Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157508 - 11/15/11 09:25 PM lightweight sleeping bag suggestions
bermuda ern Offline

Loc: Maryland
I'm looking into getting a new sleeping bag and I am on somewhat of a budget, like under $200. My trusty old slumberjack 30degree I've had since I was 9 needs to retire to the back-up position. I am looking for something lightweight, packs pretty small and in the 20 degree range.

I saw a few decent reviews for the Kelty Cosmic Down +20, and it seems like a great bag for the price. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

#157510 - 11/15/11 09:46 PM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: bermuda ern]
lori Offline

What is your priority? you get to pick two of three characteristics - light, warm, cheap.

For the lightest, most long lived, and most compressible bag for the rating you want - 800 or 900 fp down is the way to go. Unless you are hiking for weeks in 90-100% humidity.

For the compromise, a lower quality down bag will be heavier and pack not quite so small, but will be cheaper. There's a Campmor 0 degree that's probably 10-20 degrees warm - the 20 degree Campmor down bag is probably a 30 degree bag in practice. The Kelty Cosmic you mention is similar. 600 fp down has more feathers than the more expensive bags.

Synthetics will be bulkier for the rating, and wear out in a few years of frequent use. There are places and reasons to have a synthetic bag - folks often prefer them for winter.

I am ultra-cheap, so rather than replacing the bag every few years, I sprang for a 800 fp down quilt. It weighs less than a bag and has no chance of a zipper jam, and has been great down to the expected mid-20F range. For $250 it was a steal. I anticipate years of use out of it.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#157518 - 11/16/11 12:00 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: lori]
Tye Offline

Loc: Texas
I just got a Kelty Cosmic 20 degree down bag. You can get them for between $80 - $100 online. They are an economic duck down bag. The reviews are really good. I have never had a down bag of any kind; when I got mine in, I took it out of the bag and seriously thought "this is a joke." I shook it a good bit for loft and let it sit for a few minutes. It lofted up good and I climbed in for a few minutes and came out nearly sweating. Weighs in at @ 2lbs, 10oz. depending upon size.

#157525 - 11/16/11 09:01 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: bermuda ern]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
REI outlet doesn't have any down bags on sale right now - they probably will in the spring. I got an REI Mojave bag that way, and am somewhat satisfied with it.

Campmor has several bags in the under $200 range. The Marmot Sawtooth would be a top choice for me if I wanted a new bag in that price range based on its reviews - I have no personal experience with it.

If you are a more normal hight (fit into a regular bag) swing by Dicks and see if they still have the Marmot 15 degree down bags. I almost bought one, but I was 2 inches too tall for the bag - they were cheap, nice bags.

None of these suggestions are nearly as nice as what Lori is suggesting. You get what you pay for.

#157529 - 11/16/11 10:01 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: Tye]
lori Offline

There's this thing when you get your first down bag/quilt ever that makes you look at them like, no way. Not enough fill in that to keep me warm at home.

You should have seen the 800 fp quilt when I pulled it out of the 7 x 7 box it arrived in, and the look on my face. Noooooo way is that keeping me warm to 20F. Yet I shook ice off it in November, after staying warm all night as ice formed on the lake.

You just don't go back to cheap down after that.

#157530 - 11/16/11 10:12 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: lori]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
A really good down bag is one item worth digging down deep and spending for. It will last for years, with decent care and give you a fantastic return on investment with many comfortable nights. There are many ways to save money and cut corners on other key items in backpacking gear, but this doesn't apply to sleeping bags. Make your two choices light and warm, and the cash you shell out will be a good investment.

#157535 - 11/16/11 11:06 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: lori]
bermuda ern Offline

Thank you for all the help! I am also now looking into sewing my own down bag/quilt. I am no seamstress but I think I can pull it off. I have never used a quilt before though. Can anyone explain the differences/advantages of the two?

#157536 - 11/16/11 11:15 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: bermuda ern]
lori Offline

Making your own down item is an experience! I suggest googling for tips on working with down. It's not easy.

Quilts are like sleeping bags, minus the zipper and hood. Most will have a sewn in footbox, some allow you to open the quilt flat. I prefer the latter. Jacks R Better and many other cottage gear quiltmakers do quality work. LeighLo does hybrid down/synthetic quilts, others have synthetic models as well as down.

#157537 - 11/16/11 11:20 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: lori]
bermuda ern Offline

Thanks a lot.

I've been lurking here a while and always enjoy the wealth of information provided on this site. I also really like your blog lori, I've been checking it out for a while now.

#157538 - 11/16/11 11:21 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: bermuda ern]
ohmatt Offline

Loc: Ohio
Sierra Trading post got in the Vaude Ice Peak 150 35 degree rated 650 FP down bag that got a Backpacker Review Vaude Ice Peak 150 2010 Backpacker Magazine editor's choice.
http://www.backpacker.com/gear-guide-apr...-bag/gear/13913

Seeing the bag's wonderful 18 ounce weight, I almost pulled the trigger with a 40% off $150 coupon yesterday, but then noticed in reviews that it is a snug fig for bigger folks. At 225 lbs, I suspect it would be too snug for me.

This bag doesn't quite meet your 20 degree requirement, but if you are on STP's email list for their coupons, you can pick up the bag for around $100 or less and have a lot of money left from your budget to add a vapor barrier/liner for colder weather.

-Matt-

#157540 - 11/16/11 11:48 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: ohmatt]
lori Offline

Vapor barriers aren't for above-zero temps, I think. Check out the Stephenson's Warmlite page and Mark Verber's page for some further info on vapor barriers.

#157542 - 11/16/11 12:12 PM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: lori]
bermuda ern Offline

I've always just kept a space blanket as back-up warmth but have rarely needed to use it. It worked just fine for me, and they are dirt cheap so you can always use it to fashion a bag or clothing of some sort if need be.

#157544 - 11/16/11 12:32 PM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: bermuda ern]
lori Offline

Vapor barriers for sleeping bags are a separate thing - in very cold temps, you don't want your own moisture (you give off about 12 - 14 oz of moisture from your skin, excluding sweat) to get into the insulation. I have an underquilt with a mylar liner for subzero temps.

Emergency bags are just that, for emergencies, because you will be anything but comfortable with them. You'll survive, but sleeping in one is ... well, I'd have to be completely exhausted to manage it.

#157549 - 11/16/11 01:47 PM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: lori]
bermuda ern Offline

I wouldn't want to sleep in one by itself, although I have on a few occasions. I would wrap myself in it and get in my bag. I tended to overheat and had to take most clothes off that that point to prevent sweating but it worked fine. I folded it back up twice and still haven't needed to get a new one.

#157576 - 11/16/11 07:51 PM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: ohmatt]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
I won the ice peak from STP and next week I'll be able to give a review of size, etc.

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#157614 - 11/17/11 09:23 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: Paulo]
ohmatt Offline

Originally Posted By Paulo
I won the ice peak from STP and next week I'll be able to give a review of size, etc.

Nice Win! Will be watching for the review..

#157748 - 11/22/11 01:58 PM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: ohmatt]
bermuda ern Offline

Thanks for the help everyone. After much debate I went with a Marmot Sawtooth 15F. It was marked down a good bit at REI to $159, making it a great choice for my price range.

Any criticism or feedback on the Sawtooth would be welcome though.

#159090 - 12/22/11 06:12 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: bermuda ern]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I've been researching sleeping bags for months now and have narrowed it down to one choice, I think. Here are my criteria:

1. Must be made in USA. (All new gear I get will be made in the USA if possible.)

2. Down

3. Lightweight

4. 20 degree rating

I've narrowed it down to the Western Mountaineering Ultra-light.

Any comments?

Edited by Gershon (12/22/11 06:17 AM)

#159091 - 12/22/11 06:42 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: Gershon]
PappyBanjo Offline

Why did you choose down over synthetic? I've been thinking about getting a new bag, but haven't done any research yet.

#159093 - 12/22/11 07:05 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: PappyBanjo]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Down is warmer, compresses more and weighs less. To me a synthetic bag feels like my body warms it. Down feels like an electric blanket. I became convinced when I picked up a down comforter at the thrift store that is real warm.

(Choosing Western Mountaineering is mostly from what Lori has said.)

Edited by Gershon (12/22/11 07:06 AM)

#159094 - 12/22/11 07:40 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: Gershon]
Glenn Offline

I sure can't fault your research! I have the Alpinlite (the wide version of the Ultralite), and have been delighted with it for two years now. I have two friends who got the Alpinlite on my recommendation, and after their first trip into 20 degree temps a couple of weeks ago, they're equally delighted. Another buddy has the Ultralight, and he has nothing but good to say about it.

The full down collar (front and back) is one of my favorite features. The two sets of cords (one controls the collar, the other controls the hood area) sometimes are confusing inside the bag in the dark, but one is flat cord and the other is round, so you figure it out pretty quick.

#159095 - 12/22/11 07:43 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: PappyBanjo]
lori Offline

Synthetic is heavy, wears out in a few years of usage (compressing it breaks down the fibers over time), and doesn't compress as well. Down lasts for decades when cared for properly, compresses well, higher fill power compresses better than lower fp and is warmer (given the same weight of the fill). There are times a synthetic makes more sense but since wet synthetic is a miserable thing (it stays more dry only if you are thinking in terms of what will work better in a very humid environment, dunk both kinds in water and they will be wet and cold) despite the hype...

I am too cheap and go out too often to do anything but down. Spend once, live warm.

#159103 - 12/22/11 11:56 AM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: Gershon]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I've carried that exact bag (WM Ultralite) on a lot of trips and have slept a lot of nights in it, perhaps 200 nights overall, and it's a wonderful bag. I've just recently sent mine back to WM to get refilled, and overstuffed in fact a bit. Not that it isn't durable; I think that's a reasonable thing to have to do to any down bag after 4000 miles or so of use.

I've used it down into the teens with puffy clothes inside to beef up the overall temp rating. I've slept with it many a night fully unzipped in sort of "comforter" mode.

I'm not saying that it's the only good choice (!), but it certainly is a fine choice.

The one thing that I suggest w.r.t. down bags is to consider getting one of those "ultralight" dry bags, and size it up. I.e., get a light dry bag that's a bit bigger than needed for your sleeping bag (just look at the stated volume in cc or liters for the provided stuff sack and increase that some). Doing this allows me to compact the bag a bit less when my backpack isn't filled to the brim, yet with the dry bag approach I can just roll it further down to decrease the volume at need.

#159106 - 12/22/11 12:46 PM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: Gershon]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
No matter what the insulation, you have to keep it dry! A soggy synthetic bag is no warmer than a soggy down bag (been there, done that, posted the story here several times, as those of you who've been around here longer know).

With a down bag you do have to be a bit more careful protecting the insulation from your body moisture and from condensation inside your shelter or bivy. Especially when it gets below freezing, your body moisture may condense or even freeze on the inside of the outer shell, which means the moisture will be in the down. That's where a vapor barrier comes in handy. Just don't wear anything more than a base layer inside the vapor barrier--your puffy jacket, etc., needs to be outside.

Re the Western Mountaineering Ultralite--I have one and love it! I especially love the draft collar, which I can snug up around my neck while leaving the hood a little more open for ventilation. However, the Ultralite is a pretty narrow bag. Check the girth measurements of the bag (on the WM website) against your own (measure shoulder girth over your arms and with your insulating jacket on). It may be that you'll need the wider version of the 20* bag, the Alpinelite. While you don't want a lot of dead air space to warm up inside the bag, you do want to be able to wear all your insulation inside the bag without compressing the down!

Edited by OregonMouse (12/22/11 12:47 PM)

#159110 - 12/22/11 01:03 PM Re: lightweight sleeping bag suggestions [Re: Gershon]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Well I admire you for your number 1 criteria.

I read up a lot on down bags over the past few weeks and it seems that the Western Mountaineering bags were consistently what everything else was compared to. The "Gold Standard" if you will.

If you can swing it, I don't see how you can do any better. I sure want to hear what you think about whatever you get though.

"You want to go where?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum