Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157179 - 11/10/11 08:13 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: finallyME]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Those anoraks show up on surplus army gear websites every so often. I guess if you are handy with a sewing machine, you can tailor them to fit right. I might check one out just for grins.

Edited by TomD (11/10/11 08:15 PM)

#157251 - 11/11/11 09:50 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: TomD]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

A cotton anorak is really easy to sew.. that's how I got mine.

Tom, for good winter muks you can't go wrong with the Canadian Forces winter boot - That's what I use. You can find them pretty easy online in surplus sales and ebay. Try to find somewhere that will sell you an extra pair of the liners. I have no doubt the empire canvas stuff would be awseome, but the army muks are cheap and keep me warm. smile This is very different from the US army "mickey mouse" boot - this is a nylon shell mukluk with a rubber footbed. they breathe a bit and work well in deeper snow.

They typically come without a footbed, so to mine I add a plastic "waffle" bed, with an insulating feltbed overtop (keeps bottom of feet warm and not moist)

Browse my pictures

#157261 - 11/12/11 01:50 AM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: phat]
TomD Offline

Thanks Phat. I'm also thinking about Steger Mukluks just for really cold weather, but I might get something else like what you suggest. I want something I can wear with snowshoes.

#157326 - 11/13/11 04:51 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: Heather-ak]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Heather,
Is the tightener the same as my inside elastic straps? If so please help me get the word out about how awesome they are and how any winter bag should have one.
Jim

#157350 - 11/13/11 09:13 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Heather,
and how any winter bag should have one.

Sure. says the little guy and gal.. some of us don't have problems keeping the bag snug smile

Of course my evolutionary ties to the walrus mean I also have a natural insulating layer...

Browse my pictures

#157417 - 11/14/11 06:15 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: Jimshaw]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
It is an inside string - I can't remember if it is elastic or not. I think I would like a baffle too (insulated tube.) Now that I think about it though, as an outer bag the string is better than a baffle. (I put my 40 degree 0 degree bag (my rating vs. their worst case rating) in this bag.)

Way off topic, in another thread a BCF hike was mentioned. It would be very, very cool (pun intended) to have a winter version. Anyone game? With enough notice, I could possibly make it (I'd have to talk the hubby into it, but since Wandering_Daisy wasn't a serial or any kind of killer for that matter, he'd prob. be more confortable this time.)

Thoughts?

#157429 - 11/14/11 07:45 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: Heather-ak]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Heather-ak
In another thread a BCF hike was mentioned. It would be very, very cool (pun intended) to have a winter version. Anyone game? With enough notice, I could possibly make it (I'd have to talk the hubby into it, but since Wandering_Daisy wasn't a serial or any kind of killer for that matter, he'd prob. be more confortable this time.)

Thoughts?

I think it might be neat. but the problem really is that there's winter and there's winter. Assuming an overall low level of talent, we're snowshoeing, and winter on the coast is different from winter where I am. - my kind of winter requires special gear and a somewhat well, perverse outlook on life wink

Personally, while it's a neat thought (and if people really wanna freeze, I'd consider hosting a small party) I'd really rather get people here when they can see more cool stuff (without skiing skills and avalanche concerns)
Browse my pictures

#157432 - 11/14/11 08:26 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: phat]
Heather-ak Offline

Points well taken. I just have a hard time finding winter camping partners - I was considering doing a trip alone this early December, but re-thought it and decided it wasn't a good idea.

I do enjoy winter hiking and camping now that I don't freeze... less mosquitoes and the ground is more soft (aka snow.) So you have me worried about the freezing part.

Other people's thoughts? Phat does have an extrememly good points... (hate to fly anywhere and find out personally I don't have the skills and/or equipment! or get a bad situation with someone else who doesn't)

#157437 - 11/14/11 09:06 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: Heather-ak]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Heather, no matter the season, you could come down here to Kalifornia. There are a number of experienced, allseason bpers I go with, although this last year not so much. I guess about 3 group trips, most about five people, except mtnsteve's Winterfest in late January outside Lassen NVP where over 18 people showed up at one time or another. Most I bp with are down in the valley, close to the bay area or Sacramento. Some are even young like yoself.:)
Duane

#157455 - 11/15/11 08:55 AM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: Heather-ak]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Heather-ak
Points well taken. I just have a hard time finding winter camping partners - I was considering doing a trip alone this early December, but re-thought it and decided it wasn't a good idea.

So do I.. Which is why in winter I'm almost always solo. Most of my friends who will go out in winter are backcountry skiiers, which I'm really not, so I tend to snowshoes and solitude.

Browse my pictures

#157489 - 11/15/11 02:29 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: phat]
TomD Offline

Yosemite is a great place for beginner winter camping. I've been there several times near Badger Pass, once with two other people (Jim Shaw being one) and the other times alone. If you get bored, you can drive down the hill into the Valley and check out the sights or even go shopping. It is good for snowshoeing or backcountry skiing.

#157520 - 11/16/11 12:29 AM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: Heather-ak]
Jimshaw Offline

heather
On one of my early trips it hit 40 below. Its not really fun - yer too scared to sleep. I think if I was you I'd look real hard at snow caves. That is pretty much contrary to my normal avoidance of snowcaves, but in such extreme environments they are pretty darned nice. I think in Alaska you are likely to find the right conditions for snow caves.
Jim smile

#157632 - 11/17/11 05:35 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: Jimshaw]
Heather-ak Offline

Actually, where I am we don't normally get enough snow. I'm trying to remember how much snow we had the end of winter last year - at most three foot.

I've never winter camped solo (plenty of day hiking though.) I'm thinking about baby-stepping it and if it isn't ... freekin cold (warmer than 0F) I think I'll do a car camp at our building lot this December. Worst case at that temp the car will still start without the battery warmer and engine block warmer going.

#157654 - 11/18/11 07:33 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: Heather-ak]
Jimshaw Offline

Heather, Do you live in Town? Can you just camp on the backpoprch to try it out? Theres no shame in coming in after midnight. Lots of little 3 hours test "out back" might help you gain confidence and tune in your gear. Like I'm about to go pitch and nail a cheap tent to my deck. I get a kick out of stopping on the way home from town and visiting friends and crawling into their tents. I like having a tent set up - I was born in the year of the rat ya see... Anyway maybe set up a semipermanent tent outside and experiment at different temps.
Have fun
Jim

#158097 - 12/01/11 12:54 AM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: finallyME]
TomD Offline

Anyone know anything about a Marmot Alba? It is a -10F down bag-looks like this one-
http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/spo/2688995021.html

I'm thinking if I can't find a Puma at a decent price, this might do for me, at least for the Sierra.

#158136 - 12/01/11 03:58 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: Jimshaw]
Heather-ak Offline

I am about 25 miles out of town - have 5 acres where I live now. I am going to pitch our big car camp tent out there soonish. I have winter camped before (even taken a class) but never alone. I'm not real sure I can talk the husband into letting me winter camp alone anyways - the line (surviving something vs. not) is so much thinner in the winter here. I am working on ideas for getting the hubby to come along with - i.e. hot tenting.

(I had to go check what Chinese year I was born: Year of the Rabbit are romantic, talented, and successful. hahahahaha! I wish.)

#158241 - 12/03/11 04:41 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: Heather-ak]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
"hot tenting" with your spouse sure sounds romantic grin

"You want to go where?"

#158493 - 12/08/11 07:38 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: billstephenson]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Does hot tenting involve swapping the tent for some , less comfortable, place (like "hot racking") or putting a stove in the tent? The latter might be more enticing than the former.

#158496 - 12/08/11 08:06 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: Steadman]
TomD Offline

Everything you want to know about hot tenting-
www.wintertrekking.com

These are pretty much the gold standard for hot tents from all the praise for them I have read-
http://www.snowtrekkertents.com/

This company makes a lightweight hot tent-
www.titaniumgoat.com

Edited by TomD (12/08/11 08:11 PM)

#158569 - 12/10/11 01:53 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: TomD]
billstephenson Offline

I don't understand why they aren't getting the fresh air intake for the stove from outside of the tent.

They way they have those set up the fresh air is drawn from inside the tent, which means the tent is always sucking in cold air from the outside causing cold drafts and then sucking the air that is heated inside into the stove and blowing it out the exhaust pipe.

"You want to go where?"

#158571 - 12/10/11 02:15 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: billstephenson]
TomD Offline

I believe the answer is that they want fresh air to avoid any carbon monoxide problem, plus rigging up some kind of vent would be cumbersome. I don't think the amount of air being drawn in is all that much. Plus, don't forget, the stove itself is hot so it acts like a radiator, not like a forced air heater.

Edited by TomD (12/10/11 02:17 PM)

#158575 - 12/10/11 03:14 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: TomD]
billstephenson Offline

Well, this article disputes what I've said pretty well:

http://woodheat.org/the-outdoor-air-myth-exposed.html

I have some doubts about their conclusions and concerns based on the implementations that they studied, and especially as they pertain to tents, but after considering those doubts I have to conclude that it may not make a spits worth of difference either way as far as heat efficiency goes. However, the outside intake might be of value if there ever were an issue with wind and reverse pressurization.

"You want to go where?"

#158576 - 12/10/11 05:37 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: billstephenson]
TomD Offline

I don't recall this being discussed on wintertrekking, but I don't follow all the stove discussions that closely. Here are two articles on hot tenting on the site-
http://wintertrekking.com/equipment/hot-tenting/
http://wintertrekking.com/safety/hot-tents/

Edited by TomD (12/10/11 05:39 PM)

#158590 - 12/11/11 06:05 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: TomD]
billstephenson Offline

I read those (quickly), and I still think a closed system might be more efficient, but it would not be as simple.

In any case, I'd try it their way first wink

It looks like it'd be pretty nice for car camping around here. I wonder how well charcoal would work in those stoves?

"You want to go where?"

#158599 - 12/11/11 08:47 PM Re: Winter bag choice [Re: billstephenson]
TomD Offline

I don't think they use charcoal for two reasons-they would have to haul it in and wood is plentiful in the boreal forest and concerns about any gases charcoal might give off when it burns. I looked on the site, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum.com