Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153211 - 07/29/11 09:51 AM New here and to Backpacking
drenwalker Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Hello all!

I love to camp. I try to avoid the campgrounds and stick to walk-in/cart-in sites away from the riff raff. Most backcountry ish I've done was up in Savannah Portage State Park in MN. The Walk in site was almost 2 miles off the road and at least a mile from the next closest walk in site.

I've been out camping the past 5 weekends in various places.

I'm really wanting to do a solo backcountry trip up to the Chippewa National Forest in a couple of weeks. I've never camped alone and never "backcountry".
Any suggestions, comments?

Thanks in advance!
Dren

#153215 - 07/29/11 10:40 AM Re: New here and to Backpacking [Re: drenwalker]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Welcome, Dren.

I think the first thing you want to do is put together a gear list (doesn't have to be the excel spreadsheets many of us use, just a list on a piece of paper is fine.) Since you'll be going solo, and away from campgrounds, you'll have to carry everything you need - you may have shared gear before, or lived out of your vehicle, and may be shocked at how much stuff you end up needing to carry.

I always found that Colin Fletcher's "House on your back" concept worked well. You need a bedroom, a kitchen, a pantry, a clothes closet, and a bathroom. Think about what you need to eat, sleep, be warm, and take care of your personal needs, and list the gear accordingly.

After you've got your gear list together, pull out all the gear on it and put it in a pile. It will be surprisingly large. That's when you start asking, "What is a necessity, and what is a luxury?" For example, if you've got frozen steak, whole potatoes, and canned pudding in the pantry, and a grill, stove, a couple pots, and a plate and cup in the kitchen, the question becomes apparent: How can you reduce that? Well, by eating a freeze-dried pasta entree that you prepare by adding hot water to the bag instead of steak, baked potato, and puddding, you eliminate a lot of food weight - and the grill, the plate, some utensils, and all but the stove, one pot, a spoon, and a cup from the kitchen (and, with the right pot, you can eliminate the cup.)

The same logic will apply to all the other "rooms."

Once you've made that first cut, it's time to load it into the pack to (a)see if it will all fit, and (b)see how much it weighs. Then you can start asking specific questions here, about specific packs (if you need a new one) or how to cut weight (with lots of recommendations on lighter, better-suited gear.)

I apologize if I've spoken "down" to you, and realize that you may have already done some of this since you use walk-in sites. But, since you said you were "new to backpacking," I asumed you hadn't done any of this yet.

Let me know where you're at in the process of assembling appropriate gear, and we can move on from there to discuss planning and taking your first solo trip.

#153235 - 07/29/11 02:09 PM Re: New here and to Backpacking [Re: Glenn]
drenwalker Offline

At all my walk in sites I've always carried too much to be considered backpacking. Cooler, chairs, lots of unnecessary foods etc.

What I do plan to bring:
alumn cooking pot w/lid, strainer, handle all concealed in itself.
Tent - Wenzel South Bend 4 Person Dome Tent - 7.8lbs (heavy I know)
Sleeping bag - Coleman - 6.5 lbs (hmm, that's heavy too)
Necessary Gear - leatherman, headlamp, mini battery lantern, magnesium/fire starter, plenty of rope, compass, First aid kit
Tarp – 9x7 – medium duty
Minimal clothes – What’s on my back and depending on the weather on my trek in 1 change of cold/warm.
1 book
Machete or hatchet
Daiwa minispin fishing rod/real
All will fit on my pack which is a 70’s external alumn frame Alpine pack. (picked up two of them for $20)

It does appear this is going to get heavy fast. I have not put it all together to weigh as of yet. I’ll have to work on my food, ie get dehydrated goods like mountain house or something like that. I’m used to eating really well camping; steak, potato, breakfast burritos etc. I plan to boil water or use treatment tabs. I will be very near lake and streams.

I’m sure I’m missing something but this is a start.

Things I’m considering: I have a cheap hammock I could use along with my tarp instead of the tent.
Mini white gas stove (the size of a little metal cup which it has too) but I’ve always cooked over my fire

Let the educating begin!!

P.S. I plan to pickup Colin Fletchers "the complete walker" and I'll have to look at the House on your back as well.

Thanks in advance!!

Dren

#153353 - 08/02/11 04:34 PM Re: New here and to Backpacking [Re: drenwalker]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Just some thoughts...

Why both tarp and tent? Do you intend to walk in and stay a while?

Why the hatchet or big knife? These things weigh a pound plus, and if you are following leave no trace (LNT) you don't need, even if you are going to make a small fire for cooking. Sticks two fingers to wrist thick make the best coals for cooking anyway...

Why lots of rope? I have bear bag line (50feet of 550 cord will work great, as will some of the lighter line at the specialty store) and some rope to hold things on my external frame, but nothing else.

If backpacking, extra is just weight. If staying and playing, extra makes things nicer. It is important to understand what you are choosing to do.

Steadman

#153357 - 08/02/11 05:29 PM Re: New here and to Backpacking [Re: Steadman]
drenwalker Offline

Tarp + Tent because I don't fully trust my cheap Wenzel tent. I could ditch the tent I suppose.

Rope is for bear bag line(s), tarp. I'm sure I bring more than needed. I could loose some of that.

I like my machette.

I plan to pack into a site and stay there for a couple days or more. Utilize the area during the day, hiking and fishing while returning to my basecamp in eve/nights.

Thanks!
Dren

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum