Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159675 - 01/05/12 02:14 PM Looking for others to go with?
rm56 Offline

Loc: Northern CA, Placer co.
I'm 55, I have backpacked before. My trouble is my wife and son are not into it. My son is special needs and last Summer after months of planning he tired out way too soon and kept tripping and falling in Yosemite. We turned back only 1 1/2 miles out on the trail, the trip was over, not really his fault and I did not want him to get hurt worse. I'm looking for someone to go with my age. I am in decent shape just not a runner. I would like to return to Yosemite but I don't know which trails to do and I really don't want to do a 4 day week long trip. I'm looking for a one or two night weekend trip at first. There is a Sierra club guy here where I work but he is planning a 28 mile trip on the John Muir trail 3-4 days. I'd like to do a shorter weekend trip. I live in Lincoln above Sacramento. I was thinking of contacting the local REI but they want too much $$ just to go on a trip. I'd rather find some others my age and go along. I'm not a stranger to packing it. I've done Desolation, Trinity and some Sierras. I used to go solo because it was hard to find people with time off. But as I'm older now going solo is not a good idea, but if I have to I'll do that. I'd really like to do a Yosemite trip (on my bucket list). I have all new gear and I'm willing to share that and my experience with backpacking. I'm an old Army sergeant but I'm easy going not a drill instructor. Just used to hiking. Thanks

#159680 - 01/05/12 02:46 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: rm56]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
You might want to check meetup.com to see if there are any hiking groups in your area. Meetup.com is an organized venue for clubs of all types. Some have nominal fees, some don't. It can a good way to meet people with similar interests.

Additionally, do what you're doing. Post on this and other sites looking for a hiking partner. Of course be careful; there are a lot of whack jobs out there.

I think anyone who does any amount of hiking soon finds themselves going solo. Maybe leaving your itinerary with your wife and a park ranger would you a little more comfortable.

#159681 - 01/05/12 02:54 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: rm56]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
On behalf of second lieutenants everywhere (Air Force in my case), thank you and all the other non-coms who taught us how to be officers. I know in my case, the lessons my sergeants taught me, and the attitudes and habits they helped me develop, have served me very well throughout my life (I'm now 61.)

Have you tried asking your Sierra Club friend if he'd be interested in doing some short weekend trips?

Another source might be the local gear shop (not the big-box like REI.) Quite often, mine will "sponsor" weekend trips in the sense that they'll come up with a place to go, a date, arrange the car pool, and perhaps send someone (with appropriate certifications for first aid, etc.) from the store along as a guide. They don't charge for it, but "offer" to put together a food package from the store at a discounted price. They do it hoping to build business. It works well for them, in my case, and it has also worked well for me. I went from no hiking buddies to two hiking buddies over the course of two store trips to a nearby metropark that just happens to have a 30 mile backpack trail (in OHIO!!)

By the way, I used to do quite a bit of solo hiking and I'm now more comfortable with a companion. It's not a fear factor, it's just that what I want out of a trip has changed; I find I enjoy company more now. The bonus is that my wife (also a non-hiker) is also more comfortable about my going if I'm with someone. I suspect it may be that having a witness makes it quicker to obtain the life insurance check. smile

I'm sure others from your area will have more specific information about other hiking groups.

#159707 - 01/05/12 08:40 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: rm56]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
googling "hiking clubs Sacramento" brings up quite a few hits; some of those surely must be active. How about the Sierra Club? Nearly all clubs welcome non-members on their trips, sometimes charging a small amount and sometimes not. It's also a great way to save on gas by car-pooling.

Going with a club will be a wonderful way to meet future hiking partners for your own trips.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/05/12 08:42 PM)

#159713 - 01/05/12 11:11 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
OM- I have yet to be impressed by the "hiking clubs" in Sacramento area that you find on the internet. I was a Sierra Club member for a few years, but they seem to focus on day trips and are more socially oriented (long drives for a short hike with lots of chit chat). If that is your style, then maybe check them out.

Please check out my trip reports I have posted (solo trips and those with my husband and friends), to see what kind of "hiking" we do. Send me a PM with your phone number and I will call you. Only way to see if we all could manage a trip together is to meet you and talk a bit.

#159716 - 01/05/12 11:53 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: rm56]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I work over the hill in Carson City, then go home to Plumas County on Friday. I'm 58 last time I looked, with Retail Management experience. I've been doing a lot of local bping and car camping (Plumas County) since Labor Day weekend. I collect old stoves and figured I need to get out more to make use of my gems. I do Desolation, Carson Pass, Yosemite (in a week to HH), Lassen (end of the month), week trips on my vacations to the southern Sierra, etc. PM me, I want to do Desolation before the snow melts off this Spring, same as the last two Springs. I used to frequent a Yahoo group, NorthCA Hiking, but they have mostly gone over to FB and I don't do that. I still get some trips in with the people I met thru there, I have done maybe three trips with some of them last year, the last trip in August to Thousand Lakes. We have all been together for almost 8 years, variying ages too. Late 20's to 60's and a few gear testers in the bunch, so they are neat to bp with and pick their brains. Maybe between everyone, you can get in a few group/small group trips. Be forewarned, we bp year round.
Duane

#159780 - 01/06/12 08:55 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: PerryMK]
rm56 Offline

Thanks, concerning "wack jobs" care to elaborate? Have you had any run ins with kooks hiking?

#159781 - 01/06/12 09:01 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: Glenn]
rm56 Offline

Sure sir, but I'm pretty sure you did not retire an LT? I've been meaning to ask Mr. L the Sierra club guy at my job. He goes to Yosemite alot. The only thing he mentioned about his Sierra club buds is some of them like to skinny dip. I don't really care and I'm not a prude. But I also don't want to see some guy walking around my camp with his junk hanging out. I'm thinking of planning to drive my camper into one of the Valley car camps next Summer. And then while my wife and son mind the camp I thought I'd try to get a permit and take a shuttle up to say Glaceir Point and go out overnight. Then hike back to my camper in the Valley. Anyone here ever done that?

#159782 - 01/06/12 09:06 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: wandering_daisy]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
OM- I have yet to be impressed by the "hiking clubs" in Sacramento area that you find on the internet. I was a Sierra Club member for a few years, but they seem to focus on day trips and are more socially oriented (long drives for a short hike with lots of chit chat). If that is your style, then maybe check them out.

My meetup groups are different - while there are tons of people who just dayhike, there are also many who backpack, and are actively looking for other backpackers. The way to increase the pool of backpackers who are compatible with your style is to network on the dayhikes. The entire goal of the meetup I run is to meet other people with similar interests, hiking is secondary. There are many people who have stopped hiking with the meetup so often because they met people to go have fun with off the calendar.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#159783 - 01/06/12 09:16 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: rm56]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I didn't retire - couldn't fly, so no career possibility - did my 3 years (Vietnam ended, a RIF let me out a year early.) But those 3 years were a tremendous first job, and what I learned helped me throughout my life. I'm not sure I've ever completely left it behind.

Group trips require a great deal of compromise, more than a trip with one or two others. (For me, the big compromise is having a campfire. I don't light them myself, partly because they're too much like work and partly because I don't like the smoky smell that gets in everything.) However, if you're lucky, you'll meet one or two people you'll hit it off with - and then I get to take the trips I really enjoy. That's how it worked with me.

#159809 - 01/07/12 06:39 AM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: rm56]
PerryMK Online   content

Originally Posted By rm56
Thanks, concerning "wack jobs" care to elaborate? Have you had any run ins with kooks hiking?

Remarkably, I don't get bothered as much as people I know. My thought is you are talking about hooking up with people you really don't know in remote areas, and that requires caution. I have had unpleasant experiences, but nothing really bad. I'll point out Gary Michael Hilton (google him) targeted hikers and in the past year was convicted of a crime he committed not too far from where I occasionally hike.

I've also had some very positive experiences. See my Christmas hiking miracle in the off topic section. I've met some great people, seen some great things.

By way of analogy, I'm not afraid to cross the street, but I still look both ways.

#159821 - 01/07/12 11:27 AM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: rm56]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By rm56
I'm thinking of planning to drive my camper into one of the Valley car camps next Summer. And then while my wife and son mind the camp I thought I'd try to get a permit and take a shuttle up to say Glaceir Point and go out overnight. Then hike back to my camper in the Valley. Anyone here ever done that?

No, but I can tell you what people have done. Get a permit and ride the tour bus (there is no shuttle) up to Glacier Point, hike the required four miles from the trailhead up Illouette Creek to camp, then hike back down to the Panorama Trail (there is no camping along this trail) and go over to Nevada Falls to rejoin the JMT or Mist Trail back to the valley via Happy Isles.

The camping restrictions around the valley are really specific because so many people do just an overnight that the area would be destroyed without careful management. The only places to camp in that region are very well defined by the rangers. They'll show you on the map. If you do decide to do this, you will need to reserve that permit as soon as you can. The other option is navigating the first come/first serve process (get the permit the day before you want to go) and that's pretty well delineated as well.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#159825 - 01/07/12 12:00 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: lori]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Here's a little tip. The permits for Glacier Point are among the more popular in the park, and they sometimes go fast. (admittedly, if you are staying overnight in the park, you can usually get one by standing in line early...)

But Mono Meadows, which is nearby and actually CLOSER to Illilouette Canyon, almost never fills up. The shuttle stops there as well--it's about five miles before Glacier Point.

If it were me, I would get a Mono Meadows permit, take the shuttle there, and then hike down through Illilouette Canyon through Nevada Falls, and down into the Valley.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#160026 - 01/10/12 12:27 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: balzaccom]
rm56 Offline

Thanks Lori, and Balzaccom.
Balzaccom, I recall you mentioning the Mono Meadows trail before. That sounds like a plan. I emailed Mr. L who works here, he's not planning anything so I'll go solo. I'm planning on reserving a campsite for this Summer in Upper Pines which I believe is close to the Happy Isles trail? I like your idea of Mono Meadows since the permits are more available. You mentioned a tour bus, is that different from the shuttle? Is it easy to get a ticket? Or do I need to reserve a seat on that as well? I've been to Yosemite in the Summer and I know how crowed it gets. Thanks for the help.
Rick

#160029 - 01/10/12 12:44 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: PerryMK]
rm56 Offline

Perry, RE: Gary Hilton
He was in Georgia and they have him. I'm not going to allow one scumbag to scare me away. There was a killer in Yosemite a few years back but they caught him as well. The guy possed as a maintainence man and killed two women visiting from Europe, a real sicko. I'm an Army NCO and have gone solo into serveral wilderness areas. I no greenhorn. I have car camped at Yosemite, just looking to go out for one or two nights and then hike back to my camper. Luckily for me and my family I've met some very nice folks on the trail. Some just want to talk all day LOL. I actually don't mind hiking solo, I leave my itinerary with a friend. But if I meet people on the trail who need help in some way I'm gald to help if I can. I carry a pretty decent emergency kit. And being military I know a little about survival in the boonies. Thanks for the advice and hope I see you guys out there some day.

Rick

Edited by rm56 (01/10/12 12:52 PM)

#160051 - 01/10/12 04:13 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: rm56]
PerryMK Online   content

Not that it matters, but Gary Hilton was in Georgia where he was convicted of a crime there, is now in Florida where he was convicted of a crime here, and may be heading to a trial in NC soon.

I absolutely agree with you on all points. I'm not suggesting anyone be afraid. I've had more positive experiences than negative ones, but I have had negative experiences. I still look both ways before crossing the street.

#160054 - 01/10/12 06:11 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: PerryMK]

Bringing the topic back to the OP...

I think I mentioned the shuttle bus--a system that will take you to Glacier Point and back from the Valley. (there's another one that goes to Tuolumne Mwadows...and maybe one to Wawona?) These shuttles will stop pretty much at any trailhead if you ask.

Not to be confused with the bus system in the Valley--which never leaves the Valley.

Edited by balzaccom (01/10/12 06:11 PM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#160099 - 01/11/12 11:55 AM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: balzaccom]
rm56 Offline

"I mentioned the shuttle bus--a system that will take you to Glacier Point and back from the Valley"

Please provide the exact name of this shuttle service and the contact information. I have not seen a "shuttle" on the Park web site that drives from the Valley up to GP? I've only seen the tour bus service. Thanks

I called Yosemite yesterday, due to no snow they are kind of open in the Valley. I asked about the shuttle, according to the park employee I talked to the shuttle does not go to Glacier Point. The only service up to there is the "Tour" bus that leaves from Yosemite lodge. I called the tour bus info line. Here's another bit of info, the tour bus does not stop at the Mono Meadows trailhead. It goes from the valley up to Glacier Point only. Another gal on the phone said I might be able to ask them a "favor" of stopping near the Mono Meadows trail as a curtesy. That sounds ify at best. I'm saying this to clarify what is fact not speculation which can ruin plans. Some think the "shuttle" goes everywhere. No, it only drives around Yosemite Valley. The only other option is to thumb a ride, not a good idea IMO. Now if you are aware of another service that picks up in the Valley and makes stops at the Mono Meadows trailhead please let me know. Thanks

Edited by rm56 (01/11/12 11:58 AM)

#160121 - 01/11/12 02:53 PM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: rm56]

Sorry--yes, it's the tour bus. I've never heard of a problem with them stopping at Mono Meadows to let off a hiker.

$25 one way---which is all you need

Edited by balzaccom (01/11/12 02:54 PM)

#160197 - 01/12/12 11:29 AM Re: Looking for others to go with? [Re: balzaccom]
rm56 Offline

That sounds like the best way, thanks.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum