Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152394 - 07/07/11 03:04 PM Garmin GPS and NG TOPO?
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have the old yellow Garmin Etrex. I also have NG TOPO for the states I am interested in. I have all of the information for an upcoming trip on NG Michign. The problem is that the old GPS will only take one route and I have eight plotted on the map so I purchased an Etrex Vista H which takes 20 routes. The problem is that the new unit has a USB connector and the NG software only recognizes serial ports. On the old unit I just used a serial/USB adapter and transferred the data. NG software is 3.4.3. An upgrade to 4.0 is available for $19.95 which I "think" will then support the USB connector but I am not sure. The other option is to purchase the Garmin Map Source map for $129 with may or may not be able to import the data I already have on TOPO. I can export the NG data as a txt file but I cannot find a way to import that into the Garmin Vista H.

Anyone with more expertise with GPS and maps have any input for someone without a computer degree?

Thanks

#152398 - 07/07/11 03:48 PM Re: Garmin GPS and NG TOPO? [Re: GrumpyGord]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I have the old Garmin MapSource US TOPO (1:100,000 scale) CD-Rom set that I will never use again. If they will help you out let me know and I'll send them to you.

"You want to go where?"

#152400 - 07/07/11 04:02 PM Re: Garmin GPS and NG TOPO? [Re: GrumpyGord]
billstephenson Offline

I should have mentioned...

You might want to try and get Garmin's "Basecamp" software, and/or, Garmin's "Mapsource" software. Both are free from Garmin. One of them may be able to import your routes from NG TOPO and then transfer it to your Garmin.

Get one of those and plug-in your GPS and see if the software accesses it (it will show your GPS is connected with an icon).

You can make a route with Basecamp, and you can get free TOPO maps for it too. If it works for you then you're good to go. The free maps don't have the fancy shading and 3-D effects that the NG maps have, but they do have some with finer detail (10ft increments on elevation).

I have the newer version of NG TOPO too, and I like it a lot. It's worth the money, but now that I have the free Basecamp software with the free maps, I don't use it as much.

"You want to go where?"

#152402 - 07/07/11 04:06 PM Re: Garmin GPS and NG TOPO? [Re: GrumpyGord]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Ugh, I remember going through this when I got a Legend HCx after having the plain etrex. IIRC I bought some cheap Topo! product like Backroads Explorer or somesuch to get USB capability for my State series. Then, when Vista came out nothing worked and NG released a fix that was a straight install rather than an upgrade. It's been too long for me to recall the details, but you might try this:

Topo! two-step upgrade

If you can get 4.2.8 to install you can then install 4.5.0.

I don't think much of Map Source, but I guess I'd consider it if I were starting from scratch. All these products drive me a bit nuts because they kinda, sorta work together but not really, and everybody wants to sell you their periodic base map upgrades while at the same time they're selling you repackaged USGS maps (public domain).

#152405 - 07/07/11 04:55 PM Re: Garmin GPS and NG TOPO? [Re: Rick_D]
GrumpyGord Offline

My NG TOPO is version 3.4.3 and an update to 4.0 is available for $19.95. If this will fix my NG for USB connect it would be worth it. I have the state set for several states along with saved data so getting the NG set to work would be the best solution.

I thought that the Map Source base map came on the GPS. It brings up a large scale map on the GPS screen but I have not been able to transfer that to the PC. I downloaded the Basecamp and Mapsorce software from Garmin but they will not find a map on the GPS.

I am not concerned with the high resolution maps, fly by etc. I just want to get existing data from NG to GPS.

Will the $19.95 update enable the USB connect? I tried the two step upgrade but it could not find the 4.0 version so I assume that I will have to purchase that.

#152407 - 07/07/11 05:40 PM Re: Garmin GPS and NG TOPO? [Re: GrumpyGord]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
If your experience parallels mine yes, you'll be able to up and download routes and waypoints between Topo! state editions and your Garmin without fiddling with second-party software. I create routes in Topo! and upload to the GPS that I then navigate. Back home I download saved tracks and any recorded waypoints back to Topo! (Great for "truthing" your base maps.)

Note: any traced paths won't upload to the Garmin--just waypoints and routes organized from strings of waypoints.

I know, it sounds easy. smirk

Cheers,

Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
My NG TOPO is version 3.4.3 and an update to 4.0 is available for $19.95. If this will fix my NG for USB connect it would be worth it. I have the state set for several states along with saved data so getting the NG set to work would be the best solution.

I thought that the Map Source base map came on the GPS. It brings up a large scale map on the GPS screen but I have not been able to transfer that to the PC. I downloaded the Basecamp and Mapsorce software from Garmin but they will not find a map on the GPS.

I am not concerned with the high resolution maps, fly by etc. I just want to get existing data from NG to GPS.

Will the $19.95 update enable the USB connect? I tried the two step upgrade but it could not find the 4.0 version so I assume that I will have to purchase that.

#152500 - 07/10/11 01:40 AM Re: Garmin GPS and NG TOPO? [Re: GrumpyGord]
BpackerDon Offline

Loc: Northern Calif
I upgraded to National Geo Topo 4.0 ( it really is 4.2.7, with a date of 2006) It was called "TOPO! Streets and 3-D Views expansion pack"

It works fine with USB 2.0. I don't remember if it also does earlier versions of USB- I upgraded a long time ago.

The back of the package says "TOPO! Streets and 3-d Views has the latest connectivity built-in to enable you to use your TOPO! software with the newest GPS receivers"

Keep in mind- this was a 2006 upgrade, copyright 2004- so who knows if the current version is different.

#152516 - 07/10/11 04:19 PM Re: Garmin GPS and NG TOPO? [Re: BpackerDon]
GrumpyGord Offline

Thanks all. I bit the bullet and bought the 4.0 upgrade. I was a little hesitant because the WEB site said 10 day delivery and I was not sure if it would solve the problem but you have assured me that it would a least solve the connection problem. NG shipped it UPS the next day so the rime frame was not a problem. I should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I did download the Basecamp program and got it to recognize the base map on the GPS. Not too useful by itself since it does not allow me to transfer existing data to the GPS. I will try playing around with it later when I get time.

#152645 - 07/13/11 02:08 PM Re: Garmin GPS and NG TOPO? [Re: GrumpyGord]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
I did download the Basecamp program and got it to recognize the base map on the GPS. Not too useful by itself since it does not allow me to transfer existing data to the GPS. I will try playing around with it later when I get time.

While this may be redundant, you should be able to export your Routes in a GPX format from NG TOPO! and import them into Basecamp, then transfer them into your GPS.

"You want to go where?"

#152646 - 07/13/11 02:50 PM Re: Garmin GPS and NG TOPO? [Re: billstephenson]
GrumpyGord Offline

I have been playing around with it some more but I mostly have compatibility problems. NG TOPO only exports to the unit connected to the PC or to .TXT file. NG TOPO only recognizes the serial ports. Hopefully this will sort itself out when I get the TOPO 4 update to recognize the USB ports.

I did download the map from GPS File Depot and that will transfer the Michigan map to Basecamp and to the GPS.

I am almost ready to just go back to a map and compass. The problem is that I want to go to an area for which I have a 1925 map and the area has been unmaintained since then. I have downloaded waypoints and trails from the old map into TOPO and I want to go see how much of the old stuff I can find. I have been there before and trying to navigate through brush and trees where you cannot see more than 100 ft makes navigation difficult. It is possible to be within 50 ft of what you are looking for and not find it. Others have done it but obviously they are better navigators than I am.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum