Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150762 - 05/25/11 11:14 AM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: ]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
First priority for me would be a larger tent--one that would allow for some extra space, privacy, and ideally, sound insulated walls!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#150763 - 05/25/11 11:40 AM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: ]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
As there are 4 of you perhaps you could consider renting an RV or travel trailer.

#150772 - 05/25/11 01:25 PM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: ]
Dubya Offline

Loc: California
I went to Bonnaroo in 2007.

Our issue was packing to fit the 50 pound limit by the Fresno airport.

In a big suitcase was the tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses, and lawn chairs. In the other suitcase was the clothes and toiletries . We bought our food, beer, water and a cheep ice chest when we got to Nashville.

Bonnaroo is different than other festivals I've been to, because you camp right next to your car. Other festivals, you park, and then hike your stuff in.

A couple of things about Tennessee I did not expect that you should plan for.

1. Chiggers - I call them the poison oak bug, they bit and it itches. I am not sure if DEET even helps.

2. Asthma - My wife spent a couple hours each day in the Rock Med tent on a neubulizer. Her asthma was bad, not sure why either. But if you or your friends have asthma, take your inhaler.

3. Humidity - Sleeping is horrible in a sleeping bag made of any poly material, it just sticks to you. I wish I had a cotton sheet or blanket instead. It was only in the 80's but it feels worse.

4. Cash - There are ATM machines everywhere, but there are vendors all over and some are close to the campsite, but not the ATMs, as most are inside the main venue. There are people everywhere selling everything, so having some cash on hand will really help.

Bonnoroo is a super cool place, with a bunch of super cool people. You have to check out the silent rave, and the farris wheel. Remember the main shows start late, like 1:00 AM late, so you have to pace yourself, or try napping the day.

Dude, have fun and be safe.

#150774 - 05/25/11 01:31 PM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: Dubya]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Originally Posted By Dubya
1. Chiggers - I call them the poison oak bug, they bit and it itches. I am not sure if DEET even helps.
DEET probably won't have much effect. I've been told, but have no personal experience to back this up, that a woman's lotion called Skin-So-Soft is the best thing for keeping them away.

#150788 - 05/25/11 06:00 PM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: PerryMK]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Avon's skin-so-soft works for me, but it is oily and can't stand the smell... not that I like DEET any better.

#150791 - 05/25/11 06:46 PM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: ]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
For 4 adults you should be looking at least for 6-persons worth of tent (2x3-man tents or 1x6-man tent). Inflatable mattresses (with built-in battery operated pump) are really nice. If its gonna be hot and humid then ditch the sleeping bags and bring cotton sheets and blankets (and pillows). Folding camp chairs are important (1/person). The full size, double burner camping stoves are nice. A good sized wash basin if your going to create dirty dishes and a some cheap big water blatters if water is available on site. They probably won't provide a picnic table so you might want to bring a folding card table (if you have room).

#150792 - 05/25/11 06:59 PM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: BZH]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Sounds like a good place to bring extra TP - about 24 hours in, you can probably trade it for just about anything you want. If space is an issue, just stack it up over the radio antenna! (Clearly, I'm just kidding - I think.)

#150808 - 05/26/11 10:09 AM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: Glenn]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Glenn, Jokes only work if there is an element of truth to them. That joke works. lol lol lol

Edited by ringtail (05/26/11 10:09 AM)

#150877 - 05/29/11 01:13 AM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: ]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Quote:
any thoughts, advice from people who have been to something like this? gear, gizmos, electric fans...

Definitely consider bringing one of these.

6,000 volts should get you some privacy, although you've got to do something like put a rubberband on your wrist to remind yourself not to go too far outta the tent to take a p** -- certainly not within a couple feet of that fence. shocked

I only suggest this because I once went to a multi-day concert down in College Station, TX (where Texas A&M is.) As a UT(exas, not TN) grad, I gotta tell you that that really was in the middle of NOWHERE. So it's late at night and I'm on my back on a blanket virtually passed out from heat stroke and Shiner Bock and the next thing I remember I get a big hiking boot firmly planted on my face. Yet another shiner.

That thing you're headed to sounds great. Probably no need for the fence, since your nowhere is nowhere near any marauding Aggies. laugh

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#150878 - 05/29/11 07:11 AM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: ]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Best advice...be a musician in one of the headliner bands. They usually stay free in a fancy RV or hotel. I play several fests a year and musicians get fancier treatment. grin

Chiggers...I use Deep Woods Off when I do trail work and it does keep the chiggers away just fine. Spray around all clothing openings, your waist, everywhere. Sulfer dust works too but you'll smell like a firecracker all day.

#151041 - 06/03/11 10:54 AM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: kevonionia]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Hey there. I think I can help. I have been to Bonnaroo 04', 05, 06', 07'. And you are gonna have a BLAST!!! I am somewhat jealous of you right now.

So I can be of good help to ya. First off, I would not bring your really nice tent. Me personally I was sketched out leaving my things around, like a djembe, guitar, and my nice tent. Nothing was stolen, but that was also back when the festival was more of a hippy-ish place, it now brings people who enjoy Eminem and Kanye West (......), which I would be more worried about those fans, ya know. I always bring my cheap Coleman Tent, just as a precautionary measure. Who cares if that junk gets stolen ya know.

Also, it could get very dusty. Bring a bandana to put over your face. It could also be the complete opposite and extremely muddy, so bring shit shoes. One year it was so dusty I needed the bandana over my nose to breath. Then another year it rained everyday and I was covered in mud from head to toe. Both those situations were fun in its own way though.

I would also recommend a Camelbak and a blanket. Its easy to find a spot near the stages and stake it out with your blanket to sit on.

Of course, sun screen, not many trees at Bonnaroo. And if your bald like me, a hat! Also if you plan on cooking mostly at your tents, a Gazebo is awesome to have. The sun gets really hot, and there is no relief from it at the campsites. Gazebo to set up a table or something.

Bugs are not a huge problem, not many mosquitoes. But I have heard stories of Chiggers out there. But its not much of a problem. Nothing to be too worried about.

P.S. If they are selling Arepas (corn bread pancakes with mozzarella cheese in the middle, GET IT! I was hooked, so delicious)

#151043 - 06/03/11 11:01 AM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: Dubya]
GDeadphans Offline

Originally Posted By Dubya
I went to Bonnaroo in 2007.
Bonnoroo is a super cool place, with a bunch of super cool people. You have to check out the silent rave, and the farris wheel. Remember the main shows start late, like 1:00 AM late, so you have to pace yourself, or try napping the day.

Dude, have fun and be safe.

YES!! The Silent Rave/Disco is so much fun. And the ferries wheel is great. You will have a blast. And yes, pace yourself and drink water.

#151111 - 06/05/11 12:36 AM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: GDeadphans]
GDeadphans Offline

What bands you going to check out? I was looking at the line up earlier. I would be stoked to see Galactic, Bela Fleck, Del McCoury, Greensky Bluegrass, STS9, Bassnectar, and a slew of others along that line. Just not Eminem and Lil' Wayne, why does Roo do that! Since 08' they have been having shitty headliners, one of the reasons I don't attend anymore. Still a sick giant party time.

Have fun!

#151851 - 06/24/11 02:47 PM Re: packing for a 4 day music festival... [Re: GDeadphans]
GDeadphans Offline

So how was it?!? I am curious, I missed it this year and thought about it the whole weekend. Had a friend who went down and she said it was great!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum