Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159577 - 01/04/12 12:24 AM The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2
Hikin Jim Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA, USA
It was a beautiful day in the Los Angeles area yesterday, so I decided to go on a hike. I journeyed up Angeles Crest Highway to the Waterman Mountain area.

The day was clear and the views were stupendous.

Of course, I took a few stoves along. smile Indeed, one of my main objectives for this hike was to test the new MSR MicroRocket stove at a relatively high elevation (8038'/2450m).

So, won't you please join me for The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2?

HJ

#159580 - 01/04/12 07:04 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Hikin Jim]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
As usual, great report - thanks.

#159592 - 01/04/12 12:50 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Hikin Jim]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Hikin Jim, I have to admit that you have put up some interesting reads. Been enjoying myself going through them and I like the trip report format in particular.

Although I would not consider myself a gear head, I myself have a number of stoves with one of them being a PocketRocket. I sense with you, that like me, if you want to simmer with the thing, it really isn't that much of a problem in general. Even at 8000 feet. Why on this last trip I took, my 19 year old partner (with 6 backpack trips under his belt) was simmering his Knorr pasta sides in a titanium pot without burning them using his PR. Probably the 2 big ticket complaints are the high CO output (cooking in the tent) and the storage of the stove head. Shape and size wise, it is just awkward and I am a little afraid of breaking the thing so it goes in my Ti pot with the kitchen rag. Do a trout frying comparison and you will REALLY get my interest 'cause I never take my PR out when I plan to eat trout. I just don't "cook" over those cannister style stoves myself.

Having gone through all your Microrocket reviews, you do have me convinced that the microrocket is a solid improvement over the PR (which is a decent stove in itself). Great stuff! Keep it up.

sK

#159604 - 01/04/12 02:44 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Glenn]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
As usual, great report - thanks.
Hi, Glenn,

You're welcome.

HJ

#159608 - 01/04/12 03:53 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: skcreidc]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By skcreidc
Hikin Jim, I have to admit that you have put up some interesting reads. Been enjoying myself going through them and I like the trip report format in particular.

Although I would not consider myself a gear head, I myself have a number of stoves with one of them being a PocketRocket. I sense with you, that like me, if you want to simmer with the thing, it really isn't that much of a problem in general. Even at 8000 feet. Why on this last trip I took, my 19 year old partner (with 6 backpack trips under his belt) was simmering his Knorr pasta sides in a titanium pot without burning them using his PR. Probably the 2 big ticket complaints are the high CO output (cooking in the tent) and the storage of the stove head. Shape and size wise, it is just awkward and I am a little afraid of breaking the thing so it goes in my Ti pot with the kitchen rag. Do a trout frying comparison and you will REALLY get my interest 'cause I never take my PR out when I plan to eat trout. I just don't "cook" over those cannister style stoves myself.

Having gone through all your Microrocket reviews, you do have me convinced that the microrocket is a solid improvement over the PR (which is a decent stove in itself). Great stuff! Keep it up.

sK
Hi, SK,

Thanks. No good trout fishing areas close to hand here, but I've been thinking of seeing if I can cook a decent omelet. I figure if I can cook a nice, fluffy omelet, then I ought to be able to cook trout, make pancakes, etc.

HJ

#159610 - 01/04/12 04:30 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Hikin Jim]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Thank you very much for the nice well done report. I can't wait for these to hit shelves so I can pick me up one smile

#159612 - 01/04/12 04:44 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Hikin Jim]
skcreidc Offline

HJ...good call on the omelet! If you can do one folded and all on a backpacking stove, I'd be impressed ... period. Those are hard enough to do at home. Very sensitive to the heat distribution and the pan. Could be a very good test of heat control and tasty too wink

#159658 - 01/05/12 09:55 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Hikin Jim]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Excellent report. I don't remember ever being able to see Catalina from the mountain. There was always a lot of smog that covered it up. Sometimes you can't even see it from the beach.

#159684 - 01/05/12 04:08 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: GDeadphans]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By GDeadphans
Thank you very much for the nice well done report. I can't wait for these to hit shelves so I can pick me up one smile
BackCountryGear.com already has them on the site...

HJ

#159685 - 01/05/12 04:10 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: finallyME]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
Excellent report. I don't remember ever being able to see Catalina from the mountain. There was always a lot of smog that covered it up. Sometimes you can't even see it from the beach.
That was an exceptionally clear day indeed. Seeing Catalina isn't all that common. Seeing it clearly even less so. Seeing both Catalina and San Clemente is just plain unheard of.

HJ

#159689 - 01/05/12 04:25 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: skcreidc]
Hikin Jim Offline

HJ...good call on the omelet! If you can do one folded and all on a backpacking stove, I'd be impressed ... period. Those are hard enough to do at home. Very sensitive to the heat distribution and the pan. Could be a very good test of heat control and tasty too wink
Exactly. smile

HJ

#159700 - 01/05/12 06:46 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Hikin Jim]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
When condition are just right, I can see Santa Barbara Island and Santa Catalina from the hills above my house, but it only happens about five days a year - usually in the winter time.

#159792 - 01/07/12 12:35 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: oldranger]
Hikin Jim Offline

Yes, almost exclusively in the winter. And this was one of those truly rare days. Just gorgeous.

HJ

#159793 - 01/07/12 12:39 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: skcreidc]
Hikin Jim Offline

Did someone say "omelet?" smile

Courtesy of an MSR MicroRocket this morning. I've got a full report on my blog: MSR MicroRocket -- Cooking Report

HJ

#159805 - 01/07/12 05:26 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Hikin Jim]
Glenn Offline

Another great report. I particularly appreciated the insight about real cooking: it's the pan, not the stove, that really determines the outcome. The stove's contribution is adjustability, but even a winner in that category won't produce good results on poor cookware. It's something that those of us who just boil water easily forget.

#159830 - 01/07/12 02:26 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Glenn]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Lets hear it for cooking real food on the trail. smile I can cook pancakes to perfection in my titanium skillet, over a campfire or a stove, it just takes practice and you have to keep the pan moving to keep the heat distributed well, generally I would be holding the pan in the air above the heat and watching intently to control the cooking.

It would be much easier with an aluminum skillet with a thick bottom.

Boiling water requires much less heat adjustment than cooking and stoves that only put out full on cannot be used for cooking pancakes or eggs.
Jim thanks

Edited by Jimshaw (01/07/12 02:27 PM)

#159832 - 01/07/12 02:40 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

I'll gladly eat "real" food on the trail - if it's cooked by someone else. To me (and this is personal preference, not a judgment on anyone else's preference), anything more than boil-and-dump is just too much like a chore, and therefore detracts from the simple enjoyment that is the goal of my trips. I'd rather spend the time sitting, with a blank mind, listening to the wind blow through the trees, watch the clouds move around, or just stare. But that's just me - everyone else needs to do what they enjoy, too.

#159838 - 01/07/12 03:44 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Glenn]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Quote:
I'll gladly eat "real" food on the trail - if it's cooked by someone else.

And if someone else will wash the dishes!

#159856 - 01/07/12 06:29 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Hikin Jim]
skcreidc Offline

Gotta love it! Got tears in my eyes from laughing. Great job; that omelet looks mighty good to me. How did I miss this post earlier?

So about that trip HJ...you're doing the cooking and bringing that Belgique brand annodized 10" skillet, right? wink

#159876 - 01/07/12 11:05 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: skcreidc]
Hikin Jim Offline

Gotta love it! Got tears in my eyes from laughing. Great job; that omelet looks mighty good to me. How did I miss this post earlier?

So about that trip HJ...you're doing the cooking and bringing that Belgique brand annodized 10" skillet, right? wink

Hey, you catch me a mess of trout and I just might. Trout, pan fried in butter, baby! YES!! That pan got 5oz lighter just thinking about those trout. smile

HJ

#159883 - 01/08/12 09:49 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Glenn]
PappyBanjo Offline

Loc: Maryland
Originally Posted By Glenn
To me (and this is personal preference, not a judgment on anyone else's preference), anything more than boil-and-dump is just too much like a chore, and therefore detracts from the simple enjoyment that is the goal of my trips.

I agree completely, Glenn. When I go car camping with the fam, I have a kitchen set up that would make a chuck wagon cook jealous and cooking is one of my planned activities. But when I go backpacking, my only activities are hiking and viewing the wilderness--everything else is only done out of necessity.

#159884 - 01/08/12 10:03 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: PappyBanjo]
Hikin Jim Offline

Different strokes for... different trips.

Some trips I'm out to cover miles, bag peaks, etc. Some trips are just to get out. I have different objectives depending on the trip and may adopt radically different cooking styles depending on who is coming, etc.

HJ

#159938 - 01/09/12 12:27 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Hikin Jim]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Originally Posted By Hikin Jim

Hey, you catch me a mess of trout and I just might. Trout, pan fried in butter, baby! YES!! That pan got 5oz lighter just thinking about those trout. smile

HJ

It's amazing how trout seem to make everything not so heavy!

#160001 - 01/10/12 12:28 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2 [Re: Samoset]
Hikin Jim Offline

Except me. wink

HJ

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum