Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155454 - 10/05/11 10:53 PM sub $100 solo tent
k smith Offline

Loc: ca

i know its a tight budget but if you were 6-1 and in need of a cheap solo tent for 3 season use which one would you choose
and where can you find them at sub $100 prices and please don t say if you can swing a bit more cash buy this one
or that one the budget is $100

thanks for any info
k smith

#155455 - 10/05/11 11:31 PM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]
Tye Offline

Loc: Texas
A good under $100 tent is a rare thing. I read gobs of reviews and websites, etc. etc. etc. about various tents and ended up just recently getting a Eureka Spitfire from Amazon $89 free shipping. I am actually very impressed with the quality of this thing. I just seam sealed it. My junky scale shows it at 3 pounds, but the scale is not very accurate.

The size may be an issue with it. I am 5'4" and room is not a problem. However, I don't know about a 6'1" person.

Of course, tarptent will be the most "treasured" tent by a lot of folks, but they are a bit over your listed budget.

Edited by Tye (10/05/11 11:34 PM)

#155456 - 10/05/11 11:43 PM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I have a eureka solitaire that's a bivy style tent. It's pretty small, but I'd think you'd fit in it. I have a hard time getting in and out of it, but that's not because of my height, it's because the tent is really short wink

But, it is a good tent, it's very light, and it's under $100.

Where will you be using it? You might look into a hammock or a tarp too.

"You want to go where?"

#155457 - 10/06/11 12:43 AM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: billstephenson]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
By far your best bet is a used tent. Do your research first. There are quite a few used Tarptent Contrails around because a lot of "gotta have the latest tent" folks have bought the newer Tarptent Moment. However, I personally would pick the Contrail.

If you must have a new tent, the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout is only $25 over your budget. It was designed for tall people!

Most tents under $100 new won't hold up and will leak. However, Coleman backpacking tents do pretty well (in my limited experience) and you might find one for $100 or less. Test with a hose in the back yard and seal the seams if they leak. Don't expect it to be lightweight. I used one in southern France once and it held up just fine through a violent thunderstorm followed by steady heavy rain that caused floods all over the region. Later on my son#1 used it in unrelenting rain in the Canadian Rockies. It weighed over 5 lbs. dry, though.

If you can't swing any of the above, this should be within your budget:
8' x 10' Equinox silnylon tarp from Campmor, $80
2 yards wedding veil material from local fabric store as bug net (drape from top of tarp)
Polycro plastic (for shrink-to-fit storm windows) from big box hardware as ground sheet
Mason's twine for guylines
Homemade stakes from metal coat hangers
Poles--either use your trekking poles or look at local outfitter

The total will be about 20 oz., making this probably the lightest as well as the cheapest solo shelter. With the 8' x 10' tarp, there will be enough room you can fit in a dog or possibly another person without too much trouble. Or you can use a cheaper (but considerably) heavier tarp.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/06/11 12:51 AM)

#155460 - 10/06/11 08:57 AM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: OregonMouse]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Without knowing how you will use the tent, it's really pretty difficult to give a good suggestion. Can you tell us more about your backpacking plans?

#155463 - 10/06/11 10:18 AM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]
k smith Offline

i would be using the tent for solo backpacking in californias sierra mountains but i will not use it very much
only when my son decides not to go with me which only happens about 3 times a season soi don t want to blow a ton of cash on a tent i will use 3 times a year i do not do any winter camping only 3 season use is what it will see
thanks for the advice so far guys

k smith

#155464 - 10/06/11 10:38 AM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: OregonMouse]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

8' x 10' Equinox silnylon tarp from Campmor, $80
2 yards wedding veil material from local fabric store as bug net (drape from top of tarp)
Polycro plastic (for shrink-to-fit storm windows) from big box hardware as ground sheet
Mason's twine for guylines
Homemade stakes from metal coat hangers
Poles--either use your trekking poles or look at local outfitter

This is what I would recommend as well. Another tarp that is a little heavier and a little cheaper is:
Campmor 1.9 oz tarp
You can use $1 stakes from REI and either mason line or another cheap 2mm line.

#155465 - 10/06/11 11:20 AM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By k smith

i would be using the tent for solo backpacking in californias sierra mountains but i will not use it very much
only when my son decides not to go with me which only happens about 3 times a season soi don t want to blow a ton of cash on a tent i will use 3 times a year i do not do any winter camping only 3 season use is what it will see
thanks for the advice so far guys

k smith

Then I am guessing your not just looking for a sub $100 tent. You are looking for a sub $100 tent that is better than lugging the tent you use with your son. So what tent is this new purchase competing against?

#155468 - 10/06/11 11:48 AM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
OregonMouse is right about Coleman tents. I visited our local "Camp Coleman Outlet Store" yesterday and they had several nice backpacking tents in your price range.

Here's one that's under $100.

The manager there told me they'll be having a "Tent Sale" next week. (Not necessarily a backpacking tent sale, but a big tent in the parking lot with stuff on sale). He said they'd have some really good deals happening.

During the Christmas shopping season they have some pretty incredible deals. I don't know if there is a Camp Coleman store near you, but if there is it's worth checking into.

"You want to go where?"

#155469 - 10/06/11 12:01 PM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
If you can sew, the kit for the solo quest bilgy is only 114 including shipping. I have the two person version and I like it. Its 1 lb 7 oz. Usable floor space is 37X93. I know its a little over your budget, but it will be alot lighter than most of the other cheap tents.

#155477 - 10/06/11 05:06 PM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]

I agree that we need to know what tent you use when going with your son, especially how much it weighs. There's no point in getting a solo tent that weighs more than the 2-person tent you already have--save your money and take the bigger tent!

In your area, for 3-season use, the tarp setup I suggested should work fine!

#155498 - 10/07/11 05:10 AM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: OregonMouse]
frediver Offline

After my last trip and spending 12hr a day in my smaller bivi tent and then waiting for everything to dry I have decided that a tarp 8x10 or something like a Appy Trail will be my choice. No more small tents.
The Appy Trail is in your price range.

#155529 - 10/07/11 06:44 PM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I just purchased a eureaka solitaire for 69.99 at local dicks sporting goods store. For a freind of mine. I haven't seen it in action yet but at 2lbs 10 oz I would give it a shot myself

#155550 - 10/08/11 09:30 AM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]
PDA Offline

REI Chrysalis available with 30% off this week at REI Outlet. That would be $110. 3 1/2 lb. I have one. A very good tent. May be cramped if over 6'. Tons of reviews on REI.com
There's an REI Quarter Dome T1 for auction on Ebay now (2 days to go) weighs just under 3 lbs and easier to get in and out than the Chrysalis.
And here's a good deal at $76
http://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering-Mys...387&sr=1-23

Edited by PDA (10/08/11 09:46 AM)

#155561 - 10/08/11 04:24 PM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: Samoset]
JAY8533 Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I'll chime in with another vote for one of the Eureka's mentioned. I picked one up about eight years ago. Its only seen sporadic use but it has held up under some pretty awful downpours. Not sure on the weight, truth be told.

#155563 - 10/08/11 04:26 PM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: PDA]
Boulderman Offline

I second that you should consider the Alps mountaineering gear. Very good price to performance ratio.

Originally Posted By PDA
REI Chrysalis available with 30% off this week at REI Outlet. That would be $110. 3 1/2 lb. I have one. A very good tent. May be cramped if over 6'. Tons of reviews on REI.com
There's an REI Quarter Dome T1 for auction on Ebay now (2 days to go) weighs just under 3 lbs and easier to get in and out than the Chrysalis.
And here's a good deal at $76
http://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering-Mys...387&sr=1-23

#155565 - 10/08/11 06:22 PM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: Boulderman]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I agree with OM-look for something used. I used a SD Flashlight (pre clip model) in New Zealand, which has weather like Northern Cal and it worked fine. I bet you could find a used one for around $100 on Craigslist or eBay if you are patient.

A solo tent or bivy in bad weather is going to be a miserable experience IMHO.

#155567 - 10/08/11 06:42 PM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
how about this
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23889

Have heard pretty good things about it and its larger brother the 2-person Spitfire

#155595 - 10/09/11 11:25 PM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]
k smith Offline

thanks for the replies guys the tents i am using now are the
mountainsmith morrison 2 person and the tarptent cloudburst 2

both are great tents but overkill for solo use i have owned several tents including the mountain hardwear sprite 1
eureka spitfire big agnes seedhouse sl1 and tarptent moment
all have pros and cons but the spitfire seems to be the only one within my small budget right now what about the alps zepher 1 anyone tried that one and if so will it fit a guy 6-1 ??

k smith

Edited by k smith (10/09/11 11:27 PM)

#155692 - 10/11/11 07:12 PM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]
PDA Offline

Z1 on Amazon at under 100 at the moment. Haven't tried that tent, but specs look good for 6'1" I have other Alps gear and it is bullet proof (a bit on the heavy side though).

#155714 - 10/12/11 10:04 AM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I know you have already thought about this, and are looking for something else. But, personally, I would just use the Cloudburst. A sil tarp with bugnet and ground cloth won't be that much lighter, although it is more versatile. Good luck.

#155733 - 10/12/11 03:35 PM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: k smith]

I would also use the Cloudburst. Check weights! I'm sure you'll find that your Cloudburst is no heavier any of the $100 solo tents you are considering, and you'll save $100!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/12/11 03:37 PM)

#155755 - 10/13/11 11:48 AM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: OregonMouse]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
Awright, awright awright, I'll chime in here also. Hi, my name is OldScout and I am a solo Cloudburst user (all together now "HI, OLDSCOUT"). I am here to admit that I use the Cloudburst (original) and love it as a solo. Its big enough for me (6 foot) and all of my gear in the rainy Great Pacific Northwest

#155758 - 10/13/11 12:54 PM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: OldScout]

I just looked up the Eureka Spitfire 1 on their website: "Minimum weight" is 2 pounds, 12 oz. (44 oz.). I couldn't find a definition of "minimum weight" on their website, but the general definition is without stakes and without the stuff sack. For some companies, "minimum weight" also excludes poles and guylines. (Let the buyer beware!)

The Alps Zephyr 1 is even heavier, 3 lbs., 10 oz. (58 oz.) for tent and fly weight--which definitely omits poles, stakes, stuff sack and probably guylines.

Your Tarptent Cloudburst 2 weighs 38 oz., stakes, poles, guylines and stuffsack included. Maybe 39 oz. after seam sealing.

Save your money and your back/knees/feet and use the Cloudburst you already have! You'll enjoy the extra space, too!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/13/11 12:58 PM)

#155924 - 10/17/11 03:40 AM Re: sub $100 solo tent [Re: OregonMouse]
William Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I just looked up the Eureka Spitfire 1 on their website: "Minimum weight" is 2 pounds, 12 oz. (44 oz.).
If you (OP) can find the discontinued Eureka Spitfire Ultralight it is worth considering. It is a discontinued model and though it listed higher, I got mine for $99 (I wish I had bought more than one).

With lightweight pegs and the lightest possible plastic film groundsheet (or none) and a lightweight sack (pack the poles separately), this can come in at 2 pounds 8 ounces total. While not lightweight by today's standards, this is at the low end of the mid-weights.

I like it very much (though I almost always go much lighter). It pitches quickly and easily, it is reasonably roomy for one and has some vestibule storage.

It does have a few idiosyncrasies that kept it from selling well.

The pegs/lines have to be fine-tuned carefully to keep the relatively shallow bathtub floor sides high enough to avoid ground water flow and rain splash. You do this adjustment at the end, with all your gear under cover and no rush.

The foot struts push on the fly fabric with no reinforcement, so there can be wear and tearing if the fly flaps (which it will in even moderate wind, another issue). You can do your own reinforcement or I have been told if you talk to Eureka they will arrange at no charge for you to send it to them to have reinforcement patches installed.

The tent has design defects and really does not pitch taught, no matter what you do. So you do get flapping in the wind.

But all things considered this is a great value tent, a full tent/fly for those who want to go somewhat light but are not yet ready to go with one of the tarp/tent hybrid lighter setups.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum