Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163053 - 02/29/12 10:01 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: wandering_daisy]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
WD
31 hours into this thread we have 246 hits and 24 responses - so I guess its a subject that OTHER people want to rehash OR to read for the first time. Ours is to distribute good information freely... smile

<If a rope is going to get you into stuff you have no buisness doing, the hardly adds safety to your trip.>

:)I guess that statement sort of confuses me. But then as you have said we are very different.

Jim

#163055 - 02/29/12 10:16 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: Jimshaw]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
People with 4wd vehicles sometimes drive too far on snowy roads that they would have not done without the 4wd. Then they high center and are stuck. The 4wd enables them to get into situations they would not have done without it. Of course, once you really know what you are doing with a 4wd, you realize that it is not going to do you much good if you high center, nor is it going to help you stop on ice.

Same with a rope. It is a too that enables you to do stuff you would not do without it. Fine if you know the limits of the rope and what you are getting into. You and I well know that if we rappel off a cliff we had better have a plan on either how to get back out or know of a route at the bottom that gets us to where we want to go. Another example of a rope making you less safe, is if you use it incorrectly to cross a stream. (there is a correct way to use a rope to cross streams). If you did not have the rope to begin with, you would judge the stram too risky, and retreat. But you and your buddy have this rope and think you are safer and tie into it. Wrong. So instead of retreating you think you have a safety line, and cross, fall in and are pulled under.

We used to have a saying in Wyoming, that only people with 4wd's ever got stuck; everyone else had enough sense to stay home during a big storm.

I dare say that most backpackers do not know how to properly use a rope.

I was not implying that this thread is not worthwhile. I just do remember that this is a "rerun". I personally have trouble digging up old threads, so I see why we repeat stuff. It would be interesting to pull up that old thread and see what was said.

#163067 - 03/01/12 09:28 AM Re: rescue rope [Re: oldranger]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
One of our victims was a middle school teacher who attempted to do a single strand rappel of a 500 foot cliff with a 250 foot rope.

That's a great story oldranger laugh

I think it illustrates the point perfectly.

"You want to go where?"

#163069 - 03/01/12 10:08 AM Re: rescue rope [Re: Jimshaw]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Finally
If you see meaningful pics of extreme happenings, they were posed. Modern cameras are too slow and human reaction time too slow, not to mention that when yer up to yer waist in alligators, you tend to forget why you were there in the first place and the camera ain't the first thing ya think of. If you're taking pictures, you ain't that scared.

Heck is that Sasquatch sitting with Jimmy Hoffa and Jackie Onasis over there, wheres my camera?
Jim

Jim, I was talking about this.

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
A buddy of mine wants me to help him set up a semipermanent snowcamp up near the snowpark on Friday. I may do some firtree hole camping next week.

That is not an emergency. You have plenty of time to take pics in the process.

#163071 - 03/01/12 10:34 AM Re: rescue rope [Re: wandering_daisy]
lori Offline

Another example of something that tempts people who have no business doing something into doing it would be the Half Dome cables, the biggest money pit in the national park system - all the dollars that flow into rescues, trying to pre-SAR the hike, trying to choke back the flow of thousands of people trying to wangle and scalp and finagle permits, dollars spent chasing the scalpers, all from taxpayers pockets into perpetuating that giant attractive nuisance pulling all those tourists up the trail, limping and blistering all the way, to ascend a rock face they have no business ascending and ignoring every piece of advice doled out on pamphlets, websites and by people sitting at the table in Happy Isles....

Any piece of gear needs to be used appropriately regardless. It could be argued that there is a dangerous way to set up a tent. Ignorance in the wilderness is in general going to increase your risk to unacceptable levels. Rope can be dangerous, just ask any newbie trying to toss up a bear bag line. (Ow! $%^@#, I'm just sleeping with it....)

It's sort of tempting, roping everyone together when facing a stretch of really exposed slope, but it takes some kind of training or experience to tell the rest of the group what the risks of doing that are if no one in the group knows how to arrest and can do it with three other people dangling from their belt. And despite the strength of paracord (that favorite rope recommended in so many gear lists newbies read) in some conditions, it can and does snap in nothing flat under others - why there is a ton of it dangling in the tops of trees all over Yosemite. All you have to do is look up when you get to a spot that has flat spots clearly used by tenters and fire rings.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#163073 - 03/01/12 11:51 AM Re: rescue rope [Re: Rick_D]
DoobyDoobyDoo Offline

I assume most of you have heard of survival straps.

if not google it. Bracelet type that unwinds to high quality paracord.

Plus, if you use it and tell them the story, they will replade it for free

#163075 - 03/01/12 12:49 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: DoobyDoobyDoo]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Paracord is not what we are talking about here. This about real rope that can actually catch and hold a moderate fall. Paracord is a very useful product, but it has no application in climbing situations (well, maybe as shoelace). People have died demonstrating that.

#163078 - 03/01/12 01:25 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: lori]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Backpackers who also think that simply by bringing an ice axe or crampons makes it safe to cross steep snow will have a real surprise if they actually fall. The use of both these pieces of equipment are a skill that takes considerable practice to perfect. And even for those who are experts, there is a real limit to stopping yourself. If you do not get it done in the first few minutes it is not going to happen.

Microspikes add to this problem. I am all for microspikes to use on low angle slick snow or ice, but I would not use them on any slope where you have a possibility of a long fall, even a moderate angle slope.

All these gadgets, rope included, can give you a false sense of security. Using this gear with a full pack on your back is also very different than using them on a day climb.

I personally do not carry anything more than parachute cord to lower my pack when needed. I feel no obligation to carry nearly a pound of rope just in case I run across someone who is in trouble. Frankly, on most of my trips off-trail, I may see less than a handfull of people on the entire trip.

#163085 - 03/01/12 03:28 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: oldranger]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By oldranger
Paracord is not what we are talking about here. This about real rope that can actually catch and hold a moderate fall. Paracord is a very useful product, but it has no application in climbing situations (well, maybe as shoelace). People have died demonstrating that.

Which is exactly the point - I've heard people claim that paracord can be more than it is.

It isn't even a good bear bagging rope. I'd be using it to repair gear, lower a pack down something steep, spare guy line, or other non critical applications - never as a climbing rope. That's it's often added to gear lists without explanation of this is part of the problem.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#163112 - 03/02/12 09:28 AM Re: rescue rope [Re: oldranger]
DoobyDoobyDoo Offline

Originally Posted By oldranger

Thanks for the heads up there.... smile

#163136 - 03/02/12 12:57 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: oldranger]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Interstingly my first emergecy use of that rope was to go up. I had descended into a blind ravine of loose talus and suddenly found myself in very loose rock looking over a 100 foot drop. I sat down very carefully and grabbed the end of a broken bush about 2 inches in diameter as the only solid hold. I pulled the rope out of the outside pocket where it lived and tied one end to the stump and one to me. I then very carefully crawled back up the slope to another stump and retied the rope. Then I had to go back down holding onto the rope, untie it, tie it to me and carefully reascend. Then I repeated the process one more time to safety. smile

There were several life threatening stages - the first crawl up, what If I had slipped over the edge with a small rope tied to my leather belt? Incidentally, thats one reason why people used to have rivited belts with double "hookers", so they could hold your weight. Yep I have also rappeled on that same leather belt looped through the eyes of my jeans. This was not a good example of danger management and since I didn't slip, I guess I really didn't need the rope, but without it I might have just sat there screaming for help.

If somebody goes through an ice bridge and lives and you want to get them out of a stream, a good piece of rope is gonna help.
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (03/02/12 07:31 PM)

#163141 - 03/02/12 01:11 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: Jimshaw]
oldranger Offline

Good example. While rappelling is a common use, the rope is often employed to help some who is a little shaky over a class three (almost a 4!) stretch. I used "my little it of rope" routinely to belay my daughter climbing up the dock ladders when going out to the Channel Islands. Pop her into a kid's harness; precede her up the ladder; drop the rope and Mom ties her in;Mom also is right behind her while she come up the ladder. This is about a fifteen foot climb usually and falling down into the water while a boat is bumping up against the ladder would be very unfortunate.

I must have a bit of Sam Gamgee's DNA in my makeup.....

Edited by oldranger (03/02/12 01:12 PM)

#163143 - 03/02/12 01:41 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: oldranger]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Hadn't thought of that one! My daughter insisted on taking my day pack up those Channel Island ladders, but she didn't really need to. I thought that carrying two packs put her more at risk!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/02/12 01:42 PM)

#163160 - 03/02/12 07:43 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

When did this happen? Island Packers is very good about handing packs up. (They have a much better and safer setup for boarding than the NPS boats) - At least in the last ten years or so....

#163171 - 03/02/12 09:54 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: oldranger]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
As I recall, my daughter ended up handing the pack up to one of the Island Packer folks on the dock.

Island Packers is a super outfit! I really enjoyed my trips with them. And they detour for dolphins!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/02/12 09:55 PM)

#163176 - 03/02/12 10:17 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: Jimshaw]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
All this sounds reasonable to me. The only two avalanches I have been been near didn't quite hit me (in one I hid behind a big rock). I used to carry the thin red "avalanche cord" but haven't seen that for 40 years! Nowadays we simply don't hike/climb below any loaded slopes when the NW avalanche center reports any hazard at all. We have found plenty of places to hike and snow shoe and climb and sky w/o tons of snow lurking above us.

#163183 - 03/02/12 11:04 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: lori]
oldranger Offline

An interesting piece on the Half Dome situation - Here

Edited by oldranger (03/02/12 11:04 PM)

#163223 - 03/03/12 03:57 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: oldranger]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I suppose it is just too much of a draw to just rip the cables out. Either that or just charge a whole lot for the permits so that even in a crazy year, you make more money than you spend on rescues. I don't know...but most of those people don't have any idea what they may or may not be getting into.

#163233 - 03/03/12 07:29 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: skcreidc]
oldranger Offline

This whole situation is a pretty good example of why my personal preference is for the less well known areas...

#163310 - 03/04/12 11:36 PM Re: rescue rope [Re: Jimshaw]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I carry some rope on overnight hikes. I use it as a ridge line for my lean-to. If I ever needed it in an emergency I probably wouldn’t be able to get to it fast enough as it is usually buried in my pack.

As a chimney sweep I once tried to throw a long length of rope over a snow covered house. I was unsuccessful but the customer lent me his kayak rescue rope. It was a floating line in a canvas bag. I anchored the end of the rope and threw the bag out over the house with great ease. As the bag went out it took the rope with it, laying it over the roof so I could tie it securely on the other side. It worked so well I had my wife make me a bag system which I have used several times now. The neat thing is, it never tangles as it comes out of the bag. I don’t need floating rope and so it cost a whole lot less than the kayak setup. I have never taken the bag line hiking but it might not be a bad idea. It is an easy way to throw a rope to a person in trouble.

Howie

#163318 - 03/05/12 05:10 AM Re: rescue rope [Re: Howie]
oldranger Offline

I have bagged all my ropes for the last several years; it works quite well. You can throw the rope more accurately,or, if on rappel, simply hang the rope bag from your harness and pay it out as you descent. I understand that Yosemite SAR (which as far as I know developed this technique) bagged their special El Capitan rope (3000 feet long) in a military duffel bag.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum