Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137527 - 08/11/10 12:37 PM Best ultralight radio?
humblefan Offline

Looking for an ultralight radio with AM/FM/possibly shortwave or weatherband. I found this review and think either the Grundig G1000A or the Tecsun R9702 might be best choices (not the smallest on the list but alot better clarity that the slightly smaller models). Does anyone have a better idea before I pull the trigger.

Edited by humblefan (08/11/10 12:38 PM)

#137545 - 08/11/10 04:50 PM Re: Best ultralight radio? [Re: humblefan]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Be sure to look at Sangean. The DT-400W has weather. I don't own it but have the SR-3, which is only 2 oz but still has a speaker.

cheers,

#138286 - 09/02/10 02:18 PM Re: Best ultralight radio? [Re: humblefan]
Ecrow Offline

Loc: N. New Mexico
I use a G1000a every night on my bed stand. You can discern some slight static or dirtyness at all times. It does good at Am Fm and the shortwave is good for its size. At 8 or nine ounces, I really wouldn't carry it.

#138916 - 09/16/10 11:53 PM Re: Best ultralight radio? [Re: Ecrow]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I personally think any radio is just overkill, thus non lightweight. HOWEVER, if you really wanted to, I used to have this flashlight with a AM/FM radio combo. It was pretty sweet now that I think about it. I dont remember the brand name, but if I can I find that thing again I will post it up for ya. I am pretty sure I bought it back in elementary school for the PTA catalog program thing.

#139012 - 09/19/10 03:24 PM Re: Best ultralight radio? [Re: GDeadphans]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I think crickets , frogs , owls, birds and critter noises are the best radio. Iknow there the lightest as I dont have to carry them. I get to get away from civilization. I do have a barometric weather function on my watch. it seems to be very reliable in predicting precip coming in. Happy trails

#139016 - 09/20/10 07:15 AM Re: Best ultralight radio? [Re: Kent W]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Well said! I can only add to the list - the sound of wind in the pine trees...

#139027 - 09/20/10 01:19 PM Re: Best ultralight radio? [Re: GDeadphans]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I only bother to take one on longer trips and even then, it usually stays in the pack. But again this year I was reminded why I like to have one--presuming I'm somewhere I can get a signal.

On day three of a weeklong high Sierra trip an unexpected storm front appeared with clouds, plunging temperatures, wind, and sleet and snow flurries. There had been nothing like this in the extended forecast the morning we left.

Being days and several passes away from the trialhead, we wanted to know what to expect before either heading farther along the planned route, hunkering down where we were, heading for lower altitude and the shelter of woods, or bugging out.

As it turned out we couldn't get a forecast for another day and a half, when we found out the storm wouldn't get any worse and would be over in another day.

Another trip, a different scenario. Again days from the trailhead, we began to experience heavy smoke and ash, indicating a big fire in the area. Since the smoke seemed to be coming from the general direction of our trailhead, we wanted to know whether we'd be hiking into a wildfire if we stayed on route. A news report identified the fire's location as a couple canyons beyond the trailhead, so we decided we could safely hike out early (there's little fun camping in choking smoke).

So a small radio is an imperfect resource in the mountains, but can be a big help in making the right decision.

#139034 - 09/20/10 04:34 PM Re: Best ultralight radio? [Re: Kent W]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
When you are solo in a one man tent and it gets dark at 6 PM and you have four hours to listen to crickets, you soon find a radio to be a good thing. My radio is AM/FM/SW so I have always been able to get something. Sometimes it is not what I would choose if given a choice but it usually beats four hours of staring at the tent ceiling.

#139050 - 09/20/10 07:57 PM Re: Best ultralight radio? [Re: GrumpyGord]
Kent W Offline

I am not saying you should not take a radio if you want one.However after dark alone . Hmmm a candle and a book to read works for me. We are al individuals. Amen.

#139068 - 09/21/10 05:54 AM Re: Best ultralight radio? [Re: Kent W]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By Kent W
I am not saying you should not take a radio if you want one.However after dark alone . Hmmm a candle and a book to read works for me. We are al individuals. Amen.

It is interesting because I read a lot at home but I find it physically uncomfortable to read in a tent. I find it uncomfortable to read in a prone position and I have trouble sitting up very long without a back rest.

#139115 - 09/21/10 09:03 PM Re: Best ultralight radio? [Re: GrumpyGord]
Kent W Offline

I stuff clothes in my sleeping bag stuff sack for a pillow. My eyes arnt what they used to be so the candle is a bit of exageration but the headlamp does work well for me. I have consoidered taking my mp3 but just cant make myself do it! I would rather hunt Sasquatch! Happy Trails

#141749 - 11/10/10 12:43 PM Re: Best ultralight radio? [Re: humblefan]
RobJT Offline

I can't say it's the best choice, but I just picked up an Eton Microlink FR160. Crank/solar powered, but the cell phone charger is iffy...you have to keep cranking it to charge the phone.

For power, I really want a solar charger to stick on my pack and charge my emergency phone.

* AM (520-1710 KHz) & FM (87-108MHz)
* NOAA weatherband – all 7 channels
* Built-in 3 white LED light source