Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154520 - 09/10/11 05:34 PM Practice Hike
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Today, I took a 4 1/2 hour out and back hike of only 4.4 miles to practice some things. I carried a pack for overnight which was 24 pounds. A little heavy, but I was using a 8 x 10 heavy plastic tarp for the hammock. The new one is on the way.

I stopped here on the way out to cook oatmeal with lots of fixins added. On the way back, I stopped here for a snack of peanuts, raisons and dehydrated bananas. Some people stopped by, so we talked for a bit.

My first wild hang of the hammock. I set up the tarp, too, but didn't take pictures.

I also cooked some really good potato soup here. I made it from potato flour, dehydrated onions, sunflower seeds and some pepper.

On the way back, I spotted a Smooth Green Snake on the trail which is supposed to be hard to find.

One thing I learned is I really need to pack the hammock things in a section of the pack different than the sleeping bag. Otherwise, the bag will likely get wet if it's raining.

Also, 1.5 pounds of food probably isn't going to be enough for a day. I'm probably going to pack by meal instead of by day. It will be easier to figure things out on the trail.

The actual hiking time was right at 2 hours, so when I moved I moved pretty good for me. It was an 1,800 foot climb on the way out and the same on the way back.

My new Danner military desert combat boots were real comfortable. They are water proof which I tested by walking though a small stream. They didn't leak at all.

#154522 - 09/10/11 07:03 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: Gershon]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Good job! My only suggestion is loose the heavy boots . And pitch tarp as advanced leanto and spend the night next time wink

#154554 - 09/12/11 01:05 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: Gershon]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Gershon
It was an 1,800 foot climb on the way out and the same on the way back....

Up hill both ways, huh? My Grandpa used to mention something about that. I never could figure out why he didn't take the loop in the opposite direction when he went to and from school.

#154605 - 09/13/11 05:04 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: Gershon]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
If you ever try and grab the tail of a small smooth green snake, watch out, they are freaking fast! They will turn around and try to bite you pretty dang quick. Much faster than a garden snake, or copper mouth, or any other snake I have tried it with. I don't recommend that anyone try that with any snake anyways, I was young and dumb then. smile

#154613 - 09/13/11 07:24 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: BZH]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Maybe he was too preoccupied to think of it, what with his little brother on his back, and all that snow. smile

#154617 - 09/13/11 08:22 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: finallyME]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Wait, wait, WAIT!!! Lets just back up a second here...

Quote:
If you ever try and grab the tail of a small smooth green snake, watch out, they are freaking fast! They will turn around and try to bite you pretty dang quick. Much faster than a garden snake, or copper mouth, or any other snake I have tried it with.

finallyME, YOU have tried to pick up a copperhead by the tail WITHOUT pinning the head first!?!? DUUUUDE! That is CRAzY. Tell me about it...

#154621 - 09/13/11 08:54 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: Glenn]
Gershon Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
Maybe he was too preoccupied to think of it, what with his little brother on his back, and all that snow. smile

You had it easy. In my day, we carried our bigger brother so his shoes wouldn't wear out before they were handed down. It was 5 miles uphill each way into the blowing snow. Remember how cold it was when the melting snow came through the cardboard covering the holes in your shoes?

#154644 - 09/14/11 01:57 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: skcreidc]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By skcreidc
Wait, wait, WAIT!!! Lets just back up a second here...

Quote:
If you ever try and grab the tail of a small smooth green snake, watch out, they are freaking fast! They will turn around and try to bite you pretty dang quick. Much faster than a garden snake, or copper mouth, or any other snake I have tried it with.

finallyME, YOU have tried to pick up a copperhead by the tail WITHOUT pinning the head first!?!? DUUUUDE! That is CRAzY. Tell me about it...

Well, lets see....there I was..:)
It wasn't on the trail, it was at home. I was about 16 and we were living in an apartment complex in San Antonio. I was walking home when a big black guy yelled snake. Of course, I went running toward the commotion. The snake had almost made it to the undeveloped forested area that was next to the complex when I quickly grabbed the tail to pull it back in view. All I did the first time was pull it back and then let it go. So, as soon as it hit the ground, it started to try and get away again. I then grabbed the tail again. This time the snake decided to try and bite me. It was really slow turning back on itself and wasn't even close to getting his head near me. Then it decided to coil up. The black guy went and got a tire iron from his car, and I put it on top of the snake, then grabbed the back of it's head. When I lifted it up, it was a little longer than I was tall, so probably about 6 feet long. We eventually cut it's head off, despite me wanting to take it home as a pet. This was all well before I saw crocodile hunter on TV.

When you are young, you do dumb things. Well, at least I did. smile

#154657 - 09/14/11 06:34 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: finallyME]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I heard that to kill a cottonmouth you're supposed to grab it by the tail end and swing it around your head real fast and then smack it on a rock or tree.

Course, I never tried it crazy

And, heck yeah, it's always uphill both ways here in the Ozarks, I'll testify to that, and the hills get taller as you get older too, and I know a bunch of old hillbillies that will back me up all the way on that laugh

"You want to go where?"

#154671 - 09/14/11 10:54 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: finallyME]
skcreidc Offline

Great story! Except for the part about taking it home as a pet, it all sounds normal to me. If you have seen "the Gods must be Crazy", Bill's way to kill snakes is the way the little bushman kills cobras...not that I have ever tried that. All you have to do is stay away from the sharp end!

#154689 - 09/15/11 03:01 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: skcreidc]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
This explains why so many snakebite victims in the US are young men....:^)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#154736 - 09/16/11 01:28 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

The first time I heard that was in 1969 when I spent a HOT summer with my father outside of Ft. Worth TX.

We lived in a trailer park out in the middle of some huge cattle ranches and all us kids spent most of everyday hiking to a swimming hole in a creek a couple miles away and hanging out there.

I'd never seen a venomous snake before then, but that place was crawling with them. When told of that technique I quickly asked if anyone had done it, and the kid that said it just kind of shuffled his feet and "Naw", then a couple laughed and said "No Way!".

I asked if any of them knew anyone that did it, and they did name a name. He was an older kid, and a pretty tough character. Not the kind that'd be hanging out with punks like us. I met him before I went back home. I didn't ask him about that though. He looked to me like the kind of guy that might try that same technique on smartassed little yankees just for fun. eek

"You want to go where?"

#154743 - 09/16/11 04:06 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: billstephenson]
skcreidc Offline

Great story Bill laugh. Ah...to be a kid again. Clueless, but blissfully so. Balzaccom's comment

Quote:
This explains why so many snakebite victims in the US are young men....:^)

cracked me up and reminded me of a time before I was 10 and there were about 12 boys all looking for the holy grail of snakes (for us), the king snake. It was on a large road cut penetrated by many holes and a grassy area on top. We had seen a beautiful 4 ft king go into a hole. Half of us were jumping up and down at the top of the road cut (why we thought this would help I haven't a clue), and the other half were guarding the holes in the face while Donald (yea I still remember his name) had his whole arm in the hole the snake zipped into. Suddenly, Donald yells ouch, pulls his hand out with the king attached to it, and proclaims I got it! I think he drove his mom nutz.

#154746 - 09/16/11 04:42 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: skcreidc]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Now THAT is a great story! LOL

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#154753 - 09/16/11 07:45 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

That is funny!!! laugh laugh

"You want to go where?"

#154842 - 09/19/11 10:19 AM Re: Practice Hike [Re: skcreidc]
sjohnny Offline

Loc: Central Texas
It's amazing that any male lives past the age of 20.

#154879 - 09/20/11 12:07 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: skcreidc]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
Oh Donald...

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#155049 - 09/24/11 08:02 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: Paulo]
Gershon Offline

I went on a short 5.6 mile hike today with a new pack. A Osprey Talon 44. It's the first time I've used an internal frame pack. I packed for overnight with 21.5 pounds including food and water. It was real comfortable.

On the trail, I ran across one of the very first campsites in the National Forest system. There was an old Adirondack style shelter originally built in 1919, then rebuilt in 1989 after a flash flood.

The aspen are changing in Colorado. Unfortunately, there weren't many along this trail.

Edited by Gershon (09/24/11 08:03 PM)

#156505 - 10/31/11 08:50 AM Re: Practice Hike [Re: skcreidc]
nighttime Offline

next time increase your distance a little bit and carry more food and like they said above do an over nighter. I like my Danner combat boots. They are comfortable, but i don't know if they are water proof they are the desert type.

#156508 - 10/31/11 09:33 AM Re: Practice Hike [Re: Gershon]
Glenn Offline

You had SHOES??!!!

smile

#156528 - 10/31/11 08:11 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: Glenn]
Gershon Offline

You had SHOES??!!!

smile

Yeah, with pieces of cardboard to cover the holes my brother wore in them.

#156529 - 10/31/11 08:14 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: Gershon]
Glenn Offline

AND CARDBOARD?!

You rich folks had it easy! smile

#156531 - 10/31/11 09:19 PM Re: Practice Hike [Re: Glenn]
Gershon Offline

AND CARDBOARD?!

You rich folks had it easy! smile

Ok, you win. smile

(I had a bicycle, too.)

#156542 - 11/01/11 08:14 AM Re: Practice Hike [Re: Gershon]
Glenn Offline

Hey, if I didn't take these things to extremes, somebody would revoke my "old fart" card! smile

(I'm currently running the same "you had it easy" scam on a young man in our firm who is just now sitting for the CPE exam.)

#156547 - 11/01/11 10:38 AM Re: Practice Hike [Re: Glenn]
Gershon Offline

If we were women, we could talk about wearing skirts and freezing. Remember saddleshoes and plaid school uniforms? And how the nuns would yell at us if we looked up while going down the fire escape?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum