Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162848 - 02/27/12 01:48 PM Backpacking with a RIFLE
Rough_Bearing Offline

Does anyone here backpack with a rifle? I'm one to push bush more than just stick to a trail so I often find myself isolated in bear country. I used to just pack around my 17HMR until last year when I was stumbling around and found myself all up in a bears business who then got all up in my business. Plus I generally ride solo on my trips and I find a level of comfort in keeping protection with me.

Now, that being said, if I lived in the states I would not even be asking this question because I would simply pack a revolver. Living in Canada kinda shoots that plan in the butt. Getting a permit to pack a side arm for 'backpacking' is pretty much unheard of and I like to play on the side of the law. Is anyone else in my similiar situation? What type of rifle would be suitable? As well all know, the weight factor is always an issue and I'm not aware of many light weight rifles. The only thing I can think of right now is picking up a shot gun and load it up with a folding stock to try to cut down on the pounds.

Anyone have any ideas?

#162850 - 02/27/12 02:03 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Rough_Bearing]
Tye Offline

Loc: Texas
.um, how 'bout bear spray. It would work on any critter or person "in your business."
If still nervous, carry two cans. If still nervous, hike in town.
In reality, a weapon large enough to drop a bear in going to be heavy. Anything smaller, just ain't gonna drop him/her before they get to you and their adrenaline runs out.

I know Henry Firearms makes a couple take down type guns.

Google "bear banger" Illegal, but is done and carried by some bikers.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure they are illegal in Canada.

Edited by Tye (02/27/12 02:12 PM)

#162851 - 02/27/12 02:04 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Rough_Bearing]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
This discussion comes up on a fairly regular basis. Unfortunately, it tends to be the same discussion each time, covering the same ground in roughly the same way. Usually at least one person wants to kick up some controversy and get some heat into the discussion. Usually they fail, but not for lack of trying. frown

You might try using the Search facility to see what's been said before on both handguns and rifles in a backpacking context. It's been gnawed on pretty thoroughly in about a dozen threads. I suggest using the terms: "rifle", "weapon", "handgun", "holster", and "hunting". Those should dredge up quite a few threads to peruse. If that doesn't satisfy your thirst for info, come on back and give us another prodding. smile

#162852 - 02/27/12 02:17 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Rough_Bearing]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
Any rifle that will kill a bear is bound to be heavy. Honestly in your case I'd pack bear spray and learn how to deal with the occasional bear encounter. Shotguns and the attending ammunition are very heavy. the only shotgun ammo I'd trust on large game is a rifled slug which is just about the heaviest.

I'd try for the handgun permit first and if successful carry what I do when I feel it necessary,and that's rare. What's the worst that could happen? They say no? I have a Ruger Alaskan chambered in .454 Casull. It's a beast to carry and shoot but will dispatch large animals well. However after thinking about it I believe it's been with me once.

With that being said you've survived an encounter w/o a firearm why do you fell the need now? Did it spook you or is this something you've thought about for a long time?

#162854 - 02/27/12 02:22 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: aimless]
Rough_Bearing Offline

Balls! I actually did use the search function on this one! I looked up Rifle and Gun. I guess I should search a little deeper next time. My bad fellas! I still didn't really see any usefull information...just some henry .22's.

#162855 - 02/27/12 02:28 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: tramp]
Rough_Bearing Offline

"With that being said you've survived an encounter w/o a firearm why do you fell the need now? Did it spook you or is this something you've thought about for a long time?"

I had a 17HMR at the time. I was walking along paying more attention to the game trail than my surroundings. I wound up being around 30 yards from a bear who started huffing at me and then actually stood up on his hind legs and starting smacking and clawing a tree and stared at me the whole time. I'm sure a few of you have had such encounters. They tend to stick with you for a while. Plus its a peace of mind thing.

Sorry for bringing up the same ol' topic again though, guys! I don't want to be known as "that guy" ha ha ha!

#162856 - 02/27/12 03:10 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Rough_Bearing]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you have a really heavy caliber rifle and can always aim perfectly enough to kill with your first shot while a big grizz is charging directly at you, fine. Hell hath no fury like a wounded grizz! If you're like 99% of folks, bear spray is undoubtedly safer. At least that's what the statistics on bear encounters prove.

#162858 - 02/27/12 03:18 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Rough_Bearing]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Rough Bearing:

I had a 17HMR at the time. I was walking along paying more attention to the game trail than my surroundings

Were you hunting? If so, you'd need that rifle. And that would send you to one of the GGFs (gazillion gun forums.) If you were out there hiking, with no plans to kill something, then bear spray is the answer, with hiking in Alaska and parts of Canada the exception. A rifle anywhere else is the antithesis of "packing light" -- this forum's focus.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#162860 - 02/27/12 03:39 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Rough_Bearing]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
For bear? Sounds like we need BradMT's feed back for this one. I will say this though. I was brought up with guns and even now My dad keeps a shotgun with bear slugs loaded at his place just for bear. A rifle is better. But the best is accurate shot placement for stopping power. So, whatever you take with you, you should be practice with it. And if you don't mind the kick, get a Marlin .45 lever action. There is no point in having to put your weapon together if you need it in a hurry.

Ps. I use bear mace myself. My dad takes his Glock, but he practices with the thing usually once a week.

#162870 - 02/27/12 05:20 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Rough_Bearing]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
My husband carries what he has named "The Bear Bopper" - as short as legal (had it shortened by a gunsmith to make sure it was legal) with no extras shotgun, loaded with bear slug and a fold stock. No, it isn't the lightest - but neither is my .357 Ruger (joke is with a ruger, if you run out of ammo you can still hit them with the gun itself.) If there is a convenient, light weight, comfortable way to carry said shotgun or pistol, I haven't found it. Husband has been looking at some velcro way of adhering it to a backpack (shotgun.) The biggest prob. with a bear is hitting that sweet spot in their chest as they are charging you... Haven't had to do, don't want to do it. We have been looking at some sort of "flare" gun to carry instead - I'm a good shot, but in a stressful situation I can't guarantee it - so something loud, bright and noisy might be a better option, for me anyways - donno about the legality in Canada.

Still more scared of Moose than bear - though last year we did have a bear pull someone (but no serious injury) out of their tent (about 20+/- miles from me.)

#162871 - 02/27/12 05:35 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: skcreidc]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Personally, it has been proven a bear spray canister is more effective. I myslf have a concealled carry firearm permit. I would be comfy in black bear country with my .45 acp . Grizzly is another story. Bear spray first! Rifle wise if I was carrying in grizz country. I would take a AR 15 chambered in 6.8 REM or 6.5 Grendal. Or a AR 10 in .308 , 450 Bushmaster, or 458 socom. My preference would be bear spray.
I just finished reading Andrew Skurka, The Ultimate Hikers Gear List. He was Charged three times bye Grizzlies in the yukon. One time he threw his hiking pole at the Bear before reaching for Pepper Spray! He said Bear ran away so fast it Pooped Berries for 20 feet!
My opinion is it wasnt his time to die! Or he is a very good story teller!
A Charging Grizzley is a Massive animal, that requires Large caliber Firearms with excellent shot placement to save your butt! 25 or thirty round magazines ,I would suggest as well.
I have to beleive odds are better with Bear Spray?
I hope I never find out if Im right! I am very happy with a educated guess! Good Luck, Happy trails

#162873 - 02/27/12 05:57 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Kent W]
skcreidc Offline

Kent! I've read that too, that bear spray is realiable. and from what I remember was a realiable source...if I could just remember the source I would post it up. Does someone know?

#162874 - 02/27/12 06:01 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Rough_Bearing]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I haven't carried one, and I don't live in Canada, so no help from me. Like you said, I would carry a handgun for that purpose. Maybe look and see what the regs are for Canada. I have no idea where you would look though.

#162878 - 02/27/12 06:42 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Heather-ak]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Originally Posted By Heather-ak
If there is a convenient, light weight, comfortable way to carry said shotgun or pistol, I haven't found it.
Here is a little trick I learned in the army. While your friend isn't looking, slip it into his pack. Your pack is now much lighter. grin

I own firearms, have my concealed permit, I don't have a death wish. All that said, I like the feeling of being part of nature. For me that means accepting that I am part of food chain. Fortunately my two encounters with bears (TN/NC border, AK) were uneventful. From less than 50 yards they looked at me, I looked at them, and we went our separate ways.

Edited by PerryMK (02/27/12 06:45 PM)

#162881 - 02/27/12 07:03 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: PerryMK]
skcreidc Offline

Here we go. Article on weapony and on bear spray.

Rifles

Pepper spray

This article suggests that only people Proficient with firearms should rely on them for bear deterrence.

Article

The brand I carry is counter assault bear deterrent. I bought one to practice with to see how the thing works. Be aware of the wind direction when using it.

Edited by skcreidc (02/27/12 07:21 PM)

#162888 - 02/27/12 07:56 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Heather-ak]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
And do remember that if you really are counting on the firearm to save you from the bear, it needs to be almost instantly accessible at all time.

No good carrying on or in the pack when you surprise the bear on the trail...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#162891 - 02/27/12 08:03 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: balzaccom]
immortal.ben Offline

Loc: Arizona
I am a backpacking hunter AND I spot-and-stalk bear with a bow. When hunting, I carry my .45 on my thigh. When backpacking for the sake of backpacking I would be more inclined to want bear spray.

There is no lightweight version of packing an effective version of either.

#162902 - 02/27/12 09:47 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: balzaccom]
Kent W Offline

Originally Posted By balzaccom
And do remember that if you really are counting on the firearm to save you from the bear, it needs to be almost instantly accessible at all time.

No good carrying on or in the pack when you surprise the bear on the trail...

Absolutly true, It also needs to be cocked Locked and ready to Rock. As does the shooter. A unloaded firearm in a emergency situation is the equivalent of a Rock with a real nice grip!
If not properly trained and experienced you should not carry a loaded gun. 99 chances out of ten you will not be effective with it if you have not practiced extensivly! I shoot allot Rifles, Shotguns, IE skeet and Trap and handguns. One thing is for sure you pull a gun out better be prepared to use it. This is detramental to your own ,and bystanders saftey!
No such thing as being to safe.
I have counter assault bear spray myself. That is what I carry backpacking for the most part. The stuff is nasty! I am confident it will turn a bear, or a national park drug grower around!
I also carry a loaded firearm most of the time I am not hiking. Thats just how I roll. I have never had to use either and hope I never will! Guns that woul be effective on a bear are allot heavier than bear spray!

#162956 - 02/28/12 03:14 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Rough_Bearing]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I just tried pulling down the simple search entry (not advanced), entered a single word and hit "Go". I found the following:

Your search for 'handguns' returned 107 results.

Your search for 'holster' returned 163 results.

Your search for 'shotgun' returned 92 results.

Your search for 'rifles' returned 37 results.

Your search for 'sidearms' returned 83 results.

See. I wouldn't steer you wrong, Rough_Bearing! smile

#162958 - 02/28/12 04:11 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: skcreidc]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Great set of articles and abstracts!

#163553 - 03/08/12 10:19 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Steadman]
OldJohnDewey Offline

Loc: BC Canada
I live in BC Canada where we have a LOT of bears. I have had many a bear encounter. If you are hiking, bear spray (big can) is the way to go. Make sure it is on your hip belt in a holster and easily accessible.
If I am hunting with a rifle, I don't bother with the spray.

#163710 - 03/11/12 03:58 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: OldJohnDewey]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By OldJohnDewey
I live in BC Canada where we have a LOT of bears. I have had many a bear encounter. If you are hiking, bear spray (big can) is the way to go. Make sure it is on your hip belt in a holster and easily accessible.
If I am hunting with a rifle, I don't bother with the spray.

Very similar to me, with one change this year. Now I carry Bear Spray when hunting too.

Rifle and Bear-Spray when hunting.

Ruger 357 Security Six with hard-cast LBT's and Bear-Spray when packing out elk meat.

Bear-Spray alone when backpacking.

We have a LOT of grizzlies here and I've bumped into them more than once.

#163711 - 03/11/12 03:59 PM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: Heather-ak]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By Heather-ak

Still more scared of Moose than bear

Well said and spoken by someone with experience!

#163765 - 03/12/12 10:20 AM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: BradMT]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Do you think bear spray will work on a moose? I have run into more moose then bear. Never had a problem....yet.

#163768 - 03/12/12 11:25 AM Re: Backpacking with a RIFLE [Re: finallyME]
Kent W Offline

I have bear spray never had to use it. I would think it would turn a moose around as well. Moose dont see vary well but it would still burn like crazy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum