Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152317 - 07/05/11 09:38 PM 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
So I just got a Wilderness Logics "Big Daddy" Tarp to hang over my hammock. I'm excited. It came with 2 sections of 12' zing it line for a 2 line ridge line set up, and 4x 8' sections of zing it line for the guy lines.

I plan on making self tensioning guy lines out of paracord.

My question is, do you hangers on this forum know of a way to utilize those 2 12' lines for a ridgeline. How would I set it up and attach my tarp?

I was thinking of a night ize knot bone on one end to secure the line to the tree, then a prussic (maybe soft shackle prussic to omit any S biners) attached to the tarp to tighten....

any suggestions? Thanks! GDP

#152323 - 07/05/11 11:53 PM Re: 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question [Re: GDeadphans]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
However you do it, the tarp ridgeline needs to follow the hammock when you get in....meaning, it is best fastened to the hammock suspension lines. Else, your tarp be too high when the hammock is loaded. A prussic on each end should do it....thats what I use. I try to avoid as much hardware as possible.

#152333 - 07/06/11 09:29 AM Re: 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question [Re: Dryer]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
The description Dryer suggests is necessary for some hammocks (and their suspension system) but not all. In my experience attaching the tarp to the hammock suspension system will cause the tarp to sag and flap when the load is placed in the hammock. YMMV

For the past 3 years, my tarp is hung first and tied directly to the trees. the line attaches to the tarp at the ends only and does NOT run the entire length of the ridgeline.I then stake out the corners (I use sticks I find in the woods and only carry 2 emergency stakes). This allows me to have a dry place to now unpack my hammock and rest of my gear.

#152339 - 07/06/11 12:21 PM Re: 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question [Re: GDeadphans]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I only know what a 1 line ridge line is. That is when you string a single line between the trees and attach the tarp with prussics. What is a 2 line?

Anyways, my tarp is never connected to my hammock suspension.

#152344 - 07/06/11 01:24 PM Re: 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question [Re: finallyME]
GDeadphans Offline

My stock hammock fly (Hennessy Hammock Exped) is a diamond shape and I attached that right to the ridgeline via prussics. I would rather the tarp have its own ridgeline because of reasons aforementioned, the sag when hammock bears a load, then the wind factor and flapping around. I feel with it on its own ridge line it would be more taut.

I also like the idea of setting up the tarp first and having a place to set up camp under a tarp before anything. That is my main reason for having a separate ridgeline really.

A double line ridgeline is one rope around the tree and connecting to the edge of the tarp, and does not run under the full length of the tarp as a single line does. It ends at the grommet or webbing. The same thing on the other side. Apparently this saves weight. It came with my tarp so I figure I will just use that instead of purchasing the 1 line ridge line from Whoopieslings as my original plan was.

Thanks for the replies so far folks!

GDP

DTape - what you do is exactly what I am trying to do. So you are using a 2line ridgeline as well? ...I believe....thats how I read it. So how do you secure your line around the tree, and to the hammock?

#152350 - 07/06/11 02:02 PM Re: 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question [Re: GDeadphans]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I never thought of this a 2-line ridgline as the tie offs do not form the ridgeline at all. Anyway...

I take the line from the D-ring (or grommet) and bring it around the tree and back to the D-ring. I then tie a quick release tautline hitch which I can use to center and tension the tarp as needed. Repeat on other side. This creates a "V" shape in the line so the suspension strap of the hammock can be attached to the tree at a higher point than the tarp line and not interfere with the tarp line.

For the hammock I use a strap and cinch buckle system. The strap has a caribiner on the end which goes around the tree and then clips back on to the strap which is attached to the cinch buckle system which has been attached to the hammock ends. For me, this allows for very quick setup (and takedown) as well as easily adjustable. (I am sure someone has made a video of this setup at hammockforums, perhaps justjeff?)

My system works for me as it is very fast and adjustable.

#152356 - 07/06/11 04:18 PM Re: 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question [Re: DTape]
GDeadphans Offline

Thanks DTape. I use the same suspension style actually haha. Works great - fast set up and take down its awesome.

Looks like we have much the same idea for our hammocks lol. Thanks again.

#152375 - 07/07/11 09:03 AM Re: 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question [Re: GDeadphans]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
I would rather the tarp have its own ridgeline because of reasons aforementioned, the sag when hammock bears a load, then the wind factor and flapping around. I feel with it on its own ridge line it would be more taut.

Shock cord tieouts or ballast weights (water bottles, rocks, rain catchers), even "springy" bushes keep the fly taught. I've never had a problem with sagging fly. I have set up hammocks both ways and perfer less line and hardware to haul.

#152377 - 07/07/11 09:09 AM Re: 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question [Re: Dryer]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I've done this both ways (on and off the hammock suspension). Done right both work. Most of the time I prefer off for two reasons

1) I tend to a bit larger tarp for coverage in really foul weather. it's harder to do the on the suspension thing with a big tarp.

2) I carry lines for my tarp anyway, as there's a good chance on any of my trips I end up above the treeline and tarping it.

but I suspect a lot of the preference is the environment you hike in - at least I think it is in my case.

Browse my pictures

#152383 - 07/07/11 10:10 AM Re: 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question [Re: phat]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Originally Posted By phat

I've done this both ways (on and off the hammock suspension). Done right both work.

I agree. the length of the ridgeline does not decrease when you get in a Hennessy, but the distance from the ridgeline to the ground does decrease. If you use short side guylines then you will get some flapping. If you use longer side guyline then the flapping is not that much of a problem.

A small tarp will keep you dry, BUT if you want to cook, change clothes, etc. then a large tarp is needed. Why would I need to own 5 tarps is one worked best in all conditions? My "go to" tarp is the now discontinued Jacks"R'Better 8X8.

Edited by ringtail (07/07/11 10:11 AM)

#152384 - 07/07/11 10:23 AM Re: 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question [Re: ringtail]
GDeadphans Offline

Yea I got a Big Daddy 130" X 115". Definitely plenty of room, only 13 oz too so I was really pleased.

I bought some shock cord to make self tension guy lines for the sides of the tarp. I saw a sticky thread on the hammock forums on how to DIY so I think that will be my next project. On the cheap.

Saw some neat little clips called Dutch Tarp Flyz to attach your tarp to the tree. They look pretty neat.

#152906 - 07/20/11 12:56 PM Re: 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question [Re: GDeadphans]
Raiffnuke Offline

Loc: North Adams, MA
Originally Posted By GDeadphans
So I just got a Wilderness Logics "Big Daddy" Tarp to hang over my hammock. I'm excited. It came with 2 sections of 12' zing it line for a 2 line ridge line set up, and 4x 8' sections of zing it line for the guy lines.

I plan on making self tensioning guy lines out of paracord.

My question is, do you hangers on this forum know of a way to utilize those 2 12' lines for a ridgeline. How would I set it up and attach my tarp?

I was thinking of a night ize knot bone on one end to secure the line to the tree, then a prussic (maybe soft shackle prussic to omit any S biners) attached to the tarp to tighten....

any suggestions? Thanks! GDP

Here is some info that might help. Also get all of your hammock questions answered at hammock forums . Your hammock suspension should be higher than where your tarp ridgeline attached to the trees.

#152922 - 07/20/11 05:18 PM Re: 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question [Re: Raiffnuke]
GDeadphans Offline

Thanks raiff. I post there regularly actually. I actually got a few items off members their to help me out with my 2line RL. Thanks for the help.

#152934 - 07/21/11 07:39 AM Re: 2line ridge line set ups for hammockers question [Re: GDeadphans]
Raiffnuke Offline

Loc: North Adams, MA
Your welcome. See you on HF! cool

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum