Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159285 - 12/27/11 05:47 PM Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves?
Tye Offline

Loc: Texas
Is there such a thing?

Thanks, Ty

#159286 - 12/27/11 06:32 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: Tye]
lori Offline

What is warm to you? I use silk glove liners, for temps 30-35F. I also have wool and fleece gloves to layer over them when it gets colder.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#159287 - 12/27/11 06:37 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: Tye]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL

#159290 - 12/27/11 07:54 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: lori]
Tye Offline

Lori, yea, sorry, a bit vague I guess. The liner is something I had not thought of. I'll check into that. I've got some leather insulated gloves that are good, yet bulky. Since acquiring some "newer" winter stuff, I am learning that the windproof aspect is very important; at least here in Texas where temp isn't that bad, just the cold wind.

#159291 - 12/27/11 08:04 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: Tye]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Winter cycling gloves and XC skiing gloves are the best options, in my experience. I'd start there.

Cheers,

#159296 - 12/27/11 09:08 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: Rick_D]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Merino/possum wool gloves are light and warm but not all that thin. About the size of a tennis ball for the med size. Around 35g (just over 1 oz.
Warm enogh for me to about 25f. Not abrasion resistant. Warm for me when wet but I also wear them under PTFE mittens.
Franco

#159297 - 12/27/11 09:29 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: Franco]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I do the same thing, Franco - it works great. The Smartwool merino wool liners allow sufficient dexterity (without the mitten shells) to do pretty much everything I need to do, and the mitten shells give me the flexibility to wear thicker down mittens (with or without the liners) on bitterly cold mornings.

#159298 - 12/27/11 09:31 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: Tye]
Dryer Offline

I use really thin..1mm..neoprene diving gloves for kayaking. They are warm even when soaked. Cycling gloves are similar and quite warm.

#159299 - 12/27/11 09:53 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: Dryer]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I always used to use polypro liner gloves, but was given a pair of Smartwool liner gloves for Christmas of 2010. They are thin enough that I can light my stove and perform other functions without taking my gloves off. There's a bonus in that I can grab my pot with them on (not recommended with polypro, which melts).

I have a pair of Mountain Laurel Designs eVent mittens to wear over them when it's raining. I also have a pair of fleece gloves which are big enough that i can wear them over the Smartwool. I plan to get a pair of fleece mittens, though (mittens are warmer). This all means I can wear one, two or three layers on my hands depending on conditions

#159310 - 12/28/11 09:37 AM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: OregonMouse]
Dryer Offline

Good options, Mouse....
But he's in Texas, like me. grin Here, when water isn't involved, I wear cheap rag-wool gloves or mittens from Campmor. Home Depot also sells them in the work glove section. They are very thin and do the job, even wet. If it gets colder, I'll put on snowboarder shells, over the gloves. Colder yet, I like the two layer fleece mittens I made (Beyond Backpacking...Jardine)with the snowboarder shells. Nothing gets through that setup but you won't be lighting stoves with it.
Neoprene paddling gloves are great in water but clammy if you just wore them around camp...they don't breath at all, so I only wear them paddling or diving.

#159334 - 12/28/11 06:48 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: Tye]
Frankendude Offline

If you decide on a neoprene type, look at Glacier Gloves. Served me well in very cool water. Wouldn't be my choice for a comfortable glove unless my hands were being continuously immersed.

I like liners in snowy/windy situations as I can remove the outer glove for delicate tasks and still have some protection. I always used polypro but I'll be checking out that smartwool version.

I'm trying to put together something like a layering system for my hands (because conditions change) but haven't found all the pieces yet.

#159364 - 12/29/11 11:41 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: Frankendude]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
If you actually have to USE your fingers as well as keep them warm, check out some of mitten/gloves at sporting goods stores. I have a pair that are fleece, fingerless gloves...they work great...and then there is an attached mitten that you can pull over all your fingers.

warm and toasty.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#159375 - 12/30/11 09:17 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: Tye]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I've been playing with what is available.

I had a pair of Serius polypro glove liners that I loved, and lost (Shakespere anyone...). They fit into a pocket easily, were thin enough to type with (though too slippy to pick up paper) and were middling wind resistent.

Since I've lost my last pair, I picked up a set of smartwool and a set of Manzella poly liners at Campmor. I can't vouch for either one. After wearing the Manzellas last week, I want my old gloves back.

Steadman

#159637 - 01/04/12 10:31 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: Tye]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Quick thought - have you tried a set of thin leather gloves with a 40 gram thinsulate lining? I just picked up a set of like this from Ocean State job lot, and their fairly warm, block the wind, and are almost as easy to stuff in an overcoat pocket as any of the three types of liners I'm playing around with.

Somehow, I seem to have created a glove collection.

#159640 - 01/04/12 11:35 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: Steadman]
Franco Offline

There is a lot of love for glove layering as I think there should be , same for hats as it is for the rest of the body.
looking at the various suggestions and solutions it is possible that we have started a glove fetish feast.
( I too have had an eye on thin leather gloves. I had a par as teenager )
Franco
BTW, I find it funny how some put a third or fourth torso layer on , yet wear no gloves or warm hat ...

#159709 - 01/05/12 09:10 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: Franco]
NewEnglandHiker Offline

I've had great results from warmstuff distributing. I used their synthetic liner gloves (around $5) under my MLD rain mitts and was toasty warm, along with a nice cheap fleece hat from them. Still look like new after more than 2,500 miles trail carrying them.

#160639 - 01/19/12 05:13 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: NewEnglandHiker]
under10kg Offline

I have this problem of cold hands using trecking poles in the wet. My hands got pretty cold using normal gloves. I now use possum wool gloves I got from New Zealand and a event overmit. I am hoping this will solve my issue with a light weight kit.

#161346 - 01/28/12 12:58 AM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: under10kg]
Tye Offline

It has been some time since I posted the original post. Today, I was at Academy and found that all the winter stuff was 50% off. Gloves also. Got two pair, one heavy and a fleece pair for total of $15. Just a note for you guys near an Academy.

#161881 - 02/09/12 01:13 PM Re: Such a thing as warm, thin, lightweight gloves? [Re: lori]
QiWiz Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
I like the merino ones by Icebreaker.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum