Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154159 - 08/29/11 11:48 PM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: Dryer]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Can I caveat this a wee bit: do watch out for the Svea flamethrower. It's quite impressive. eek

Cheers,

Originally Posted By Dryer

Watch out, Bill, the things are habit forming. They have the highest reliability rating of any stove made. No pump, and are as close to perpetual motion as you can get...mesmerizing to watch chuff to life. I've got three that span 60 years and the oldest works as good as the newest. I bought the first one at a church yard sale for $5 and it lit with the old fuel in the tank! As others have said, the nautical brass is just plain classy compared to ti or stainless steel. I do wish Optimus would come out with a modern light weight ti/aluminum version....they would own the market.

#154170 - 08/30/11 10:57 AM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Ah, we hit a good nerve here.:) Good to see others appreciate the vintage and older things.
Duane

#154179 - 08/30/11 03:49 PM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: billstephenson]
gon2srf Offline

Loc: Costa Mesa, CA
I am new to the forum and have recently reintroduced myself to backpacking, more importantly lightweight backpacking and came across this discussion. I was curious as to what a SVEA 123 looked like and was awestruck when I did a search on the net and saw the first image. This is the stove my father carried during years of backpacking trips with my brothers and I. Dad passed away some 20 years ago but I have this stove tucked away in the garage and can't wait to get home and pull it out. I love my Jetboil Sol but may have to bring the SVEA along on my next trip. Thanks for the memories guys.

#154180 - 08/30/11 03:52 PM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: gon2srf]
hikerduane Offline

Yes! Men/boys love to play with fire.:)

#154181 - 08/30/11 04:01 PM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: gon2srf]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
On the topic of ye olde stoves and use of same, be mindful of the stove's condition before firing it up. Seals can dry, shrink and crack, leading to fuel leaks or failure to pressurize. Also, don't overfill it with fuel (needs airspace to function) or get too zesty with preheating it. Even if it's not following the Dude Rules, find some instructions if you've never before operated one.

Very generally, simple stoves like the Svea or the self-presurizing Primus and Oltimus models are likely to work after a long sleep, but a fuel leak at the valve or the fuel cap might just make your day more interesting than you'd hoped.

Fire on,

#154182 - 08/30/11 04:30 PM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: Gershon]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
As you can tell many of us just have fond memories of the Svea. For many of us it was our original backpacking stove. It is slightly heavier than the current crop but it is probably one of the most dependable stoves ever built. I have no intention of parting with mine and and keep thinking about taking it along on a trip just for old times sake. I now use a SnoPeak most trips but when it give out and we have to part ways I will not be as upset as I would be if I my Svea died. The chances of the Svea dying are pretty remote. The chance of my SnoPeak dying are much greater.

#154188 - 08/30/11 07:11 PM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: Rick_D]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
On the topic of ye olde stoves and use of same, be mindful of the stove's condition before firing it up. Seals can dry, shrink and crack, leading to fuel leaks or failure to pressurize.

Having rebuilt all of mine I found:
1) the valve packing seal is carbon and very tiny. Don't lose it. They really don't wear out.
2) the filler cap gasket is replaceable with a scuba 'o' ring or piece of inner-tube in a pinch. The new stock ones are red silicon.
3) NEVER run your Svea out of fuel. The cotton mop wick will caramelize and fail.
4) Before disassembly for rebuilding, spray the plumbing bits down with wd-40 or other penetrating oil and let soak a day. Brass parts around the burner become annealed and quite soft. And seized.
5)Never shield your Svea...they need ventilation...or you'll experience the "flame thrower" effect or worse. Mine have never done this but I've heard stories.

A & H Enterprise had parts for all three of mine. Good company.
http://packstoves.net/cart/index.php?main_page=index

They've got some interesting Svea and Hunter R-8 stories. grin

#154314 - 09/05/11 05:02 PM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: Gershon]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Gershon (and others) I'm late with this one as usual, but thought I'd add my .02. I have a Svea that I have had since the late 1960s. It has had no serious maintenance but still sputters away very nicely. I still like to use it, though I don't go out in deep winter enough to justify having it in my pack. But canoeing and car camping still give it a reason to stay in my gear. I still start to salivate at the sound.

I also have a much older Borde "bomb" that I salvaged out of a WWII field sterilizing kit. I used it all the way on my first AT thru-hike about 15 years ago, and it worked beautifully. It's light, simple, and reasonably efficient. Even managed to get a new needle valve for it from the manufacturer in Switzerland (fortunately I can read a bit of German).

I can't imagine getting rid of either stove, even though I now use Esbit or alcohol. Best, jcp

#154400 - 09/07/11 09:24 AM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: JPete]
bigsac Offline

Loc: Sacramento CA
Like many others a Svea 123 was my first backpacking stove back in 1975. I bought it on the recommendation of backpacking authority Colin Fletcher. Remember him--the eccentric British backpacker who wrote the book "The Complete Walker"? That book was the hikers bible back then. The Svea served me well for many years, but I grew tired of the hassle of white gas and switched to canister stoves. Now I do mostly freezer bag cooking and use a Trail Designs Caldera Cone Sidewinder. I cannot find a better stove for my style of cooking. In My opinion the Svea 123, while a good stove in its time, is now a dinosaur and there are better options.

#154410 - 09/07/11 11:48 AM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: bigsac]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
A dinosaur? Well, maybe. I, too, have gone to a canister stove or alcohol for most of my excursions which now predominantly occur in fair weather.

Some years ago, my SAR team was facing an overnight hike on snowshoes to reach an exhausted hiker. Three of us were getting ready to go, carrying one Svea. My companion, said, this could save our lives, and tossed in another Svea in his pack. Gas stoves are still the best thing for cold weather situations. Yes, they are finicky, but when you absolutely, positively must have fire, nothing beats them. In my ooinion, the good old Svea, or its near relative the Primus 71, are as good as any out there.

#154423 - 09/07/11 04:19 PM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: Gershon]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I'll put it this way I contemplated selling mine . Someone even made me an offer and sent a check. I then offerd it to them for free . Under the condition that they used it. Once they told me that they were a collectlor and didnt intend to use it I couldn't find in my heart to box it up an ship it. I know I eventually will I'm just having a hard time sending such a great working stove off to sit on a shelf.

Ps. I never cashed sed buyers check, actually torched it. I still intend to send them the stove. Just after one last great memory making trip

Edited by Samoset (09/07/11 04:26 PM)

#154448 - 09/08/11 07:17 AM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: Samoset]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Yesterday, I went to a very small store to buy a couple caribiners for my hammock. Turns out the guy working was a hanger so he taught me a great suspension system which only cost $11.00. It was using straps to strap a kayak to a car. No stretch and very strong.

He had also been a backpacking instructor and climbing instructor at the local university. So we spent about 2 hours talking about my gear. Turns out we wear the same Keen shoes. He loved the Danner boots I bought.

When it got to the Svea, he said he loves his Jetboil. It's "lighter and easier to use." Well, I had my postal scale with me. (Does that mean I'm obsessive.) My Svea stove weighs 485 grams. The Jetboil without the cannister weighs 435 grams. It's also a LOT bigger. The jetboil pot is a lot bigger, but you can pour the water into a cup which attaches to the bottom. Since I like to cook food in the water as it's heating, that would mean two pots to clean.

Cannisters are convenient, but I'd end up with a bunch of half cannisters around, I guess. Or maybe weigh them and take the one I need based on the length of the trip. They are hard to get here.

Still, I could see he loved his Jetboil as much as I love my Svea, so I didn't say much.

#154449 - 09/08/11 08:49 AM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: Gershon]
hikerduane Offline

If you gotta analyze over using a classic, may need to just bring a newer stove. The Jetboil is a much faster boiler, but not designed for cooking, whereas the Svea will simmer and you get to see the flame. The oldies are fun, plus, other bpers etc. don't have one for a trip, so you'll be the only one using a classic. I just won an embossed Optimus 8 on the Bay last night. Cool! 52 stoves or so now. Or is that 53 now?
Duane

#154450 - 09/08/11 09:29 AM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: hikerduane]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By hikerduane
If you gotta analyze over using a classic, may need to just bring a newer stove. The Jetboil is a much faster boiler, but not designed for cooking, whereas the Svea will simmer and you get to see the flame. The oldies are fun, plus, other bpers etc. don't have one for a trip, so you'll be the only one using a classic. I just won an embossed Optimus 8 on the Bay last night. Cool! 52 stoves or so now. Or is that 53 now?
Duane

Chuckles, saying I overanalyze is an understatement. This summer, I've replaced EVERYTHING but the stove, cell phone, and the SPOT transmitter. I've had the last couple weeks off, so I spent it analyzing and cut my pack weight in half (even getting rid of the pack.) The SVEA is the only thing that withstood both the tests of equal or better functionality and lower weight.

#154452 - 09/08/11 10:59 AM Re: Svea 123 R stove - get rid of it? [Re: Gershon]
hikerduane Offline

smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 192 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum