Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161321 - 01/27/12 08:42 PM DIY Hammock Underliner
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Last Year I made a Diy Hammock underliner for my Hennesey Hyper Lite. I used shrink storm door plastic , elastic and sewed edge binding all the way around.
My sister gave me a bunch of ripstop so I cut on out today. I havent sewed it yet ,but will be done soon. This idea came from Henneseys four season insulation system. There eggcrate liner pad is available for 29.00 Not bad, underliner is 100.00 and change. I am trying to fine lightweight open cell eggcrate foam? Guess what looks to be cheaper to just bye liner pad from them. I know my big screen tv was packed with it years ago. If anyone has some around let me know. I thought mabe a chepo eggcrate mattress pad may do! Nope to heavy and doesnt compress to pack well enough. I would love to have a down underquilt, but not in the budget right now. I will post a pic or two of my finished underliner when complete! May just have to bye Henneseys Pad, but the DIY in me says keep looking? I must be nuts! If I was smart I would have bought a super shelter system when they were on sale last year for 98.00 No I gotta make one or two? LOL, sometimes we are better off biteing the bullet and drop the cash!

#161331 - 01/27/12 10:07 PM Re: DIY Hammock Underliner [Re: Kent W]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
I would love to have a down underquilt, but not in the budget right now.

What about cutting up and sewing one half of a cheaper synthetic sleeping bag for an underquilt?

"You want to go where?"

#161338 - 01/27/12 10:50 PM Re: DIY Hammock Underliner [Re: billstephenson]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By billstephenson
Quote:
I would love to have a down underquilt, but not in the budget right now.

What about cutting up and sewing one half of a cheaper synthetic sleeping bag for an underquilt?

My normal "underquilt" is an integral dynamics silponcho - it is essentially a 5x8 foot tarp, cut like a poncho, with stretchy shockcord on the bottom. this means I can attach it to the hammock and it will stretch ok. in warm weather I wad up a few space blankets "garrington insulator" style. In colder weather I have bought a few layers of wal-mart poly batting insulation and cut it "hammock bottom" shaped. it's small, light and works rather well (I also have a blue pad in the hammock). It gets me down rather cold.

Browse my pictures

#161351 - 01/28/12 09:16 AM Re: DIY Hammock Underliner [Re: phat]
Kent W Offline

Bill if I had a old down bag I would. I want to keep this whole underliner setup under a pound! I have a old sythetic bag but it weighs in at 3.5 pounds whole!
Phat I will look into that insulation Thanks, that might be the ticket. I saw your sil poncho setup last year when I made my plastic underliner. That would be nice but i am out of silnylon. My ripstop underliner so far is 4 oz. Not bad a ounce heavier than the plastic one I made. It will be quieter though! Going to wally world tomorrow to chk out insulation!

#161428 - 01/29/12 04:53 PM Re: DIY Hammock Underliner [Re: Kent W]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Kent-

I'm not using my Supershelter (Uncercover+pad.)

PM me if you are interested in buying it.

CamperMom

#161758 - 02/05/12 02:00 PM Re: DIY Hammock Underliner [Re: CamperMom]
Kent W Offline

After allot of searching I found the perfect insulation. Joann fabrics had 1/2 inch thick polyester bat insulation. It weighs only 4 oz. per yard 48 inches wide. I am going to sandwich this between nylon ripstop outer layer and Mylar space blanket top. The mylar will be against hammock bottom. Inside I am using a wide custom cut Gossamer Gear 1/4 thick evosote pad. I will take some pics during construction and post later. total underliner weight should come in around 12 OZ. If real cold out I plan to layer my down vest and extra clothes between hammock bottom for extra insulation! I will let ya know how it works out in testing. Best part about the insulation it is onsale fifty percent off. Only 9 bucks for enough for two underliners! 3 bucks for space blanket , free ripstop. couple bucks for elastic cord . grand total under ten bucks per hammock!

#162108 - 02/13/12 04:54 PM Re: DIY Hammock Underliner [Re: Kent W]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I am having a similar situation going on too. I need an under quilt for my Hennessy Expedition...but under quilts are pretty expensive, and the one I wanted from Molly Mac Gear has been out of stock for close to 2 months (and I recently heard from the owner that the sewers are no longer with them so they are not sure when they are going to be in stock), which bummed me out. At 11.6oz, $135 for a full length UQ good to 40F is pretty god! Most other for that weight and price are 3/4 which I do not want to fuss around with a 3/4.

So I got to thinking...what about using reflexcell? Or a Space Blanket? Sew in some corner loops to attach some kind of cord and walla, UQ. I am not sure how low you can get down too, but worth some testing in the backyard.

#162115 - 02/13/12 05:58 PM Re: DIY Hammock Underliner [Re: GDeadphans]
Kent W Offline

I got mine sewn up. seems pretty nice. Set up but I need to extend elastic cords to allow for a bit more strech. I was amazed last year how much a piece of thin plastic helped. I will snap a few pics and post. I have to make a second one for my sons eno. I have to sew a couple of side loops on the eno first or I dont think it will stay under him.

#162840 - 02/27/12 12:55 PM Re: DIY Hammock Underliner [Re: Kent W]
Jazilla Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Kent, I have been hammock camping for some years now and absolutely love it. Underquilts sure beat out a pad any day. Have you been to Hammock Forum yet. Check it out, lots of ideas about DIY gear. How low have you taken your liner?

#162868 - 02/27/12 05:15 PM Re: DIY Hammock Underliner [Re: Jazilla]
Kent W Offline

Well the new one hasnt been tested yet. It is complete and I think will work well. Last years in Smokies it went down to 22 degrees at night and I had a piece of palstic a space blanket and spare clothes under me. I was in a 20 dree rateed REI Kilo sub bag. I think twenty is pretty generous for the loft of this bag. I slept in long johns and was mostly comfy. I had a thermarest ridgrest in hamock as well. I will test my diy underliner soon. I know it will be warmer than last years. I can always add my fleece and down vest in between. I dont winter camp per say But in Mts in early spring it gets cold at the drop of a hat!

Edited by Kent W (02/27/12 05:16 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum