Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160180 - 01/12/12 06:57 AM Pepper as an animal deterrent
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
I was thinking about the movie “Cool Hand Luke”, the scene where the escapee spreads pepper across his path to thwart the tracking dogs when it hit me. Could pepper be used as an animal deterrent for hikers? I’m thinking of sprinkling a little pepper on a pack to help keep mice away, or maybe some on a food canister to help keep bears at bay. At least it might provide a negative experience to associate with the canister.

Is anyone aware of black pepper being used as an animal deterrent? Or are the animals immune to the sneeze and merely consider it a spice?

#160182 - 01/12/12 08:22 AM Re: Pepper as an animal deterrent [Re: PerryMK]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
From what I have read, spreading pepper would attract, not deter, bears. Apparently the even odor of bear spray will attract bears, even though it is indeed effective is repelling them when used properly. So, if you have used bear spray to repel a curious bear, you probably want to move on down the trail, because the lingering smell will attract his cousins.

I have no idea as to whether pepper will repel mice, but since it would attract bears, that doesn't seem like a very good deal. Is the scene in the movie realistic? - I doubt it. Most flicks are not training films...

#160185 - 01/12/12 08:54 AM Re: Pepper as an animal deterrent [Re: PerryMK]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

No... pepper is food. it's no a deterrent.
Browse my pictures

#160186 - 01/12/12 08:59 AM Re: Pepper as an animal deterrent [Re: PerryMK]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Unless you can figure a way to rub it into the animals eyes, it is not going to be very effective anyway. Black and white pepper doesn't have enough of the right stuff anyway(if it has any). Which would you rather rub on your face; ground black pepper, or diced habinaros?

Hounds do suck up a lot of stuff into their sniffer, so I suppose there is just enough plausibility to make that work in the movie. Besides, it IS cool hand Luke.

#160193 - 01/12/12 10:52 AM Re: Pepper as an animal deterrent [Re: PerryMK]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Nope, pepper is food and is so aromatic the scent wafts for miles. Some animals don't experience the hot sensation like humans. My towns animal control officers found that pepper spray doesn't work on some dogs and don't carry it anymore.
Tasers and guns do work.
The "Cool Hand Luke" thing is a myth. Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters both had episodes on it. A dog will find you if it wants to bad enough.

Noise and light might scare off your critters....lay a trip line to an alarm/strobe around your camp? grin

I rarely sleep in a shelter when on the ground in the desert and get a kick out of the kangaroo rats sneaking in at night.
Flashlight runs them off, but they are right back in seconds,
and fun to watch. Never had a real problem with any critter
checking me out, big or small.

#160199 - 01/12/12 11:55 AM Re: Pepper as an animal deterrent [Re: PerryMK]
lori Offline

To deal with mice, remove everything from the pack and open all zippers and velcro, let them scope it out and leave without issue. Or hang it, or sleep with it.

In some places a frisbee with a hole in it strung over the top of the food bag is needed to keep the small critters sliding down the rope out of a hung bag. They can't chew through it.

Even pepper spray will attract a bear - you have to get the stuff in the softer membranes of the face where it becomes an irritant for it to repel them.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#160212 - 01/12/12 01:53 PM Re: Pepper as an animal deterrent [Re: PerryMK]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I friend of mine came back from a trip to Yosemite where a bear ate all his food, including his black pepper.

He said the bear popped the lid off with his teeth, spit it out, dumped the pepper in his mouth, licked and chewed a bit, then went on to the next item. Said the bear ate everything. He showed me a little metal canister he had filled with a super concentrated powdered orange drink mix that had a hole in it that the bear had punched through with a tooth. Said that stuff would make your mouth pucker like nothing he ever tasted, but the bear didn't mind it a bit.

So, while I haven't seen it myself, I have no doubt that the eyewitness account I heard is true.

For what it's worth, an old timer here says that many animals are attracted by most any unusual scent. While hunters were going to great lengths to become "Scentless", he went out and bought a bottle of the loudest cheap perfume he could find and splashed it all over himself before climbing into his tree stand, and he always got his deer.

"You want to go where?"

#160257 - 01/12/12 09:20 PM Re: Pepper as an animal deterrent [Re: billstephenson]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By billstephenson

For what it's worth, an old timer here says that many animals are attracted by most any unusual scent. While hunters were going to great lengths to become "Scentless", he went out and bought a bottle of the loudest cheap perfume he could find and splashed it all over himself before climbing into his tree stand, and he always got his deer.

That's a nice image, bill. Thanks. I'll be chuckling my way through dinner....

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum