Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162579 - 02/22/12 12:24 PM To lance or not to lance a blister...
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I usually don't lance blisters, and let them pop on their own, but this last trip one got so big I felt I had to. Doing so was more painful than leaving the blister alone, and hobbled me until the following morning.

So, when should I lance a blister, and how do I do lance blisters to enhance my mobility rather than restrict it?

I understand the root causes of blisters, but I want to collect some opinions about how best to perform this first aid task.

#162587 - 02/22/12 01:33 PM Re: To lance or not to lance a blister... [Re: Steadman]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I carry a sewing needle stuck into a piece of cardboard in my first aid kit. I use it to lance blisters, after sterilizing it briefly with a flame.

I've been fortunate enough to avoid blisters for the past six or seven years, so I am a bit rusty on the finer points, but my general procedure has been to lance with the needle, usually making several small punctures, because they are tiny! I remove what fluid I can, then I tape over the blister.

A thorough-going first aid maven could improve on that by several leaps and bounds, I am sure.

#162588 - 02/22/12 01:45 PM Re: To lance or not to lance a blister... [Re: aimless]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
If I catch a blister forming, I lance it, dry it off, iodine it, and then cover it with moleskin if needed. Been doing this for years.

The only time I have used a snake bite kit, I somehow got a large spine of Spanish Bayonet stuck in my calf. Apparently it had been there for a couple days before I noticed it because it had festered. I borrowed someones snake bite kit, cut an X over the fester, then stuck the suction device over the wound and pulled out a large spine along with the clot of puss. Then I cleaned the wound inside and out, painted the outside with iodine and packed the inside with neosporin then covered it. I redressed it every half day to make sure it was getting better. Probably not the best way to do it, but it healed up fast.

PS I always sterilize the thing I am going to operate on myself with.

Probably should have mentioned this, but if I lance it right, the thing reattaches itself and forms a callus of sorts.

Edited by skcreidc (02/22/12 01:59 PM)

#162589 - 02/22/12 01:49 PM Re: To lance or not to lance a blister... [Re: Steadman]
palameto Offline

Loc: East Texas
I find that if I can lance a blister, and then bandage it tightly so that the now loose flap of skin isn't rubbing back and forth on the raw area, then it is much more comfortable than the original blister. Proper bandaging is the key, and keeping the bandage in place. Chris Townsend's The Backpacker's Handbook has a detailed section on blister care. Maybe I will look it up when I get home and report back on his recommendations.

#162615 - 02/23/12 01:37 AM Re: To lance or not to lance a blister... [Re: Steadman]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I don't know if this is generally accepted practice in normal life (and won't try to defend or argue the practice), but among long distance hikers a problem that sometimes occurs is a blister is 'lanced' and then it quickly reforms, refills. What folks do (and I have done) is to pull a bit of thread through when lancing it with a needle and leave a little thread sticking out on each side. Blister isn't able to re-fill.

A first blush it seems like it could get dirty/infected or something, but I did this on the PCT when there was just a ton of loose dirt, feet constantly dirty, and had no problem, and ditto other thru-hikers I've known have used this approach and FWIW I've not heard of any resulting problems.

Just haven't had that sort of blister since then, but if I ever do, I'll go that route again.

#162626 - 02/23/12 10:12 AM Re: To lance or not to lance a blister... [Re: BrianLe]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
If the blister is noticed early, I use the needle/thread.drain method. I leave the thread and it falls off, or I can pull it out gently later. Never had any infection. I manage to do this in the evening so the blister has some time to dry a bit, and doesn't "shred" later.

#162627 - 02/23/12 10:19 AM Re: To lance or not to lance a blister... [Re: Steadman]
lori Offline

Unless it's under a callus I pop and cover the area. But I have great socks and shoes these days and haven't had many issues. I did get a small blister under the callus on the ball of my foot - thought I had a pebble in the shoe. It didn't hurt, so I left it alone, and eventually it went away.

I had a small abrasion turn into a foot infection that was starting to be a blood infection - had to have IV antibiotics daily for a week outpatient. It was all frontcountry, I snagged a sandal on a crack in a sidewalk and did a spectacular fall, the only injury was a tiny skin flap on the back of my heel. I still have a bump of scar tissue years later for my trouble. Keep 'em clean, folks. Irrigate with clean (filtered or treated) water and leave no doubt, get all the grit out. Triple antibiotic cream, gauze, tape it up, put a donut of moleskin around it if it's in a high friction area and check frequently. At camp and on breaks let it get some air and dry out the wound before cleaning it again. If it's developing a greenish tinge around the wound and the area looks red, get the heck out of the wilderness and get medical treatment.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#162758 - 02/25/12 08:45 AM Re: To lance or not to lance a blister... [Re: lori]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
A trick I learned from I can 't remember where, but that I've used with success is a needle and thread. At night, spear through (in and out) of the the blister with a clean needle and thread. pull out the needle, but leave the thread sticking out both ends. I'd recommend covering it with a bandage while you sleep. This allows the blister to keep discharging over night and in the morning you can pull out the thread. A super fast recovery and no irritants the next day.

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#162834 - 02/27/12 11:20 AM Re: To lance or not to lance a blister... [Re: Paulo]
immortal.ben Offline

Loc: Arizona
Here is a trick I learned from an Army buddy who was a Ranger medic and it is incredible.

For hot spots (before blister has formed) cut some moleskin larger than the hot spot. Then cut out a hole in the moleskin so that when lain over the hot spot, it fits within the hole. Then cover that with a whole layer of moleskin and tape in place if needed.

For full blown blisters, just lance that puppy first then follow the above directions.

What this does is prevent the hot spot or lanced blister from receiving any new friction.

#162953 - 02/28/12 02:52 PM Re: To lance or not to lance a blister... [Re: Steadman]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I only lance if there is puss. Otherwise, no lance. But regardless of lance or not, I cover it with tape to prevent further blistering. I haven't had one in a very long time, but when I did this, I never had any pain afterwards.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum