Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160258 - 01/12/12 09:25 PM The Citi bank commercial
Tye Offline

Loc: Texas
Has anyone seen the new Citi bank commercial? The one with the couple climbing and the woman standing on the top-rock. Do you climbers think it was a "green screen" thing or a real image? The one thing I notice is how her hair isn't moving at all while the helicopter filming is going around her.

It is one of the coolest commercials I have seen in a while.

#160287 - 01/13/12 04:36 AM Re: The Citi bank commercial [Re: Tye]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Visually very striking. As for the green screen, who knows? In the real world, her coiffure would be a bit disturbed....

#160311 - 01/13/12 01:26 PM Re: The Citi bank commercial [Re: oldranger]
Tye Offline

I googled the commercial and came across this via a rockclimbing forum.

"isutrickster Answered:
The commercial features two real life professional climbers: Katie Brown and Alex Honnold. They are not "actors" nor "stunt" people. They are both very accomplished in the sport of climbing and arguably some of the best in what they do.
The "narrow pile of rocks" is not a pile nor a stack of large boulders. It is a single rock formation. The formation was shaped from 100s of years from wind blowing sand across and around the spire in the deserts of UT. If you look closely in the commercial, there aren't cracks or gaps between the bulges.
This is real. The use of ropes and gear ensure the safety of the climbers. Her standing on the top is not uncommon when climbing spires such as these. Honestly, Citi bank probably saved money on insurance by using professional climbers rather than stunt people. Climbers are used to the heights and the exposure of the climbs. Therefore, Citi banks is using people more accustomed to these situations and decreased the overall risk of the situation. Plus, since they are well known individuals in the sport, Citi avoided the backlash from the climbing community as a whole for using stunt people or non-real life climbers…
Pull up youtube and put in these climber's names to see videos of their exploits. Or do a search on their name and "climbing" in google and read up on their accomplishments. Pretty impressive stuff.
I've also included links to pages with pics of climbers standing on spires…
-Good luck.

#160314 - 01/13/12 01:38 PM Re: The Citi bank commercial [Re: Tye]
Tye Offline

I even found this on SummitPost.org...

"Oct 15, 2011 1:00 am
Hi there... I'm a casting director in Los Angeles and am working on a Citibank commercial that is going to be shooting in the Utah Moab area - specifically Fisher Towers.
We are looking for male and female Trad Climbers that are familiar/comfortable with this area, or are at a level of climbing where this area would not be a problem, even considering the bad rock in the area.
We would need your name and contact info, a little bio about your Trad climbing experience, and some photos or video of you rock climbing (please make sure we have at least one shot that just shows your face clearly - doesn't have to be a rock-climbing shot).
We will be having a meeting with the director on Thursday 10/20, and this shoots in the Utah Moab area from 10/28 - 10/29. If you do not live in the area, travel would happen on 10/26 to Utah, and 10/30 return.
This is a SAG union job (you do NOT have to be in the union to do the job) so it will be a very well paying gig for whoever they hire.
Please email me if you are interested or know someone that would be good for this spot at shanecasting@mac.com.
Thank you!

#160327 - 01/13/12 05:56 PM Re: The Citi bank commercial [Re: Tye]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I wouldn't separate "stunt people" from "real climbers." I used to work in the film biz. Stunt men and women often have a lot of different skills, climbing, in some instances, being one of them.

As for the helo shot, it doesn't look like it was anywhere near the spire-done most likely with a gyro-stabilized camera with a long lens, like the ones used on news helos. The commercial was shot by Sender Films, they have a Facebook page with some chatter about it.

btw, I started a thread on Alex Honnold a while back. He was featured on 60 Minutes for his solo free climbing accomplishments.

Edited by TomD (01/13/12 06:12 PM)

#163606 - 03/09/12 03:13 PM Re: The Citi bank commercial [Re: Tye]
gendarme Offline

Loc: NW Arkansas
the spire itself is known as Ancient Art. ( 5.11B or 5.9AO). FA 1967.

http://images.summitpost.org/original/509346.JPG

http://www.summitpost.org/ancient-art/509337

Edited by gendarme (03/09/12 03:15 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum