Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159974 - 01/09/12 04:11 PM Andrew Skurka's New Book
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
http://andrewskurka.com/product/ultimate-hikers-gear-guide/

Saw an article about this on Trailspace. Skurka is famous for his long distance UL trips.

#160030 - 01/10/12 12:44 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: TomD]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Would be interesting to see this. IMO sometimes the more extreme users of gear are lousy at recommending gear for most other people. I think that there are very very few people that would want to hike anything like the way that Skurka does. And for me at least, gear and the associated process by which we use the gear are intimately related.

All that said, my guess nevertheless is that in this case it will be a good book; the little I know of Skurka suggests that he'll dial in suggestions that are more generally useful.

The other potential downside of a book like this is that any specific gear recommendations leave the book with a pretty limited "shelf life" in that regards.

#160189 - 01/12/12 09:29 AM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: BrianLe]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I ordered a copy. It looks like it may be a good read. Thanks for the link. I can always use another book to read this time of year!

#162787 - 02/25/12 06:18 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: Kent W]
Kent W Offline

I just Finished reading Ultimate Hikers Gear List, Bye Andrew Skurka. Over all a pretty good read. If someone is tring to lighten there load without being minamalist. This would be a great book to read. I think most Lightweight hikers in this forum could relate. While he is a extreame hiker, he is lightweight. I wouldnt say ultralightweight, and neither will I ever be.

#162841 - 02/27/12 01:03 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: Kent W]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thanks, Kent. I read the sample download, and couldn't really tell whether he was bleeding-edge ultralight (which I'm no longer interested in) or just for going as light as possible without doing dumb things. Between your comments, and his own comments in the first few pages about going "dumb light," I think I'll go ahead and buy it.

#162847 - 02/27/12 01:40 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: Glenn]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Originally Posted By Glenn
I think I'll go ahead and buy it.
Order from his web site and you get a signed copy.

I'm almost done reading the book and will offer my comments in the next few days.

#162887 - 02/27/12 07:49 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: PerryMK]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
As the title indicates, this is a gear guide. It also includes anecdotes from the author, an accomplished hiker. The focus is on light. He distinguishes between hiker and camper and makes the point that one doesn't have to be one or the other. However the distinction is useful to understand why he recommends what he recommends.

Some of his suggestions are extreme (urinating while walking, p.19), some I simply don’t care for (don’t bring extra clothes, p.33). But just because I don’t care for some extreme measures doesn’t mean I can’t learn from them. He also provides other less extreme suggestions, along with tables comparing the pros and cons of various options. I especially liked his sample gear kits at the end of the book. Gear list with weights for different types of hikes.

I like to think one can always learn something, no matter the source, but I’m not sure that anyone who has been on this board for a few years will learn much. Nothing struck me as earth-shattering. I would certainly suggest this book to beginner hikers, which I am happily consider myself to always be.

#162929 - 02/28/12 12:00 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: PerryMK]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
LOL I doubt we women will ever try his "urinate while walking" advise!

Last year while hiking in the Trinity Alps I met a formal group of UL backpackers. This struck me as a good idea- if you are going to try out UL doing it with other people more experineced is a safer way to go than just going out on your own and it is very helful to see how everyone else's gear performs. UL gear is not cheap, so it is really nice to see it in action before buying it.

#162985 - 02/28/12 10:14 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: wandering_daisy]
Kent W Offline

First off he mentioned he had tried it. He didnt say it was his practiced day to day routine? He is not ultralight in my opinion. He does hike very lightweight, with total consideration to all his gear. Course it is all his gear provided by sponsers I am sure? It is a good resource for someone wanting to go light.

#163443 - 03/07/12 12:56 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: wandering_daisy]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
"LOL I doubt we women will ever try his "urinate while walking" advise!"

Well, not intentionally anyhow...

I went to hear him give presentations the past 2 nights in Livermore. Monday night was on his Alaska/Yukon expedition - lots of amazing photos and videos, stories, and very inspiring. Last night was sort of a condensed version of his book, with him going through at the end what he would take in terms of gear for a JMT hike, and why those particular types of items rather than alternatives.

I think he's in San Francisco at the Sports Basement out by the Presidio tonight and tomorrow (March 7/8), with the same formats. I'd recommend it for anyone who's able to get there; he comes across as very likeable, high-energy, and supremely organized.

#163445 - 03/07/12 01:28 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: PerryMK]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm about 3/4 of the way through it. You're right, I haven't learned much from it, but I still am enjoying it. It's well-written, and he's clearly very knowledgable. (It was a relief not to read 20 pages about how the upper is attached to sole of a shoe!)

It's not quite as lively a writing style as Colin Fletcher; I only mention that because he states early on that he was trying to emulate the Complete Walker series.) However, he does succeed by following the same general approach Fletcher did in the original Complete Walker: he covers the range of gear, and how to use it, mostly by describing what he himself uses.

As far as the "ultimate hiker" bias that he clearly discloses, it's not disctracting even though I don't intend to take it to that extreme. It helps inform you about his choice of gear, and he does incclude a fair amount of "if you're not an ultimate hiker, you may be happier with..." information.

This book is of limited value (but great interest) to me, after all these years of turning into a curmudgeon (I think that's what Fletcher called it?). However, if someone just starting out were to ask me what book to read first, I'm thinking this just might be the one I'd recommend. It could spark a lot of good discussions when we headed out to spend his/her money!

#163447 - 03/07/12 01:56 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: Glenn]
swammie Offline

Loc: ca
I noticed he speaks all over the country. Often times it's for free or a low price. See the schedule here. He's in SF tomorrow night so I'm taking some scouts along.

#165161 - 04/20/12 03:29 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: swammie]
Tye Offline

Loc: Texas
I know this is an old post, but I figured I'd throw my 2 pesos in. I received and read the book. I am happy with the purchase. What I found valuable was his take on clothing. In this age of every company out there confusing me on water-proof-resistant-breathable, etc. Skurka did an awesome job of comparing and explaining all that, and then adding that "you will get wet." If in the moisture long enough, nothing will keep it from happening and the best bet is to have stuff that will dry fast.

In all other areas of hiking/camping, he did great comparing options and explaining good and bad.

The book was a real world take on things. Many forums and internet sources give advice that is just a little "silver-spooned" or "uppity" without actually having used the stuff on real hikes, just the reviewers back yard and their theories of physics, thermodynamics, fuel consumption numbers, etc. I know the previous couple sentences may not have made sense, but it was my best try at the explanation.
That said, most of the guys here on this forum are very helpful and realistic and experienced. That other lightweight bp site; good gosh, those "office cubical hikers" are something else.

#165166 - 04/21/12 07:38 AM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: Tye]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
Thanks Tye. I just got the book and am looking forward to reading it. I know what you mean. I'm looking forward to it because of Skurka's extensive in the field, real-backcountry experience.

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#165171 - 04/21/12 11:26 AM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: Paulo]
swammie Offline

Loc: ca
Here's a 1 hour video of Andrew Skurka, at Google, speaking his speak: CLICK

#165177 - 04/21/12 02:14 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: Paulo]
lori Offline

There are a lot of things I agree with him on - wet feet, clothing, etc.

Some of his advice is likely to lead regular ol' backpackers astry tho. He has NOT been correct in his assumptions about food storage in the Sierra - they have not "outlawed" bear bag hanging, and he is dead wrong that canisters would not be necessary if everyone could hang food properly - they are absolutely necessary in Yosemite where the bears have proven, time and time again, to be able to defeat properly hung food.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#165208 - 04/23/12 02:04 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: lori]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
I don't know if he's wrong about bear hanging. Yosemite's bears have definitely learned how to get at them and most likely from bad hanging habits. They can do a lot more now, but that most likely would have been avoidable if people never had made it easy for them.

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#172108 - 11/19/12 12:10 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: TomD]
dolomiti Offline

Loc: houston, tx
I bought it. I think it is pretty great, but most people on here probably know 95% of what is in it.

The positives, Andrew is a pretty humble guy, considering what he has accomplished. He does not put down other people's styles, just points out that if you are going to hike in with 50lbs, long distance days are moot.

His book pretty much finally hammered in the point that bullet-proof gear is not necessary. The most important piece of gear is your brain, and with knowledge and experience comes confidence, and that allows you to accomplish your goals w/o a life preserver.

Even though I have been familiar with the concept of light backpacking and Andrew for a while, I finally feel confident to go on a multi-day trek with a 12lb pack, instead of the 40lbs I lugged around RMNP a couple of years ago.
you can leave right now.

#172149 - 11/20/12 01:09 AM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: Paulo]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Paulo
I don't know if he's wrong about bear hanging. Yosemite's bears have definitely learned how to get at them and most likely from bad hanging habits. They can do a lot more now, but that most likely would have been avoidable if people never had made it easy for them.

The bears have gotten properly hung food, repeatedly. It doesn't matter how they got that way - they are that way now, and they'll continue to be, because people don't believe they are and try to hang or use illegal storage methods like the Ursack, which has been defeated by black bears there too.

They get the food by being persistent. The harder we try to reverse this problem, the crazier the bears get trying to defeat what we do to keep them away from the food.

If bears in other areas learned that persistence paid off, as the Yosemite bears have, you'd see a lot more canister requirements. Consistent use of the canisters in Yosemite continues to be a problem as does carelessness in the campgrounds and parking lots, so the bears will keep breaking into cars, swiping food off tables, and stealing backpacks. Which they have done many times.

A friend of mine tells the tale of planning to do the JMT in one go, with a backpack loaded down with a couple weeks' worth of food, several years before the canister requirements went into effect. Second night out, he hung his food with great care and with plenty of distance between the trunk and the end of the branch, at least 20 feet off the ground - the perfect counterbalance. Within hours a mama bear happened by, sent the cubs up the tree to chew the rope, and made off with two full sacks of food. Discouraged, he returned to Tioga Rd and hopped on a bus for his car and went home.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#172155 - 11/20/12 05:37 AM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: lori]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Bears are smart. They figure things out. This is especially true when they get to learn in stages. Poorly hung bags will be easy success and they will continue to persevere with the difficult ones until they figure it out. Kind of like squirrels and bird feeders. It is just a matter of time. But my point is really about canisters. They aren't bearproof either. It is a matter of time before they get figured out too. A certain bear(20 year old sow) in the adirondacks has gained some notoriety for figuring out the bear-vault canister. She then figured out the new lid design quicker than it took them to develop it. She was just killed by a hunter the other day, so for now it is not an issue. Latest reports suggest that she had not yet taught her cubs her trick. But if she could figure it out, others will too, eventually. It is also not inconceivable that other canisters will also be figured out eventually. Bears are smart.

Along similar lines, a little talked about article written about Cliff Jacobson (of boundary water canoeing fame) is interesting regarding how he keeps food away from bears.

#172189 - 11/20/12 03:50 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: DTape]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have to agree with Ron Moak of Six Moon Designs (in a recent panel discussion at the ALDHA-West meeting)--he'd far rather read a book about Andrew's adventures rather than yet another gear book which will be outdated in a year or less!

Yet Andrew continues to insist on his blog that he's not interested in writing about his Alaska-Yukon trip.

#172221 - 11/21/12 05:07 PM Re: Andrew Skurka's New Book [Re: OregonMouse]
dolomiti Offline

Loc: houston, tx
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

Yet Andrew continues to insist on his blog that he's not interested in writing about his Alaska-Yukon trip.

I bet he will be married soon, and he'll have more free time to start writing more books (and making $$$).
you can leave right now.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum