Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161759 - 02/05/12 06:02 PM Jif to Go
Cole Pendell Offline

Loc: Idaho
Hey

I found these at the dollar store yesterday. (3) 1.5 OZ cups of Jif peanut butter.

Has anybody used these backpacking?

I see a lot of people using PB in there hikes, but few say where they get it. I see some people using the small packets and such.

I guess what I am trying to ask, is this worth going back and buying a couple more boxes?
Thanks
~Cole

http://www.jif.com/Products/Details?categoryId=276&productId=572

#161767 - 02/05/12 10:07 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: Cole Pendell]
HeikeDog Offline

Loc: South Texas
My family eats this all the time ... as a snack with dippers like prezels, carrots, apples, etc. It's great for taking on airplanes (PB is considered a liquid). I think it would be a great trail food item.

I get them in a six-pack at the grocery store for less than 2 bucks.

#161780 - 02/06/12 10:03 AM Re: Jif to Go [Re: Cole Pendell]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
I usually take the packets since they're easier to pack. These: http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/index.php/p...ueeze-pack.html

#161787 - 02/06/12 11:44 AM Re: Jif to Go [Re: Cole Pendell]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
One thing about the Jif tubs is they are easier to use and you get more PB - the packets pack better but you never get all the PB out!
If I buy the Jif Natural tubs at the grocery store I pay $2 to 3 for the 8 tub pack.....

#161788 - 02/06/12 12:33 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: sarbar]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
the packets pack better but you never get all the PB out!

What! You mean you don't carefully turn the packet inside out and lick it until clean? wink Part of the beauty of being on trail is that you can do stuff like that.

#161798 - 02/06/12 01:57 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: skcreidc]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I havent come across these yet. I will look for them. The dollor stores sometimes have good finds for backpacking. I pick up tins of smoked oysters there for my oyster stew!
I love jif peanut butter it is the best. I was going to take a jar of it on my next hike. I i find these the jar stays at home.

#161817 - 02/07/12 10:23 AM Re: Jif to Go [Re: Kent W]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA

#161819 - 02/07/12 11:43 AM Re: Jif to Go [Re: sarbar]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Sara-

Since you mention the Natural PB to avoid hydrogenated oils, I have a question. Do you know how they are able to make the PB shelf stable without hydrogenating the oil? I've always understood that it is the hydrogenation process that stabilizes the oils in the PB. The stuff I buy, the oil separates from the PB and it says to refrigerate it after it is open. I've always been a bit leery as to how natural Jif's Natural PB is.

#161827 - 02/07/12 05:28 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: BZH]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
Mama buys Smuckers PB, and it separates. That jar suggests refrigeration only to slow down the separation; she's never refrigerated it and we've never had any problems. Refrigerating it makes it cold and stiff, so it's harder to spread.

I hate the stuff. It tastes ok, but when you open the jar and stir it up for the first time, the first third of the jar is too oily, and then the final third is too dry. Plus it's tough to spread it on soft bread.

One option is to take it all out of the jar and put it in a blender or food processor and mix the oils back in. But it's messy and you lose part of your PB in the process (it gets stuck to the sides of the container, etc.). It just depends on whether you want creamy PB or if you're willing to settle for hand-mixed.

I'm not going to fool with all that. I don't eat much PB, so I keep a jar of regular Jif on hand. It tastes better, it doesn't have to be refrigerated or mixed, it's easier to spread, and the consistency is the same from the first spread to the last.

#161828 - 02/07/12 05:31 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: BZH]
Cole Pendell Offline

Thanks for the responses! Seems like this is a good enough product to go and buy a few more.
What are your favorite recipes with pb?

Thanks again guys!

#161831 - 02/07/12 07:45 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: Barefoot Friar]
BZH Offline

Originally Posted By Barefoot Friar
Mama buys Smuckers PB, and it separates. That jar suggests refrigeration only to slow down the separation; she's never refrigerated it and we've never had any problems. ...

No... they suggest refrigerating because the non-hydrogenated oils go rancid much quicker than the hydrogenated oils. However even the non-hydrogenated stuff takes a long time to go bad. I am not at all surprised that you don't have any problems not refrigerating it. Butter, yogurt, eggs, cheese, fruit and vegetables are all very shelf stable. They are still usually recommended to be refrigerated, especially a manufactured product where if you get sick you might sue the company that made it.

#161834 - 02/07/12 10:43 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: Barefoot Friar]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
For non-hydrogenated (separating) peanut butter: Place the jar in a pan of warm water on low heat and let sit about an hour or so until it warms up. Then it's really easy to stir with a table knife until well mixed--it takes only a couple of minutes. At least refrigerate until it cools off, or it will separate again. I use Adams peanut butter; I don't want peanut butter that contains sugar or is hydrogenated.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/07/12 10:44 PM)

#161837 - 02/08/12 08:28 AM Re: Jif to Go [Re: Barefoot Friar]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
I no longer like any of the big brands of PB, so buy "natural" instead. Yes, it separates and is hard to mix. I stir it some, then put about half of the new PB into the last just emptied jar, getting as clsoe to half of the oil and solids into each jar. Then I stir in ground flax seed, a dropper-ful of stevia, and a little sea salt. Stir some more. This mixture does not separate and even my picky hubby likes it.

If you have more time than money, make your own PB (and other) pillow-packs by placeing two tablespoons of peanut butter onto a section of clean mylar snack bag (from chips, crackers, etc.), fold and seal with an iron. Viola, DIY custom travel peanut butter.

CM

#161839 - 02/08/12 10:54 AM Re: Jif to Go [Re: CamperMom]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I used those refillable plastic "toothpaste" tubes tht you could crimp and seal manually when filled. I think they are still available.

#161841 - 02/08/12 12:36 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: HeikeDog]
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
I picked up some powdered peanut butter. It's good for flavour but not for energy. These come in .85 oz. packets that equals four tablespoons. It says 85% less fat calories than traditional peanut butter. Anyone ever seen powdered PB that still has energy quality?

#161848 - 02/08/12 04:15 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: Cole Pendell]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
We have been using the Jif to go containers for a while. I like Nutella better so we end taking it in some small containers we have. You can find nutella in single packs a World Market

#161852 - 02/08/12 06:22 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: CamperMom]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
A "better" alternative to Jif is Justin's, available in stores in Colorado and online for everywhere.

A couple of the eight kinds of nuts/flavors of packets available.

I took several packets hiking on most trips last summer; they hold a little less than jif's mini-tubs, but take up less room in the trash ziplock in my pack when empty.

Justin's is all natural, uses many organic ingredients, uses 48 percent renewably-sourced packet film and is doing what it can to shrink it's footprint, such as sourcing hazelnuts out of Oregon instead of Italy. So it's quite obvious it's made in Boulder, CO, right? wink

And if you're worried about this all-natural product separating, just knead the packet for a few seconds before opening.

(Great idea, CM, adding stevia to make it sweeter, rather than high-fructose corn syrup put in the big brands, and why we should skippa-da-Skippy.)

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#161856 - 02/08/12 07:13 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: anicinabe]
BZH Offline

Originally Posted By anicinabe
... Anyone ever seen powdered PB that still has energy quality?

The liquid part of PB is the fat. So.... mix it with some peanut oil (or any oil you like) and you full fat PB!

#161860 - 02/08/12 09:04 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: BZH]
Cole Pendell Offline

Very interesting ideas guys. Really cool.

#161892 - 02/09/12 02:20 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: BZH]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
However, by the time you've seperated the peanut solids from the peanut oil, packaged them seperately, carried them seperately, then recombined them on the trail, you've probably wasted a lot of energy and money to get right back to where you started, with no real gain to show for all that effort. shocked

#161944 - 02/10/12 11:18 AM Re: Jif to Go [Re: aimless]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
That's what I was thinking - way too much effort for peanut butter! I'll just buy the packets and call it a day.

#161958 - 02/10/12 02:49 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: aimless]
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
I was going to agree with you fully then it dawned on me that I carry cooking oil with me. I could switch to peanut oil for the cooking oil. That way I could be more versatile in options of what I do carry already. Worth a try only way to find out.

#161987 - 02/11/12 01:34 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: aimless]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Indeed. I've tried the packets and they just die and make extra garbage. for most of my trips a very small plastic peanut butter jar works fine. I can't buy them that small here, but I could in austraila, so my australian peanut butter jar goes everywhere with me (refilled of course)

Browse my pictures

#162023 - 02/12/12 12:10 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: phat]
Cole Pendell Offline

I am going to have to find something that size...

Very cool picture phat. Where was that taken?

#162037 - 02/12/12 01:54 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: Cole Pendell]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Cole Pendell

Very cool picture phat. Where was that taken?

Top of Jonas Shoulder, overlooking Jonas pass (on the left) and the Poboktan valley (on the right) in Jasper National Park. One of those fantastic weather days that was absolutely perfect that I just sat on top and had lunch for no reason other than it was perfect.
Browse my pictures

#162101 - 02/13/12 03:52 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: Cole Pendell]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Read the nutrition labels! Not all peanut butter is made equal. Some brands add lots of sweetner (kids are the main consumers of peanut butter so there is a big attempt to appeal to the preschool taste- smooth and lots of sugar). I am not that concerned about organic vs. regular, but I do not like my peanut butter to be sweet. I have used those Jiff tubs. In my opinion the extra cost did not make sense and I do not like smooth peanut butter.

#163531 - 03/08/12 06:51 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: wandering_daisy]
Tye Offline

Loc: Texas
I used some of those p.butter to-go packs last weekend for my lunches along with tortillas, and Mickey D's jelly packets. Perfect. Thanks so much for posting about those packs/mini tubs.

#163546 - 03/08/12 08:52 PM Re: Jif to Go [Re: Tye]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I have some packed for my at hike. I love Jif healthy or not it is good peanut butter! Good is all that matters!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum