Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161207 - 01/26/12 06:03 PM The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review
Hikin Jim Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA, USA
I've completed my review of the new MSR MicroRocket.

If you've been following my blog posts as I wrote my review, you'll have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to say, although hopefully the review will tie everything together as well as serve as a summary.

Anyway, have a look if you like: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review

HJ

#161243 - 01/26/12 11:09 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Hikin Jim]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Great report. Did the same thing with this that I did with Brian's NeoAir XL: "Hey, Karol, Jim says I have to buy a new stove." Karol: "Jim's parents weren't married, either." smile

#161248 - 01/26/12 11:48 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Glenn]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I look at it and say.. hmmm. well, it looks almost as good as the snow peak.. What your thought on this one versus snow peak?
Browse my pictures

#161249 - 01/27/12 12:34 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: phat]
Glenn Offline

I can't tell you yet - I haven't bought the MicroRocket yet. (I want to get it from the local outfitter, and he hasn't received his shipment yet.)

I've used the Snow Peak, and found it to be an excellent stove - I'm not really sure there's any objective reason that I ended up preferring the Pocket Rocket.

Functionally, I found no difference in the Snow Peak Gigapowwer and the Pocket Rocket. (Both would benefit from a better windscreen - perhaps something welded to the bottom of the SP700 pot or the Titan Kettle, similar to the Jetboil, that would protect the flame without overheating the canister?) Both stoves brought a small (700-900ml) kettle of water to a boil in about the same amount of time; the fuel used wasn't noticeably different in similar conditions. The SP had 4 pot supports, against the PR's 3, but since I was using pots with about the same diameter as the supports, I didn't notice any real difference in stability (and never had a tipover spill with either.) I did notice that the SP folded up more compactly, and you could put a cylinder and stove inside the 700 pot (the one they sell with the stove as a "starter kit"), but you couldn't quite fit the PR and a canister into the Titan kettle. (I'm anxious to see if the MicroRocket fixes that.)

The biggest complaint I read about the PR is that the pot supports are too flimsy. I've never had any problems with this - but I'm not trying to use anything larger than the Titan kettle on it. (The few times I've cooked for a group, using a 1.5 or 2L pot, I used the MSR Superfly with a canister stand for stability; the Superfly has 4 sturdy supports and a large flame pattern - right tool for the job.)

I'd rate the PR and SP Gigapower about dead even for my purposes. After reading Jim's test series on the MicroRocket, my guess is that it doesn't perform any better or worse than the SP Gigapower, and is equally compact. I'll let you know when I've gotten one and had a chance to use it, but I suspect that I'll conclude that, if you already have an SP Giga and aren't having any problems, there wouldn't be any compelling objective reason to replace it with the MicroRocket.

#161252 - 01/27/12 02:33 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Glenn]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
Great report. Did the same thing with this that I did with Brian's NeoAir XL: "Hey, Karol, Jim says I have to buy a new stove." Karol: "Jim's parents weren't married, either." smile
I think that should be my new tag line: "Hikin' Jim, gear b@stard." lol.

HJ

#161253 - 01/27/12 02:40 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: phat]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By phat
I look at it and say.. hmmm. well, it looks almost as good as the snow peak.. What your thought on this one versus snow peak?
I have quite a number of small upright canister stoves. Here's a few (and yes I have more):
a) Snow Peak GS-100 GigaPower
b) Vargo Jet Ti
c) Markill Hot Rod
d) Optimus Crux
d) MSR SuperFly
e) Monatauk Gnat
f) Soto MicroRegulator
g) MSR PocketRocket
h) MSR MicroRocket

The two I rate as top stoves? The MicroRocket and the GigaPower. Which is the better? Well, it depends. I rate the GigaPower as superior on pot stability, and the GP has a more dispersed flame (although not as nice as say a SuperFly). On the other hand, the MicroRocket is lighter and definitely more compact.

I think it's going to come down to what matters to you as to which is the better stove.

Is the MicroRocket a better stove than the PocketRocket? That's a complete no-brainer: Yes, the MicroRocket is clearly the better stove. The only negative in that comparison against the MicroRocket is that it takes a couple of seconds to rotate the pot supports into place, but in return for those extra seconds, you get a lighter, more durable, more compact stove. A more than fair trade in my opinion.

HJ

#161255 - 01/27/12 03:06 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Glenn]
Hikin Jim Offline

Functionally, I found no difference in the Snow Peak Gigapowwer and the Pocket Rocket. (Both would benefit from a better windscreen...
You might be interested in my blog post on Windscreens

The SP had 4 pot supports, against the PR's 3, but since I was using pots with about the same diameter as the supports, I didn't notice any real difference in stability (and never had a tipover spill with either.)
Not that my opinion is the end all, be all, but if you look about maybe half way down in my The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 you'll see how I ranked five different stoves including the GP, MR, and the PR on pot stability.

...you couldn't quite fit the PR and a canister into the Titan kettle. (I'm anxious to see if the MicroRocket fixes that.)
See The MicroRocket and Small Mugs/Pots -- What Fits?

After reading Jim's test series on the MicroRocket, my guess is that it doesn't perform any better or worse than the SP Gigapower, and is equally compact. I'll let you know when I've gotten one and had a chance to use it, but I suspect that I'll conclude that, if you already have an SP Giga and aren't having any problems, there wouldn't be any compelling objective reason to replace it with the MicroRocket.
See my response to phat, above.

HJ

#161258 - 01/27/12 09:03 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Hikin Jim]
Glenn Offline

I'll gladly defer to, and probably reinforce, your findings on any of those points, Jim. My response to Phat was based purely on my own subjective results, over a very limited range of use: mostly warm conditions, boiling a cup and a half of water in a pot clearly designed to match the stove (the SP 700, with the funny little, but surprisingly functional, hooked lid, and the Titan kettle.) Your tests are far more authoritative than my conjectures, simply because your approach is more thorough and comprehensive (for example, you do real cooking), and you conduct more testing than I do - your experience base for making informed judgments and decisions is much broader than mine. (I was just telling Jim what my own gut feeling was, based on no testing of the MR.)

My conjectures about the MicroRocket are based on your reviews; my expectation is that the MR and an MSR 110g fuel canister will fit in the Titan kettle just fine. (As I recall, you didn't have an MSR canister on hand to verify that when you did the test, so I didn't want to say that for sure.)

Thanks again for the great reviews - I'll go look at your windscreen posts later.

#161264 - 01/27/12 09:40 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Hikin Jim]
phat Offline

I think I'd say it's a no brainer that it's better than the pocket rocket. a for the gigapower, you're right it's a little bit lighter, something like 10 grams lighter than the gigapower, but still has the pocket rocket burner design that I'm not so fond of (I find the gigapower does better if it's windy myself, and it's definatly not as blowtorchy into one spot..) I might consider switching if there were a *significant* weight difference, but I don't think that's really there.
Browse my pictures

#161269 - 01/27/12 10:57 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: phat]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
phat, I've always wondered if the Gigapower made a hot spot on the bottom of the pot since the burner is so small. I may have to pick one up sometime.

Duane

#161271 - 01/27/12 11:10 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: hikerduane]
Glenn Offline

I've never found either the GP or PR to discolor the center of the pot itself (my experience is limited to titanium pots.) However, the couple of times I've tried to actually cook in the pot (not just boil water), I did find that if I didn't keep stirring, food in the bottom of the pot scorched worse in the center than the edges; also, trying to cook in a pot with a larger diameter meant that the outer edges of the pot were harder to heat. This was a major factor driving me toward freezer bag cooking.

Both stoves simmered pretty well, except that you still needed to stir to keep food from sticking to the bottom of the uncoated pots I was using.

If I were going to cook "real" food, I'd use the Superfly, which has a "normal" wide flame pattern. I've been out with Scouts who used it successfully to cook eggs and such.

#161283 - 01/27/12 01:16 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Glenn]
hikerduane Offline

That's about what I found with the PR, concentrated heat, keep stirring. I don't cook much or for very long. Pancakes work out fine. I acquired a used Dragonfly finally in December, I used it last weekend to simmer a stew with stuff brought prepped from home for an hour. Worked great with no attention, I stirred now and then to be sure all ingredients cooked evenly as I had more meat than anything due to my carrots in the garden were froze in the ground. I obtained a Dragon Tamer cap made by Gary at Bluewater Restorations to make the stove run silent, it did a fantastic job. It was the third cap I've gotten from Gary. He only sells his caps thru eBay to most.

Duane

#161302 - 01/27/12 05:07 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Glenn]
Hikin Jim Offline

I'll gladly defer to, and probably reinforce, your findings on any of those points, Jim. My response to Phat was based purely on my own subjective results, over a very limited range of use: mostly warm conditions, boiling a cup and a half of water in a pot clearly designed to match the stove (the SP 700, with the funny little, but surprisingly functional, hooked lid, and the Titan kettle.) Your tests are far more authoritative than my conjectures, simply because your approach is more thorough and comprehensive (for example, you do real cooking), and you conduct more testing than I do - your experience base for making informed judgments and decisions is much broader than mine. (I was just telling Jim what my own gut feeling was, based on no testing of the MR.)

My conjectures about the MicroRocket are based on your reviews; my expectation is that the MR and an MSR 110g fuel canister will fit in the Titan kettle just fine. (As I recall, you didn't have an MSR canister on hand to verify that when you did the test, so I didn't want to say that for sure.)

Thanks again for the great reviews - I'll go look at your windscreen posts later.
Hi, Glenn,

Please let us know what you find out.

Just now I took a 227g sized canister and my Titan kettle. I'm pretty sure the MicroRocket will fit in a Titan kettle with a 113g MSR canister. The 113g size are pretty flat. I'll try to stop by an REI or something and verify that one fits. I usually prefer the smaller diameter canisters that other makers produce, so I don't have a 113g canister on hand. Sorry I forgot to do this earlier.

I did stop by an REI and a MicroRocket and a Jetboil/Snow Peak/Optimus 100g class canister fits along with a MicroRocket in a Snow Peak 700 as well as a GSI (I think it was a Soloist).

HJ

#161304 - 01/27/12 05:20 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: phat]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By phat

I think I'd say it's a no brainer that it's better than the pocket rocket. a for the gigapower, you're right it's a little bit lighter, something like 10 grams lighter than the gigapower, but still has the pocket rocket burner design that I'm not so fond of (I find the gigapower does better if it's windy myself, and it's definatly not as blowtorchy into one spot..) I might consider switching if there were a *significant* weight difference, but I don't think that's really there.
Phat,

I tend to agree. If someone has a Gigapower, I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade to a MicroRocket unless you need something more compact. The Gigapower is little heavier and a little bulkier, but it is definitely a good stove.

HJ

#161305 - 01/27/12 05:21 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: hikerduane]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
phat, I've always wondered if the Gigapower made a hot spot on the bottom of the pot since the burner is so small. I may have to pick one up sometime.

Duane
Duane,

The GP actually does a pretty decent job. True, the burner is small, but the flames go out to the side whereas the MicroRocket's go straight up. Neither is a gourmet cook's stove though. Get you a nice SuperFly or Windpro for that.

HJ

#161306 - 01/27/12 05:27 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Glenn]
Hikin Jim Offline

I've never found either the GP or PR to discolor the center of the pot itself (my experience is limited to titanium pots.) However, the couple of times I've tried to actually cook in the pot (not just boil water), I did find that if I didn't keep stirring, food in the bottom of the pot scorched worse in the center than the edges; also, trying to cook in a pot with a larger diameter meant that the outer edges of the pot were harder to heat. This was a major factor driving me toward freezer bag cooking.

Both stoves simmered pretty well, except that you still needed to stir to keep food from sticking to the bottom of the uncoated pots I was using.

If I were going to cook "real" food, I'd use the Superfly, which has a "normal" wide flame pattern. I've been out with Scouts who used it successfully to cook eggs and such.
Yep, what Glenn said.

Remember how with a MicroRocket I didn't burn my eggs on my "Omelet test," but the center was getting a lot more done than the edges.

With a SuperFly,

No problem.

Of course, the SuperFly is BIG, relatively heavy, does not pack well, and you have those danged pointy pot supports that want to poke through everything in your pack. Grrr. mad

HJ

#161307 - 01/27/12 06:36 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Hikin Jim]
Glenn Offline

I was able to pack the Superfly in a pot (I think it might have been the Titan kettle, don't hold me to that - it was a while back) by unscrewing the burner from the tube, and storing it in two parts. Not an elegant solution, but a solution. (And there was always the little voice in the back of my mind saying, "Hope you don't cross-thread it when you put it back together...")

#161327 - 01/27/12 09:47 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Hikin Jim]
hikerduane Offline

I'll just stick with the Dragonfly then. It simmers great.

Duane

#161332 - 01/27/12 10:29 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: hikerduane]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
I'll just stick with the Dragonfly then. It simmers great.

Duane

OMG... the weight.... and I turn up my nose at you like every other bonehead who has stopped 5km into the trail exhausted from the walk with their enormous packs and the dragonfly stove fired up in the middle of the trail, with the backpacking expresso machine on the top.......

Yes I'm being overly judgemental... but I really did walk by this!

Edited by phat (01/27/12 10:31 PM)
Browse my pictures

#161335 - 01/27/12 10:38 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: phat]
Glenn Offline

Some of us haven''t walked by that. Some of us have been walked by. blush

A hiking buddy, many years ago, had one of those machines and, when he offered, I accepted; at least he was carrying it.

#161337 - 01/27/12 10:46 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Glenn]
phat Offline

Some of us haven''t walked by that. Some of us have been walked by. blush

A hiking buddy, many years ago, had one of those machines and, when he offered, I accepted; at least he was carrying it.

Oh, I'm hardly self-righteous. I'm enough of a trail whore that I'll happily tell you amusing stories for 20 minutes to yogi a couple of cups of boiling water from the enormously heavy stove you are carrying wink I am completely hypocritical, as long as it's not riding on my back wink

Browse my pictures

#161344 - 01/28/12 12:32 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: phat]
hikerduane Offline

If I'm going very far, I'll only pack one stove, a light one in the summer. I used the tamed Dragonfly last weekend and my Baby Enders to get some use out of them. Since I have over 65 stoves now, I have to double them up on trips to get around to each one. smile I would normally bring one stove. If melting snow, I have a large selection now. About 16 MSR stoves now, a 9 to a Dragonfly. Normally in the winter I would bring my old International to melt snow on group trips, if solo I can bring the louder GK's, XGK's etc. Looking forward to some snow. Headed to 5' of snow in Lassen on Saturday for a small group car camp trip, bringing the Dragonfly again and a 1959 Enders 9061.
Duane
At the moment, my avatar is my pimped out Optimus 111T, a triple fuel stove.

Edited by hikerduane (01/28/12 12:35 AM)

#161406 - 01/29/12 07:32 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: phat]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Guys

The Dragonfly is great with the kids - they love pancakes.

I'm just looking for a lighter, cheap, winter (15-20 degree F) option for boiling water when I go solo, and want to walk more than 3 miles a day at a 6 year old's pace.

Steadman

#161417 - 01/29/12 10:53 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Steadman]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Steadman
Guys

The Dragonfly is great with the kids - they love pancakes.

I'm just looking for a lighter, cheap, winter (15-20 degree F) option for boiling water when I go solo, and want to walk more than 3 miles a day at a 6 year old's pace.

Steadman

If your winter is only 15-20 F, and you don't have to melt snow for water, and you're only boiling water - consider something like the penny alcohol stove - I use mine in spring/fall with methyl hydrate (yellow heet) without great problems at that temperature, and other than esbits, for boiling water solo you'll be hard pressed to find a lighter option. I also find it easier to keep a small bottle of alcohol near my body and warm for easy stove lights.

failing that, this or a snow peak would probably work good for you.
Browse my pictures

#161444 - 01/30/12 01:30 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Completed Review [Re: Hikin Jim]
Hikin Jim Offline

My expectation is that the MR and an MSR 110g fuel canister will fit in the Titan kettle just fine. (As I recall, you didn't have an MSR canister on hand to verify that when you did the test, so I didn't want to say that for sure.)
Hi, Glenn,

I stopped by an REI yesterday. I took along a Titan kettle and a MicroRocket. A 113g MSR canister and the MicroRocket fit just fine inside the Titan kettle.

No brand of 220g class canisters would fit with the stove in the kettle however.

HJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 230 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum