Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150588 - 05/19/11 08:11 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: ringtail]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
The fear of incapacitation is a very valid one. My step-dad died in a motorcycle accident and the head injury was very bad. They still tried for over an hour to resuscitate him... My mother was very upset, because if they had succeeded he still wouldn't have been alive (mentally.)

Other than head injury or spinal injury I'm not sure how one would become incapacitated hiking (not including climbing here).. but please don't enlighten me! I don't need anything else to worry about shocked

#150589 - 05/19/11 08:18 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: wandering_daisy]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I rarely hike on trails, often hike alone, and generally try to avoid crossing paths with anyone. But that hasn't always worked.

I have often provided clothes, food, lighting, stuff from my FAK, and rides in my car to others. Other than beer when offered, I've never taken, needed, or asked for anything from a fellow hiker. I have needed a jump for my car when I got back from a trip a few times over the years blush

Honestly, I can't imagine depending on fellow backpackers I'd meet on my rambles, and, while I'm always willing to help someone who needs it, I've found as I've grown older that I get a bit perturbed sometimes by those who do. I've had to cut a few trips short because of that, and, the most common trait I've found among those that do require help is that they expect you to make sure they get it, and, really, you have no choice. You do have to help them, and you have to see it through all the way until they are safe. You can't pass them off to the next guy once you've taken them under your wings.

Over the years I've learned to avoid certain places at certain times because they will be overrun by those who depend heavily on the kindness of others.

I don't think anyone has perished because I wasn't there to help them. They may have been cold and hungry and wet a little longer, or they found some other pigeon, or maybe, hopefully, they learned a lesson in life.

On the other hand...

I've had people walk into my camp, ask where they are, find out they are miles from their camp or car, and it's about to get dark, and they refuse help. For me, that's even worse because I end up worrying about them for the entire trip.

As I said, I will never refuse helping anyone, but when backpacking I will avoid short odds on needing to, and for me, a big part of the fun is being totally self sufficient. I always thought that was, you know, the point of backpacking.

Finally, I know quite well that even though I try to have everything I need, and to be careful, there is a chance I might need help someday. I don't mean to be vain or harsh in my comments. I've tried to relate my experiences and feelings on this honestly, and, for whatever reason, I've had a lot of experience with people that needed help when I've been out camping, canoeing, backpacking, hiking, ect. I've seen people do some of the damnedest things out there. They've kind of worn me out.

"You want to go where?"

#150590 - 05/19/11 08:19 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: BZH]
Heather-ak Offline

The rule is if I hike alone I will take the PLB (husband rule.)

It obviously doesn't bother me enought to not hike blush

For me, hiking isn't about the "joy of backpacking is pitting yourself against nature" - it is about silence, beauty and the total letting go of walls (/responsibilities.) Who is watching, what am I saying, what am I doing now, tomorrow, who needs what, what has to be done next, etc.

In a true emergency I would probably push the button and live with the horror of being embarrased grin

#150592 - 05/19/11 09:38 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: Heather-ak]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Heather, I would have too say that if I were with a group and someone ended up with a compound fracture, or if I ran into someone with a compound fracture, I would "hit the button" if I had such a device. If we were close to a vehicle I would not, but you get the point. (off topic but when I read PLB I have a sudden urge to try a peanut butter lettuce and bacon sandwich) crazy

Note: I own a SPOT now. Makes my wife happy and that is enough for me.

#150594 - 05/19/11 10:19 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: wandering_daisy]
skcreidc Offline

I think the OP is part practical question and part philosophical question. This is evident in Ringtails post stating that on his "last day" he would like 2 women, where as oldranger apparently only needs 1 (good for you oldranger, I'm a 1 woman man myself) laugh. However, I am not sure I am usually THAT prepared for my last day on earth. I would be interested on seeing the feminine perspective on hiking "your last day". Would you bring a man... or chocolate...or something else.

Philosophically, I believe that we (experienced backpackers) think we are 100% prepared until we find out we are not. Like oldranger, I don't need to bring splints because I can usually improvise one. But I do bring a sizeable first aid kit. I always bring thing I did not use (or eat). Makes it tough getting below a 15lb base weight but I am there finally.

#150598 - 05/20/11 06:39 AM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: skcreidc]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
So, is Ringtail better prepared than me (two is one, and one is none)? If it works for knives, does it work for companions? Let the debate begin....

#150600 - 05/20/11 10:50 AM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: oldranger]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Would not be the first time I over estimated my ability. grin

#150605 - 05/20/11 12:05 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: skcreidc]
Heather-ak Offline

I might bring a book.

but I believe the location is most important. My last day would be somewhere just heart-breakingly beautiful.

Maybe bring some food delightfully sinful wink Definitely a huge bag of Kraft Carmels... or ice cream - or BOTH grin

#150606 - 05/20/11 01:09 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: Heather-ak]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
This is how it's supposed to work for an experienced hiker, with today's technology.

Hiker rescued

He made some errors but thought things through and used the tools he had in hand, including SPOT. Now his family has him back.

Cheers,

#150614 - 05/20/11 05:27 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: Heather-ak]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Heather... from a "good Karma" perspective, have you considered joining your local SAR team? I'm not familiar with FBX SAR but they must have a team through the Troopers. My team in ANC was a Trooper team. Good strong hiking and navigation skills are always an asset to any team, especially one in your neck of the woods.

MNS a/k/a Dixie Moon

#150619 - 05/20/11 08:00 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: Rick_D]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I agree Rick.

Metaphorically speaking, I've never run into that guy. And I don't think he really fits the description that W_D mentions. What happened to him could happen to any of us.

In my experience it's usually been the guy Pika pointed out in a recent post that demanded help. The one who tossed empty beer cans along the side of the road all the way to the trail head, and then along the trail for a couple miles before they made a camp they trashed out after getting completely lost somehwere.

At the Buffalo River NP I once had three adults float up to me on a single inner tube at 2:00 am with an empty lunch cooler and a wet towel. They were all stoned and just plain stupid. They also had three young children and a really big dog with them. The kids were starving hungry and cold, and the dog was tired, grumpy, and hungry too.

While my wife and I were getting the kids wrapped in dry towels and something to eat the "Mom" asked if we had any "Smoke" and the "Dad" asked if we had "Anymore beer, man" and the other woman sat there dazed and confused and said nothing. It took me four hours to get them back to their car and us back to our camp.

I don't know if my Karma tilted a notch towards the good or not after that. I did what I had to do and I maintained my silence and did not offer any opinions, just help.

They don't really fit W_D's description either, but my younger brother fits it to a tee. We've been on dozens of hikes together and he's never failed to bring way less than he needed or used, and it was by his design that it happened that way.

He knew I'd carry whatever he said he didn't need. I finally told him I'd only carry what I'd be using, nothing to spare. It was just a day hike and he went anyway, depending on my kindness as always.

As usual, I asked him to bring a jacket just before we started off. Again, I told him it would be cold when we were coming out, but he held pat and said the same old "I won't need it". I had heard that too many times from him, but this time I had no spare jacket with me, and when we got back I was fine, and he was pretty darn cold and damp.

I don't know if my Karma tilted a notch towards the bad or not after that either. But I know I had to do it. I had to do it for me, let the chips fall where they may.

The truth is, he would've been fine asking me to carry him on my back, and when I agreed, after he got up there and got comfortable, he would have said, "Hey man, can you carry me over to my house so I can get my boombox so I can listen to some tunes while we're hiking, and maybe you should buy some more beer, I'm already getting thirsty, we'll need some ice and a cooler too, and while we're on they way we should swing on over to the..."

Am I the only one here that attracts these kinds of people?

Maybe it's an Ozark thing, I don't know. I do know some Ozarkers wrote a famous song about them:

The Weight

"You want to go where?"

#150620 - 05/20/11 08:25 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: midnightsun03]
Heather-ak Offline

MNS,

That is an excellent idea - I'll have to do some research. I googled the local group (WSAR) and found out they don't have a website. =(

Something to look into though!

#150624 - 05/21/11 09:54 AM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: Heather-ak]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

It's pretty simple. if for all your preparedness, and something happens, and you can't press the plb (or you just fall off a 100 foot ledge). it's the same thing that always happens.. You die.

and in the ends for those of us that may die on a backpacking trip, the odds are that it will be in our car - on the highway, on the way to or from.

It's not to say that I don't value preparedness, and I'm not prepared myself - but dwelling on "what if" scenarios is done all too much - when people take much greater risks every day when not in the backcountry without a second thought.

As far as I'm concerned, I worry that I'll die in my car. I'd rather die the backcountry but it's less likely smile
Browse my pictures

#150658 - 05/23/11 12:20 AM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hiking alone is not about cheating death anymore than solo climbing is. Its is rather about living beyond normal experience and taking in nature on natures terms, which means you are both mortal and a visitor. I don't carry a cell phone or PLB in my everyday life and I don't carry one hiking or climbing or backpacking, instead I rely on my self to not mess up. Maybe the problem is lack of self confidence or not enough self disipline, but to me solo wilderness travel means spending time with the Jim that is infinitely careful and aware of his surroundings and extremely careful, and I like that guy, and I trust him.
Jim smile

#150664 - 05/23/11 10:34 AM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I only depend on other backpackers (or folks I meet) as "backup" in the sense that they could send help if I had an immobilizing injury.

To answer your "Big 3" questions: If I knew I wouldn't see anyone the entire trip, I might add a bit of quantity to my first aid kit (more ibuprofen, extra bandaids, that kind of thing), but I wouldn't change the basic contents. I might carry a spare day's food, just to tide me over if I couldn't travel for some reason (broken leg, snowed in, etc.) - and, if immobilized, the day's food would probably stretch to cover two days. Since my wife would notify the rangers if I weren't back on time (or so she says), and since I hike in the East, where the backpacking areas aren't vast, I figure I would be found fairly quickly. Also, the more remote the area or less familiar with it I am, the less likely I am to wander off-trail or change my hiking route mid-trip - no sense making it harder on SAR folks.

As far as the limit of expected rotten weather, I always take the worst forecast and add about 10%. As an example, when deciding about a winter trip, I take a 20 degree bag when the forecast is lows of 20, knowing that I'll also have my down pants, vest, and jacket I can wear inside the bag to extend the range another 10 - 20 degrees if the actual temps didn't read the forecast. On a spring trip, I'll often take that one extra piece (vest or longjohn top) that seems totally unnecessary. Another example: last weekend, the forecast was 30% chance of isolated showers. I simply assumed that we'd be getting a good rainstorm at least one afternoon on into evening. So, even though I don't normally bring a footprint, I brought one this time so I could pitch the footprint and fly first, then put up my tent from the inside, keeping it drier. (Raingear is a given on all hikes around here.)

But none of this is any different than what I normally do - it's just SOP.

I've never had to borrow from another hiker (OK, I don't count the idiot situation this last weekend where my gallon ziploc trash bag went AWOL from my pack somewhere between the house and the trailhead, and I shared a buddy's. I could have just kept my trash loose in my food bag, and washed the bag when I got home, but sharing with him, and carrying the bag the last half of the trip, was more convenient - and he offered, I didn't ask.)

#150684 - 05/23/11 07:10 PM Re: Are you prepared? [Re: Jimshaw]
skcreidc Offline

Well said jim!!! My feelings exactly! Er...except put "Chris" in where the "Jim" is grin. If we ever meet, remind me that I owe you a cold beer.

Edited by skcreidc (05/23/11 07:11 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum