Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151687 - 06/20/11 06:51 AM Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit
shotokun16 Offline

Loc: California
My Level 1 in a loksak bag:
[/b]

Level 2 Pack [b]

=)

#151692 - 06/20/11 10:21 AM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: shotokun16]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Looks like you are basing your levels off of nutnfancy's. Mine is more of a 1.25. It is bigger than his level 1, but much smaller than his level 2.

#151706 - 06/20/11 04:14 PM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: finallyME]
shotokun16 Offline

hahaha bingo!

#151709 - 06/20/11 05:59 PM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: shotokun16]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
It's a LOT more than I carry! What are the statistical chances of your having to use all that stuff?

Since, thanks to a recent Wilderness First Aid course, I can improvise for serious injuries, I basically take only the first aid items that I'm most likely to need. In other words, heavy on bandaids and blister supplies, a minimal amount of meds (for me and for my dog, identical except aspirin for the dog), a couple of large non-stick bandages, and not much else. Instead of elastic bandage, I take self-adhering foam veterinary wrap (most likely needed for the dog), which is a lot lighter. If I sprain an ankle, I'll just wrap it up with that with some duct-tape reinforcement on top (yes, I tested this out). A couple of sanitary pads make extremely effective compresses for heavy bleeding. They are far cheaper than gauze compresses, and they have a relatively non-stick coating. The ER personnel and the patient will thank you if you use non-stick dressings instead of plain gauze pads. Again, duct tape will hold them on. I take the little envelopes of antibiotic ointment and antifungal ointment instead of tubes (available from minimus.biz and I found some at my local Walgreen's). A whole tube is too much unless you're out for over a month without resupply. There is absolutely no need for three types of disinfectant, especially since none of those shown should be used directly on wounds because they destroy the tissue and retard healing. Disinfectants should be used only on the skin around the wound. Wounds that aren't bleeding freely or have imbedded dirt should be irrigated thoroughly with sterile or at least purified water, then a very thin layer of antibiotic ointment on top (not down in the wound because, like disinfectants, it retards healing).

Of course I carry quite a bit more when taking the grandkids out, because the larger the party, the more chance of injury. And, of course, I'm far more of a worry-wart when it comes to the kids. But the big kit you show is the kind of kit you'd carry for a party of 12, not for one or two.

With a good WFA course, most of what you need for first aid resides between your ears, not in a kit!

#151714 - 06/20/11 07:45 PM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: OregonMouse]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I like the little kit - the big one reminds me of the bag I used to bring into houses when I was an EMT. Do you use for SAR?

What I'd really like to know is what the contents of your little kit are. I'm always looking for ideas of what I may have missed that will fit/not weigh much. Ideas that help me replace/combine gear are even better...

Oregon Mouse, I like your hygiene supplies idea...

#151719 - 06/20/11 10:49 PM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: shotokun16]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I also instantly thought nutnfancy when I saw that blackhawk roll. I agree this is probably overkill for a backpacking kit, but I have a feeling if you know nutnfancy, this kit is meant for more than just that wink. I cant say I agree with him on everything, but he makes a lot of good points about alot of things. I'll warn everyone he's a bit different, but his first aid videos are worth taking a look at.

#151724 - 06/21/11 12:36 AM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
More than I carry.

I have usually
- half dozen each small, medium and large blister dressings
- 10 good waterproof bandaids
- 10 good fabric bandaids
half dozen butterflies.
1 roll really good tape
6 4x4's
1/2 oz iodine/betadine
1/2 oz polysporin
4 doses imodium anti-diahrheaa
4 doses benadryl

(and all my other gear that will work - swiss army knife, stove alcohol, shirts, socks, undies, duct tape, trekking poles, rope, campsuds etc etc. etc.) I also always have naproxen and ibuprophen with me but consider that more of a semi-regular consumption thing than first aid smile

Edited by phat (06/21/11 12:37 AM)
Browse my pictures

#151727 - 06/21/11 12:48 AM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: phat]
lori Offline

I carry the same as phat, thereabouts, with the addition of leukotape and some gloves (a glove can be a barrier for rescue breathing if you cut off a couple fingers, or a glove). I also threw in a tick puller, got tired of cutting out bug bits.

Also carry that on SAR - they don't require a huge list of stuff because volunteers don't do any kind of direct medical intervention. We take it for ourselves. The most we're really expected to do for a live subject is food, water, maybe the mylar blanket if it's cold, make 'em comfy til the jeep/helo gets there, or walk them out.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#151783 - 06/22/11 09:40 AM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: lori]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Originally Posted By lori

Also carry that on SAR - they don't require a huge list of stuff because volunteers don't do any kind of direct medical intervention. We take it for ourselves. The most we're really expected to do for a live subject is food, water, maybe the mylar blanket if it's cold, make 'em comfy til the jeep/helo gets there, or walk them out.

Interesting. My SAR group included a fair number of MDs, RNs, and EMTs, and everyone had FA training. We were intervening routinely and we had FAKs to match. Of course, this was a while ago....

#151850 - 06/24/11 02:46 PM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: oldranger]
shotokun16 Offline

sorry to sound like a newbie what are all these acronyms? SAR?

#151852 - 06/24/11 02:59 PM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: shotokun16]
OregonMouse Offline

SAR = Search And Rescue
WFA = Wilderness First Aid
WFR = Wilderness First Responder, a step up from WFA
WEMT = Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician, another step up

I'm assuming that FAK = First Aid Kit

I assume you know the more common medical abbreviations: MD, RN, EMT, ER. If not, ask!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/24/11 03:01 PM)

#151854 - 06/24/11 04:07 PM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: OregonMouse]
shotokun16 Offline

Much appreciated grin

#151856 - 06/24/11 04:18 PM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: shotokun16]
oldranger Offline

OK, I must inquire...What is the distinction between a level one and a level two FAK? How far do the levels go?

I must admit to being a bit cavalier about this whole thing. I basically throw useful stuff (things that have worked in the past) in a bag and head out the door.

#151859 - 06/24/11 04:36 PM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: oldranger]
shotokun16 Offline

Originally Posted By oldranger
OK, I must inquire...What is the distinction between a level one and a level two FAK? How far do the levels go?

I must admit to being a bit cavalier about this whole thing. I basically throw useful stuff (things that have worked in the past) in a bag and head out the door.

My Guess:
Theme for Level 1 First Aid Application: People who have the skills and knowledge to perform emergency first aid procedures in the first few minutes after a life-threatening incident
Level 1--
* Apply Life Support Skills
* Resuscitation
* Choking
* Patient assessment
* Demonstrate the identification and management of bleeding, wounds and shock
* Asthma
* Anaphylaxis
* Cardiac Conditions
* OH&S requirements
* Infection Control
* First Aid Kits

Theme for Level 2 First Aid Application: Level 2 responders will be competent and confident in providing emergency first aid. This includes calling for help, the ability to respond to first aid situations, casualty assessment, decision-making, and basic life support functions cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
Level 2--
* Apply Life Support Skills
* Apply First Aid Management Skills for Burns
* Demonstrate the identification and management of bleeding and wounds.
* Describe the recognition and management of internal bleeding
* Manage an Emergency
* Apply First Aid Management for bone and joint injuries
* Manage Emergency Situations
* Apply First Aid Management skills for bites, stings and poisoning.
* Manage an acute illness
* Describe the recognition and management of an eye injury
* Manage Hyperthermia & Hypothermia.
* Describe the basic structure and function of the human body.
* Apply First Aid Management skills for chest, abdominal, pelvic and head injuries

All content ©2007 Emergency First Aid - First Aid Kits, First Aid Courses Melbourne.

Not sure what the United States would cover in a level 1 and level 2 kit/situation. Also, i think there is a level 3, and thats for combat medics and EMT training.

Edited by shotokun16 (06/24/11 04:50 PM)

#152031 - 06/28/11 03:16 PM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: shotokun16]
finallyME Offline

#152116 - 06/30/11 07:36 AM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: finallyME]
oldranger Offline

I must say this is a vast amount of overthinking. The materials in your FAK should be compatible with your training, which is, BY FAR, the most important component of your kit.

#152124 - 06/30/11 11:29 AM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: oldranger]
OregonMouse Offline

I agree with Oldranger! The great thing about a good Wilderness First Aid class is that they teach you to improvise with what's available, so you don't have to carry a big kit (unless you're with a big group). All that stuff is useless unless you know what to do with it. In the hands of someone not trained, it may even do more harm than good.

REI has been offering 16-hour WFA classes in conjunction with NOLS' Wilderness Medicine Institute, and I urge everyone to take one. Other entities offer them, too. The Wilderness First Aid class is a weekend (and generally about $200) well spent! Here's the WMI schedule.

The emphasis in Wilderness First Aid is in evaluating and stabilizing the patient, knowing that rescue may take days. It's quite a different situation from big-city first aid, which is what the "levels" described above seem to be based on.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/30/11 11:46 AM)

#152125 - 06/30/11 11:58 AM My First aid kit/repair kit level .5 [Re: shotokun16]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
My First aid kit/repair kit not shure what level id call it maybe its a .5

*duct tape on a mini bic lighter

*supper glue < love this stuff years of use in the kitchen with small lacerations works great holds strong even with multiple washings

*papper towls use as gauze doubles as strong tp and kindling on really soggy days

*hand sanitiser is alredy a part of the kit but works well to steralize just about anything carefull though burns like heck

*swiss army nife sissors,two blades,tooth pic, tweezers what more could you possibly ask for.

*hot watter and biodegradble soap are all i usually use for cleaning wounds or anything really

come to think about all of those items are allredy part of my kit and for the most part i can address the normal first aid issues i have. its kinda nice not haveing to carry alot of extra stuff. just understanding how to use the stuff im already carrying

i have to admit though a few aleive or advill pm have found there way in to our kit when my wife hikes with me. i usually keep some benadryl when hikeing with people with unkonown allergys such as my kids

come to think of it i will prob put a better kit together wether i actually pack it or not only time will tell stuff usually has a way of making its way out of my pack i kinda like to keep it that way smile SAMOSET

#152130 - 06/30/11 01:05 PM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: oldranger]
finallyME Offline

Originally Posted By oldranger
I must say this is a vast amount of overthinking. The materials in your FAK should be compatible with your training, which is, BY FAR, the most important component of your kit.

You are definitely right. The videos I posted were meant to show where the OP was coming from with his levels.

#152251 - 07/04/11 06:43 PM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: OregonMouse]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Oregon Mouse

Thank you for the schedule - I feel a need to update my skills, even though it'll still probably be more of a review...

Steadman

#152256 - 07/05/11 02:54 AM Re: Show off your Level 1 or Level 2 First Aid Kit [Re: shotokun16]
shotokun16 Offline

Quote:
REI has been offering 16-hour WFA classes in conjunction with NOLS' Wilderness Medicine Institute, and I urge everyone to take one. Other entities offer them, too. The Wilderness First Aid class is a weekend (and generally about $200) well spent! Here's the WMI schedule.

Nice! Thank you for the info

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum