Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152261 - 07/05/11 10:11 AM An alternative for the orange toilet trowel *****
Cambronze Offline

I have posted an instructable for my version of the T Leaf.
Some have suggested to me to loose the thumb hole. As this tool can be used in a wide range of ways, you could alter it to suit your area.
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-T-Leaf-aka-Toilet-trowel/

#152264 - 07/05/11 10:23 AM Re: An alternative for the orange toilet trowel [Re: Cambronze]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
It looks like a good idea for those who feel they need a trowel. I have never had problems finding a suitable stick or rock to do the job. But your idea certainly is better than the orange trowel advocated by the FS

#152268 - 07/05/11 10:45 AM Re: An alternative for the orange toilet trowel [Re: wandering_daisy]
Cambronze Offline

I also use it to dig a small fire trench.
Remove 2" top soil with grass etc. Place it out-of-the-way. Dig a small trench,slightly smaller than your pot diameter. The trench needs to be in-line with prevailing breeze. Light fire in trench. (Remember, small sticks burn quick and hot, thick sticks burn slow and bake) When you have finished cooking, extinguish fire, "no steam rising from wet ashes". Bury ashes with soil dug from trench. Then cover with topsoil disturbed earlier.

#152270 - 07/05/11 11:45 AM Re: An alternative for the orange toilet trowel [Re: Cambronze]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Just a note for others. If you do use a trench, or hole for a fire, be careful that the soil/ground is not such that you may start an underground duff fire. It is possible to put out ones main fire and not realize there is a smoldering fire traveling horizontally away from the the original fire. The best place to do a fire of this sort is in mineral soil. An easy place to find it (at least in the Northeast US) is at the base of an uprooted windthrown tree. An added bonus is the natural windbreak of the root wall (though it usually doesn't block the prevailing winds.

#152280 - 07/05/11 01:33 PM Re: An alternative for the orange toilet trowel [Re: Cambronze]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Looks good. I might try it.

#152288 - 07/05/11 03:00 PM Re: An alternative for the orange toilet trowel [Re: finallyME]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have an 0.4 oz. titanium trowel bought from someone on another forum. It can also double as an extra tent stake.
Titanium cathole trowel.

Edited by OregonMouse (07/05/11 03:43 PM)

#152396 - 07/07/11 03:43 PM Re: An alternative for the orange toilet trowel [Re: OregonMouse]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
And another cottage industry starts up (the ultralight trowel industry).

#152404 - 07/07/11 04:19 PM Re: An alternative for the orange toilet trowel [Re: skcreidc]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Quote:
And another cottage industry starts up (the ultralight trowel industry).

Cottage industries starting up all over the place!

#152419 - 07/07/11 09:05 PM Re: An alternative for the orange toilet trowel [Re: OregonMouse]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I left my trowel at home last year and used my trekking pole to dig. It worked well in the smokies, but you are digging thru allot of easy to move natural compost. Also depends on age, older I get the more I realise when its time to go Its Time! I will take the trowel agian if in say the rockies etc.
Happy Trails

#152738 - 07/16/11 06:40 PM Re: An alternative for the orange toilet trowel [Re: Kent W]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
This is what I use :

yes, it is a snow/sand peg. You use it like a pick not a shovel.
Franco

#152801 - 07/18/11 03:32 PM Re: An alternative for the orange toilet trowel [Re: finallyME]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Just to add a side track to this topic, I recently broke my orange trowel this weekend. frown I have snow stakes and might go that route in a couple weeks. Besides, I will be high enough that I might need the snow stakes for their intended purpose anyways.

#152919 - 07/20/11 04:50 PM Re: An alternative for the orange toilet trowel [Re: Franco]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I do the same thing - did one of us steal the idea from the other? smile

I added a padded handle to mine: I usually carry 30 - 50 feet of cord (the kind MSR uses for its tent guylines) to hang my small food bag, or rig a makeshift clothesline - or even to make guylines for my tent. I thread the cord through the little hole where your index finger is, and tie a knot so it won't come back through. Then I wind the cord around and around and around the handle, about a hand's width down the stake, keeping all the turns pushed snugly against one another. There's enough cord for 3 or 4 passes, which builds up into a nice, comfortable handle for digging. (A real PITA to re-do if you have to unwind it every night, though.)

Even without the handle, it works great!

#153039 - 07/24/11 11:50 AM Re: An alternative for the orange toilet trowel [Re: Glenn]
rellot Offline

that's a nifty idea, thanks

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum