Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
BackcountryGear.com
backcountry gear

---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store
 ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves, Cookware
Ultralight Down Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Slings & Webbing
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial
Ice & Snow
Helmets
Climbing Shoes
Climbing Accessories

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Shovels
Tele-Accessories
Hats, Gloves, Gaiters
Accessories

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Casual
Men's Climbing
Men's Trail
Women's Casual
Women's Climbing
Women's Trail

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens
Womens
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool
all brands

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Award Winners
New Arrivals
Top Rated
Lightweight
Shop Green

SHOP ECONOMICALLY 

Outdoor Gear Daily Deals
Outlets, Bargains, Sales

SIBLINGS 

Backpacking Lite Home
Backpacking & Hiking Books
Backpacking Food
Backpacking Recipes

Stay Healthy--Eat Well

MARY JANES FARM ORGANIC MEALS

Mary Janes Farm Organic Backcountry Meals

NATURAL HIGH GOURMET MEALS

Natural High

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155523 - 10/07/11 05:21 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: finallyME]
Nick K. Offline

hehe read the reviews for that knife. 1/4in blade compainion miltary knife.

people talk about using to dig and doing all sorts of wild stuff with em on the regular, thats kinda why im getting such a beefy knife. knifes are used for so much more than cutting. especally a knife like this.

hehe i will keep track of how i dont use the butter knife at all smile but you cant buy titanium spoon and fork alone so i just get the kit.

hehe i shoulda read the title of the website before posting my list smile im not going minimalist. Im pretty sure that i could do 15-20mile hike trip with a sack that is less than 50lb.

you guys talk about 20lb like its retardedly heavy. i have more than 20lb in my backpack everyday for my bikeride to work lol..

and when justifying im just trying to make sure you understand my purpose of having it on the list. its not just "well that looks fun." almost all the items have at least 2 uses for camping. i think im doing pretty good lol. considering that when my dad goes camping with 3 people he brings a full 15'/5' trailer + full truck bed for 2 day camping trip LOL.

i think having everything and the kitchen sink runs in the family.

and just to restate. when i added up weights of everything before i started cutting a few things out the total weight of the bag loaded was close to 35lb. which comes out to around 15% of my body weight. where is a forum for people that want to sweat while hiking? lol

#155524 - 10/07/11 05:44 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
lori Offline

[quote=Nick K.

and just to restate. when i added up weights of everything before i started cutting a few things out the total weight of the bag loaded was close to 35lb. which comes out to around 15% of my body weight. where is a forum for people that want to sweat while hiking? lol [/quote]

Come back after you carry the 35 lb pack every weekend for a few months and let us know how much it matters what the pack weighs!

Every single pound matters to me. But I've been backpacking for a few years longer than you have. Maybe you can carry 80 lbs - so what? Why do you want to carry a heavy pack when you can be more comfortable with less?

You can of course carry anything you like. But you came and asked a bunch of people who have done exactly what you're doing - sorry the answer you've gotten doesn't make much sense to you. Wait ten years and a few long backpacking trips and it will!

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#155525 - 10/07/11 06:27 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: lori]
Nick K. Offline

lori
no disrespect wink
i understand your guys side dispite always having a comeback smile

im just trying to get a nice ballance of weight and creature comforts.

and on another note. i just dont understand how you guys can say that no matter how big or strong or fit a person is it has no relivance to how heavy or light a pack could be.

and at your comfort remark, comfort is all relitive. do i pack light and not be as comfortable when camping? or pack a med/heavy ruck and get a nice ballance of both?

its all a balancing act. wink

Edited by Nick K. (10/07/11 06:44 PM)

#155526 - 10/07/11 06:29 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
When we are talking weights, we are generally talking before food/water/fuel. 35 lbs is really good. I will put money that your pack ends up being more than 50 lbs though. If you fill up the 2 liter bladder, then add another 4.4 lbs of water weight. Fill up your stainless water bottle and then add another 2 lbs. If you are really good at food choice, then add 1.5 lbs a day. I bet you end up around 2 lbs a day, mostly because you probably need more calories than the average person. You don't have all your clothes on that list, only what you are wearing. You still need rain protection and insulation. So basically what I am saying is that that isn't your full list. Put a full list together and then see where you are weight wise.

Hey, in my youth I did many 50-60lb week long trips covering around 50 miles. It was fun and I didn't notice the weight at all. Now I am older and think differently. Don't worry if you are in the 60 lb range. You will be able to do it. If you stay with this activity long term though, I guarantee that you will be changing everything. I did the same.

#155528 - 10/07/11 06:38 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: finallyME]
Nick K. Offline

@hydration pack weight, i wont keep it full i will get water when needed. not that it matters THAT much. but still.your right about stainless bottle.

jacket will be purchased later (thinkin northface triclimate or columbia equivilant). will carry 2 pairs of pants one pair for most if not all of the weekend and one pair backup justincase. i will trade out underarmour everyday.

also for people a little about me, im 6' 220lb and 24. i dont drive, i commute on a bike everyday for the last 4 years, and i work a very physical job.

"Hey, in my youth I did many 50-60lb week long trips covering around 50 miles. It was fun and I didn't notice the weight at all. Now I am older and think differently."
thanks for saying it can be done if wanted wink i realize it might be a pita but also it could be fine. plus I dont plan on getting old any time soon wink LOL

"I guarantee that you will be changing everything. I did the same."
what hobby does a person not upgrade and change everything when transition from novus to "expert"? laugh

Edited by Nick K. (10/07/11 07:27 PM)

#155530 - 10/07/11 08:01 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I think you will have a great time. When I was a senior in high school, I took off for a 2 nighter with some buddies. I lived in Everett, so we headed to Mt Baker NF. We had way too much clothes (and the wrong type), low tech equipment, etc. We ended up getting lost and using a day to dry out. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot.

Make sure to take lots of pics and tell us about it.

#155532 - 10/07/11 08:30 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
As a Danner boot user... for your own sake, if you are buying new, break them in. Reviews that say it takes 40 miles of walking to break them in are not joking (or, at least, my feet weren't laughing...)

Have fun. Enjoy the trip.

#155534 - 10/07/11 08:40 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Steadman]
Nick K. Offline

yep.
i own danner quarry alloy toe and wear them 8-9hours a day. they are what made me decide if i was to ever buy outdoor/leather shoe it will be from them. these boots are more comfy than my street shoes.

i <3 danner so much and the factory store is so close, wish me luck in finding a nice pair of boot for real cheap

Edited by Nick K. (10/07/11 08:46 PM)

#155539 - 10/07/11 09:40 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
Nick K. Offline

anyone know a good area for just going off trails? i wana just goo and make my own trail.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Trails-Maps-...7765&sr=1-1

smile

#155540 - 10/07/11 10:03 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
Nick K. Offline

New Updates.
Jacket
Boots
ETC.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Do you remember your first gear purchase?
by Roastduck
Yesterday at 04:54 PM
Thermarest MEDIUM Tech Blanket?
by Kuhndog01
12/16/14 11:44 AM
Gear Critique
by dylansdad77
12/16/14 10:09 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
What about nice?
by balzaccom
Today at 11:44 AM
Who's naughty?
by balzaccom
Yesterday at 12:27 PM
folding a topomap while retaining coordinants
by the-gr8t-waldo
12/16/14 10:48 PM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Any Ideas for Holding Together CCF Sections?
by 4evrplan
12/11/14 11:10 AM
Jacket Shell Material
by bcn989
12/04/14 08:54 AM
Hoop Skirt Boning for Tent Poles
by Cowgirl007
11/18/14 03:12 PM
Featured Photos
Breakneck Ridge, New York
May 2012 Eclipse, Lassen Park
New Years Eve 2011
Trip Report with Photos
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Welcome to the Trip Report with Photos Forum
Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NevadaGP, Axl, Kuhndog01, Zacc2003, shopon1079
11299 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
HOME
Backpacking.net
Family Hiking
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Outdoor Gear Daily Deals
Outlets, Sales, Bargains

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum.com