Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155151 - 09/27/11 04:42 PM November hiking
apachemd Offline

I'm a hiking newbie -- just did Grand Canyon in August, and I'm now addicted.

I want to go on another 5-7 day hiking trip in late November, but I'm worried that all US destinations will be a bit too cold to truly enjoy the trip (half the fun at GC was getting wet in the various streams and pools we encountered). Y'all know of any good, warm places to hike in mid-late November? Zion? Central America? South America?

TIA

#155156 - 09/27/11 06:46 PM Re: November hiking [Re: apachemd]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
You said Zion. I would say that anything in southern Utah, or south of southern Utah. But, warm is relative. So, you might want to be more specific.

#155163 - 09/27/11 08:15 PM Re: November hiking [Re: apachemd]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Yeah, warm is definitely relative. Hiking season here in the Ozarks is from mid-October thru mid-April.

In late November you can expect highs in the low to mid 50sº (F) and lows in the 30sº to 40sº, give or take 10º either way.

"You want to go where?"

#155164 - 09/27/11 08:25 PM Re: November hiking [Re: finallyME]
apachemd Offline

Well, as I understand Zion has quite a few streams and rivers which one has to cross and get wet in in the process. And from my recent GC experience I'd imagine that water is cold as it is. So to answer your question, "warm" for me would ideally be higher than 75 degrees or so, at least during the day time.

Does Zion fit the bill for that time of year?

Any other warm places come to mind?

#155168 - 09/27/11 10:28 PM Re: November hiking [Re: apachemd]
billstephenson Offline

I checked for Nov 25 and at the northern end of the Ozark Mountains (Springfield MO.) the average high is 52º, and the low is 31º.

Just below the Ozarks is the Ouachita National Forest, it's about 58º & 40º there.

Best I could figure for Zion is probably around 55º and 32º.

A 5-7 day hiking trip in late November just about anywhere in mainland U.S. has the potential for some pretty nasty weather. You might look around San Diego or Florida and see what they have to offer. They're about the only places I can think of that'd be that warm then.

I don't know much about backpacking in Central and South America.

"You want to go where?"

#155176 - 09/28/11 12:12 AM Re: November hiking [Re: billstephenson]
apachemd Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson

A 5-7 day hiking trip in late November just about anywhere in mainland U.S. has the potential for some pretty nasty weather.

I think you are right. No warm weather options for continental US hiking outside of summer. Bummer.

LA and San Diego are great for day "city slicker" hikes but don't really offer long hiking trips. Florida is unfortunately flat as a pancake.

I'm looking into the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, but that is far and quite pricey.

I appreciate y'all's input thanks a lot

#155187 - 09/28/11 11:11 AM Re: November hiking [Re: apachemd]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Since you are considering exotic, how about something like this: http://www.backpacker.com/october_2001_destinations_best_backpacking_hawaii/destinations/2556

#155190 - 09/28/11 12:15 PM Re: November hiking [Re: BZH]
billstephenson Offline

One of the members here, balzaccom, did a trip there this year.

Here's his post about it with a link to his blog.

I'm sure he'd be glad to answer any questions you might have about his trip.

"You want to go where?"

#155193 - 09/28/11 12:58 PM Re: November hiking [Re: apachemd]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Georgia. Southern terminus of the AT is 10 min. from my house. grin

#155200 - 09/28/11 02:05 PM Re: November hiking [Re: apachemd]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By apachemd
Well, as I understand Zion has quite a few streams and rivers which one has to cross and get wet in in the process. And from my recent GC experience I'd imagine that water is cold as it is. So to answer your question, "warm" for me would ideally be higher than 75 degrees or so, at least during the day time.

Does Zion fit the bill for that time of year?

Any other warm places come to mind?

Why would you purposefully seek out a place to hike that was above 70 F as a high. I consider between 60 and 70 as optimum for daytime high, and high 20s to low 30s as optimum night time lows. Of course, you did do an August GC hike. I would have picked a cooler month. The best time for Zions is in the fall, and November is perfect. Most of the streams are low then and crossing without getting wet is really easy. Getting your feet wet isn't an issue either. But, for your temp rating, Zion would be too cold. You might want to look at southern California, New Mexico and Arizona, or Mexico for those temps.

#155205 - 09/28/11 05:55 PM Re: November hiking [Re: billstephenson]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By billstephenson
One of the members here, balzaccom, did a trip there this year.

Here's his post about it with a link to his blog.

I'm sure he'd be glad to answer any questions you might have about his trip.

Thanks for remembering, Bill!

Yep--I'd be happy to set you on a course to Peru. It was one of the best adventures we've ever done, and we would go back in a heartbeat.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#155258 - 09/30/11 01:18 PM Re: November hiking [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Lots of opportunities in Arizona and Southern California. Just be aware that you must check the current weather forecast, since the November scene can be highly variable. A lot of trips involve going to higher altitudes for at least part of the journey. During November you might encounter snow on the ground, though it is not likely.

If you want really warm temps, consider forays in Anza Borrego, the Sierra Pinacate (Mexico), and Organ Pipe Cactus and nearby areas.

If you want something really different, inquire at Channel Islands National Park about backpacking on Santa Rosaa Island - probably not a possibility this year, but 2012 will be a whole new ball game.

#155283 - 09/30/11 09:00 PM Re: November hiking [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
TomM Offline

Originally Posted By Blue_Ridge_Ninja
Georgia. Southern terminus of the AT is 10 min. from my house. grin

My suggestion also. Last Nov I hiked the last 100 miles of the Southern AT. Weather wasn't too bad.

#155495 - 10/06/11 11:44 PM Re: November hiking [Re: TomM]
RHodo Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
How about Big Bend National Park? The Chisos Mtns will be cooler but the desert should still be quite warm.

#155767 - 10/13/11 04:15 PM Re: November hiking [Re: apachemd]
ppine Offline

Loc: Minden, Nevada
apachemd,

November is a great month for hiking. No crowds, no bugs, fall colors, good fishing, and active wildlife.

The west coast is mild then, although it can be wet at times. If you have the right clothes nearly every state has suitable hiking in November if you stay at the lower elevations. Some people equate backpacking with tall mountains only.

Big Bend is in the Sonoran Desert which is even hotter than the Mojave. I backpacked there only once for New Year,s and it was grand- 70s daytime, freezing nighttime. November can be too hot and water is really scarce.

Great to hear about Peru, a really intersting place to visit. The only other country I have been to in SA was Bolivia, which is like Peru only more so. More Indios, a humble population and very little hustling.

#155799 - 10/13/11 09:59 PM Re: November hiking [Re: ppine]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I am being kind of nit picky, but I always thought Big Bend was representative of the Chihuahuan desert. They ain't got no saguaros.. The par web site seems to think so too.

again, is a time of global climate change, it may be a small issue, but I am pretty sure the Mojave is the warmest of the three North American deserts. I believe Death Valley is still the continental hot spot at something like 134 degrees.

Would you believe that Santa Barbara, CA, once officially recorded 132 degrees?

#155828 - 10/14/11 12:04 PM Re: November hiking [Re: oldranger]
ppine Offline

Oldranger,

You may be right about the Chihuahuan Desert down there as it is off my normal range. The Mojave is the coolest followed by Sonoran and then Chihuahuan. Death Valley is definitley a hot spot, but an anomoly because of its elevation.

Big Bend is capable of kicking anyoune's butt so be careful.

#156395 - 10/27/11 01:05 PM Re: November hiking [Re: apachemd]
ppine Offline

Hiking on the Inca Trail is a wonderful experience. Realize that Cuzco the Inca capitol and closest airport, is well over 12,000 feet. The trail goes up from there. It takes quite awhile to acclimate even with coca leaf tea.

If you can travel in the mountains for a week before starting your hiking adventure you will be way ahead. After 3 weeks in the Andes I felt totally normal in LaPaz, Bolivia at almost 13,000 feet.

#156397 - 10/27/11 01:09 PM Re: November hiking [Re: apachemd]
ppine Offline

There plenty of places to go in the continental US all winter. Just choose low elevations and roadless spots on the map. How about saving some of your travel money for better clothes?

Places on our southern border, like southern Arizona are not so safe now. There are road check points with US Border Patrol agents even 100 miles from the border. How about so Utah?

How about the mountains of Mexico or El Yanque in Puerto Rico?

Edited by ppine (10/27/11 01:11 PM)

#156405 - 10/27/11 04:10 PM Re: November hiking [Re: ppine]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I used to live in La Paz. I had HAPE (high altitude pulmonary edema) or pneumonia (similar symptoms) twice and the second time almost killed me. Fortunately I was at home (just got back from the States), so it was a quick trip to the clinic where I spent a week hooked up to O2 and and an IV.

My point is unless you are sure you can handle the altitude, traveling in the Andes is not a great idea. I was as high as 16-18K or so a number of times, but that was after being there a while-not weeks, months.

#156406 - 10/27/11 04:37 PM Re: November hiking [Re: TomD]
ppine Offline

TomD,

Sorry to hear about your HAPE episodes. Met some young Swiss climbers on a boat on Lake Titicaca that had just returned from Mt. Ilimane. They got really sick and vowed to never go that high again, 19,000 feet. You are correct to caution people about the dangers of high elevation.

Most people who are healthy can probably do okay at elevations below 13,000 feet. What other advice can you give those that want to go higher?

#156408 - 10/27/11 05:11 PM Re: November hiking [Re: apachemd]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
LA and San Diego are great for day "city slicker" hikes but don't really offer long hiking trips.

That is actually not true. Pacific Crest Trail is one example. But it is difficult to connect up routes in a number of instances especially in the desert; good route finding skills are required. Additionally, some of these are NOT newbie hikes. If you look into books by Jerry Schad (Afoot and Afield in San Diego County, for instance), you will find oppertunities to connect up hikes/backpacks in local areas. A bit more work because you need to research, but definitely can be done. The easiest 5 to 7 day IS the southern portion of the PCT; the days can be nice and the nights will be cold.

There is a whole set of backpacking adventures to be had just south of the boarder in Baja California as well. Located in wild and rough country, these are also not newbie hikes and now potentially have some new hazards as well. Water finding skills come up this time of year, but one of my favorites is La Tasajera meadow past La Grulla meadow all the way to the apparent ruins of Mission San Pedro Martir. There no guidebooks to this currently in print either (that I know of). There was one by a fellow named John Robinson that you may be able to get used but I wouldn't go there on a lark; you NEED to be good at route finding.

#156496 - 10/31/11 07:44 AM Re: November hiking [Re: finallyME]
nighttime Offline

I always liked the challenge of winter hiking. No bugs, no snakes, no mosquitoes or at least fewer biting mosquitoes.
You sweat anyway and have to carry a lot of gear for the night, but you usually have the woods to yourself.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum