Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155907 - 10/16/11 07:02 PM Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ???
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
I feel like I just took two steps backwards are far as being prepared for the elements. I have to admit ahead of time, I kinda rushed into this last minute hike.
Last Thursday I hiked up to Chickenfoot Lake in the Little Lakes Valley for just a couple days. According to a few backpackers I met going in, the temps were 30 degree's the night before and a little colder the previous night. It was only a 5 mile hike but at 10700', I was really burned out for the rest of the day. I ended up reluctantly going to bed around 6 pm and didn't sleep well at all. Woke up cold, put on all my cloths over my thermals, yet just couldn't get warm for the entire night.
A couple of years ago, I purchased the WM Ultralite which is rated at 20 degree's. It has served me well so far with only a few nights in the low 30's. I usually use a foam pad from walmart, but ended up using my Big Agnes Air Core Pad instead. I also use a piece of Tyvek to fit under my Eureka Spitfire UL tent. So I guess my question is what am I doing wrong ??? Any suggestions or is it just me.... ??

#155908 - 10/16/11 07:26 PM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: intrek38]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
If your BA mat is the non insulated type, there is your problem.
Franco

#155909 - 10/16/11 07:42 PM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: Franco]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Originally Posted By Franco
If your BA mat is the non insulated type, there is your problem.
Franco

+1

#155914 - 10/16/11 09:05 PM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: intrek38]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
+2 on the pad.

A plain air pad with no insulation will get cold in the 40's F. The air inside gets chilled from the ground and the air, and conducts heat away from your body. Every time you move, you stir up the air in the pad, bringing more cold air in contact with your body. Even for an Insulated Air Core, freezing (32*F) is close to borderline. By the time you get into the 20's F, you need a pad with R5 insulation, or a closed-cell foam pad placed on top of the Insulated Air Core pad.

I went through this a couple of years ago trying to use a NeoAir at 18* temps. When I laid still long enough to find out, I was plenty warm on the top and shivering on the side next to the NeoAir!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/17/11 01:38 AM)

#155918 - 10/16/11 10:11 PM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: OregonMouse]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Seems like I remember reading where someone here had experimented with using Reflectix under an air pad. I dont remember who it was or what the results were though.

#155927 - 10/17/11 06:44 AM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: intrek38]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
You said you were burned out and went to bed around 6:00. Did you drink enough water on the way in, and did you cook and eat supper before turning in? If not, those could be contributing factors.

More likely is the BA Air Core pad - just like everyone else said, it's no good in colder temperatures, and I had the BA Insulated Air Core pad let the cold through at about 35 degrees.

And, just to nail down all the loose boards, if you were using the insulated pad, did you have the maroon side on top? I believe the insulation is attached to that side, and hangs down to be effective - if you used it upside down, the insulation didn't "fluff" properly. (Anyhow that's what the local outfitter asked when I told him what happened to me.)

#155934 - 10/17/11 10:01 AM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: Glenn]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Number one item is check the pad (as many others have said).

Number two is how was your body doing at the time. If you push yourself too hard, sometimes it is hard for the core body temps to come back up even if you refuel. I would guess that this is the thing most do poorly, that is monitoring yourself physically. Sometimes you just have to stop and get yourself "back in order" again before continuing on.

sK

P.S. A number three; I am a big guy and I have noticed that my WM ultralight (rated to 20 degrees) works great, but I do have to be a little careful about loft distribution otherwise I get cold spots. My heavier bags never have this problem.

#155936 - 10/17/11 10:40 AM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: intrek38]
ppine Offline

Loc: Minden, Nevada

Wearing a really warm hat to bed like a fur lined mad bomber, will allow you to sleep warm at 20 degrees colder with the same outfit.

#155946 - 10/17/11 12:27 PM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: intrek38]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I'll join the others and opine your problem was 90% the air mattress. Uninsulated mattresses on cold ground will pull heat away from your body pronto. You can get away with one if you're sleeping on thick, dry forest duff since it can be a pretty good insulator, but that's something I never see at 10k feet, myself. A very thin (1/8-inch) foam pad would probably add enough warmth to keep using the air mattress, otherwise I'd suggest an insulated mattress instead.

Sleeping atop your pack or any other available soft gear might have helped that night. Also, do you know the Ultralite trick of shifting the down to the top for colder nights? It has continuous baffles to help widen its temperature range (very helpful for warm nights).

FWIW I've had my Ultra comfortably below 20; it's a bag I trust.

Cheers,

#155975 - 10/17/11 03:31 PM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Shifting the down in the Ultralite only works if you don't turn over! Otherwise, you are better off to make sure the down is distributed evenly in each baffle. I've found I need to check mine every couple of days.

I've taken the Ultralite down to 15*F, wearing my jacket and a fleece balaclava, and--with a well-insulated pad--was very comfortable. That 1/8" foam that was suggested won't be enough with an uninsulated air pad and may not be enough with some insulated air pads.

With the Ultralite, it's also important to tighten up the draft collar really snugly around the neck. With the draft collar tight, I was able to keep the hood loose so I wasn't breathing into the down (something you never want to do!).

It is really important in cold weather to eat a hot meal and have a hot drink in the evening, preferably something with some fat in it which your body will metabolize slowly during the night. It's also important to be hydrated (dehydration contributes a lot to both altitude sickness and hypothermia). You may also have been suffering from a lack of electrolytes on your climb. A high carbohydrate diet also helps with the altitude. Finally, even 5 minutes of vigorous exercise just before crawling into bed will get your metabolism stoked up so you'll have enough body heat to warm up the sleeping bag. I learned all this the hard way!

#155985 - 10/17/11 06:56 PM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: OregonMouse]
intrek38 Offline

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Looks like this non insulated air pad is the problem. I figured the tyvek would be enough but I guess I learned the hard way. I did drink a litter of water before I started the trip and close to a litter during the trip along with some electrolyte mix, had dinner as well. Felt like I was coming down with something but was fine the next day. It was only a 5 mile hike but the elevation along with the pad were more then likely the culprit. Thanks everyone for your help.. Stay warm..

#155994 - 10/18/11 02:59 AM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: intrek38]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Om is right on about eating. I sleep cold and have a +12F rated bag. When I was in Yosemite (7K and +15F) and woke up cold, half a Clif Bar or some chocolate would do the trick. Seems trivial, but made all the difference. As already mentioned, wear a hat like a Turtlefur beanie or a balaclava if you can stand one (I like them during the day, not so much at night), light gloves and socks. I also tossed my parka over my bag, that helped quite a bit.

I was using two pads-a Ridgerest closed cell foam pad under a Thermorest, both are full length.

Edited by TomD (10/18/11 03:00 AM)

#156006 - 10/18/11 01:45 PM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: intrek38]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I did this to myself earlier in the year.

I tried to just carry a foam pad and the uninsulated pad. I was cold in my 15 degree down bag.

I was successful with a foam pad and a spaceblanket on the ground, wrapping the space blanket around the air mattress (foil side in, if it matters) with a bivy sack on top of that, and a poncho liner wrapped around both me and my 40 degree bag. I was wearing a lot of clothes. I don't recommend this solution from a weight perspective.

#156223 - 10/22/11 06:08 PM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: Steadman]
intrek38 Offline

A simple search pretty much sums up almost all the advice in this post. Thanks again for everyones help..
http://www.chiff.com/a/camping-sleep-warm.htm

#156225 - 10/22/11 06:36 PM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: intrek38]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I don't like the idea of having a liquid of any kind in my bag, so I would ignore those tips. Other than that, he's pretty much summed up what we've been talking about.

#156428 - 10/28/11 09:23 AM Re: Sleeping Cold in my WM Ultralite ??? [Re: intrek38]
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
With the advice from OregonMouse who had used a POE InsulMat, an older version of the Ether Thermo,I purchased a newer model POE Elite from a shop in Vancouver. There are two models, one with synthetic insulation throughout, which is 20oz, and the model I purchased, which has insulation just under the core, which weighs 15oz. This pad is really comfortable down to freezing,but for your situation I would get the fully insulated pad. The POE Elite is a viable alternative to Big Agnes and to Thermarest pads. There's newer models now, all a bit heavier (go figure) but still lighter than most of the competition.

Edited by wildthing (10/28/11 09:35 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum