Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159301 - 12/27/11 10:14 PM Good deal on Backpacker magazine...
Jackamo Offline

Loc: Central Oregon
Amazon.com has a good deal on Backpacker magazine, as well as a bunch of other magazines, that i may take advantage of. From what i understand, they have subscription quotas, and since its the end of 2011, theyre dropping prices.

Backpacker via Amazon.com

They have it marked at $7 a subscription with auto renewal, which appears to mean its $7 for the first year, then when its time to renew, theyll charge you again at whatever their best rate for that magazine is at the time of renewal. Their terms say you can opt out at any time, so to me that says $7 for a year subscription!

Their terms and conditions for auto renewal subscriptions are listed here:

Auto Renewal T&C

Thought you folks may want to take advantage too!

Edited by Jack L (12/27/11 10:53 PM)

#159303 - 12/27/11 11:44 PM Re: Good deal on Backpacker magazine... [Re: Jackamo]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Be careful.

#159306 - 12/28/11 03:30 AM Re: Good deal on Backpacker magazine... [Re: hikerduane]
Chad from WV Offline

Tempting...you can turn off the auto renew too.

#159308 - 12/28/11 07:09 AM Re: Good deal on Backpacker magazine... [Re: Jackamo]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
That is a really good deal on the price, if you like the magazine.

Personally, I'll pass. The magazine used to (6 or 7 years ago) have really good articles - real articles, that required someone to coherently write, with an actual premise, and logical progression to a conclusion. (My own favorite was one Kristen Hostetter wrote about taking her mother on the mother's first backpacking trip.) However, I did not renew after they went to a "paste a bunch of factoids on two pages - the more pictures and less words, the better - and we'll call that an article" format. I also found their constant cry for "faster, farther, risk your life in exotic spots" to be irrelevant to the recreational (explorational) style I was progressing toward. I'll pick up a copy every 6 months or so, while I'm traveling on business, just to see if it's changed. So far, no such luck.

They had a brand new editor-in-chief who wrote an editorial saying, "Let's all slow down - it isn't always about high mileage days in the life-or-death locales." I wrote to them, complimenting the editorial, and referring to him as the "interim editor." They replied, saying "Oh, he's here for the long term." Three months later, he was gone. smile

Edited by Glenn (12/28/11 08:14 AM)
Edit Reason: Additional thought

#159309 - 12/28/11 07:41 AM Re: Good deal on Backpacker magazine... [Re: Glenn]
lori Offline

The thing about that magazine is, every time they post some route in some park/wilderness, there is a huge surge of interest that shows up on the forums - people flooded the North Rim in Yosemite one year, for example.

I haven't found much of value in it - it's turned into a catalog for gear I mostly won't buy. But I glance at the articles online at their website from time to time. Think if I subscribed I'd get the electronic version.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#159311 - 12/28/11 09:52 AM Re: Good deal on Backpacker magazine... [Re: lori]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
In the past, I've subscribed to Runner's World, Bicycling, Sailing, Skiing magazines. That was all before the internet.

I've found very little truly useful information for backpacking except on forums. (This one included.)

Magazines have to change their opinion every issue as they wouldn't get many sales by recommending the same shoes, tent, etc. in every issue. Innovation doesn't come quick enough to need an update often. (Do I really need shos with toes on them?)

Books are stuck in a time period. They are fun to read, but they miss really good innovations like U.S. cottage manufacturers.

Seldom is gear tested to extinction. Shoes might be comfortable for the first 100 miles, but how long do they last in real conditions? A particular type of stove might be great, but by the time we find out how long it lasts, they don't sell it anymore.

If I want information on good trails, I can read journals on trailjournals or postholer. Or I can simply look at a topo map in my area.

Personally, I'd rather see this forum fed to my Kindle than a magazine whose direction is guided by the advertisers who advertise in the magazine.

#159315 - 12/28/11 11:54 AM Re: Good deal on Backpacker magazine... [Re: Jackamo]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
My local library carries Backpacker magazine. I look at it from time to time, just to see what gives. Not once in the past decade have I put down an issue with the thought that I'd just discovered something worthwhile. frown

Lately I've noticed they've taken their lead from the popularity of Bear Grylls, and now consistently feature tales of survival (or should I say "Harrowing Tales Of Survival!!") in every issue. Just plain pandering, in my opinion.

But, if you like the magazine, that might be a good deal.

#159324 - 12/28/11 03:35 PM Re: Good deal on Backpacker magazine... [Re: aimless]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
Thanks for the heads up on the discount aimless.

I've personally given up on newspapers and magazines altogether. I've found it best to just get out and experience things and to also learn from experienced like minded people, like the folk's on this site and a few others.

#159335 - 12/28/11 08:20 PM Re: Good deal on Backpacker magazine... [Re: aimless]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I will also check out Backpacker in my local library. Interesting casual reading, but rarely anything truly new or informative. Most of my magazine subscriptions have lapsed.

#159336 - 12/28/11 08:39 PM Re: Good deal on Backpacker magazine... [Re: oldranger]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I would not pay for the magazine, and I don't. I get a free subscription from Sierra Trading Post. apparently if you order from them, you get all kinds of magazines. Between my wife and I, we get Outdoor, Backpacker and Climbing.

#159355 - 12/29/11 02:19 PM Re: Good deal on Backpacker magazine... [Re: DTape]
Dave H Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I was going to let my subscription expire but a few months back I found a 3 year renewal for $10 on slickdeals.net so I reupped. I wouldn't spend much on it though.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum