Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156580 - 11/01/11 06:34 PM Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket?
Erog Offline

I have a dilemma that I'm hoping you guys can help out with.

I have recently become a father - I love carrying my son around in his ergo, but as fall rolls around it's starting to get colder. The problem is that every sweater or warm midlayer I have contains a zipper. When I carry the kid, he naps on my chest - resulting in what I call "Zipper Face". Not such a great look to have a zipper imprinted on your cheek.

So I've searched through all the gear websites, Marmot, North Face, Arcteryx, smartwool, etc., but it's been impossible to find a warm layer that doesn't come with either full zip, 1/2 zip, or 1/4 zip.

My current options are:
- Carry him in the back: sucks because I don't see his adorable face.
- Buy a super - sized jacket that can wrap around both of us: Not a long term solution because he might grow out of it.
- Be cold: (current option)

So - does anyone know of a good sweater (fleece or merino) that doesn't have that zipper?

Thanks in advance

#156581 - 11/01/11 06:55 PM Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? [Re: Erog]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Melanzana has a good selection of hoodies. I very much prefer pullover coats, but they are getting hard to find.

http://melanzana.com/

#156587 - 11/01/11 09:15 PM Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? [Re: Erog]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Is a midweight wool layer, perhaps worn over a T-shirt, warm enough? If so, Smartwool makes a long sleeve, midweight crew:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/pr...08_10000001_-1_

I wear Smartwool microweight (lightweight?) T shirt under the half-zip version of the above, and it's warm while hiking down to about 40 or 45 degrees (depends on wind.)

#156592 - 11/01/11 09:47 PM Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? [Re: ringtail]
Erog Offline

Thanks for the suggestion ringtail, the windproof hoodie looks like a good choice.

Have you had personal experience with it? How about their customer service/return policy?

Glenn - that's what I primarily use today, I double up on colder days, and just bear it if it gets windy.

Edited by Erog (11/01/11 09:49 PM)

#156607 - 11/01/11 11:09 PM Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? [Re: Erog]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Erog

So - does anyone know of a good sweater (fleece or merino) that doesn't have that zipper?

.. I got lots of good wool sweaters without I just don't get them from big box manufacturers. I've gotten mine at thrift stores, eddie bauer, farmers markets, wool shops in ireland, men's dress clothing stores

I sort of take great delight in having a "accident" with cashemere/merino dress sweaters. "oh darn dear it has a little hole - I'll just sew it up and use it for backpacking"..
Browse my pictures

#156614 - 11/02/11 12:55 AM Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? [Re: phat]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I vote for a pullover alpaca sweater...and something larger around you both.

And we want photos.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#156616 - 11/02/11 04:35 AM Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? [Re: balzaccom]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Ha! "Zipper face" made me giggle..
Why don't you simply wear a wool/fleece scarf? It's soft and cosy for littleone's face, and can prove useful with small "accidents"...

#156618 - 11/02/11 08:47 AM Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? [Re: frenchie]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Try putting a burp cloth between you and he. It'll save your clothes, and it is a good, temporary solution to a problem that you and he will grow out of. As he gets longer, you'll find that his head starts to push into your chin... which is cute, until he starts to do the woodpecker manuever with his head into your face (tears all around). This will drive alternate carrying solutions.

#156698 - 11/03/11 03:06 PM Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? [Re: Steadman]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Steadman
Try putting a burp cloth between you and he. It'll save your clothes, and it is a good, temporary solution to a problem that you and he will grow out of. As he gets longer, you'll find that his head starts to push into your chin... which is cute, until he starts to do the woodpecker manuever with his head into your face (tears all around). This will drive alternate carrying solutions.

Steadman is right on. It also won't be long when he won't want to be facing you, but facing out. This usually happens when their neck is strong enough to support their head. And, by the time they can sit up, then you want to carry them on your back because they are so freakin' heavy. smile

Edited by finallyME (11/03/11 03:06 PM)

#156704 - 11/03/11 04:13 PM Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? [Re: finallyME]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Mine are long and skinny, but I still ran into that same leverage issue by about by 6 months of age. After that, they generally carried better on the back due to weight unless I loaded up a backpack to counterbalance them. Shedding heat also became an issue with a baby on my stomach and a daypack on my back.

The Ergo carrier is a COOL carrier, by the way - my wife likes it way better than the massive Kelty backpack I use when I'm hiking, and I'm coming around to her way of thinking.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum