Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156142 - 10/20/11 03:06 PM ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points?
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Anybody not like the ThermaRest NeoAir? Based on Glenn's feedback, I'm tempted to return my (new) BA Insulated AirCore and save myself 21 ounces. I'll try it out in store first, but I want to know what potential dealbreakers I should be looking for.

#156146 - 10/20/11 03:24 PM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: Steadman]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I have the short one, and I dont have any complaints out of it. I've read about people having problems with them being loud if you move around, but I haven't noticed any issue like that. I've only used it a few times, but so far I dont see any downsides. All my experience with air mattresses before my neoair had been with the cheap pool float type. As we all know, you can almost never get ALL the air out of those. The neoair is nothing like those, and deflates very easily.

I was going to point you in the direction of the the "sleeping cold in my WM ultralite" thread, but I see you've already posted there. I really dont have any experience in the colder weather with the pad, so I can't really say anything on that topic.

#156152 - 10/20/11 03:42 PM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: james__12345]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I got one two years ago and returned it, extremely disgusted. (If you insist on buying one, get it from REI!)

(1) I could not get comfortable on the thing. No matter how hard I tried (and I tried for 4 months!), I could not find the sweet spot between having my hip bone on the ground and having the pad too hard.

(2) The horizontal tubes meant that I was forever rolling off the thing.

(3) While the pad is theoretically rated at 32*F, I started getting cold at 40*F. To get it down to the mid 20's F you'll need at least a Thermarest Ridge Rest on top of it, which means that any weight saving has gone out the window.

For a similar price and weight, I now have a custom Climashield insulated (to R5) air pad, mummy style, (60" x 20" x 3.5") pad from KookaBay. 12.8 oz. and $150. The custom insulated pads are not shown on the KookaBay website; you'll have to email Bender, the owner, directly. There's a contact form on the website.

#156154 - 10/20/11 03:55 PM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: Steadman]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Well, thanks to the generosity of Glenn, I can let you know what I think pretty soon smile

I did give it a test on the floor last night for a bit. I found it pretty comfy. I'll know better in a night or two when I get a chance to use it outside.

I'll also be testing a piece of single layer bubble foil on top of it to see if it adds any extra warmth. The bubble foil is 22.5" x 65" and weighs about 5oz.

"You want to go where?"

#156156 - 10/20/11 04:42 PM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: Steadman]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I have three seasons in with my short edition NeoAir. Biggest trick is not overinflating it--it requires less air than a traditional mattress with lengthwise tubes, or a self-inflator.

Every time I pack the tiny thing, I crack up at how little pack space it requires.

I've used it down to the low-20s so far and have been fine. With all that said, mattress comfort and temperature range are a very personal thing. If you sleep cold, I'd look at the new 4-season NeoAir.

Cheers,

#156160 - 10/20/11 06:17 PM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: Rick_D]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We're huge fans. Never used it in really cold weather, but I got one for my wife because her zrest wasn't quite enough.

She fell in love with it.

I tried hers one afternoon for nap, came home and immediately bought one for myself. We won't use anything else.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#156169 - 10/20/11 07:43 PM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: james__12345]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Only down side is people not wanting to spend the $$$ for one. I slept next to a guy a few years ago who had a new BA and I was using my NeoAir for the second night I believe, his was quite noisy. I do not notice any noise, whatever noise it had went away in a short amount of time. You may find some used ones on Backpacking Light in the appropriate forum there. A few are cropping up now, I imagine they are wanting the next latest and greatest. I've used my short on dry, sand into the single digits with a 15F degree bag. On cold or frozen ground you would need at least another pad if not a winter type mattress altogether.
Duane

#156176 - 10/20/11 09:29 PM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: Steadman]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have a NeoAir and really like it; I prefer the short (48") model and put my empty pack under my lower legs. Having tried both the NeoAir and BA Insulated Air Core at colder temps (down to around 30), I found the the NeoAir could go about 10 degrees colder than the BA IAC before I'd start losing heat through it. I also found the crosswise baffles of the NeoAir are more comfortable (for me) than the lengthwise baffles of the IAC.

But, if you are comfortable on the IAC, I wouldn't be in any hurry to replace it if you have other changes that would produce better weight savings for the same expenditure. You would just need to be aware of the temperature limits, and add a closed-cell pad to the BA IAC below those limits.

If you do decide to go for the NeoAir, take a look at the "all-season" model - the R factor is about double the regular NeoAir (and the BA IAC), and I think it's still a few ounces lighter than the IAC. Then your decision between regular and all-season models comes down to the question: "how often will I be camping below 30 degrees?" If the answer is "only once or maybe twice a year" then I'd go with the regular and add a closed cell pad if needed.

#156184 - 10/21/11 09:05 AM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: Glenn]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Glenn

That's what grabbed me here. I can save 15 ounces for the additional investment of about $80 if I return my brand new Big Agnes Insulated Air Core to REI. However, they only seem to carry the regular NeoAir - it only has an R value of 2.5, compared to 4.1 for the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core or 4.9 for the All Season NeoAir. Comparatively, I can save a pound on a tent for about $200, or about 5 lbs on a pack for about $200. Really, it's an opportunity to not get stuck in a sunk cost on the Insulated Air Core.

Thanks for all the help...
Steadman

#156187 - 10/21/11 09:58 AM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: Steadman]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Can they special-order the all-season NeoAir? My local outfitter (not a chain like REI) doesn't routinely stock the Neoair line because the bulk of their customers opt for the less expensive Thermarest self-inflater line. However, they very willingly special-ordered my regular Neoair a couple years ago, and an All-season a couple months ago. They combined it with a routine order, so there was no shipping.

#156188 - 10/21/11 11:17 AM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: Steadman]
lori Offline

I've had temps dip into the 20s and been fine on the regular NeoAir. Adding a ccf to it would take it lower.

I've hiked with people who've had BAIC pads so noisy you could hear them across the camp - set us all to giggling about it every time one poor lady rolled over. The vertical baffles aren't comfortable for me. I prefer a flat pad.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#156193 - 10/21/11 01:56 PM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: Steadman]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
They're quite new and it might be they can't yet supply the volume REI requires. BackcountryGear lists them as available, so they're at least out. No way to test in-store, though (unless you live in Eugene).

I'm dubious about the BA insulate Air Core being nearly R-5. Mine doesn't seem any warmer than the standard NeoAir, and is not as comfortable.

p.s. How is it the regular is six inches longer than the medium--same width--and weighs a scant one ounce more? Seems unpossible.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By Steadman
Glenn

That's what grabbed me here. I can save 15 ounces for the additional investment of about $80 if I return my brand new Big Agnes Insulated Air Core to REI. However, they only seem to carry the regular NeoAir - it only has an R value of 2.5, compared to 4.1 for the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core or 4.9 for the All Season NeoAir. Comparatively, I can save a pound on a tent for about $200, or about 5 lbs on a pack for about $200. Really, it's an opportunity to not get stuck in a sunk cost on the Insulated Air Core.

Thanks for all the help...
Steadman

Edited by Rick_D (10/21/11 02:01 PM)

#156270 - 10/24/11 02:34 PM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: Steadman]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I have two a regular and a short they were both gifts to me and I adore them as they have changed the way i sleep in the backcountry. My only complaint is that I just recently found that despite using the utmost precaution while using these pads my regular has developed a slow leak which on my last trip left me reinflating pretty much every 2.5 hours. Upon returning home I found the leak is in the seam where the top and bottom layers are welded together. Not quite sure how to go about repair yet as returning pad is not an option.

#156273 - 10/24/11 04:41 PM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: Samoset]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Samoset,

Send the pad directly to Cascades Designs. They will replace the pad. I sent them a platypus on October 14 and got the replacement today.

You might want to mark the leak.

#156279 - 10/24/11 09:44 PM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: ringtail]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Although I can't stand the NeoAir, I will say that MSR/Cascade Designs has outstanding service. If the leak is at the seam, that's a defect, and they will replace your pad!

#156310 - 10/25/11 08:20 PM Re: ThermaRest NeoAir - bad points? [Re: OregonMouse]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Although I can't stand the NeoAir, I will say that MSR/Cascade Designs has outstanding service. If the leak is at the seam, that's a defect, and they will replace your pad!

Originally Posted By ringtail
Samoset,

Send the pad directly to Cascades Designs. They will replace the pad. I sent them a platypus on October 14 and got the replacement today.

You might want to mark the leak.

Thanks I sent cascade designs an email concerning the pad yesterday. And I got a responce this morning. To send pad in for warrenty inspection if they find its due to defect they will repair or replace the pad. Otherwise they charge twenty bucks to patch the pad. I will update post pending results.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum