Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162158 - 02/14/12 02:11 PM Anyone use a pie iron?
Jackamo Offline

Loc: Central Oregon
Over the years ive gotten fairly proficient at baking in a dutch oven, and it sure is nice to have a fresh baked bread product in camp. someone got me a pie iron a couple christmas' ago, and it seems like a good alternative to a dutch oven. its cast aluminum, so its fairly light as compared to cast iron, and ive been thinking of ways i could shorten and modify the handles to use with an alcohol stove.

in searching the forum, i havent found any pie iron recipies, so heres a couple i came up with:

pie iron pizza balls: take a tube of the smaller pillsbury style biscuits and roll each out individually. cut a string cheese into 3/4" or so pieces and place one in the center of each rolled out biscuit, along with diced veggies or pepperoni, and pinch the edges together at the top. pack the dough balls tightly into the pie iron and cook til golden brown. dip cooked balls in spaghetti or marinara sauce.

monkey balls: cut tube biscuits into quarters and roll in cinnamon sugar. pack into pie iron with a pad of butter or some oil in the center and cook til golden brown.

#162159 - 02/14/12 02:32 PM Re: Anyone use a pie iron? [Re: Jackamo]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
I guess I can imagine BP with a dutch oven if you really like to have baked items in camp...but packing in pilsbury biscuits? Sounds like a mess waiting to happen smile

#162167 - 02/14/12 04:08 PM Re: Anyone use a pie iron? [Re: Cranman]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Sounds a lot tastier than Pilot biscuits. But I am not willing to haul that much weight around much any more.

#162170 - 02/14/12 04:17 PM Re: Anyone use a pie iron? [Re: Jackamo]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
This sounds very tasty, but it seems very much oriented to the heavier-pack-but-more-comfortable-camp end of the spectrum. Most of us have drifted over to the opposite end of this spectrum.

If we arrive at your campsite, will you cook for us, please? laugh

#162182 - 02/14/12 06:28 PM Re: Anyone use a pie iron? [Re: aimless]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I used a pie iron for many years. It all started in Boy Scouts, when we realized we never had to clean any pots/pans dishes if everything we ate was a "pocket". We cooked everything in those pie irons.

I still have one, mine is cast aluminum so it is quite a bit lighter than the cast iron. A bit more finicky too. I take it on canoe trips, or backpacking trips with low miles and when I know I will have a good fire and time to cook some good grub.

#162185 - 02/14/12 08:31 PM Re: Anyone use a pie iron? [Re: Jackamo]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Wife and I have two pie irons in our Aspen mini pop up. We pull this behind the Harley! We enjoy the treats around the fire at night. Apple pies, peanut butter, marshmellow fluff and chocolate! Good eats.
My pie iorns are cast iron I wont backpack with em. However aluiminum with chopped handles! Depending, on weight, and I talkin light. Wow could have my grilled cheese! Food for thought here!

#162189 - 02/14/12 10:29 PM Re: Anyone use a pie iron? [Re: Kent W]
Jackamo Offline

Originally Posted By Kent W
My pie iorns are cast iron I wont backpack with em. However aluiminum with chopped handles!

thats kind of what i was thinking, i tested it without the handles with my alcohol stove today. im going to get a couple 4" or so bolts that are threaded the same as the handles to replace them and put some kind of latch on there.

Originally Posted By aimless
If we arrive at your campsite, will you cook for us, please? laugh

for sure! wink

#162201 - 02/15/12 09:14 AM Re: Anyone use a pie iron? [Re: Jackamo]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Hmm But let me know how much it weighs when your done! I think it will still be a bit on the heavy side?

#162247 - 02/15/12 04:30 PM Re: Anyone use a pie iron? [Re: Jackamo]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You pack it in and out; we'll eat the results!
lol

#162300 - 02/16/12 10:02 AM Re: Anyone use a pie iron? [Re: Jackamo]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Here's three things I found: Outback Oven, Bakepacker, and Fry-Bake:

http://www.wildernessdining.com/bakingkits.html

I never used pie irons or any of the products above, so other than remembering that they exist(ed) and doing a simple Google search, I'm of no real help.

#162336 - 02/16/12 05:53 PM Re: Anyone use a pie iron? [Re: Glenn]
Jackamo Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
I never used pie irons or any of the products above, so other than remembering that they exist(ed) and doing a simple Google search, I'm of no real help.

thanks glenn! any help is good help, at least i have some ideas of their weights.

i went by the hardware store today to find some replacement handles, i was hoping to find some bolts that were threaded the same so i could either use them or the original handles. they seemed to be metric #6 size, but with a coarser thread than the standard 1mm pitch. after looking for 5 or so minutes on my own, then another couple minutes with one of the Ace employees, we decided that theyre either a proprietary thread that the Taiwanese company that made the pie iron uses, or an obscure coarser pitch. i ended up going with 1/4 self tapping screws and cutting new threads. this is the final product with the coat hanger clasp and the coffee can setup i use with my alcohol stove.

the total weight was approx 10 ounces. dont laugh, but i say "approximate" because i only have a bathroom scale at home, so weighed it in the produce scale at the safeway near the hardware store, and the sticker on the scale says "for estimating purposes only" smile

heres a batch of the pizza balls i made during the test. 5 biscuits and two string cheese sticks for a total weight of 5.25 ounces.

#162390 - 02/17/12 07:10 PM Re: Anyone use a pie iron? [Re: Jackamo]
PDA Offline

try steam baking in a produce bag, in a Heini pot over an alcohol stove as shown by Tinny. Packable and reliable.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 172 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum