera in on the one I have.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#164966 - 04/14/12 01:57 PM Re: Camera Harness [Re: El Kabong]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Originally Posted By El Kabong
My wife an I are going to be hiking in Peru this summer. She will insist on bringing an SLR, which she will want to have at the ready. She will also be using trekking poles, so she won't be holding the camera while hiking.

Has anyone had experience with a camera harness, like the one here . . .

Harness on Amazon

We're hoping for easy acccess to the camera, with jostle-free hiking. Can you recommend one that works well, or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks, El Kabong

I have used the elastic version you linked to and didn't like the bouncing. Then I changed to the Webbing version and really like it. Used it for years now. I hook my camera bag to it and that protects he DSLR through anything but you can do a bare camera too.

#165168 - 04/21/12 07:44 AM Re: Camera Harness [Re: El Kabong]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
Just be careful in South America with your technology. If you're going guided, no problem, but by yourself there's a low possibility that someone could be tempted to rob you if you have a lot of expensive stuff out and visible.

I like that keyhole mount though, it looks great!

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#178249 - 07/07/13 04:47 PM Re: Camera Harness [Re: kevonionia]
mtmiller Offline

Originally Posted By kevonionia
Rick:

mt miller:

Did you get the "unnamed" item similar to the keyhole harness or the whole outfit? Looks like the keyhole-looking thing is about $79 -- more than the keyhole harness, but that "locking feature" in the video is a pretty cool thing, since gravity is (all) that keeps the camera in on the one I have.

Kevon, sorry I am slow getting back to this topic. I initially got the vest cotton carrier, but since I usually have binos on my chest, I also picked up the belt model. I slides on my belt if I am without a pack, but will also stap directly on my pack belt. Great product and I always have the camera ready to go when I am on the trail.

#186862 - 08/29/14 12:47 AM Re: Camera Harness [Re: El Kabong]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
Never have seen the keyhole...looks great!

#186902 - 09/01/14 02:01 PM Re: Camera Harness [Re: El Kabong]
cocadori Offline

Loc: Montana
New here... hello!

I've used the cotton carrier for the past month. Works well but is a bit tough on the shoulders if placed under the backpack.. I need to figure a better way out.

Alone however, it is the cats ass!

http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/camera-carrier-vest-system-p/635rtl-s.htm

#186903 - 09/01/14 02:04 PM Re: Camera Harness [Re: kevonionia]
cocadori Offline

Originally Posted By kevonionia
Squark:

I've got the keyhole harness on two packs (a GoLite Jam and a GoLite Pinnacle) and I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to tighten it enuf.

Keyhole harness on a GoLite Jam -- put the shirt in so the keyhole wouldn't fade into the black back pad -- but Hook 'Em, Horns, anyway.

I talked Debbie (my wife) into sewing the straps onto my shoulder straps, instead of using those clips that kept coming undone (and I'll be the only one to ever use the two packs with those keyholes attached, so they were placed to fit me.) I can still adjust the tightness of the keyhole plate, though, with the straps that go to it that are on the hiker's left side of the plate in the photo.

This might solve your problem, or do you mean by "couldn't tighten it" that you couldn't get the red knob that goes into the tripod thread on the camera to tighten enough? Mine fits fine and the harness is tight on my chest -- I've done a somersault on the trail and still had the camera in place when I came to my senses. blush blush blush

This is exactly what I needed the past few days... hmmm...

#187027 - 09/08/14 07:01 AM Re: Camera Harness [Re: cocadori]
cocadori Offline

For the record the Keyhole is crap... the red knob (secures your camera) is only pressed onto a screw...no adhesive or any other securing feature. It works loose and stuff falls to the ground...

ask me how I know...

#188737 - 01/26/15 02:26 PM Re: Camera Harness [Re: El Kabong]
HikingGeek Offline

I've been using the CapturePRO Camera Clip by Peak Design for over a year now. I've been using it regardless of what camera I am carrying (Nikon D80, Sony NEX, or Nikon Coolpix L26). When using larger cameras, I add the PROpad for stability. Here is my review of both products:
CapturePRO Camera Clip & PROPad

I just recently received a Cotton Carrier Strapshot, but have only used it on one hike. I will write a full review after I hike a few more miles with it:
Initial Impressions: Cotton Carrier StrapShot

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum