Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153336 - 08/02/11 12:52 PM New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2
Family Guy Offline

http://tarptent.com/sneakpeek.html

Double walled, copious amounts of room, and trekking poles on the outside of the shelter where they belong.

#153341 - 08/02/11 02:39 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: Family Guy]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Thanks for letting us know about this one!

#153359 - 08/02/11 07:13 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: OregonMouse]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
I uploaded a few shots on Photobucket, so here you have one of each :

BTW, it is a very complex design. You can get a better idea looking at the diagram (in the specification page) as well as the 3D animation under "video".

Like the Scarps, this has been developed over several years to end up with more usable space than most , two large vestibules, plenty of headroom, relatively small footprint as well as a modular integral or fly only/inner only set-up.
The curved and well supported panels do have some snow loading capability as well as giving the shelters good wind resistance.
Note that the are a 1+ /2+ shelters, so in emergency you can fit another person inside.
Franco
franco@tarptent.com

#153360 - 08/02/11 07:24 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: OregonMouse]
Family Guy Offline

No problem, but it was actually Franco that alerted me! Because of the time change, I was able to post the thread early. Franco will take things from here grin

They look great. So much room and some moderate snow load ability. I am thinking that perhaps a Henry will offer a fabric inner option like the Scarp. Dare to dream.....

#153773 - 08/17/11 02:37 AM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: OregonMouse]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

You won't like it, OM...it's basically a pup-tent type. I know your (and my) feelings towards those grin

BF cool

#153787 - 08/17/11 07:16 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: bigfoot2]
Family Guy Offline

Originally Posted By bigfoot2
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

You won't like it, OM...it's basically a pup-tent type. I know your (and my) feelings towards those grin

BF cool

No. Actually it is a modified pyramid. The angles on this are quite complex and I encourage you to follow the link that Franco has provided. This isn't a pup tent.

#153801 - 08/18/11 10:33 AM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: Family Guy]
bigfoot2 Offline

Whatever, dude. I've been following it on BPL since they announced it and it's basically a pup-tent type/ Nemo Meta 2 tent.
Get a hammock and you won't have to worry about sleeping on the ground. Beats any tent/Tarptent ever made IMHO.

BF cool

Edited by bigfoot2 (08/18/11 10:38 AM)

#153803 - 08/18/11 11:37 AM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: bigfoot2]
Family Guy Offline

Whatever, dude. I've been following it on BPL since they announced it and it's basically a pup-tent type/ Nemo Meta 2 tent.
Get a hammock and you won't have to worry about sleeping on the ground. Beats any tent/Tarptent ever made IMHO.

BF cool

Dude, no, really, it isn't like the Meta at all.

The problem with hammocks is that there is no way to share the shelter with someone. And of course a little tough to use without trees around.....

...Of course, I am sitting here trying to figure out why every thread about a tent turns into one about a hammock. goodjob

#153809 - 08/18/11 01:19 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: Family Guy]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I keep forgetting to look around on my bp trips to see if a hammock would work out where I am at. Oh well, more money I would have to spend to gear-up for a new way of life and potential, vintage stove acquisition money lost.

Duane

#153812 - 08/18/11 01:35 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: Family Guy]
bigfoot2 Offline

Originally Posted By Family Guy

BF cool

The problem with hammocks is that there is no way to share the shelter with someone. And of course a little tough to use without trees around.....

...Of course, I am sitting here trying to figure out why every thread about a tent turns into one about a hammock. goodjob

Yes, it is. Just as the Rainbow was a carbon copy of the Pheonix Freeranger and the Sublite was based on TNF Dandelion. Look 'em up. If i'm lyin' i'm dyin' smile Same basic concepts, just minute detail changes.
And yes, you can get a two person hammock. It's called the Vertex by Clark. here:

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/vertex/index.php

Edited by bigfoot2 (08/18/11 01:37 PM)

#153813 - 08/18/11 02:03 PM double vs. single wall tent [Re: Family Guy]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Can somebody explain to me why a double wall like this is better than a single wall tent?

My understanding is that a double wall is much better for moisture management in high humidity environments. Is it that the space between walls trap the high humidity air and keep it away from the person in the tent? If that is the case, why would an inner wall like this of thin mesh be able to keep the two environments separate?

My tent is like this in that the "inner tent" is just a mesh room. When I looked at the design, I said why even have the inner mesh? Why not just connect the mesh directly to the rain fly? When I first discovered tarp tent, I said "yes... like that." But now it looks like Henry is moving towards the design of my current tent. Why?

#153814 - 08/18/11 02:06 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: bigfoot2]
Family Guy Offline

Originally Posted By Family Guy

BF cool

Yes, it is. Just as the Rainbow was a carbon copy of the Pheonix Freeranger and the Sublite was based on TNF Dandelion. Look 'em up. If i'm lyin' i'm dyin' smile Same basic concepts, just minute detail changes.
And yes, you can get a two person hammock. It's called the Vertex by Clark. here:

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/vertex/index.php

That Hammock is almost 5 lbs. Wow.

Just curious - can you still buy the Pheonix and TNF??

#153816 - 08/18/11 03:04 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: Family Guy]
bigfoot2 Offline

Can't buy them new, only used (IF you can find them). The Pheonix was sold in Europe and the TNF Dandelion was an old 1970's design.
Yeah, that hammock is way too heavy, but COOL.

BF cool

Edited by bigfoot2 (08/18/11 03:05 PM)

#153825 - 08/18/11 08:16 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: bigfoot2]
Franco Offline

Yes, it is. Just as the Rainbow was a carbon copy of the Pheonix Freeranger and the Sublite was based on TNF Dandelion

If the StratoSphere looks like a pup tent or not , I leave that to the comments from folk that have actually seen the tent.

The other two comments are both incorrect.
The Contrail was in fact inspired by this shelter :

and that info has been publicly available since 2006.
http://patentpending.blogs.com/patent_pending_blog/2006/10/the_contrail_si.html
1891 was in fact the name Henry used in our correspondence during the design . The name Contrail was set only a few days before the official release.

The Rainbow has been discussed before and you are well aware of that.
It was in fact inspired by 3 shelters , not the Phoenix.

The most lookalike of those three was the Macpac Microlite, a rather popular shelter in NZ,Australia and the UK at the time.
However apart from the shape, the geometry is not all that similar. For example the pole in that crosses from one corner to the the middle of the other end and it does not have the short cross apex strut.

The similarities with the Phoenix were posted at BPL in 2006 (the Rainbow was tested in 2005) and that was the first time that either Henry or my
self had ever heard of Phonix let alone the two lookalike shelters.
The Phoenix brand (as far as I know) was a UK only brand and disappeared well before people started to post on the Internet.
In fact it took me a while to find any pictures of any Phoenix tent at the time.
Curiously , the one that is more like the Rainbow is a double wall tent, the single is still of roughly that shape.
(Phreeranger and Phreehanger)
Franco

#153826 - 08/18/11 08:33 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: Franco]
bigfoot2 Offline

Whatever, Franco.
I did not buy the "look alike/great minds think alike" BS when it was posted before and i still don't buy it now.
Also, please disclose your financial relationship with Tarptent so everyone can understand why you defend them so vigorously and continuously. Not one negative comment allowed on ANY site (except maybe Hammock Forums...but that's just because nobody buys Tarptents there) grin .

BF cool

Edited by bigfoot2 (08/18/11 08:38 PM)

#153827 - 08/18/11 10:15 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: bigfoot2]
Franco Offline

There is no secret about my link with TT .
Since last year I get a commission for every TT sale made in Australia.
That also means that I don't get any commission for sales made elsewhere.
It also means that I have posted for 6 years or so in various forums simply because I like gear, particularly tents and particularly Tarptents.
As far as I know there are not that many Aussie viewers here.
But of course you already know that..
BTW this is the end of my participation in this thread because once again I am more interested in comments from people that have some experience with these is shelters.
Franco

#153828 - 08/18/11 10:38 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: Franco]
bigfoot2 Offline

[quote=Franco] this is the end of my participation in this thread...I am more interested in comments from people that have some experience with these is shelters.
Franco
[/quote

Same here....but they are not out yet smile Remember, people will still have opinions other than yours. Gotta' put your big boy pants on and play nice, otherwise it might cost you a sale or two wink

BF cool

Edited by bigfoot2 (08/18/11 10:42 PM)

#153873 - 08/20/11 08:50 AM Re: double vs. single wall tent [Re: BZH]
mosquito Offline

Loc: Minnesota
The big difference between Henry's design and those of Six Moons
Design is that the inner net tent can always be set up and taken down dry. My wife and I have used a SMD Haven for 2 years and really like like the design.

#153876 - 08/20/11 09:21 AM Re: double vs. single wall tent [Re: mosquito]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Not all of the SMD tents are like the Haven or Gatewood Cape. My SMD Luna Solo has the netting sewn to the tent fabric about 18" in from the perimeter. While I really like the Luna, it is prone to condensation issues under certain conditions. And, other than along the net walls you and your sleeping bag or quilt can come in contact with this condensation.

#153904 - 08/21/11 08:54 PM Re: double vs. single wall tent [Re: mosquito]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Referring to Pika's comment...

OR the Skyscape model, where the tent is about 80% dual wall but the top is single.

#156935 - 11/07/11 02:46 PM Re: double vs. single wall tent [Re: skcreidc]
Franco Offline

Took some pics yesterday of the SS2 in tarp mode to give a better idea of how much usable space there is inside it.
(I keep seeing comments about getting a 3 person tent for 2 , 'cause the doubles are too small...)

Also shot a video of my second time setting it up, 1:25 sec.
The first time it took me 2:40sec.
http://www.youtube.com/user/francodarioli?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/RyQT9JHloQM

(of course I have home ground advantage)
Franco

#156983 - 11/08/11 12:59 PM Re: double vs. single wall tent [Re: Franco]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I have to admit, that set-up video is pretty impressive. So is the SS2 design.

I picked up some more visqueen last night so I can start playing with some different tarp designs and set-ups. Hopefully I'll settle on one soon and either make or buy a real tarp smile

Thanks for sharing!

"You want to go where?"

#156996 - 11/08/11 04:07 PM Re: double vs. single wall tent [Re: billstephenson]
Franco Offline

Hi Bill
Yes it is a very complex design but works very well at giving a trekking pole supported shelter dome like qualities.
The usable space inside is impressive. Without the inner 5 or so adults could be inside having a cup of tea...
Here is another video I shot yesterday to show some of its features :
http://www.youtube.com/user/francodarioli?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/pnE40fJwLts
BTW, the floor is longer than it appears in a shot or two, so I took this pic this morning to give a better idea.

The mat and pillow combined are 80" of length, the floor is about 85". A 5'5" person will fit
i'm 5'8"
Franco
franco@tarptent.com

#157313 - 11/13/11 01:29 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: Family Guy]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Comment on double-vs- single wall. Condensation is less an issue with double wall because the wet fly can be taken off and packed separately, so the inner tent stays dry. I find it really tedious to dry out the inside of my TarpTent Moment. Because of the sewed in end poles and bottom cross-strap, when I turn it inside-out to dry, it is a major puzzle to get it returned to normal. Also, the inner tent protects you from rubbing up against the wet fly. However, if the fly and inner do not have enough clearance space, the inner tent can get wet. I perfer a well designed double wall tent. The key here is "well designed".

A big part of my discomfort with single wall tents is psychological. My reason tells me everything is OK, but my emotions tell me to worry! It is stupid, but I cannot seem to shake that feeling of insecurity in a single wall tent.

For me, a tent set up on trekking poles does not work. I use my trekking poles during the day when I stay in one spot for a few days. Is the "StratoSpire" going to have optional poles that you can buy?

#157315 - 11/13/11 03:10 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: wandering_daisy]
Franco Offline

Yes you can use the optional Easton poles as you can see in my picture here :

For you I would suggest then to get those poles for the day (about 5 oz for the 2) but then install your trekking poles at night if you are in an exposed area.
Franco

#157589 - 11/16/11 10:07 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: Franco]
skinewmexico Offline

Ugh. And I blew all my Double Rainbow money while I was waiting for it to come out.

Think this will be as stable in the wind as a DR with trekking poles and guylines?

Edited by skinewmexico (11/16/11 10:23 PM)

#157599 - 11/16/11 11:24 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: skinewmexico]
Wolfman Offline

I am fairy new to BackcountryForum and also to Light Weight back packing. I have be looking for a new (or newer) tent for me and my kids. I am a big guy 6'6" and to big around. Anyway I was looking at the Rainshadow 2 as a possible option but the tent that Franco showed looks very interesting. I know his relation to Tarptent and all that. What is the name of that tent, I did not see it on Tarptents web site and when is it going to be available? Also is their some spec on it? Do you need more then two poles? My kids normally don't use hiking poles.

OK So this must be the StratoSpire in the subject, (Insert face plant) but I would still like more info!!

Thanks for any info,
Wolfman

#157620 - 11/17/11 10:35 AM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: Wolfman]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
How many of you are there? Tarptent's upcoming StratoSpire 2 is a 2-person tent. The Rainshadow 2 ("2" on this one refers to the model number, not how many people it holds) is a 3-person tent. The Hogback is a 4-person tent.

If you follow the links on Tarptent's website (start by clicking on "Products"), you'll find detailed specifications on all. For those tents that use trekking poles, you can buy poles from Tarptent instead. I have the Rainshadow 2 and really like it. I use the poles from Tarptent for it rather than trekking poles because usually when I go out with my son's family and the grandkids, we take more than one tent, and I'm the only one who uses trekking poles.

Hopefully Franco will come on here at some point and provide more details.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/17/11 10:43 AM)

#157658 - 11/19/11 12:39 AM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: OregonMouse]
Wolfman Offline

Thanks for the info Ms Mouse, (I think that's right) I did find the tent on Tarptent's web site, it looks way smaller in their pics then in Franco's pics. Is everyone smaller down-under?? smile

The fly looks like it could hold the three of us, but given that I am in the PNW, Just north of you (Probably from your name) I really have to have the floor and bug netting, I am not much of a fan of the little things that fly around and suck your blood or bite you just for fun!!

Glad to know you like the Rainshadow 2, I am more and more leaning that way, unless I end up making my own tent.

Wolfman

Edited by Wolfman (11/19/11 12:40 AM)

#157674 - 11/20/11 03:53 AM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: Wolfman]
Franco Offline

Sorry I was away "testing" the StratoSpire2.
I normally only use solo shelters because I don't like sharing nor carrying extra weight, however we were expecting some storms for two out of four days I tought that given the possibility of being stuck inside for an afternoon and a night (as we did...) I took it with me.
It performed very well and this morning my mate in his Moment and me in the SS2 were the only two out of 8 tents there (at about 6000' next to a refuge) to have slept all night.
Mind you everybody else (as usual here...) were all zipped up inside their condensation producing would be 4 season tents.. (small tents, wet clothing, two occupants inside 20f bags at 55f....)
Anyway, the SS2 is a large 2 person tent and can hold 3 adults but just.
With two kids and considering the two generous vestibules it should be doable.
It does offer more weather protection than the Rainshadow however a bit less floor space.
(as for size, I am 5'8" , Henry is 5'11")
Franco
franco@tarptent.com

#157732 - 11/21/11 10:50 PM Re: New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2 [Re: Franco]
Wolfman Offline

No Problem Franco, Thanks for the feed back.

I will probably stick with the Rainshadow 2 if I get a TarpTent, I just wish it had large vestibules in the front. Still not completely decided yet. I have been giving some thought to making my own tent, we'll see how it goes this winter. Hopefully work will be busy and I can just buy one. smile

Wolfman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum