Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152106 - 06/29/11 10:56 PM How about a hammock in a trail shelter?
Cubleader Offline

Loc: PA
You might have seen my posts in the last few months. My son and I did an overnighter last weekend on the Moraine State Park section of the North Country Trail. It was short ( 6 miles Saturday and 3 on Sunday) We stayed in the trail shelter. I was OK sleeping on my Thermarest but despite it being a camping model (and much heavier than I'd like to lug around much longer) it still felt like I was sleeping on boards. I like a SOFT mattress. I got to thinking that a hammock might be more comfortable. Would it even fit in a typical trail shelter? I like the ones that have both a roof and mosquito net but they are a bit pricy and if it rains, I'd need to be in the shelter with only a normal hammock. Does anyone do this? I think I could get the straps behind the frame work to tie off to. If this would work, it would be a lot lighter than a mattress or pad and I'd be up off the floor and away from more of the bugs, etc.

#152114 - 06/30/11 07:26 AM Re: How about a hammock in a trail shelter? [Re: Cubleader]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
It would work, however, you would most likely take up space such that it would make it difficult for anyone else to use the shelter effectively. Thus NOT recommended as your primary source of a roof over your hammock. The hammock itself IS recommended as a means to achieve comfort.

If you already have a hammock (or are purchasing one) the additional cost of a tarp is minimal. While heavy, a blue poly tarp will work quite well and will only set you back a few dollars. Of course you could spend a small fortune and get a specialized cuben fiber tarp as well. My point is the cost of providing your own roof over your hammock need not be cost prohibitive. In fact when I first started hanging, I used the rain fly from an old eureka timberline tent.

If you would like some suggestions as to relatively inexpensive hammock setups, I will be happy to help.

#152115 - 06/30/11 07:30 AM Re: How about a hammock in a trail shelter? [Re: Cubleader]
lori Offline

If the temps are much below 60F you are going to want a pad in the hammock - but it will be a lot more comfortable than on the ground, and a blue CCF will do fine.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#152119 - 06/30/11 08:52 AM Re: How about a hammock in a trail shelter? [Re: lori]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Why bother with the trail shelter.. once you have a hammock just put a nice tarp over it and you're good.

as others have mentioned, bottom insulation is the trick

but try it out yourself on the cheap:

http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

Browse my pictures

#152132 - 06/30/11 01:12 PM Re: How about a hammock in a trail shelter? [Re: Cubleader]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
If I sleep on the ground, anything thinner than a BA insulated air core just won't do. Recently I have been experimenting with my hammock and my BA pad for insulation. It works pretty good, and gives me better comfort if I camp somewhere with no trees.

#152143 - 06/30/11 09:53 PM Re: How about a hammock in a trail shelter? [Re: finallyME]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By finallyME
If I sleep on the ground, anything thinner than a BA insulated air core just won't do. Recently I have been experimenting with my hammock and my BA pad for insulation. It works pretty good, and gives me better comfort if I camp somewhere with no trees.

OK I get the if you camp somewhere without trees - but my BA aircore is a *LOT* heavier than a hammock bottom shaped of wal-mart batt insulation and my silponcho (aka phat's deconstructed underquilt).

Browse my pictures

#152158 - 07/01/11 09:05 AM Re: How about a hammock in a trail shelter? [Re: Cubleader]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
you should never hang a hammock or put a tent up in a shelter.

Edited by Ewker (07/01/11 09:07 AM)

#152160 - 07/01/11 09:56 AM Re: How about a hammock in a trail shelter? [Re: Ewker]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hiking in the Smokies, I believe you know what you're talking about. However, I'd be curious as to why - space restrictions? Common courtesy? Park rules?

The few times I've used a shelter (AT at Mt. Rogers, Isle Royale NP), I've never felt the need to do more than put down a groundsheet. However, we did get into some nasty weather at Isle Royale once, and ending up hanging some tarps across the open side to block blowing rain.

Mostly, every time I've used a shelter I've promised myself never to do it again. smile

#152162 - 07/01/11 10:49 AM Re: How about a hammock in a trail shelter? [Re: Cubleader]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Cubleader, I've thru-hiked the AT twice, so even though I tend to bivouac a lot of the time, I have used a lot of shelters, and stopped to sign the register in a lot more. Yes, I actually did see a hammock in a shelter, but it was strung up in the overhang, not inside the shelter proper. Even at that it was obviously a fairly serious nuisance for those who stayed.

I would offer a different suggestion for protection from critters (and severe, windblown rain, etc.). I used an MEC South Col bivy the first time, both in and out of shelters, and felt it was very effective. I've since become enamored of what I can do with my slightly enlarged poncho, and so use a much lighter MLD bivy. Best, jcp

#152199 - 07/01/11 09:59 PM Re: How about a hammock in a trail shelter? [Re: Cubleader]
Cubleader Offline

Loc: PA
Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate the different points of view.

#152219 - 07/03/11 12:46 AM Re: How about a hammock in a trail shelter? [Re: Cubleader]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I think you should definitely look in to the hammock option. I recently switched from ground dweller to hanger and I am very pleased. I personally purchased a Hennessy Hammock Expedition. Comes with a bug net and tarp. But it is a bit pricey. Other options may be a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter (hammock with mosquito net), approx $40, and a cheap tarp from walmart, or even a cheap tarp from Hennessy Hammock (70D Hex Tarp = $60). You will sleep like a rock.

With this set up you would not even need to set up in the shelter smile

#152234 - 07/03/11 06:39 PM Re: How about a hammock in a trail shelter? [Re: GDeadphans]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I use a hennesey Hyperlight as well. You dont need a shelter with this hammock. The comfort is great, back never felt better! On my last Smokies trip we remote camped 3 nights and shelter one night. I did not use hammock in the shelter. I feel it is rude to hang a hammock across center of shelter and inconveinence other hikers to walk around it! However not all hikers are as thoughtfull, and one hiker did use his in the shelter! If it could be hung in one persons alloted bunk space then so be it!

#152785 - 07/18/11 11:34 AM Re: How about a hammock in a trail shelter? [Re: Kent W]
Vincent Mattiola Offline

Here's my opinion on the matter: If someone else is sharing the shelter with you, then please don't hang your hammock inside because thats just rude. Instead hang from a tree nearby. If you're the only one at the shelter though, I say go for it. Happened to me a few times and I just hung right across the shelter inside. Thankfully I did because it started to pour buckets one night. I use a blue tarp to hang over when I'm suspecting inclement weather, and I'll be 100% honest, it has YET to work...I get wet every time. The ground gets wet, my stakes don't hold, the tarp is never long enough, it rains upsidedown and sideways, etc, etc, I always end up wet. So if there is a shelter and it's open with nobody else to share, I'm gonna hang inside of it, especially if there's rain coming.

With that being said, I have hung outside out of respect for someone else in the shelter then just move in once it started it drizzle and slept on the floor.

Regarding being cold, it's summertime so I never bring my sleeping bag so I put pads down and that didnt work, tried a quilt too (waaayyy too heavy) and that didn't work either. So now I just bring my sleeping bag and sleep in that in the hammock and it works great, no problems. I do get hot sometimes though, but I'd much rather be warm and able to take off clothes than be cold and have no more clothes to wear.

I usually drape a big bug net over me as well just because I got tired of waking up with mosquitos in my ears, nose, mouth. I'm sure the Hennesey-style hammocks work great, but frankly I don't have that kind of money (student) so a little improv and I get by just fine. Have fun hanging.

Oh another tidbit of advice, I LOVE to swing in my hammock and I'm like a little baby if it rocks I fall right asleep so once I climb in that hammock, give a little push to start swinging and I'm passed out in minutes. Cheers

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum