Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152173 - 07/01/11 02:27 PM M.R.E.s???
kramodog82 Offline

I am about to undertake my first backpacking trip and was wondering what people think about MREs as a primary source of sustinance.

#152176 - 07/01/11 03:02 PM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: kramodog82]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
They are convenient but a lot heavier than are a lot of alternatives. Check out www.trailcooking.com for one source of meal recipes and www.backpackerspantry.com for prepared, freeze-dried meals.

With MRE's, you are hauling along a lot of unnecessary water at 1 lb per two cups.

#152177 - 07/01/11 03:02 PM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: kramodog82]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
There are much better options at your grocery store. MRE's contain a HUGE amount of trash and non-essential stuff.

#152178 - 07/01/11 03:26 PM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: Dryer]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Meals Regurgitated by Ethiopians?

#152190 - 07/01/11 05:51 PM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: kramodog82]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
If done smartly, they can be a good option. And, depending on your style, they can be lighter, despite the water carried.

I should probably qualify that. First, you should take them apart and only take what you need. Second, don't take a stove or fuel. Only heat your meals with the heater. This means no hot drinks, unless you use something other than a stove to heat it. If you do this for only a few nights, then it is lighter than dehydrated food with a stove and fuel. However, there is a point in time that dehydrated food with stove and fuel get lighter.

So basically, MRE's have their place. You just have to figure out if it is with you.

#152197 - 07/01/11 09:51 PM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: kramodog82]
Cubleader Offline

Loc: PA
While I'm just getting back into backpacking, I do have a lot of experience with MRE's. I would think that because of the weight, they might make a good first nights meal. I wouldn't carry them around for 3 days before eating them. Save the freeze dried for later in the trip. It just seems to make more sense to lighten up the pack as soon as possible. The heaters work better in warm conditions. If you're planning on using them in cold weather, you should keep that MRE pouch close to your body to keep it warm. Taking a 40 degree pouch and sticking it in that heater often just makes a luke-warm meal. I've heard all the alternate meanings for "MRE" and I think they're all great. Some are really good and some are just disgusting. I had the chili not too long ago and it was delicious. The maple flavored ham slice on the other hand isn't fit for canine consumption. No really. My old beagle wouldn't eat more than a bite or two of it.

#152207 - 07/02/11 11:58 AM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: Cubleader]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I imagine a lot of us pack a somewhat heavier first meal, but when I do that, there are much more inviting, and nutritious options than MREs. They are good for what they were designed for - decent meals that can be stockpiled, are completely self-contained, and can be distributed to large groups quickly. They are fabulous for emergencies and fire line chow, combat, etc. I sometimes take a few selected components backpacking. MREs contain a nice small plastic spoon that is a pretty good item, for instance.

To be fair, the taste is not bad at all - especially if you have no alternatives.

#152212 - 07/02/11 02:53 PM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: oldranger]
kramodog82 Offline

Thank you all for your thoughts and for not treating me like a moron... I shan't be using MREs and thanks to yall I have found much more apealing and less expensive ideas

Thanks for the help

#152213 - 07/02/11 03:46 PM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: kramodog82]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Started to reply earlier but lost it. Everything important has been said, I think, but had to add one note: for somebody raised on C-rats, they are one hell of an improvement! Best, jcp

#152214 - 07/02/11 04:41 PM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: JPete]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Yeah, I was going to add the C-ration (and 5 in 1 ration) comment myself but forgot.

When I was in the Army (late 50's, early 60's) a lot of the C-rations had been in storage since the Korean conflict and had lost a lot of whatever flavor they might have had. The ones that I particularly did not like were the "Tuna, Noodles and Peas", the "Sausage Patties", and the "Hamburger Patties". The "patties" were about the consistency of a hockey puck and were cast into the can with congealed tallow. Eating this stuff cold was the pits. The only thing good about the C-ration was the whole pack of unfiltered, lung-buster, cigarettes (I smoked in those days) and the P-38 can opener. I used to have about 50 of the P-38's in a drawer; I have two of them left of about 1952 vintage; one goes on hikes with me when I have cans to open.

#152217 - 07/02/11 08:38 PM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: Pika]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Pika, shared memories. Remember trying to make them edible on the manifold of a deuce-and-a-half? I remember getting a case of them on an exercise in N.H.about 1965 and discovering that they were from 1944. And we ate them and nobody got sick. Best jcp

#152220 - 07/03/11 01:15 AM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: JPete]
lv2fsh Offline

Loc: socal
We used to steal them by the case from the Marines on the LST I was on for late night snacks on watch. The deserts were ate first, then the PB&J w/ crackers.and so on. I think the last thing to go was the pork slices in juices but that tuna was bad. And I still have a couple of the "John Wayne" can openers. Ah good times.

#152221 - 07/03/11 08:51 AM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: lv2fsh]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Thanks, Pika, (I guess) for reviving old memories (1959-1961. Exactly fifty years ago, we were served ancient C-rats in the mess hall in Korea where i served. Best things were the P-38s, but the desserts were actually pretty much OK. MREs are better.

We gave our cigarette coupons to our houseboy. Never had to touch a broom or mop while there. I understand there was quite a brain drain in Korea at the time, because the best paying job was houseboy.....

Edited by oldranger (07/03/11 08:53 AM)

#152408 - 07/07/11 06:03 PM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: kramodog82]
rm56 Offline

Loc: Northern CA, Placer co.
I'm a soldier and IMHO MREs suck. They are heavy high calorie survival food. I just tried some Chicken a la King from Moutain House and it is quite good. Years ago I had to force myself to eat backpack food, but the newer menus are really very good. MREs are also hard on my gut(I'm 54). They are designed for 20 year old troops. On the plus side for MREs, you can eat them cold, but why would you because the new ones come with a hydrogen heater packs(just add water)Troops in Iraq had fun with the heater packs, you can make a loud noise maker out of them, sorry I can't tell you how. Of all the ones I've gagged on the spagetti is the only one I can stand. You must remember this all military stuff was made by the lowest bidder. So do yourself a favor and eat dehydrated or freeze dried from REI or a similar source. Its light weight and tastes great and unlike an MRE wont make you regret eating it.

SGT R

#152418 - 07/07/11 08:11 PM Re: M.R.E.s??? [Re: rm56]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
I just tried some Chicken a la King from Moutain House and it is quite good.

I agree. I bought a couple Mountain House entrees that were marked down at Walmart a couple months ago. BIG difference over the versions 10 years ago! They are actually quite good now.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum