Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158860 - 12/17/11 01:02 PM Pack for SAR
raggs Offline

Loc: Portland
Howdy All,

My son has joined Search & Rescue and I'm looking for recommendations for a good bushwacking pack so he doesnt destroy my UL pack.

He's using my Granite Gear Vapor Trail for the time being but needs something a little more durable for off trail use.
The size of the Vapor Trail is just right to fit all his gear.
SAR recommended an internal frame, but they had no problem using what he has for now.

Any recomendations?

Thanks,

Paul

#158873 - 12/17/11 06:10 PM Re: Pack for SAR [Re: raggs]
lori Offline

See what all the other SAR folk in the team are using.

My SAR team, we have a wide array of packs from Gregory to Osprey to Mountainsmith, to specialized packs that cost a bunch, to former/current Army/Marines who just use their military ruck. I would have him keep using the Granite Gear for now. My pack is a 40 liter Gregory.

What he needs is to keep going to trainings and to start accumulating the recommended gear - do not buy anything extra until he has the gear list in hand to inform your purchase. SAR gear can be very similar to backpacking gear, but there are additional items he will need to carry in addition to the tent/sleeping bag and he will also be going to trainings that will increase the gear needs as he goes along if there is a need for water and alpine rescue in the area....

I would start by getting his measurements at an outfitter, so you know what back/hip belt sizing he needs. Then look at 30-50 liter packs without a lot of mesh and loops on the outside of it. In terms of gear, think in terms of less bulk and less weight - the lightest stuff he can get for the "backpacking and camping" part of it will help him in carrying the mission related junk like ropes, helmet, climbing aids, ice axe....

Also have him ask about pro deals - paraprofessionals like SAR volunteers can get some sweeeeeeeet deals.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#158876 - 12/17/11 07:43 PM Re: Pack for SAR [Re: lori]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
MNS (Andi) has a Cilogear Worksack she mentioned a while back (I checked, my memory isn't that good)- might be one like this-
http://www.cilogear.com/60lws.html

#158887 - 12/18/11 01:06 AM Re: Pack for SAR [Re: raggs]
raggs Offline

Loc: Portland
Lori & Tom, thanks for the replies. Might be an excuse for ME to get a new pack then. (Grin)

I've told him to ask around the group to see what the others are using, he just cant remember the models or didnt write it down. Thats why I asked here.
The pack fits him just fine as he is about my height.
Going off the SAR list of gear I already have the majority of it, as you indicated most of it regular backpacking equipment. The only new gear I bought him were clothes and boots.
He's 15 and enjoys training, and I couldnt be prouder of him for doing it.

Thanks again,

Paul

#158888 - 12/18/11 05:09 AM Re: Pack for SAR [Re: raggs]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Fifteen is a great age to get into SAR. Keep an eye on him; he is going to grow up real fast, like overnight.

Our group would accept trainees at that age, with uniformly excellent results.

#158908 - 12/18/11 06:27 PM Re: Pack for SAR [Re: TomD]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Yes, that is what I have (an older version anyway). It is a very rugged yet light pack that holds an amazing amount and is narrow enough to make bushwhacking not so bad. The torso is adjustable too, so it can easily grow with him. Graham is a proponent of SAR and may still give discounts to SAR team members (I bought mine 5 years ago so I'm not up on his current policies). I found it to be quite comfortable for heavier SAR loads. You should also look at the smaller packs for the 24-hour pack, which is a smaller immediate-response pack with basic survival gear (the big pack is a 72-hour pack with tent etc.).

I'm currently out of SAR since I'm not in AK, but I'm hoping to get back into it in a BIG way once I graduate from school in May 2012.

SAR is an interesting hobby for a 15 year old... that's great he is interested in it... he should be commended!

MNS

#158913 - 12/18/11 06:37 PM Re: Pack for SAR [Re: raggs]
lori Offline

Wow, 15, all the better to get on those pro deals - he's going to need a new pack in no time. Unless you think he's done growing?

What a great age to get in. He'll have a much easier time than late recruits like me.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum