Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153491 - 08/07/11 07:49 PM lightweight tarp?
wyethia Offline

Hi I am looking to make a lightweight tarp- just a 10' x 12' rectangle that I can attach ropes to the corners and sides- will use as a ground cloth or an extra shelter for a cooking area. The kicker is that I need it to be fairly abrasion resistant. I read about cuban, sylnylon, etc., but there is no store in my area that carries such exotic fabrics for me to look at in person. Before ordering something expensive, can anyone advise me on the durability of some of the new light weight fabrics?

#153493 - 08/07/11 09:05 PM Re: lightweight tarp? [Re: wyethia]
lori Offline

If you're going to use it as a ground cloth, get something cheap like the plastic tarps - it'll end up being useless as a rain shelter in a few trips. It would make no sense to spend a bunch of money on cuben and put it on the ground, walk on it, and potentially poke holes in it. While it's fairly durable, it's not going to withstand sharp rocks forever.

I would get a tarp and then get some 2mm painter's drop cloth to use as a groundsheet. Or polycryo, which is the same as the shrink wrap you can add to window panes - not expensive in fairly large rolls from hardware stores, cut to suit your needs. If you have a dedicated ground cloth it doesn't matter if it has a few holes, you can use it longer, and when it's beyond use you can recycle it and cut out a new one.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#153496 - 08/07/11 10:07 PM Re: lightweight tarp? [Re: lori]
wyethia Offline

thanks for the input- sounds like the hi-tech stuff is not what I want then- this is not for my primary shelter, but for extra rain fly, pack cover, mud control etc. 100% rain proof not necessary, but sturdy is. don't really like drop clothes- have tried them, and they don't last a trip in our conditions. Was just hoping to reduce weight using modern materials. Guess I'll save my money, and keep using what I have.

#153533 - 08/08/11 06:46 PM Re: lightweight tarp? [Re: wyethia]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By wyethia
thanks for the input- sounds like the hi-tech stuff is not what I want then- this is not for my primary shelter, but for extra rain fly, pack cover, mud control etc. 100% rain proof not necessary, but sturdy is. don't really like drop clothes- have tried them, and they don't last a trip in our conditions. Was just hoping to reduce weight using modern materials. Guess I'll save my money, and keep using what I have.

I'm not saying they aren't durable. They are just more expensive than I would want them to be to destroy them by using them as a ground cloth. Even heavy plastic tarps eventually get holes in them when you're using them on granite or rocky ground. Much better (to my way of thinking) to just not care about the ground sheet - a dedicated one can get holes in until it's swiss cheese, I just don't want to depend on it to keep the rain off me when it's storming.

#153576 - 08/10/11 10:36 AM Re: lightweight tarp? [Re: lori]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Both posters have good ideas and this can quickly get into HYOH. A possible in-between answer is Tyvek, especially if one can obtain some free. (Which I haven't.) If it is free, when Tyvek gets worn, toss it with little regret. It weighs slightly more than silnylon and is not totally water-proof, but it is highly water-resistant and fairly durable.

CM

#153838 - 08/19/11 11:40 AM Re: lightweight tarp? [Re: CamperMom]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Tyvek is a good choice. Also, Walmart sells a 5X7 tarp that is pretty durable for $12. It looks like Urethane coated 1.9 oz nylon (not ripstop).

#158728 - 12/14/11 01:39 PM Re: lightweight tarp? [Re: wyethia]
Ffej Etaps Offline

Loc: Montreal, QC Canada
I just finished testing a prototype poly tarp (i am guessign 2ml thickness) using LDPE - that's low density polyethylene platic - supported with transparent duct tape. I have been recording the progress of this project and will include a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgC
Uc_aUnb0&list=UUxMuB1uhS6vBN_pFoYpe0Tw&feature=plcp

Here is another prototype test using .35ml High Density Polyethelene (please forgive my spelling). I like the HDPE because of its weight to strength characteristics, but I don't have a source for a .7ml version (without ordering a bulk roll of 400 ft.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BuQ2X-oW10&feature=related

Hope this helps

Cheers

#158734 - 12/14/11 04:18 PM Re: lightweight tarp? [Re: finallyME]
lori Offline

I have a Tyvek tarptent. In sustained rainstorms the bathtub floor becomes a bathtub. I bailed out to a rainproof option (yay for group camping) and torture tested it - Tyvek, once wet, soaks up pounds of water and seeps through like a crazy thing, gallons of water poured out of the floor and the empty tent weighed in the pounds.

Not a great backcountry choice any time but summer - it might withstand a Sierra Nevada afternoon shower, not actual rain.

#158739 - 12/14/11 06:02 PM Re: lightweight tarp? [Re: lori]
Ffej Etaps Offline

Loc: Montreal, QC Canada
Originally Posted By lori
I have a Tyvek tarptent. In sustained rainstorms the bathtub floor becomes a bathtub. I bailed out to a rainproof option (yay for group camping) and torture tested it - Tyvek, once wet, soaks up pounds of water and seeps through like a crazy thing, gallons of water poured out of the floor and the empty tent weighed in the pounds.

Not a great backcountry choice any time but summer - it might withstand a Sierra Nevada afternoon shower, not actual rain.

I knew there was a reason I was avoiding Tyvek. Many thanks for the tip.

#160701 - 01/20/12 01:33 PM Re: lightweight tarp? [Re: Ffej Etaps]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
For the OP, I'd try polycro. It's used for groundcloths a lot and will take more abuse than normal dropcloths that are thicker and heavier. You can find polycro in sizes as big as 7'x10' (patio door window shrink film).
Originally Posted By Ffej Etaps
I just finished testing a prototype poly tarp (i am guessign 2ml thickness) using LDPE - that's low density polyethylene platic - supported with transparent duct tape. I have been recording the progress of this project and will include a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCUc_aUnb0

Here is another prototype test using .35ml High Density Polyethelene (please forgive my spelling). I like the HDPE because of its weight to strength characteristics, but I don't have a source for a .7ml version (without ordering a bulk roll of 400 ft.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BuQ2X-oW10
Your projects look a lot like mine. smile

I'd recommend using shockcord loops on your tieouts to handle wind loading better.

Why did you think it made a difference in the order of how you placed the tape along the stress lines on the HDPE version?

If the HDPE pokes that easily (similar to mylar?), I think I'll stay with LDPE but I'm actually going to make one with polycro also. I think that would work quite well except for being see-thru.

Edited by topshot (01/20/12 01:35 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum