Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153249 - 07/30/11 04:56 PM Harvest 2011
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I am sure our southernly neighbors have been knee deep into their harvest for quite some time. I tried a few new things this year, with mixed success. The usual suspects have been doing well, lettuce, tomatoes, green beans. The brocolli was ok, the pea pods not so well. The few i got were great. Just not to many. The peppers are coming in nicely. I had a few bulbs of garlic that were tremendous. Still waiting on the root vegetables for the fall. Last year the beets didn't fare to well. Hopefully this year will be better. apples seem to be looking good on the tree. No photos sorry.

#153452 - 08/06/11 12:22 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: DTape]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
That is great DTape. Love fresh veggies. Especially fresh tomatoes. I go insane for them! Do you try cold frames for fall crops? Or do anything in greenhouses?

I wish I had the time and the "staying in one place throughout the summer" so I could have started my own garden. But the way this summer was for me it would have been neglected and died. Though I do have a strawberry patch that is doing well.

#153476 - 08/07/11 07:30 AM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: GDeadphans]
DTape Offline

I need to learn more about cold frames. I would like to use them to extend my growing season. I have covered some unharvested root vegetables with straw and let the snow cover it and was then able to harvest some more in the spring. This past year was my first year trying it. Was quite successful with the turnips and carrots. Would love to eventually get a berry patch but I am not sure if all the wildlife here would allow the fruit to ripen before they consumed it.

#153494 - 08/07/11 09:36 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: DTape]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
We started out fast as usual. I had tomatoes by Memorial day. Still getting a few and plants are hanging in there despite what may go down as the worst drought and hottest summer in our history. We have had 55 days over 100 with the last week averaging 107. No rain or relief in sight. I have had less than 4" of rain since 1/1, and usually have over 24" by now.

#153539 - 08/08/11 11:38 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: scottyb]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Man, those look sooo good!

I've got huge tomato plants, but not one tomato yet. Bugs have ravaged them. All my neighbors have been reduced to Sevin Dusting, but I've refused. This garden will be all organic and I'll learn how to deal with what comes along to keep it that way, even if I don't get any tomatoes frown

I think I'll probably get some green tomatoes here in the Fall. I'll let them ripen in the widow sills if I do. They'll still be really tasty, but it sucks not getting any right now.

But.... I have come up with a plan to deal the bugs while watching them attack my garden. It will cost me some money, and my garden budget is spent already for this year, but here it is.

I have a timer that I can connect up to 4 water hoses onto and control them all separately. Right now I only use two that are connected to soaker hoses that are run just on top of the raised beds.

What I need to do is connect a water hose that picks up the organic bug repellent made from soap, veggie oil, and pepper juice, from a 5 gal bucket and then pipe it into misters mounted on PVC pipes that sit over top and under the plants.

That bug repellent works pretty good, but it doesn't last long, washes off in just a bit of rain, and cannot be applied in direct sun. But if I make 5 gallons at a time and hook it up to be sprayed with that timer I can keep it pretty well applied and not have to think about it.

I still need to thank whoever it was here that recommended adding peppers to that mix. thanks goodjob

I did manage to get a couple good cantaloupes, but only because I sprayed them enough to keep the turtles from getting to them. They really don't like that peppery taste, and they remembered it too laugh

My cucumbers have done amazing though. We've gotten over 50 quarts of pickles put up right now, given at least 3 quarts away already, and eaten another 3-4 with friends. And I've given lots of cucumbers away that were table size too. This year I've done pretty good at picking them while they're still small though, so I have more "Baby Pickles" than ever before. They are the real "Gourmet" pickles of the bunch!

My "Keg-O-Rater" is filled with pickles wink

The first batches are just really getting of age now, but none have survived the 30-60 days your supposed to let them age. The problem is similar to home brewed beer. You should let it set for a couple months at least, but you can't wait that long to taste it, and it taste so good after just a couple weeks that it's hard to have any left after that long blush

In another week a bunch of them will be prime time though, and we'll give about 20 quarts away to friends and neighbors over the next couple weeks. After that I'll tell them they cost $20 a quart grin

"You want to go where?"

#153557 - 08/09/11 07:11 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: billstephenson]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By billstephenson
I've got huge tomato plants, but not one tomato yet. ....

The huge tomato plants don't produce as many tomatoes. In essence, the plant can either grow stems and leaves or tomatoes. If you cut back the plant you may have a better chance of getting some tomatoes before it gets cold.

...we'll give about 20 quarts away to friends and neighbors over the next couple weeks. After that I'll tell them they cost $20 a quart grin

Are you a gardener or a drug dealer? I guess sometimes in life you can be both.

#153563 - 08/09/11 10:41 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: BZH]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'm not trying to grow any, but if anyone west of the Cascades is able to produce any tomatoes, I'll be very surprised. It has been a far cooler summer than normal, and it's now predicted that there will be no 90* F days in August (almost unheard of). Even in a normal year, it's hard to grow tomatoes around here (they don't like nights in the low to mid 50's F), and this year is more like the ice age out here. No local corn, either!

Supposedly the cool weather conditions out here are closely related to the heat you folks back east are having, and we both would dearly love this to change!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/09/11 10:44 PM)

#153572 - 08/10/11 08:15 AM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: OregonMouse]
scottyb Offline

Quote:
I'll be very surprised. It has been a far cooler summer than normal, and it's now predicted that there will be no 90* F days in August (almost unheard of).

The difference this year is, it seems like the benchmark is really 105 instead of 100. If anybody kept track of it, I bet we have already shattered the record number of days over 105. We have had nearly two weeks of 105+.

My tomatoes are not really setting new fruit right now but the growing heads look healthy. When it cools to mid 90's, they should do well again and maybe I'll have tomatoes until Thanksgiving, like the past few years.

Edited by scottyb (08/10/11 08:18 AM)

#153595 - 08/10/11 09:42 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: BZH]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
I've got huge tomato plants, but not one tomato yet. ....

The huge tomato plants don't produce as many tomatoes. In essence, the plant can either grow stems and leaves or tomatoes. If you cut back the plant you may have a better chance of getting some tomatoes before it gets cold.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try, nothing to lose, that's for sure. My supports collapsed about 3-4 weeks ago and now, where the stems of plants have been lying on the ground, they're starting to set roots. I've read that's not good. Next year I'll do better!

...we'll give about 20 quarts away to friends and neighbors over the next couple weeks. After that I'll tell them they cost $20 a quart grin

Originally Posted By BZH
Are you a gardener or a drug dealer? I guess sometimes in life you can be both.

laugh laugh

The guy that taught me how to make these pickles really did that. He'd come by every summer and offer a few free samples, and after you had a taste it was only a few days before the cravings for more started creeping into your dreams. Back then (20 years ago) he sold them for $20 a gallon, and couldn't keep up with the demand!

"You want to go where?"

#153598 - 08/10/11 10:23 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Supposedly the cool weather conditions out here are closely related to the heat you folks back east are having, and we both would dearly love this to change!

We finally got a break from the heat these past couple days, and we've had some dearly needed rain too.

Last week I was carrying 5 gallon buckets of water out to trees I've planted a couple years ago and the ground was soaking it up so fast I couldn't even make a puddle. Today, after a some good, long, hard showers the past few days, we finally have some wet spots on the gravel road leading to our house. I actually wore a light jacket this morning while having coffee on the deck with my wife. That was a pleasant change from the intense heat as soon as the sun rose.

I'm pretty sure we'll get another round of intense heat this month, but the rain we've had will keep the trees and other plants from dying before the end of summer.

I'll tell you though, if these weather patterns keep up, we may be out there looking for a summer retreat. I'd love it, get to do some summer backpacking, not so sure about my wife though wink

"You want to go where?"

#153600 - 08/10/11 10:59 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: billstephenson]
scottyb Offline

I have great concern for some live oak motts in my pasture. They never really put on new leaves after the spring shed, and have looked half dead all summer. They have done this before during the 2009 drought, but seemed to bounce back during the heavy rainfall year of 2010. This year is different and they look much worse. I hope the best for these native trees.

BTW, most of the records, daily highs, consecutive days over 100, and total days over 100 were set in 1925 and 1923 respectively.

#153668 - 08/12/11 09:29 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: scottyb]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I'm having some new potatoes tonight, eating carrots now, corn should be ready in a few more weeks, maters and hot peppers are green, lettuce is getting bitter.

#153780 - 08/17/11 01:35 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: billstephenson]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Turtles eat cantaloupes, seriously?

We had turtles back in Michigan (mostly snapping) and G.ma and G.pa lived near a swamp and never had a turtle infestation problem with the garden.

Please post pictures of pest turtles! =)

#153782 - 08/17/11 02:43 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: Heather-ak]
billstephenson Offline

I suppose that technically, they are probably a tortoise. I haven't seen them, almost never do. They hide in burrows they make in the mulch I have in the garden. Last summer, after most of the garden had died down, I took my mower in there and started chopping weeds down. I found one that way when the blade whacked it on the back. I thought I'd hit a rock. He was shook up, but still okay, and I relocated him outside the fence.

Earlier this growing season I found a gap in my fencing where the gate is hinged. I suspect one found their way in through that this year.

They eat my cucumbers, take bites out of low hanging tomatoes, munch on my melons, and most anything out there. Rabbits sometimes get in there too, but a turtle will gnaw a 2 or 3 inch hole in the side of a melon and then eat all the yummy insides and leave nothing more than a shell with that hole in it. They can stretch their necks pretty darn far when they want another bite of a cantaloupe laugh

I'm always looking for their dens, if I find one I'll snap a pic and post it.

"You want to go where?"

#154083 - 08/27/11 10:50 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

Ahhh! First corn of the season went in my belly tonight, along with some green beans. A nice vegetarian dinner except for the butter. Love it. I'm hoping to freeze some corn next weekend when I get back from OR.

A family of quail have managed despite me to raise a family, as the first nest I ruined the shelter over it without realizing it was there, by cutting the tree down it was under. Now they are getting revenge on me by taking dust baths in my Artichoke and carrot rows.:)
Duane

#154135 - 08/29/11 05:59 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: hikerduane]
billstephenson Offline

Awesome Duane! I do miss the corn boils I went to as a kid in No IL.

Got lucky a few weeks ago when a friend gave us some sweet corn from his father's farm in Iowa.

At six weeks our pickles are really getting good. Best ever! I'm eating some now wink

For the record, someone told me they heard pickles are good for preventing leg cramps. I dunno `bout that, but these ones are sure good! laugh

"You want to go where?"

#154556 - 09/12/11 01:27 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

Froze some cut corn, two, gallon size freezer bags, 3/4 full so I can flatten them to fit the freezing compartment of my fridge as I unplugged the old 50's or 60's era chest freezer to save money, plus it was being used at partial compacity. Harvested a few more heads of Artichokes to eat later this week. Got my first ripe tomatoes over the weekend finally. I also tried some Spelt this year instead of winter Rye, so-so stand as I just tilled the ground last Fall and raked the Spelt seed in. I'll have to leave the ground fallow this coming year, too many weeds growing in that patch of ground.

The deer have figured a way into my yard, past the 8' high electric fence, so I added a four wire electric fence in front of the tomatoes, then wet it down good to conduct juice better. It works, I had one strand too close to the "T" post and it was arcing so I had to bend the wire a bit there. Come on deer!
Duane

#154564 - 09/12/11 04:52 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: hikerduane]
DTape Offline

My tomatoes are finally coming in nicely too. I just picked a huge bowl of Romas.

Sweet peppers have been coming in consistently for a few weeks now. The root veggies are all in and I should be able to harvest them all winter and into the spring.

#154601 - 09/13/11 03:48 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: DTape]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
We are working on the back end of a productive summer.

Squash

Peppers

Pole beans

Tomatoes

We got cherry, early girl, better boy, and I tried Mr. Stripy this year for tomatoes. We only got 3 tomatoes from the Mr. Stripy, but they weighed in at 3 lbs total. Not too sure I will grow them again.

Got enough anaheim chilies to cook up two large batches of chili rellenos. Love chili rellenos stuffed with queso fresco and fresh tomatoes/jalapeno.

#154627 - 09/13/11 10:14 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

Wow! That looks great. goodjob

My garden is pretty much spent. frown

"You want to go where?"

#154632 - 09/14/11 12:06 AM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: skcreidc]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
sk
wow goodjob
I'm impressed. All we got this year was flowers and blueberries, but then the blueberries have been planted 3-4 times now in new homes. We didn't evn get a tomatoe or bean!
Jim

#154635 - 09/14/11 08:58 AM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: Jimshaw]
skcreidc Offline

Hey guys! Thanks! Those shots are from the end of August, just before the Wind River Trip...so many of the Tomatoes are now gone.

The Mr Stripy's were pretty tasty; just not very productive. I am curious as to if anyone else here has grown them. I made a great batch of tomato sauce with them. Easy stuff too;

Chop up tomatoes into chunks
Heat up large pot with olive oil
throw in lots of fresh garlic and cook till lightly brown
Throw in onion and saute', salt pepper (or whatever) to taste
Then throw in all the tomatoes, cover, and simmer for 20-30min
After that, toss in blender and hit frappe
Use or freeze

At maximum squash yield (you all know how that is), I steamed a large batch of squash and threw that in as well. Wish I had a larger blender grin. I usually throw in 2 peppers for a touch of heat.

Fall has already hit San Diego; I can tell everything has started to hit the brakes.

Jim, I had blueberries a couple years back but could not get much of a yield out of them. Love the blueberries!

#154637 - 09/14/11 10:57 AM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

I have wild blueberries, not much too them. I've moved some to use as a border on my lawn at one side. Blue shat season when they come on thanks to the birds.:)
Duane

#154650 - 09/14/11 02:30 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Duane! You have wild blueberries? How cool...I didn't know they grew around Tahoe.

#154659 - 09/14/11 07:48 PM Re: Harvest 2011 [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

I work close to the lake, but go home, a couple hour drive north, Friday after work.
Duane

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum