Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156558 - 11/01/11 12:37 PM Re: solo canoeing [Re: alanwenker]
ppine Offline

Loc: Minden, Nevada
Fellow paddleheads,

Great to hear from people who know canoes. The debate about solo paddling styles has raged for centuries. In Maine, the most extreme style has emerged where some people paddle on the same side of the boat for their whole careers, not just for 10 minutes at a time. It seems excessive, but it surely helps with technique.

I have paddled solo with other boats many times, but have yet to try an overnight trip alone. The C stroke has worked well, but the boat needs to be trimmed by moving the dunnage, self, and dogs around. Weight forward in a headwind, weight, aft in following wind. Kayak paddles work, but do not feel right. They can provide impulsion to keep up with tandem paddlers.

In traditional boats, turning the boat around and paddling from the bow seat has been the accepted standard method. Many new canoes however, are asymmetrical and much slower paddled backwards. Please keep up the lively discussion.

#156583 - 11/01/11 08:02 PM Re: solo canoeing [Re: ppine]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
ppine,

Interesting the extreme style you mention... paddling only on one side. I am most comfortable paddling on my left. In fact, it is so preferable, I will paddle on that side for all but the rare occurrence if/when the circumstance requires it.

I learned technique over years of paddling. The basics from my father, the rest from experience and experiments. I remember reading about specific strokes and I didn't know what the person was talking about, but when the stroke was described (or shown) I realized it was one I have been using for years. I just didn't know it had a name!

As far as solo tripping, there is a dedicated forum just for it... solotripping.com All about solo canoe tripping.

#156635 - 11/02/11 12:54 PM Re: solo canoeing [Re: DTape]
ppine Offline

Dtape,

Most of the good paddling technique we read about in books, Canadian stroke, J stroke, Minn swithc, etc. has all evolved from people who live in canoes.

A great story comes to mind when a couple of Candaians decided to paddle across Canada back in the 1980s. They built a 20 foot expedition stripper tripper and had paddled for several months when they showed at the big race in Flim Flam, Manitoba. They took off with lots of confidence, but disappeared in the wakes of people who have spent their whole lives in canoes. The only way to get good in a canoe, is to paddle one for thousands of hours.

Edited by ppine (11/02/11 12:55 PM)

#156722 - 11/03/11 07:03 PM Re: solo canoeing [Re: ppine]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I've seen exposition Canadian Stroke where the person sat on one gunwale so that it had maybe a inch of freeboard and was radically tilted. This creates a very tiny and short footprint on the water and allows the boat to do things like a 360 degree turn without pulling your paddle out of the water. Its hard and you can get wet practicing, but its pretty much just for show like most skulling.

I figured when I could paddle a solo canoe fast, straight and with an aggressive rythmic stroke for a mile or so, then I could claim to have mastery over it. After mastering the solo canoe and C stroke I began using only a perfectly straight stroke, but I rotate the blade in my hands, as the paddle moves through the water, to simulate the thrust dynamics of a "J" or "C" or anyother stroke... A symetrical wood paddle with about half an inch of thickness has the correct "lift" for flying through water, thin plastic blades have no Lift.
Jim

#156765 - 11/04/11 12:29 PM Re: solo canoeing [Re: Jimshaw]
ppine Offline

You are describing freestyle canoeing which is really interesting and a great to improve ones own skills. I think your solo technique can be described as a Canadian stroke.

#156786 - 11/04/11 04:55 PM Re: solo canoeing [Re: Jimshaw]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
After mastering the solo canoe and C stroke I began using only a perfectly straight stroke, but I rotate the blade in my hands, as the paddle moves through the water

I was taught that by a local outfitter. After many trips with my wife, where I struggled to keep the boat straight by changing sides with my paddle, he came cruising by me one day with his wife in the front on the boat sitting there like Queen Nefertiti just enjoying the view and him casually paddling on one side of the boat and keeping it straight as an arrow, and turning where he wanted to go, I asked him how he did it. He gave two great pieces of advice:

"Tell your wife to keep her paddle in the boat." and "Learn to twist the paddle at the end of your stroke to steer the boat".

The really hard part was (and still is) getting that first piece of advice to work. laugh

"You want to go where?"

#156787 - 11/04/11 05:12 PM Re: solo canoeing [Re: billstephenson]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
That story brought me a smile Bill.

#156812 - 11/04/11 10:51 PM Re: solo canoeing [Re: billstephenson]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I always told my wife that if she turned around and rode topless I'd do the paddling. grinI guess years of experience paddling two people in a small canoe put a little power into my stroke - and I reach deep too... I mean I like long paddles. smile

With all do respect even a weak bow paddler is a great help if you are an accomplished sternman, and her (his) added power is always nice going into a wind. You simply rotate your paddle to balance the combined forces of wind, wave, bow paddler and the thrust of your own paddle. As long as the bow person pulls pretty much straight back it works.

An aside - we took out our 16 footer which is pretty heavy and beamy and took a friend on her first canoe ride. She nearly swamped us right out of the shore. I wouldn't let her paddle and my wife and I were both on extreme balance mode just to stay upright in the water. I stayed really close to the shore so we could walk it if we flipped, and after about ten minutes she got enough canoe balance that we paddled out into the lake and she even paddled a bit.

I had a canoe sink right out from under me in class 4 water, and it was crushed by a sweeper log, while I lept and practiced walking (running) on water to the shore... crazy Other than that I've never swamped a canoe, but once I was in it when my wife decided to step on the gunwal as she got out.
Jim smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum