Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151634 - 06/18/11 03:27 PM Grand Trunk Nano-7 hammock - mini review.
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

OK, so I just returned from another trip down West Coast Trail, pics and report to follow soon, but Thought I'd write a little bit about what I took for shelter.

I had been eyeing SGT rock's ultralight hammock setup for a while over the winter, and took the opportunity to aquire a grand trunk nano-7 hammock, and some whoopie slings withe a whoopie sling ridgeline. I made a couple of west coast trail size tree straps out of some old tiedown straps.

So pondering where to take this, WCT is perfect - no bugs, and lots of beach camping. What place does a hammock have in this you ask? well, nothing! and that's exactly it. About half the sites I stay at I want to stay on the beach. I didn't want to take my full on wbb blackbird for a walk down the trail and only use it half the time - so this looked like a great place to try the nano. I paired it with an integral designs silwing tarp, with good lines and tighteners. I also had my ID silponcho that I use as a "garington insulator" type underhammock "taco" for windblock/insulation. and had a blue pad (wide, 27") in the hammock.

So I ended up taking it relatively easy with my newbies in tow - I camped at Thrasher, Walbran, Cribs, Tsusiat, Tscowais, and Michigan - Of those I hammocked at Thrasher, Walbran, and Michigan - I could have hammocked at cribs but chose not to.

The nano performed like a champ. it is a much *smaller* hammock than my others (speer, hennesy, blackbird) and while you can sleep a bit diagonally in it, expect a bit of a bend - This is not a problem for me, because I *like* a bit of a bend when sleeping, but flat sleepers may prefer something larger. As a small hammock- it fit under the silwing, which is also not a very big tarp - and handled a couple of WCT rainspews just fine. The nice part about this was - really, I was going to take the silwing anyway - that was intended to be my "primary" shelter - adding the nano added a mere 300 grams or so of weight and let me hammock in comfort where it was possible or desirable

All in all I was pretty happy with it for this trip.

Browse my pictures

#151650 - 06/19/11 08:44 AM Re: Grand Trunk Nano-7 hammock - mini review. [Re: phat]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I've never seen a nano-7 in person. Have you weighed it with all the accoutrements...slings, ridgeline, biners, fly, and bugnet? It looks suspiciously like my first homemade jobbie.
They sure have a good retail distribution going...the things are available everywhere.

#151654 - 06/19/11 12:11 PM Re: Grand Trunk Nano-7 hammock - mini review. [Re: Dryer]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Great! Sounds like a good time hanging! So when you weren't using the hammock what did you use as the shelter? Just the silnylon tarp?

#151663 - 06/19/11 04:51 PM Re: Grand Trunk Nano-7 hammock - mini review. [Re: Dryer]
phat Offline

Yeah, when I added whoopies and straps and toggles (two mini-biners) it was a little over 300 grams all in. Mind you that includes some sizable "west coast" sized tree straps that I made to deal with large west coast size trees.. the hammock by itself weighs about 150 grams with nothing on it. it seems fairly well made. it has a sewn end gather that as it comes goes through two climbing quality caribiners - nice but heavy. I replaced these with two little black diamond spectra "dogbones" and hung my whoopie slings on those. Worked well.

It goes into a sewn-onto-it stuff pocket, which I throught would be annoying but I actually love - it's the right size to fit everything, and yet when the hammock is strung, it's hanging off the side and works great to tuck my iphone into when I'm done reading on it - it's not the shelf in my blackbird - but it does the job wink
Browse my pictures

#151674 - 06/19/11 08:21 PM Re: Grand Trunk Nano-7 hammock - mini review. [Re: phat]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Has anyone tried the prussic knots that don't need a carabiner? They are all spectra I believe...seems like a nice way to further reduce weight.

#151757 - 06/21/11 06:48 PM Re: Grand Trunk Nano-7 hammock - mini review. [Re: GDeadphans]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
From my climbing years, I recall that you cannot tie knots in spectra webbing- that is why spectra climbing slings are pre-sewn in loops.

#151766 - 06/21/11 08:30 PM Re: Grand Trunk Nano-7 hammock - mini review. [Re: phat]
Family Guy Offline

That's definitely taking it easy on the newbs. Should have pushed them from Gordon to Camper to Cribs to Pachena just to up the complaining (kidding).

#151768 - 06/21/11 09:03 PM Re: Grand Trunk Nano-7 hammock - mini review. [Re: Family Guy]
phat Offline

Actually, We did Thrasher to Walbran, which will kick your butt. - we had lunch at camper.

Didn't do trailhead to camper because we started at 2 pm, (we didn't indent to start on the 10th - but hopped on early. ) and couldn't get around owen point then - I've done trailhead to camper in a day before (it's a grunt) and thrasher around owen point through camper and on to walbran is a pretty tiring 18 km that feels like about 30 smile

Browse my pictures

#151774 - 06/21/11 10:36 PM Re: Grand Trunk Nano-7 hammock - mini review. [Re: phat]
Family Guy Offline

I was just pulling your leg. Own Point is always good for a few hard spills for the uninitiated. Was it busy this year? Patiently awaiting your TR.

I went last year - May 2010 and would love to go again this year but it looks like maybe May 2012. 5 times and it is a different experience for me each time. Love it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum