Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154032 - 08/26/11 12:53 AM Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's
Kind_Head Offline

So I am very fresh to the whole backpacking thing. Im 20 Years old from the Twin Cities, MN. Ive always loved the outdoors and camping. But it wasnt until about last month that I decided I was going to build up enough gear for a week in Northern Minnesota. Either somewhere in the Boundary Waters or Part of the Superior Hiking Trail.

So I figured I would start with the pack. I bought the latest model of the Gregory Baltoro 65. After trying on several packs I always came back to the Gregory. I found it to be by far the most comfort.

Sleeping Bag - Mountain Hardware Lamina 35 degree. The synthetic version which I found to be extremely lightweight and amazing quality for the price. Got it on sale for 99.99, And after compression it gets down to about the size of an average hiking boot. Extremely happy with it so far in the warmer weather. I have faith it will hold up just fine during the fall seasons as well.

Tent. Where most of my long hours of research has lied smile

So My grandpa gave me his old tent as a gift a while back.. and it has treated me soo well. An ollld Eureka 2p. easy set up.. small and fairly lightweight. Until recently the floor started going out, which isnt surprising since its like 10 years old.
So I began my research. Which lead me to the Nemo Meta 2p. I knew I wanted to have the best and didnt really care what i had to pay. with the weight(under 3lbs) and the Interior/vestibule space I was sold. I order the tent tomorrow through a friend who was nice enough to let me use her REI employee discount.
Question - being as it is a single wall tent I have heard multiple people say there is some condensation issues when its all battoned down. Most say they expected it and its not a big enough problem to really bother them. - If anyone owns the tent and has a more personalized review thad be awesome!

Trekking Poles - Since the Nemo is held up by trekking poles I figured Id start hiking with poles!! lol.
Black Diamond Carbon Cork. Which also just went on sale i think 25% off REI.
They get great reviews and seem like a good price.. If anyone has some input on these id love to hear it.

Stove/Cookware. - Snowpeak Lightmax stove.

I could use some advice on cooksets. I am almost 99% set on the GSI bugaboo backpacker set. I originally was looking into lighter weight more minimal sets. But I realized I would really like to have a pot AND a skillet that all fit together into one package with my fuel/stove. The reason for the pan is I do a lot of car camping too and I want to be able to cook a full breakfast.. eggs bacon hashbrowns if need be. there are 2 bowls and 2 cups included but people say ditch the bowls, use the space for fuel, and go pick up a small plate/bowl

any shared experience with this set or others similar would be great

Headlamp - Black Diamond Headstorm

Camping Tools - Im just going to get the Leatherman Wave. I am not concerned about the weight of my tool so much. Being somewhat inexperienced Its nice to have piece of mind in having 16 tools for any situation.
-Standard Compass/topo maps

Water Filtration - MSR Miniworks EX. Another piece of gear I have yet to buy but I am set on getting very soon. I like that you are able to pump water on the up and down motions.

To start fires I will rely on the Ultimate Survival Strike Force. Its suppose to last pretty much forever.. and can get wet.

First Aid - I could use a little help with this. I will probably just get one from REI and add a few things. Not sure what to add really. But want to be prepared for any serious infections.. open wounds, even a headache or sore muscles.

Sleeping Pad - I have an old thermarest but it is very old. (Given to me along with that ol' tent) Great pad. I actually lived in a apt for a year with no bed and just slept on that. So when Im out on the trail its like home again. But its just too big and heavy. I have been looking into the Big Agnes Air Core but I am open to suggestions!

Shoe - I have been looking for an affordable shoe that I can also wear out on the town as well. I wear sanuks every day of the week so I really loved the feel of the Patagonia Olulu how you can really feel the ground below you. I dont like big soles. But I figured if I wanna be a more serious hiker I should probably look into a more serious shoe??
I tried on the patagonia Scree Shield. Loved the way it felt. I need something affordable at this point cuz the shoe is the last thing that I will probably buy.
maybe some gortex socks to go with them.

That pretty much covers my list of gear. Some of it hasnt been purchased yet but I plan to be on the trail by late october or early Nov. Tent and cooking supplies I will be getting in the next couple of days.
I chose a lot of gear that i figured would not have to be replaced for some time. I am interested to hear any experiences with some of the same stuff. Do you have any advice for me? places to go in Minnesota? What to eat on the trail? Anything that could help me out!

Please if anyone here owns the NEMO Meta.. I really want to know how its working out for people.

Thanks so much for reading.. I hope that wasnt too long for a first time poster =P

#154037 - 08/26/11 07:49 AM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: Kind_Head]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Sounds like you've done a pretty good first pass at gear selection - however, if (when) you decide to go lighter, you'll replace most of it. That's OK - in fact, for some of us, it's part of the hobby.

A couple of specific comments:

The Miniworks is a great filter. I've been philandering on mine lately with an MSR Hyperflow to save half a pound - I'm becoming more confident in it, but at the first hint of problems, I'm going back to the Miniworks.

First aid kit: you'll probably do better by going to the drug store and buying components. The problem with pre-packed kits is they contain some stuff you'll never use. (By the way, there's no sense in carrying anything in the kit you don't know HOW to use!) My current kit, kept in a quart-size ziploc bag, consists of moleskin, some bandaids, Ibuprofen, a few gauze pads and some cloth tape, Benadryl tablets, an elastic bandage, scissors, nail clippers, tweezers, and a small tube of Neosporin. I've never needed anything else. CAVEAT: that's my personal kit, for solo hiking. If you're leading a group, you'll want a larger kit (and the Red Cross or Wilderness First Responder certifications to be able to use it.)

Have good trips!

Edited by Glenn (08/26/11 07:50 AM)

#154039 - 08/26/11 12:53 PM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: Glenn]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I am always wary of people who ask for advice AFTER they've already bought a lot of stuff. Are you looking for validation?

Sure, the stuff you bought will work, mostly.

Are you asking if this is what WE would have bought?

Almost certianly no---for lots of reasons: weight, cost, suitablility for our trips.

Now that we have that out of the way....

Fire starter? BIC lighters. 2. Way easier, way more dependable.

Leatherman? What piece of equipment are you going to fix with pliers, a screwdriver, etc? This is a serious question. Your camping stuff is made of nylon. A leatherman is dead weight.

If you want to see what we WOULD bring on a trip, check out our website...or check reference materials on this site.

Edited by balzaccom (08/26/11 12:54 PM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#154041 - 08/26/11 02:01 PM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: Kind_Head]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
To be brutally frank: You have committed the classic beginner's mistake of buying "traditional" heavy--and expensive--gear. This is a lightweight backpacking site, and, as our motto says, "Packing light is more fun!" It also lets you hike farther, faster and without the inevitable stress injuries that come from carrying a heavy pack. As already mentioned, after a few trips with the heavy stuff you'll want to get rid of it and go with something lighter and more comfortable.

Please don't buy anything more--and save the receipts and tags for what you already have--until you have read the articles on the home page of this site. This will give you a lot of ideas.

From reading reviews, I've noted that Nemo tents are not very well ventilated and are therefore prone to condensation. You might want to look at other makes of single-wall tents or lightweight double-wall tents from the "cottage" manufacturers such as Tarptent, Six Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs, Bearpaw and others. Some of these are "modular" style tents consisting of a tarp and a separate net tent. You buy them separately but they are meant to go together. Of course you can use just the tarp or just the net tent if you prefer, which gives you more options. You also set the tarp up first, which means the net tent and floor won't get wet if it's raining when you pitch or take down your shelter. Please look at these many and varied options and read some reviews before you order the Nemo.

The one other item I'd add is that for northern Minnesota in late fall, you definitely will want something quite a bit warmer than a 35 degree sleeping bag. I'm shivering just thinking about it! You also will want a pad, probably an insulated air pad, that is insulated to an R value of approximately 5. You will freeze below 40*F with the BA Air Core or any other uninsulated air pad.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/26/11 02:08 PM)

#154044 - 08/26/11 04:40 PM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: OregonMouse]
Kind_Head Offline

Hey thanks for the input and taking time to read!

I dont see how the things I am buying are heavy. Okay so you make a good point with the leatherman... I'll Probably just go with a good knife. I just bought the GSI outdoors micro dualist today. Which is pretty lightweight. I know for a minimalist maybe not.. I know I could get lighter with buying just a cup, bowl, and a pot. But I got it on sale for 40 bucks, cant beat that! And I can fit my stove my fuel and all the bowls/cups inside the pot.

I ordered the Nemo Today. Everything I am buying is from REI so it is 100% Satisfaction. If the ventilation is truly an issue I will just simply exchange it =). But its one of the lighter tents on the market until you go down to a 1p. I wanted a 2person tent incase I have a girl friend along.. or even a good buddy.

I know my backpack isnt the lightest weight either but I was not going to sacrifice weight for comfort when getting a pack. The lighter Ospreys I tried I didnt like one bit.

Other than that though where can I improve on my weight? I am pretty sure after its all said and done I can keep it within 20-25 pounds with food and all. Probably less after some supplies are split up between people.

Good point with the fire starter too I suppose I can just use a lighter. The starter is very heavy, I just thought I wouldnt want to worry about a lighter going out or whatever.

So scratch the fire starter and the big hunkin leatherman. Thats a fair amount of weight.. besides my cookset where else is there to improve???

#154046 - 08/26/11 05:44 PM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: Kind_Head]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Kind_Head
...Sleeping Bag - Mountain Hardware Lamina 35 degree. The synthetic version which I found to be extremely lightweight and amazing quality for the price. Got it on sale for 99.99, And after compression it gets down to about the size of an average hiking boot. Extremely happy with it so far in the warmer weather. I have faith it will hold up just fine during the fall seasons as well.

it may be cheap but its 2lb 4oz for a 35°F bag. You could cut that weigh in half with a down bag. It will be expensive, but a pound is a lot of weight to cut.

Trekking Poles - Since the Nemo is held up by trekking poles I figured Id start hiking with poles!! lol.

You bought a tent that requires trekking poles before you even found out if you like using trekking poles? Sounds a little backwards to me. Try out the trekking poles before you buy the tent.

I could use some advice on cooksets. I am almost 99% set on the GSI bugaboo backpacker set. I originally was looking into lighter weight more minimal sets. But I realized I would really like to have a pot AND a skillet that all fit together into one package with my fuel/stove. The reason for the pan is I do a lot of car camping too and I want to be able to cook a full breakfast.. eggs bacon hashbrowns if need be. there are 2 bowls and 2 cups included but people say ditch the bowls, use the space for fuel, and go pick up a small plate/bowl

How much do the parts you want weigh? One thing I found out early on, getting dual purpose hiking/car camping equipment is never a good idea. You end up replacing the item twice pretty quickly. Pick up a cheap frying pan from Walmart or Ikea for car camping and get a separate equipment only for backpacking.

Water Filtration - MSR Miniworks EX. Another piece of gear I have yet to buy but I am set on getting very soon. I like that you are able to pump water on the up and down motions.

Steripens and/or tablets are lighter

First Aid - I could use a little help with this. I will probably just get one from REI and add a few things. Not sure what to add really. But want to be prepared for any serious infections.. open wounds, even a headache or sore muscles.

The prepackaged sets are expensive and have too much stuff in them. The best advice I ever heard was don't put something in your first aide kit, if you don't know how to use it.

Sleeping Pad - I have an old thermarest but it is very old. (Given to me along with that ol' tent) Great pad. I actually lived in a apt for a year with no bed and just slept on that. So when Im out on the trail its like home again. But its just too big and heavy. I have been looking into the Big Agnes Air Core but I am open to suggestions!

BA's seem heavy to me for what they are. Check out Neo air, kookabay, and pacific outdoor equipment.

Shoe - I have been looking for an affordable shoe that I can also wear out on the town as well. I wear sanuks every day of the week so I really loved the feel of the Patagonia Olulu how you can really feel the ground below you. I dont like big soles. But I figured if I wanna be a more serious hiker I should probably look into a more serious shoe??
I tried on the patagonia Scree Shield. Loved the way it felt. I need something affordable at this point cuz the shoe is the last thing that I will probably buy.

You should always try on any shoe you are going to buy. I am starting to buy into the standard advice on here to drop the heavy hiking boot and go with trail runners.

maybe some gortex socks to go with them.

Why? The best way to keep your feet dry is to let the air out. Gortex only keeps your feet wet.

#154048 - 08/26/11 07:50 PM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: Kind_Head]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
The first thing to acquire for your first aid kit is training. When you are trained, you can assemble a small, light, and useful kit that will be augmented by the other standard items in your kit. Knowledge is the ultimate lightweight item - for first aid and other outdoor skills as well.

#154050 - 08/26/11 08:48 PM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: Kind_Head]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Quote:
I dont see how the things I am buying are heavy.

Please read the articles on the home page of this site that I linked for you, most of which are about gear selection. Check the websites for the "cottage" manufacturers that I mentioned. It's with those "cottage" manufacturers selling on the internet that the true innovations in backpacking gear are taking place, not at REI, that bastion of heavy "traditional" gear. The ones I listed are all reputable firms.

Just for comparison, here's my "Big 4": Pack, from Six Moon Designs, 29 oz.; tent, from Gossamer Gear, 27 oz.; 20* sleeping bag, Western Mountaineering, 25 oz., pad, a 3.5" thick R5 insulated air pad from Kooka Bay, 13 oz. All except the sleeping bag) are from the "cottage" manufacturers. All of them are extremely comfortable--they have to be because I'm an old lady with arthritis and a tricky back. My total "Big 4" weight is the same as your pack alone.

There are many, many brands of packs besides Gregory and Osprey. You should be able to find a comfortable pack that weighs far less than the Baltoro. You certainly shouldn't need a pack that weighs more than 3-4 lbs. Did you try any of the packs from Granite Gear? Deuter? The REI Flash? One "cottage" manufacturer you definitely should check out is ULA-Equipment.com. Do remember that the pack really should not be purchased until after you've acquired your other gear. The pack not only needs to fit you but also needs to fit your gear (neither too big nor too small) and support its weight.

Please read those articles and look at some lightweight gear lists before you purchase any more gear! Here's a gear list with a lot of alternatives from a gear dealer who lives close to my home. Several of the regulars on this forum, such as balzaccom and phat, have links to their gear lists. You can find many others by googling, but I suggest you not try to emulate the ultralight (under 10 lbs. base weight) category until you've had a lot of experience.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/26/11 08:56 PM)

#154061 - 08/27/11 08:22 AM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: OregonMouse]
lori Offline

You are doing exactly what I did seven years ago, when I was getting back into the game after many years of not backpacking. "I don't see what's so heavy in my pack." Like me, you will see after the first trip.

You've got articles and other advice, so I will offer bits and pieces that others haven't.

Go try out the gear in the backyard or car camping first. Don't make your first use of things a multi-night trip. You'll wish you hadn't. Trust me on that.

Don't go solo until you figure out your tolerances and get some skills (first aid, awareness of the Big Three - dehydration, hypothermia, high altitude sickness - and navigation), and get the gear figured out. Find hiking buddies or groups.

The Nemo Meta 2P is one of the handful of tents I've slept in. The walls are too sloped - sitting up means banging your head. We slept with the doors wide open and the bugnets shut, so no experience with condensation - but had we been out in the rain, I've no doubt that like any other PU coated nylon in the world, once zipped up the moisture would start to gather. That isn't why the tent is a bad idea... The vents we propped open by guying them out with found sticks propping up the line to get more ventilation. A 3 lb tent for just you is heavy. There are many non-freestanding models that are much lighter than that.

That sleeping bag is probably not accurately rated - some of my SAR teammates got variously-rated Lamina bags on a prodeal and report that they are not true to spec. I always take my 20 oz, 20F down quilt and never regret it.

When I went on my first overnight trip seven years ago, I carried an overloaded Osprey Aura 50 (in the wrong size, for starters) for 10 miles out, 10 miles back. Pretty much figured out that I had the wrong shoes, the wrong pack, and the wrong ideas about what I needed. I managed to get so dehydrated that I crossed three creeks - after running out of water - without stopping for a drink. I cried all the way back out. (This is why I suggest not hiking solo for a while - when you are so dehydrated you can't think, you don't even understand that! Someone else can recognize the change in you where you won't. Saying you just won't get dehydrated is like saying you won't get lost... you can't really guarantee this, no matter who you are or how much you know.) I had blisters from toe to heel due to letting some shoe guy who hadn't a clue sell me hiking shoes that didn't fit right. To add insult to injury, I didn't realize I'd picked up a tick, and ended up on two courses of antibiotics to treat a massive rash.

I have attached a picture of my pack for tomorrow's overnight trip. Again, I am going 10 miles out, 10 miles back. Unlike the first trip, I do not have an overpacked 50 liter pack that weighs 35 lbs and doesn't fit right. I am using my 40 liter Gregory Jade, which is also the pack I use for SAR. My tent weighs 22 oz, and my quilt about the same. My NeoAir weighs 13 oz. Total weight WITH 2 liters of water, two pounds of food, a small bear canister, and the GPS that I really don't need to take is 23 lbs - and the pack by itself weighs 3 lbs.

The green stuff sack is my quilt, not stuffed as small as it will go - I don't like to completely compress things if I don't have to, it has the potential of damaging the insulation. The gray sack next to it is the tent, a Tarptent Sublite. The smaller gray sack next to that is the NeoAir, not even stuffed as compact as it can be. Orange sack is clothing including a down jacket. Stove kit (blue rimmed round object next to the Natrapel) is a bowl, cup, stove, windscreen, lighter, sport, pot lifter, fuel bottle and pot with lid - weighs 10.5 oz for the entire kit. Black case is my glacier glasses. Black canister with red striping on the left is my bear canister. Green stuff sack is my gravity filter (10 oz, a ULA Amigo Pro with a Platypus clean stream filter unit) and a 2 liter platypus bladder. Oh, and the head net - bugs are going nuts out there. On the right, fishing gear, and in the middle GPS, represent an additional 2.5 - 3 lbs of weight I could leave out but am taking anyway. Blue sack in the middle is my hygiene bag, emergency stuff (repair kit, spare cord, firestarter, extra bic lighter, first aid kit, batteries for headlamp) and six water purification tablets to back up the filter.

The shoes I am wearing fit me like gloves and have more than 100 miles of dayhiking on them to make sure that I won't blister. The layered clothing (including gloves and a hat) I am taking will take me below the anticipated temps (about freezing, at night). I won't have blisters, won't be dehydrated, and won't cry my way back to the car because I have learned - when something hurts, stop and fix it. When you are planning the trip research water sources and don't neglect filling up at regular intervals. Eat often, drink in sips and frequently, wear good wool/wool blend socks (cotton socks chop up my feet and hold moisture which promotes blisters), always always always hold judgment on whether a pack fits until you have worn it for some miles while full - my first pack was wonderful in the store, but by the end of my first trip I felt like I'd packed a truck in it! Oh, my hips hurt....

Lastly, don't get attached to using gear that doesn't really work. The only thing I still have from my first trip was the stove I took. The rest has been sold to fund gear that really works for me.

My next pack will probably be a ULA pack - I've tried one on, and because they will comfortably carry a bear canister (required most of the time for me) and have different sizes of belt (I sometimes require a small pack with a medium hip belt, depending on the pack), and they are domestically made and lighter than the "ultralight" 3 lb mainstream packs (3 lbs is not a light pack!!!), it'll be the next major gear purchase for me. I have the Gregory because it is the sort of pack that survives being thrown out of a helicopter - something I've done three times so far this year.

As for the cooking gear you list... it's too heavy. You're getting a set to cook with and a stove with a narrow flame best suited to boiling water. A wide flame pattern suited to frying and cooking is usually going to mean a heavier stove. And your food weight will increase with the intent to cook on the trail - the lightest food you'll be able to manage is the kind you don't have to cook - just-add-water meals. I dehydrate meals and use recipes from trailcooking.com quite happily. Friends don't let friends buy Mountain House. grin

Speaking of food... get to know the regulations for food storage and plan for bear canisters *from a list of approved models* depending on your destination. In California I get to haul a canister into the mountains a good deal of the time - fortunately the smallest and lightest, the Bare Boxer, is also the cheapest model on the approved list for the national parks.

Look at Six Moon Designs, Gossamer Gear, ULA and Zpacks before you decide your gear isn't heavy! You'll only find them online. I have Gossamer Gear trekking poles and have had one of their packs - good stuff, excellent customer support.

Attachments
pack.jpg

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#154065 - 08/27/11 10:28 AM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: lori]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I would like to echo Lori's suggest to start with something a lot easier than a one-week solo hike. And yes, even though we have a TON of experience, we almost always test any piece of equipment in the backyard before we take it on the trail.

But one note in defence of the OP....he is hiking in Minnesota. No altitude sickness to worry about!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#154067 - 08/27/11 02:01 PM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: Kind_Head]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Kind Head

I own a GSI bugaboo cook set - the 4 pot w/frying pan lid set. I bought it for car camping years ago to get the size of our pot and pans down and inside a campbox (for car camping).

As a compromise piece (for car camping and backpacking) it isn't terrible - which isn't the same as saying that it is well adapted to your purpose.

The frying pans are thin, so it is easy to burn stuff in them. I often bring a good frying pan car camping if I know I'm going to fry something.

The pots are heavy for backpacking. The 4 cup pot (amount it will hold up to the rivets - I measured) weighs 9 oz. They work great for my original intended purpose, and are an ok peice for backpacking until I find something better - and there are a lot of pots out there designed for boiling water that are lighter, which defines goodness in this case.

I wouldn't buy them as a mess kit, b/c the pans are nonstick coated and will get messed up in a boy scout environment where you use knives to cut up your food.

That said, if you've already bought the pot, it will work to get you out on the trail, where you can learn and make adjustments.

Recommend you buy a scale and make a spreadsheet with your gear and what it weighs (really weighs, not manufacturer's weight) before you buy anything else. I am working through this process based on advice given here on this forum before I buy any more major peices of gear, or replace anything to improve it.

Keep asking questions, and keep listening. There are good people here who can help you get to Mecca - I'm just one of the blind trying to find a way.

Sincerely

Steadman

Edited by Steadman (08/27/11 02:06 PM)

#154072 - 08/27/11 04:29 PM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: Kind_Head]
Kind_Head Offline

Thanks Lori for the excellent information. For the record I will not be going solo. I will be with a handful of pretty experienced people.
As far as staying hydrated goes... I will be in northern MN, If you look at a map of the boundary waters or the superior hiking trail, you would see keeping hydrated is not a difficult thing. Land of 10,000 lakes!
I dont think I will have a hard time staying comfortable. Maybe my pack will be a bit heavy the first couple times out.. but I will slowly improve it. Especially with all the great advice on this forum. This is why I got everything at REI because no matter how worn out it is I can return it if I am not satisfied.
Also.. I wont be just getting all this new gear and hitting the trail. I will be going camping several times with everything first. I already have a couple weekend trips planned, and ofcourse the first thing I will do is spend a couple nights in the backyard. How can you sleep in a bed when you get a brand new tent in the mail?!?!

Steadman - thanks for your concerns on the cookset. I actually ended up getting the GSI MicroDualist. I thought about it and the pot on the bugaboo is so big it would be such a waste of fuel to have to boil water in it. I might pick up an MSR Skillet down the road if I feel the need.

thanks again for the advice people! I will continue to check out these various brands and websites, and keep an open mind about maybe exchanging some gear.

#154103 - 08/29/11 07:59 AM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: Kind_Head]
lori Offline

As far as staying hydrated goes... I will be in northern MN, If you look at a map of the boundary waters or the superior hiking trail, you would see keeping hydrated is not a difficult thing. Land of 10,000 lakes!

You know, I know I made it sound like water availibility was the critical thing. It's not. It's that you will drink less than you need, not realize it, and get dehydrated. I still do that myself - I just got back from a mostly-alpine outing. I drank seven liters in 2 days of hiking, and I'm still playing catch up.

The tendency is to keep hiking and paying attention to other things, like the animals and scenery, and not drink enough. You won't feel thirsty before you're dehydrated. So keep sipping and don't underestimate.

Edited by lori (08/29/11 07:59 AM)

#154106 - 08/29/11 09:06 AM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Excellent point, Lori. I usually don't have a problem remembering to drink in the summer, since it's hot and humid and I get thirsty easily because I'm sweating a lot.

However, in the winter, when I don't sweat, I frequently find myself forgetting to drink. That leads to the same condition: dehydration. I find it more problematic in winter, because it affects my ability to stay warm. Sometimes, in the middle of the night, if I find I'm chilly, I'll drink some water, and it seems to help.

#154169 - 08/30/11 09:53 AM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: Glenn]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Time to toss my list in. Some really good advice in this thread. I picked 4 days for a trip length as it takes that long to really find flaws in gear, and I can generally resupply every 4 days.

The pack is a design of mine comfortable up to 35 pounds. It makes use of other needed gear to make a waterproof bag, so it's just a couple straps and 8 inches of parachute cord. I've used a similar design on a 2 week unsupported trip and it works great, although it doesn't have all the fancy pockets.

I don't have a tarp tent picked out yet. Food is 1.5 lb a day minus breakfast on the first day and evening meals on the last day.

Oops, I made a spreadsheet error for those who might have seen this before. Now I'm down to 25.58 pounds, and I haven't even drilled holes in my toilet paper yet.

Edited by Gershon (08/30/11 12:47 PM)

#154177 - 08/30/11 12:58 PM Re: Review this newbies gearlist.. answer some Q's [Re: Glenn]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
Excellent point, Lori. I usually don't have a problem remembering to drink in the summer, since it's hot and humid and I get thirsty easily because I'm sweating a lot.

This last trip, we climbed 4000+ feet, over alpine rocky slopes, and it was upper 70s - low 80s F - one guy had nothing but a single water bottle. Granted, we passed stream after spring after stream after spring - but he got to camp feeling awful. It was probably also elevation (10,000+ feet) but staying hydrated helps so much with that. He actually threw up and didn't eat dinner. In the morning he made up for that, eating and drinking, but I suspect he is feeling sore and playing catch up this week.

I was feeling a little dry mouthed and kept the water coming - and still drank and drank and drank water at the post-backpack pizza feed. But I was not sore, as I would have been back when I didn't mind my intake, nor was I having headache or other symptoms I used to have often. I've learned the difference between headaches - I've had migraines, cluster headache, sinus headache, dehydration headache - all of them a little different in onset and symptom presentation. All of them occur less frequently now that I have a bunch of trail nights under my belt and I have more self awareness.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum