Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159933 - 01/08/12 10:04 PM The SuperGnat (Gaz or Threaded Canisters)
Hikin Jim Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA, USA
There are two types of modern gas canisters for backpacking (see Backpacking Gas Canisters 101 for further information).

Generally, stoves built for one type of canister only work with that type of canister. For example, Camping Gaz stoves generally only work with Camping Gaz canisters. There are a few exceptions. Unfortunately, those exceptions aren't very lightweight.

However, there is a relatively lightweight stove that will use either Camping Gaz or threaded canisters. Check out The SuperGnat.

HJ

#159934 - 01/08/12 10:52 PM Re: The SuperGnat (Gaz or Threaded Canisters) [Re: Hikin Jim]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Interesting - although personally, having backpacked in a lot of places and taken a snow peak stove with me semi-frequently - I've never had too much trouble finding lindal valve canisters.. i.e. if I can find the silly french campingaz ones I can find "normal" ones... or nothing at all..

I have of course, seen people with a campingaz stove trying to use a lindal valve canister - unsuccessfully... A belgian couple starting west coast trail as I was finishing one year.. we had a bit of a giggle and then loaned them a snow peak - they were nice and mailed it back to us wink
Browse my pictures

#159942 - 01/09/12 07:17 AM Re: The SuperGnat (Gaz or Threaded Canisters) [Re: Hikin Jim]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
That looks very similar to the MSR Superfly - though at 5 or 6 ounces (depends on whether you get the piezo igniter), I'm not sure the Superfly qualifies as lightweight.

I haven't tested the "universal fit" claim by MSR - any thoughts about it versus the SuperGnat?

(Just for the record, I really like MSR gear, but I have no affiliation with MSR, and am not trying to shill for their stuff - except to the extent of my own experience with it.)

#160002 - 01/10/12 12:33 AM Re: The SuperGnat (Gaz or Threaded Canisters) [Re: phat]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By phat
I've never had too much trouble finding lindal valve canisters...
Here's a bit of trail trivia: Camping Gaz and standard threaded canisters both use Lindal valves. The threaded ones of course have threads on the connector and the Camping Gaz ones don't, but the valves are the same.

Lindal valves are also on Powermax canisters which alas have been discontinued. frown

HJ

#160003 - 01/10/12 12:34 AM Re: The SuperGnat (Gaz or Threaded Canisters) [Re: Glenn]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
That looks very similar to the MSR Superfly - though at 5 or 6 ounces (depends on whether you get the piezo igniter), I'm not sure the Superfly qualifies as lightweight.

I haven't tested the "universal fit" claim by MSR - any thoughts about it versus the SuperGnat?

(Just for the record, I really like MSR gear, but I have no affiliation with MSR, and am not trying to shill for their stuff - except to the extent of my own experience with it.)
Oh, dear, someone didn't click on the link and read the post... smile Click and ye shall be enlightened as to the connection to MSR and to where I got the name from.

HJ

#160008 - 01/10/12 07:13 AM Re: The SuperGnat (Gaz or Threaded Canisters) [Re: Hikin Jim]
Glenn Offline

You're right, I didn't. blush Only had a few minutes to scan the newer posts - stupid work!

Now that I have, I see that making the universal-fit SuperGnat requires that you also have a Superfly available (i.e., buying a Superfly or buying the valve as a replacement part from MSR), which could take some of the shine off the idea cost-wise. However, if you were going somewhere that universal fit was absolutely critical, cost may not be an issue.

Neat idea.

#160027 - 01/10/12 12:43 PM Re: The SuperGnat (Gaz or Threaded Canisters) [Re: Glenn]
Hikin Jim Offline

Work! Ack! Don't use that kind of language around me. smile

Yeah, you'd have to be a multi stove kind of guy for this to be useful. But if you went on some group trips and other trips that were solo "fast and light" type trips, you could get a SuperFly and a Gnat. The SuperFly has a large head that distributes heat well (to avoid the "hot spots" a pencil type flame causes) and big pot supports. You could easily use a SuperFly for a group or for real cooking. Then for solo trips, the little Gnat could be used.

Dunno. Guess it is kind of pricey. I'm a stovie. What can I say? smile

But if I were traveling in Europe, this would be the first stove I'd grab. It actually could be used with more than just Camping Gaz and standard threaded canisters. I've hooked it up to a small canister intended for a butane hand torch. You'd have to be very careful because some canisters have dip tubes or vapor feed tubes, but you can basically attach a SuperFly/SuperGnat to any canister with a collar and a female valve. Personally, I'd only use CG and standard threaded canisters unless I just couldn't find anything else and then use it very cautiously.

HJ

#160039 - 01/10/12 02:43 PM Re: The SuperGnat (Gaz or Threaded Canisters) [Re: Hikin Jim]
Glenn Offline

I wasn't trying to downplay the idea - let him among you who has less than 3 stoves cast the first canister, right? You've almost convinced me I need to buy a Superfly just so I can play around with my PocketRocket and (when they start releasing them to us mere mortals who don't test stoves smile ) my new MicroRocket. NOTE: I'm writing this from work, and don't have a stove to look at - I can't remember whether the valve can detach from the PR, and if it can, whether it's the same size. Now I've got something to do at home tonight.

#160081 - 01/11/12 02:18 AM Re: The SuperGnat (Gaz or Threaded Canisters) [Re: Glenn]
Hikin Jim Offline

Interesting idea, Glenn.

Let us know how it goes.

HJ

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum