Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150004 - 05/07/11 01:47 PM Home Gardening Forum
packlite Online   content

Admin

Loc: Pullman, WA, USA
Welcome. As an avid gardener myself for past 40 years, I did not need my arm twisted to provide this little space for gardening discussion.

#150018 - 05/07/11 11:00 PM Re: Home Gardening Forum [Re: packlite]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Cool!!!

Thanks Charles, I'll post some pics soon of what I have growing this year. If the sun keeps shining for a few more days here it might actually grow enough to see in a photo.

"You want to go where?"

#150031 - 05/08/11 01:27 AM Re: Home Gardening Forum [Re: billstephenson]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
We're finally geting some daffodils. And some weird things... smile
Jim

#150039 - 05/08/11 11:14 AM Re: Home Gardening Forum [Re: billstephenson]
packlite Online   content

Admin

Loc: Pullman, WA, USA
Originally Posted By billstephenson
Cool!!!
..... If the sun keeps shining for a few more days here it might actually grow enough to see in a photo.

I can relate. I was just looking at photos and writeup from my last year garden - hard to believe the difference. Weather's been terrible this year and still is cold and wet. Sunshine? Ha-ha.

I've been working based on forecasts of neglible rain. If I get two days of no rain, I'm plowing at the tail end of the second day. What's made it worse for me this year is that I put a layer of two-feet deep tree leaves on the garden last fall and now having to plow it under, all which tends to retain moisture.

But while most others in town are complaining of no garden, I'm getting there with persistance and hard work ( it helps to be retired smile ). Got potatoes in a week ago, sweet onions are up nicely and a huge garlic crop. Lettuce is starting to pop up and I planted yesterday a large block of beets and one of carrots. Got a new raspberry patch planted a week ago.

Tulips just now starting to open and daffadils. Strawberries are looking perky, but blueberries not yet budding. Tomatoes and peppers still in the cold frame.

I'll start a new thread with photos maybe this afternoon.

#150041 - 05/08/11 01:17 PM Re: Home Gardening Forum [Re: packlite]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Absolutely not expecting this, but very pleasantly surprised. Thanks for starting this (sub) Forum.

Quote:
We're finally geting some daffodils. And some weird things... smile
Jim

Sigh...Jim. Your killing me here. There is this device called a "camera"....

I will post up our "native" front garden soon. The whole front is done in drought tolerant CA natives or native hybrids. Unfortunately by September the front looks, well, dead would describe it.

sK

#150127 - 05/10/11 05:53 AM Re: Home Gardening Forum [Re: Jimshaw]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Jim, are the weird things legal?:) My daffodils are in full bloom finally here. Snow has even melted the piles where they plowed our road. May be less of a garden this year, should have planted peas a week ago, and this weekend I was off snow camping in Desolaton Wilderness with a couple other guys into Dicks Lake and Granite Lake for a couple nights.

#150129 - 05/10/11 08:20 AM Re: Home Gardening Forum [Re: packlite]
MI_BeerBelly Offline

Loc: Michigan
Up here in Michigan the threat of Ol' Jack Frost looms over our heads. Mother's Day is supposed to be a good measure of when Mr. Frost will migrate north for the season... Who knows though.

We've got tomatoes started inside, and also plan to have pea's, green beans, carrots, potatoes, etc... This year, we're adding cucumber. My wife has this awesome cucumber dip goes well with everything...

#150190 - 05/11/11 08:55 PM Re: Home Gardening Forum [Re: hikerduane]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
legality depends upon licensing :), but the wierd plants in the garden are just profuse. Most are not in bloom and I can't seem to post photos anymore since they changed something in flicr. There are at least 50 species of plants coming up we have no idea what most of them are as they are mostly about 6" tall so far.

So I've been "putting in rock garden". I mix about a ton of rock with a yard of top soil, spread thickly, then stomp down the dirt between the rocks to hold them steady, and water. This is a project done by the CUBIC YARD. Like putting in 2 yards of terraced garden in a day requires moving 7,000 pounds of material on a hand truck or in a wheel barrow. laugh

Jim

#150262 - 05/13/11 04:08 PM Re: Home Gardening Forum [Re: Jimshaw]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Jim, when you are looking at your photo gallery in flikr, click on the photo you want to post. Then you have two options. One option is to right click and choose a size, I usually choose the largest medium size. After you have clicked on the size you want, it will take you to that size. Then right click on that image again and select, "copy image location". The other option is after you have clicked on the photo you want, there is a drop down menu at the top left of the picture. Select "view all sizes". It will usually default to the large size. You can choose another size if you want. When you have the size you want, then right click and select "copy image location". Then when you are writing a post, click on the "enter an image" icon and choose what type of floating image you want, then hit "Ctrl-V" to past the image location.

Hopefully that will help. I use flickr as well.

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum