Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150046 - 05/08/11 02:18 PM Leave No Trace and coffee grounds...
jwild Offline

I understand that coffee grounds are fully biodegradable, and that they will burn up completely in a hot fire, but I do not make a fire in the morning even if there is a fire pit available (I just want my coffee and to hit the trail!) I however have heard that coffee grounds can be detrimental to, as well as attract animals? Furthermore, I hear they are a good natural ant repellent. SO..throw em in the woods, pack em out, burn later that night?? whaddaya think? This all started when my friend threw some night time coffee grounds about 25 feet from our tent!

#150047 - 05/08/11 02:27 PM Re: Leave No Trace and coffee grounds... [Re: jwild]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

While I don't think coffee will really count as "food" (it's just boiled up beans) it may attract animals, particularly those that may be partially habituated to humans and equate the smell with other food.

Me? pack 'em out.. unless you're where fires are appropriate in which case burn 'em.

Better yet go get some Starbucks VIA italian roast.. I don't bother with grounds anymore on the trail since discovering this stuff.. (and I normally grind fresh at home)

Browse my pictures

#150065 - 05/08/11 08:06 PM Re: Leave No Trace and coffee grounds... [Re: jwild]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Pack them out. Better yet don't bring them in. There are good alternatives.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#150066 - 05/08/11 08:14 PM Re: Leave No Trace and coffee grounds... [Re: jwild]
jwild Offline

I am kind of a coffee freak and have not found one of those "alternatives" acceptable. I will however try the Starbucks stuff as I hear good things about them from my non-backcountry friends. At this point, my plastic T-MOS coffee caddy and some fresh grind is one of my luxuries. Early morning fog on the water and a hot cup of fresh joe. Just thinking about it makes me wanna get out there!

#150080 - 05/08/11 11:20 PM Re: Leave No Trace and coffee grounds... [Re: jwild]
NYbackpacker Offline

Those starbucks instants are so darn expensive, i beleive iv seen them for 3 dollars for 3-4 packets. I have the nescafe roasters choice instant packets there around the same price as the starbucks but you get 22 packets!

#150092 - 05/09/11 11:53 AM Re: Leave No Trace and coffee grounds... [Re: NYbackpacker]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
My goodness! I save my coffee grounds and put them in my garden. If you are in a remote off-trail area- disperse them on the ground. If in a more used area or a standard campsite, hide them in the bushes or burry them away from camp - dispose of them while on the trail. "Leave no Trace" does not mean that you do not use some judgement. I can see Phat's point, because my understanding is that in a lot of Canadian wilderness you are required to camp at designated campsites and there are grizzlies.

#150093 - 05/09/11 11:55 AM Re: Leave No Trace and coffee grounds... [Re: jwild]
lori Offline

Mt hagen instant - better cup of coffee, $12 per jar, 60 cups in a jar.

I finally found a jar in the grocery store in Yosemite. It's better than VIA.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#150102 - 05/09/11 01:29 PM Re: Leave No Trace and coffee grounds... [Re: wandering_daisy]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Thank you W_D!

A couple tablespoons of coffee grounds scattered about are not going to leave any trace. They're literally pre-ground and moistened mulch with a few nutrients to boot. Even the CSI team would have a hard time finding them wink

Man, when you have bears wanting Starbucks things are getting way trendier out West than even when I lived there and in two weeks all the club hoppers went from Disco Studs to Urban Cowboys laugh

"You want to go where?"

#150110 - 05/09/11 03:40 PM Re: Leave No Trace and coffee grounds... [Re: NYbackpacker]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I was just at Costco, where the price per cup for VIA calculates to $0.66583333333. Pretty decent coffee, almost as good as tea!

Edited by oldranger (05/09/11 03:41 PM)

#150112 - 05/09/11 04:50 PM Re: Leave No Trace and coffee grounds... [Re: oldranger]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I thought the Nescafe' Columbian Medium singles, at around 19¢, were an excellent deal after comparing them head to head with VIA Columbian Medium.

I understand the desire for fresh grounds though, and if it's one of your luxury items, well, sometimes you just have it bring it.

"You want to go where?"

#150114 - 05/09/11 04:57 PM Re: Leave No Trace and coffee grounds... [Re: billstephenson]
jwild Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson

Man, when you have bears wanting Starbucks things are getting way trendier out West than even when I lived there and in two weeks all the club hoppers went from Disco Studs to Urban Cowboys laugh

lol grin grin

#150340 - 05/15/11 12:56 PM Re: Leave No Trace and coffee grounds... [Re: wandering_daisy]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I spread the coffee grounds around outside camp in the bushes. They're about as natural as you can get after the coffee has been boiled out. Just pack out the filter paper, and if you shake the grounds off them and rinse they can be reused several times to brew more and they burn well when dry.

I had a bear one time grab my zip lock full of ground coffee, but he spat it out. Hard to imagine anything wanting to eat coffee grounds beside maybe an earthworm or a bacteria.

However with all fairness, I do not exactly believe in the value of the no trace ethic. I think many portions of the LNT concept are highly flawed and extremely "area of use" defined. In other words, on the appalation trail in crowded eastern states you would follow different guidelines than on the Pct say through Oregon. A nice premade campsite in Oregon would prevent a LOT of people from trying to scratch out a tent site, while covering up camp sites without tools is very difficult. Having to make a camp site then camoflaging it, every day, would be an unreasonable burden on a through hiker. I believe some "improvements" are improvements not detriments to the wilderness. A rock pile wind break on a summit will be used as shelter by perhaps hundreds of people.
Jim

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum