Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161528 - 01/31/12 03:09 PM Dog sleeping bag?
palameto Offline

Loc: East Texas
My dog has a short coat (pit bull) with no insulating undercoat, so she gets cold easily. We went backpacking last weekend and I brought her a fleece blanket to lay on/under, but that wasn't good enough and she was shivering (the low that night was 39*F). I had to let her get in my sleeping bag, which needless to say, kept me from sleeping very well. She gets pretty compact, but is still too big for both of us to fit comfortably into my mummy bag. So I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for a dog sleeping set-up. Obviously I need to get her a pad too, but I think she is going to need some insulation on top... I was envisioning something like a circular (or square) sleeping pad that has a quilted insulated cover attached 3/4 of the way around. I'm not sure this thing exists and may end up as a DIY project (problem is I don't own a sewing machine). Thoughts?

#161540 - 01/31/12 04:36 PM Re: Dog sleeping bag? [Re: palameto]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I would look for an inexpensive kid sleeping bag-something like this-
http://www.rei.com/product/808989/marmot-mavericks-40-sleeping-bag-kids

You can probably find something like this on eBay or Craigslist for $10 or so and have someone cut it down even smaller for you. I've seen hundreds of cheap bags for sale on both sites. You might find a used on at a local Goodwill if they carry that sort of thing-or at a garage sale.

Edited by TomD (01/31/12 04:41 PM)

#161545 - 01/31/12 05:05 PM Re: Dog sleeping bag? [Re: palameto]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
You could check these out (not sure how much they weigh:

http://www.bwdogcoats.com/dog-pita-bed-sleeping-bag.html

of course you could get yourself a bigger sleeping, then you both would be comfortable and warm. I'm sure you have heard of the etymology of "three dog night".

#161546 - 01/31/12 05:12 PM Re: Dog sleeping bag? [Re: BZH]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I use a square high density pad and throw my down jacket over my dog. Works pretty well for us (dog is 50 pound german shorthair). A possible downside is that the jacket tends to smell like a dog (Compared to me that is not bad tho...). I have two old REI bags where the internal baffles came apart and I am remaking one into a dog quilt. Basically it is half peanut shell shaped item to place over her with one end open to stick her head out of.

sK

#161547 - 01/31/12 05:21 PM Re: Dog sleeping bag? [Re: palameto]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
How active is your dog at night? My dog gets up several times a night, stretches, and then turns around 3 times before going back to sleep (I call him my Robert Benchley dog*), which would be a problem with a sleeping bag. Certainly any blanket ends up wadded in the corner of the tent! Also, he has a pretty furry coat so a sleeping bag would probably be too warm. I have a lightweight coat (Ruffwear Cloud Chaser) for him to wear on cold nights or if his coat is wet at bedtime. That's in addition to his Gossamer Gear Nightlite Torso Length pad.

A thin-coated dog like a pit bull probably needs a jacket in the daytime, too, if it's cold and/or rainy. It might be that the jacket could double as bedtime wear. My daughter had an Apache River fleece coat for her Viszla (they also have very thin coats, and her dog would start shivering in the mid 50's F). It's heavy fleece and has more belly coverage than most dog jackets. Her dog wore it for sleeping as well as on cold mornings and evenings. You could probably make a similar dog jacket out of a child's fleece jacket, for a lot less money. You probably want a thin rain jacket to put over the top of the fleece when it's raining.

* "A boy can learn a lot from a dog: obedience, loyalty, and the importance of turning around three times before lying down."--Robert Benchley

#161551 - 01/31/12 05:55 PM Re: Dog sleeping bag? [Re: OregonMouse]
palameto Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
A thin-coated dog like a pit bull probably needs a jacket in the daytime, too, if it's cold and/or rainy.

Remember we are in Texas! wink Not very cold in the daytime. But yeah, she actually does have a fleece vest, which is actually an old vest of mine with the sides pinned up. We just forgot to bring it! (left it in the car.. stupid, stupid). That probably would have helped a lot. Maybe I can try with just a CCF pad and the vest. She is pretty spoiled when it comes to padding - has a nice fluffy bed at home, or makes one out of a big pile of dirty clothes pulled out of the hamper, so I definitely need to get her some kind of pad.

She does not move around much at night normally, if she is comfortable. She did sit up a few times in response to nearby dogs barking (we weren't very far from civilization).

#161568 - 01/31/12 10:10 PM Re: Dog sleeping bag? [Re: palameto]
lori Offline

A friend picked up a down jacket at a thrift store and made her shorthaired dog a sleeping jacket. A couple of buckles across the underbelly and a tail hole, and he's able to walk around with it on. It's funny, when the sun starts to go down and it gets cold, he starts following her around until she puts it on him.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#161697 - 02/03/12 11:24 AM Re: Dog sleeping bag? [Re: palameto]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
If you look at my avatar, you will see that I can't really give you any good advice. My dog never gets cold at night. I always bring her a pad to sleep on, but she has never used it, even in the snow.

If I was you, thought, I would just get two fleece blankets and double them up for when it is cold. Or, buy a military poncho liner.

#161755 - 02/05/12 10:59 AM Re: Dog sleeping bag? [Re: finallyME]
palameto Offline

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought a wal-mart CCF pad and am planning to cut a piece just big enough for her to curl up on. I will bring that, her vest, and the fleece blanket and see how that goes. We are planning to go for another overnight next weekend, so I will let you know how it works out!

#161925 - 02/09/12 10:42 PM Re: Dog sleeping bag? [Re: palameto]
goatpacker Offline

Loc: Eastern Washington
I frequently take my dog on trips with temps. below freezing. My method: 2 thin dog coats (pet store variety) +small "sleeping dog bag" + 1/2" thick EVA pad inside the bag. Bag is made from an old down vest with the bottom (waist) and arm holes sewed shut. On cold nights this combination keeps her from shivering and she is quite content.

You should be able to find a vest or (jacket) at a thrift store and can easily modify/sew this by hand--as long as your dog isn't too large!

#162346 - 02/16/12 09:46 PM Re: Dog sleeping bag? [Re: goatpacker]
immortal.ben Offline

Loc: Arizona
I regularly take my short-haired dog camping in cold weather. Here is a list of his gear for sleeping.

His bed

His jacket

He wears the jacket to bed when it is cold. The bed sits on a cheap-o blue foam pad, cut in half, and double-stacked. Then, I drape a cheap-o fleece blanket on top of him. He sometimes gets up to stretch and turn around, but the colder the temps, the less he does it. Usually all you can see of him is the tip of his nose poking out from under the blanket. When he does get up, it wakes me and I am able to tuck him in again.

#166250 - 05/29/12 01:00 AM Re: Dog sleeping bag? [Re: immortal.ben]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
I've always used a kids bag that I cut off at the zipper and sewed the end so it is shorter. My dogs loved them. Conveniently I had kids that outgrew the bags first...:)
I do have a fleece sweater I can use, but I almost lost a dog to hypothermia so it would have to be pretty warm for me to use it...

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum