Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155291 - 10/01/11 01:00 AM Re: A few quick fundamental questions [Re: Pika]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
and as we say here in Central Oregon, "It's dry cold".
Jim smile

#155459 - 10/06/11 04:27 AM Re: A few quick fundamental questions [Re: Samual Miller]
Samual Miller Offline

Oh my, I'm so pleased to see all the feedback, even the ones implying my dumb youth, but I digress, it's true to an extent, this is a potentially dangerous and reckless adventure I hope to pursue, but it's replies like these that help me better prepare myself for what lies ahead. I have been considering doing the biking thing, I'll need to start bettering my physical condition for that though (I'm not terribly out of shape, but I'll need to stop smoking, and do some preparations to do so) and I agree that it's a lot more productive distance-wise.

I was also thinking about the lodging issue, and again, my dumb youth kicks in, and assures me that if I keep everything well planned that I hopefully won't be stuck in a desolate area by nightfall (I'm actually a hardcore insomniac so walking at night isn't an issue, as potentially dangerous as it may be) Someone brought up that walking highways are dreadfully boring, and it sounds like a lame reply to this but I own several media players, loaded with music, and I have literally watched an entire day go by just getting lost in my music, I'm sort of easy that way.

And judging by distance of highways and long stretches of sightless walking, I want to do a bit of greyhounding.

At this point it sounds like hydration is a major aspect, and while it was on my mind, I suppose I hadn't focused enough on it, does anyone have any simple solutions to keeping water with me? Are camelbacks good/can they be used in unison with a backpacking pack? (Not sure of the technical term for a backpacking pack aha..)

Planning is going to be the biggest part for me, I realize this, I have no specific time I want to do this trip, just before my life starts falling into place and I start adopting more fiscal responsibilities, thus rendering a trip of this magnitude more difficult to do.

I hear people saying that hitch hiking is a no go, and I was afraid that would be the case, so I never really put to much faith in that idea (I am 6'2" and medium set, so I'm not a small guy anyways, not sure if that matters to serial killers and such though xD)

Talking to friends and family about the potential of this trip, I keep hearing the word GPS come up, and I know that should be essential, as well as an atlas and a compass (I learned how to read maps while preparing for my continental divide trip) Any input on the navigation portion?

Again, I have to thank everyone for their words of advice I'm nowhere near ready, but having this sort of help is really quite... well... helpful

#155466 - 10/06/11 11:40 AM Re: A few quick fundamental questions [Re: Samual Miller]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Samual Miller
At this point it sounds like hydration is a major aspect, and while it was on my mind, I suppose I hadn't focused enough on it, does anyone have any simple solutions to keeping water with me? Are camelbacks good/can they be used in unison with a backpacking pack? (Not sure of the technical term for a backpacking pack aha..)

Most commercial backpacks have a sleeve for a camelback and are setup to route the tubing to your shoulder straps for easy access. You'll also probably want a water treatment option. A popular option around here is a sawyer gravity fed system. I have a steripen (that I haven't gotten to use much yet frown ), and pump filters are another option.

Originally Posted By Samual Miller

Planning is going to be the biggest part for me, I realize this, I have no specific time I want to do this trip, just before my life starts falling into place and I start adopting more fiscal responsibilities, thus rendering a trip of this magnitude more difficult to do.

I hear people saying that hitch hiking is a no go, and I was afraid that would be the case, so I never really put to much faith in that idea (I am 6'2" and medium set, so I'm not a small guy anyways, not sure if that matters to serial killers and such though xD)

It's not the hitch hikers killed by serial killers that was the problem. Hitch hikers were free spirits that weren't too bothered by that kind of thing. It is the hitch hikers that were serial killers that got everybody too scared to pick anyone up.

#155489 - 10/06/11 10:22 PM Re: A few quick fundamental questions [Re: BZH]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Samual,

Check out this site: http://imjustwalkin.com/

It's about a guy who walked across the country. I like his idea of a converted baby jogger to carry his gear. If you carry a pack on it, you can mail the jogger ahead if you do a long stretch of trails.

"Young and stupid" is a compliment. Those of us who are now old and stupid miss those days. Might be a good trail name, too.

You can overplan the trip trying to see interesting things people know about. But then you will miss the things people don't know about.

#155913 - 10/16/11 08:52 PM Re: A few quick fundamental questions [Re: Gershon]
Gershon Offline

I've been looking at the American Discovery Trail and have hiked about 40 miles of it since this thread started. Very little of it is actually on roads. There are a lot of little local paths it uses that aren't on maps.

The printed directions are very good and can be followed without a map, although a reasonable map to get back on track if misplaced is a good essential.

I got the maps and data points for Missouri, Kansas and Colorado. I rode a bicycle through Missouri pretty much along the same route and it's fine for walking. I think I'd take a bus or something through St. Louis and Kansas City. However, the trail through Kansas City gets very good comments in the journals. I've driven the general route though Kansas many times. I say general as it uses secondary roads in the vicinity of where I drove. No problems I can see there.

I've found Streets and Trips to be the best for planning. It won't give a perfect track, but close enough. I found it's seldom more than 10 miles between grocery stores within 0.3 miles of the trail.

It starts to fall apart a little bit where it uses the Colorado Trail. There are only a few weeks in the year when snow isn't a threat, but it's easy enough to go around on roads. The Colorado Trail is challenging to plan, but a person who walked from Delaware should be able to figure it out with the data book, maps, and monitoring weather through www.trailforums.com.

Personally, if I was set on crossing the country, I'd consider heading north out of Colorado into Utah, Idaho, Montana and Oregon. But that would take a little more planning to see if it's feasible.

Camping isn't a serious problem. I've called a few small town police departments and they all said they'd find a place to spend a night if you are passing through. That agrees with a book I've read about a solo bicycle trip across the country.

Planning it is really a simple process, just not easy as it's so big. I think I'd want a friend planning ahead for me and making calls to police stations for camping. I'd probably use a bounce box to send maps forward and resupplies in case I couldn't find what I wanted. You can generally count on one being someplace in a week. As long as there are always bailout plans, I don't see any extraordinary dangers.

I looked at the Lewis and Clark Trail. Although I like the route better, I couldn't find a databook on it. It looks like it's still in the planning stages.

The whole thing wouldn't be cheap. A very rough estimate is about $11,000. (I've already tripled it.)

#156201 - 10/21/11 05:37 PM Re: A few quick fundamental questions [Re: Gershon]
Gershon Offline

If the OP is looking for adventure, the TransAmerica Bicycle Trail starts in Yorktown, VA and ends in western Oregon. It also passes through Pueblo, Co (Where I live.)

It looks a little more doable than the complete ADT.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum