Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151896 - 06/26/11 12:41 AM Hiking/Backpacking with Children
yummyromero Offline

Total Newbie and would greatly appreciate any Tips/ Do's Don't for Hiking and Backpacking with Children (5yrs and 6yrs)
Thanks in Advance!

Edited by yummyromero (06/26/11 02:10 PM)

#151914 - 06/26/11 04:59 PM Re: Hiking/Backpacking with Children [Re: yummyromero]
rodwha Offline

Loc: Texas...for now

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

#151917 - 06/26/11 07:03 PM Re: Hiking/Backpacking with Children [Re: rodwha]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
There's also a special section of this forum on Backpacking with Kids.

#151932 - 06/27/11 12:48 AM Re: Hiking/Backpacking with Children [Re: OregonMouse]
rodwha Offline

Loc: Texas...for now
I am very unfamiliar with this forum so please excuse the ignorance, but I don't see what you are referring to. confused

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

#151936 - 06/27/11 02:27 AM Re: Hiking/Backpacking with Children [Re: rodwha]
yummyromero Offline

Thank U for that! The one part that got me thinking was that its crucial to go at the children's pace and to see the world thru there prospective. Thanks

#151970 - 06/27/11 03:26 PM Re: Hiking/Backpacking with Children [Re: rodwha]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Just go down the forum list--it's right after the photography section. Actually, it looks as though one of the mods has moved your post here.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/27/11 03:41 PM)

#151980 - 06/27/11 06:27 PM Re: Hiking/Backpacking with Children [Re: OregonMouse]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
That would be me. wink

#152303 - 07/05/11 05:35 PM Re: Hiking/Backpacking with Children [Re: yummyromero]
Tracy from CA Offline

I camped mostly when my children were young, but I can tell you that they loved the experiences. Here are things I know regarding camping that may also translate well into backpacking....

We usually had a hammock for swinging in (they loved those!), and they also loved playing with their little cheapo flashlights & walkie talkies.

The whole trip is a fun learning experience: we talked about fire/outdoor safety, leave no trace philosophy (made a game out of keeping campsite cleaner than how we found it), animal behavior - they especially loved chasing chipmunks and viewing bunnies and deer up close. (lol, I wish this thread allowed me to upload a photo of my boys then age 2 & 3 1/2 hanging out w/deer)

A cozy tent equipped with wall to wall padding & sleeping bags makes an amazing playpen for little kids/toddlers/babies. I vividly remember them happily squealing with laughter as they squished their faces against the screen net to laugh at us silly adults outside. They were happy they could see us, play in their little "play house" and burrow into the sleeping bags only to emerge a few seconds later with their hair all electrified with static. I packed their little backpacks with travel sized and miniature toys/games and they entertained themselves for hours in the tent with those. Some benefits of keeping all toys in the tent is that we could always find all the pieces again if they should slip under a bag or something.

Kids can learn to enjoy all sorts of things: stargazing, fishing, they can help set up tents and other equipment, they can help cook. They can even help carry some of the lighter things and they feel a sense of pride in being able to help out.

My dad took me and my sister camping when we were little, I continued that tradition with my boys, and now I look forward to having grandkids one day and bring them along as well =)

#152348 - 07/06/11 01:43 PM Re: Hiking/Backpacking with Children [Re: yummyromero]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Couple thoughts, as I'm in the midst of figuring this out too (by the way, the article is a good one):

+ A Camelbak Mini Mule has served my younger kids (about 6-7) well. You'll need to limit the amount of water you put in the bladder - the new bladders are about 50ozs, which is usually too much for my kids to carry.

+ I got a Deuter climber for my oldest (almost 8, about 50lbs) to carry some more of her stuff in. Good gear, but the back length is not adjustable. Anything larger would have been too much.

+ I've limited my kids pack weight to about 10% of body weight, which has worked well so far. The kids are mostly carrying daypacks at my kids weights & ages.

+ IRT sleeping bags, I've had good luck with the Mountain Hardwear and Marmot's summer weight synthetic bags.

- I've liked the Tarptent Rainshadow 2 that Oregon Mouse recommended for three people, but haven't had it out in a downpour yet.

- PVC cheap rainpants work great for kids in summer conditions. I haven't yet run into the need for something better to serve as cheap pants in case of a cold snap or rain. YMMV here.

- Please keep in mind that the conditions I'm planning for are around the AT in Virginia from about May-September; we don't go out in known bad weather, and we avoid temps lower than 40 degrees (the rating of our bags).

- My pack weight for a 2 nighter is about 40lbs; more if I'm carrying extra water into a waterless site. I can chop this considerably by (1) replacing my Kelty Tioga frame pack, which is 7lbs, (2) altering my cooking setup (pots, stove), and (3) lightening my first aid kit. The other members of this site were right, a scale is very informative.

Good luck. Please share your experience. I'm definately still learning...

Steadman

#152558 - 07/11/11 03:54 PM Re: Hiking/Backpacking with Children [Re: Steadman]
mana Offline

I am also a newbie to camping with children so thanks for all the great suggestions!

#152661 - 07/13/11 09:46 PM Re: Hiking/Backpacking with Children [Re: mana]
Steadman Offline

mana

Another thought. If they've never spent a night in a tent, doing it out in the REAL dark of a wilderness area might not be a good first bet.

A backyard test run for sleeping out (with bathroom, lights, and all the comforts of home right there) is a great idea. So is going to an established campground and car camping first.

They don't know what they're supposed to do, an I (who spent a lot more time camping when I was a kid than most) have often had to think about what my kids don't know yet, and then take the time to teach it to them. Basics, like not leaving the zipper open on the tent and that you can pee on a tree, are new concepts.

I hope you have as much fun with yours as I'm having with mine. We're not going far, but we're having a blast doing it.

Steadman

I

#152805 - 07/18/11 03:49 PM Re: Hiking/Backpacking with Children [Re: yummyromero]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I just came back from a 2.5 day trip with my 8 and 4 year old boys. This was the first backpacking trip for my 4 yr old. I learned a few things.

1. 4 yr olds have a hard time getting over the fallen logs that you just step over. They also have a harder time with the stream you just jumped over, or the log you balanced across to cross a stream. I had to slow down for him to go over logs, and carry him across some streams.

2. If you carry all their stuff, they will walk as far as you want to with all the weight you are carrying.

3. A glow stick or cylume(sp?) light works great as a night light. I get one for every night and hang it in the tent for them.

4. Quick dry clothes are a must, especially when they fall in the freezing river over their heads.

5. Bring candy. I like to bring a mix of hard candy and put it in a baggy in their pack.

6. Bring mittens and a warm hat for them.

#152851 - 07/19/11 04:25 PM Re: Hiking/Backpacking with Children [Re: finallyME]
Steadman Offline

Oh, I just remembered something in response to your post. The pajamas we buy for our kids are often lightweight fleece. We used one of my 6 year old son's pajama tops as his insulating layer on the last trip, and didn't have to buy anything special.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum